Confused about workout meals

Revived

I'm jumping back into excersize so today i took a class at the gym at 10 am. The timing is just between breakfast and lunch.

I had 3 eggs scrambled with zucchini and spinach on 2 plantain tostadas (made with coconut oil). I was full!

Then i went straight to the class and after I drove straight home and ate lunch which was a turkey burger that was cooked with olive oil and sauteed onions and garlic with a little bit of avocado spread on top. Probably little less than a tbs. a side salad with olive oil and vinegar and a small handful of sweet potato fries that were baked with coconut oil.

i just re-read the meal template (after the fact) so maybe i overdid it with the fats? also, these are not extra meals. These are meals i would have anyway. So should i incorporate a snack later?

• Moderators

Post-workout food needs to be consumed within 15-30 minutes to have maximum effect. And the food you eat in that first 30 minutes should include relatively little fat so that digestion proceeds quickly. By eating fat with the meal or after the 30-minute window is closed, you are not getting the muscle recovery benefit you otherwise would. I eat some lean protein immediately after training at the gym and then eat lunch about an hour later.

I love having tuna or sardines packed in water and a slice of sweet potato or two. If that doesn't tickle your fancy, any lean meat will do. To me, the starchie veggie helps me recover my energy. Roasted butternut works too.

I am definitely having trouble with the pre- and post- workout meals, so I haven't really be adhering to them so far.  I work out at 5:30 AM, basically as soon as I can get on my clothes and drive to the gym after waking up.  I then get ready for work at the gym and drive directly to my office.  I'm more concerned with the post-workout snack on my lifting days, but it would have to be something that I could carry with me, or keep at the office.  Fruit seems like an obvious choice, but it appears to be frowned up for either pre- or post-workout.  And protein bars are out on the Whole30...

I am definitely having trouble with the pre- and post- workout meals, so I haven't really be adhering to them so far.  I work out at 5:30 AM, basically as soon as I can get on my clothes and drive to the gym after waking up.  I then get ready for work at the gym and drive directly to my office.  I'm more concerned with the post-workout snack on my lifting days, but it would have to be something that I could carry with me, or keep at the office.  Fruit seems like an obvious choice, but it appears to be frowned up for either pre- or post-workout.  And protein bars are out on the Whole30...

So...What are you having for meal #1? fruit?

I have pretty much the same schedule as you do, and what works for me is this: Get up. take supplements and eat one hardboiled egg. Go to the gym, workout. shower and dress. go to the office. eat packed breakfast of lean beef (London broil) and raw or steamed veggies (usually steamed broccoli, red and yellow pepper slices, cherry tomatoes). in the past I also had roasted sweet potato cubes, but I find I don't need those now. I've not had any issues with any part of this breakfast sitting in my bag unrefrigerated through the workout/shower/dress portion. I just eat it right away when I get to the office.

I've been eating 2 hard boiled eggs in the morning, whenever I get hungry after arriving at work (maybe some berries as well).  I really don't want to eat anything before working out at 5:30.  

One of the great things about the whole30 is that it has specific guidelines and recommendations for meal content, timing, and quantity, and those guidelines have been carefully researched. I was used to working out fasted each morning, and it took me a while to come around to the idea that I should eat something right away when I get up, but I understood there were good reasons behind the recommendation (hormone balancing, for one) and I tried it. I'm glad I did.

While I'm sure you can get some benefit following just the "eat this/not that" portion of the whole30, I don't think it could possibly be as successful without also following the meal template. Even if you continue to resist eating anything before your workout, I strongly recommend finding a way to eat a palm-sized portion of protein+a thumb-size portion of fat+the rest of your plate filled with vegetables (this comes out to about 2 or more cups for me) as early in the day as is practical. Eating a meal like this three times a day is an essential part of the whole30 magic.

My wods have improved so much since my trainer forced me to have an egg dipped in mayo before and sardines in water and 2 slices of sweet potato coins. I train with him at 11am on m, w and friday. Awkward time but I just do it and my results are fabulous. I think FenderBender had a hand in it too.

Quote button isn't working.  There's no way i could do sardines.  Is there a suitable replacement??  And does anyone else have after work out snack ideas?  Or point me to a thread if its already been talked to death.  There's so much info on these forums and i have so little time to sift through it all.  its daunting!

I was a bit ho-hum about sardines and I hadn't eaten them since I was tiny.  Tried them and found them ok.  Kept eating them for convenience (and cheapness!) and bloody love them now.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious--- i do mild to moderate 15-20min workouts 5-6x a week... I usually do my workouts after work since i have radiation treatment in the mornings before work. I workout right before dinner-- should i change this?? I honestly have no time in the morning since i have radiation at 6am and eat meal 1 after it and work at 8

yaaayy! THANKS SUSAN!!

That actually relieves my stress because I don't eat an extra meal.. i just finish my workout and immediately eat since it's in the evening-- but should I eat a pre-workout meal?? I've tried it before and it makes me sick so I stopped and I am doing much better.

I just don't want to do my body more harm then help if I'm not doing what I'm supposed to be doing- if that makes any sense.

Archived