Whole30 JUNE GROUP (:

Mrsfrosty

I'll be traveling both for business and with family this month as well, here's my plan for backup/emergency food - trying to avoid snacking. i've picked up several single serve packets of almond butter, some pureed fruit pouches (nothing but fruit, that natural baby food kind), and i'll make little packets of nuts and olives also. considering ordering some whole 30 compliant beef jerky online as well. For the business travel, I booked at a b&b so I could have fridge/kitchen access and buy my own groceries. 

alex

If you find some good jerky let us know. I can't find any locally and I don't want to order a bunch and be disappointed. Budget is tight this month  ;) . Enjoy your travels! Luv the B&B idea! We are going to Jamaica in August and booked a resort that specifies healthier options. Always easy to order a steak and some veg at out favorite place :)

Also, for other travelers, don't forget about the continental breakfast a most places. It' usually free and you should be able to to find some fruit and hopefully some eggs. Eat breakfast and then grab some fruit for later in the day.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well....here goes....June 3 I did ok....Almonds and Boston Market (beef brisket, lemon garlic spinach and veggies) for dinner.....I'm traveling....so TRYING to make good choices....

June 4:

-Fruit and boiled eye whites at the hotel....I took some bananas with me.....unfortunatly the only thing the hotel has for me to eat is boiled eggs and fruit while I travel

-Went to Smoothie King and had a slip....GRR.....didn't know I couldn't have smoothes for one and two it tasted so sweet I figured something else was in it.....so  I tossed it....about after 4-5 sips..... also had chitople....it saved my life

-I THOUGHT I had another slip with a salty filet mignon at Texas Roadhouse but false alarm....I can have salt so yay! With it I also had sweet potato and veggies (NO seasoning or butter on either :) )

June 5: Hotel

- Fruit and boiled eye whites at the hotel....I took some bananas with me...and an apple

-had chitpole, is saved my life.....again

-outback,...had a filet with a sweet potato and veggies

June 6: stuck in airport due to flight being delayed for 7 hours

-bananas and almonds

-more almonds

-chicken salad and fruit, only and chicken from salad and the fruit cup

-chili's to go in airport.....no chitpole to save my life....had an old timer burger....no bun....had the meat, lettuce, tomato, and onions.....with it i had steamed broccoli with no seasoning....

Hi everyone!  First time to post, but have been following this thread since June 1.  I started on May 31, so day 6 for me.  I mostly started to try and resolve the low energy and poor sleep issues I've had since cutting out processed foods.  I know, sort of a strange reaction and maybe its from something else.  Anyway, could someone help me with a couple questions?  I really miss my green smoothie, wihich I've always made with compliant ingredients.  I have a pretty healthy relationship with food, do you think I could add this back as the vegetable part of my breakfast?  And, excuse the tmi, but my bowels are um, very busy.  Too busy, it seems to me.  Is this normal? 

Lastly, I'm camping this weekend, I think I have a plan but if you have any tips, would love to hear them. 

Great job everyone so far!

Dawn

Welcome! Happy you are here, Sounds like you are doing well.

Camping sounds fun, I haven't done that in a long time. Bet you could grill plenty on compliant proteins. If you like to marinade stuff, fix you marinades/spice and put it in a ziploc bag with your meat before you leave for the trip. Let marinate in the cooler until your ready to cook it. Saves prep time while you are there.  Veggies are also amazing on the grill but I bet they would be fun to cook over the campfire too  :) . Also, If you need something quick and easy, I read somewhere that Applegate Hot dogs are compliant (probably not the best option on a whole30, but compliant). 

I miss green smoothies too. You could probably add them back with a meal. Maybe have a smaller one in addition to whatever you are eating.? I cannot add them in b/c I do have food issues :(

Hey! I started June 2nd but I'd like to join this group :)

This is my third Whole 30.

The first was fantastic. I felt great, lost weight, kept going after. A few months (plural!) afterward I decided to have some sugar "in moderation". I was back to hard core binging within a week. (by binging I don't mean  a piece of candy, I mean eating until my stomach hurts and I feel like crap and yet still eating because there's some candy left in the package. Actual binging. I only do that with sugar or - when I was eating it - baked goods).

Months (a year?) later I tried a second Whole 30 and just didn't feel the love that time. I finished it but didn't feel awesome and went back to sugar the day after :(

There were a few starts and stops in there too but this time feels different and I think I can do it this time.

I have a family history of obesity, diabetes (I seem to have dodged that gene), alcoholism and emotional/psychological issues. In addition I had an extremely stressful childhood.

I think at this point I have to accept that I have too many issues to deal with and I just can't do "moderation" on some things, such as sugar. Thankfully I never got into alcohol or other drugs but I do think that sugar filled that gap for me. It's definitely far more serious than self control alone can deal with.

I've been grain free (other than some oops) for years and I think that had the biggest affect on my health. So many issues cleared up when I cut them (such as stomach problems, diarrhea, heartburn, fatigue). But now it's about the sugar for me. I think that's my last big health issue. Well, other than stress (my family of origin is a source of constant stress - thankfully my family of choice is wonderful :D )

Ok, just wanted to say hi! I see you guys made 13 pages before I even found you, :blink:  :D I'm glad to see it's a thriving, busy group cuz that's what I need :P

Welcome! OMG, we could be twins! This so describes my whole30 experiences. My 3rd as well. I agree, something is different this time. 

Hi everyone!  First time to post, but have been following this thread since June 1.  I started on May 31, so day 6 for me.  I mostly started to try and resolve the low energy and poor sleep issues I've had since cutting out processed foods.  I know, sort of a strange reaction and maybe its from something else.  Anyway, could someone help me with a couple questions?  I really miss my green smoothie, wihich I've always made with compliant ingredients.  I have a pretty healthy relationship with food, do you think I could add this back as the vegetable part of my breakfast?  And, excuse the tmi, but my bowels are um, very busy.  Too busy, it seems to me.  Is this normal? 

Lastly, I'm camping this weekend, I think I have a plan but if you have any tips, would love to hear them. 

Great job everyone so far!

Dawn

Hi Dawn, I went on a camping trip my first weekend eating paleo but before the 'whole30' and I did pretty darn well! I brought some Trader Joe's applewood smoked bacon that I cooked in a cast iron skillet and reserved the fat in a cleaned out beer can (hubby's) and used that bacon fat for cooking the entire weekend. I brought along with me steamed broccoli and cauliflower, fresh sliced mushrooms, tomatoes, romaine hearts, eggs, chicken wings and legs, and italian sausage to cook on the grill. I sauteed the steamed veggies and mushrooms in the bacon fat in a pan for dinner and also for breakfast scrambles. I brought some fruit, avocados - canned wild salmon will do well on a camping trip for lunch salads. I am not sure if you tent camp or camp in a motorhome/trailer - we tent camp so I always pack my meats frozen so they help to keep the other food cold and usually by the time we have set up camp the first batch of meat is thawed and ready for the grill. Just some ideas...

Some observations since starting W30 - I was pretty crabby and impatient the first couple of days which could've been a combination of TOM or eliminating alcohol, added sugars like stevia or raw honey but I did notice today that I am much more patient and I have more focus. Although I did not get as much sleep as I wanted last night, it was quality sleep, I have energy and I am not hungry between meals so far. 

Breakfast was a scramble of leftover italian sausage, kale, carrots and mushrooms topped with 2 over medium eggs cooked in bacon fat, sliced tomatoes and half an avocado. 

Lunch will be leftover wild sockeye salmon, green beans and mushrooms that were cooked in coconut oil and olive oil and a salad with homemade creamy balsamic dressing and half an avocado.  

Dinner is looking like more leftovers - this time leftover crockpot pork shoulder and a big salad with some kind of creamy dressing, olives and not sure what else yet ;) 

The ghee I ordered will be in tomorrow and I cant wait to try it!!

I purchased ISWF and so far i am loving it. I brought it to work with me so I can read up on my lunch break :)

Wow...I'm feeling worse at the day progresses!  I ate a great lunch with grass fed angus beef, sweet potatoes, onions, green & yellow peppers, zuchinni and mushrooms all mixed together. (I cooked it in coconut oil) Feeling really tired and have a mild headache...just an overall blah feeling! I'm at work but am seriously considering skipping out for the rest of the day.  I'll stay strong though...don't want to waste any vacation time!

Also, If you need something quick and easy, I read somewhere that Applegate Hot dogs are compliant (probably not the best option on a whole30, but compliant). 

I am eating the Applegate hot dogs for lunch as we speak! Great Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dog is the name, they are grassfed, organic, no nitrites, etc.

also thanks everyone for the words of advice on the coconut oil. i have the trader joe's one, and used it last night to fry a plantain - some flavor lingered but not terrible! trying to train myself to like it.

Wow...I'm feeling worse at the day progresses!  I ate a great lunch with grass fed angus beef, sweet potatoes, onions, green & yellow peppers, zuchinni and mushrooms all mixed together. (I cooked it in coconut oil) Feeling really tired and have a mild headache...just an overall blah feeling! I'm at work but am seriously considering skipping out for the rest of the day.  I'll stay strong though...don't want to waste any vacation time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry to hear you're feeling crappy.

You definitely had a good lunch. What did you have for breakfast?

Glad it's not just me... I was dreaming last night about eating some greasy pizza, and then even dreamed about talking about how I was dreaming about eating pizza!

And I think in the dream I was even feeling guilty like OMG what did I just eat that for now I've blown it and have to start my whole30 over.

So glad it was just a dream :)

Hi All!  Yesterday was my Day 8 and I was feeling so blah about food by the end of the day.  I couldn't think of anything I wanted to eat.  Ugh.  I hate feeling like that!!

Today (my Day 9) started off much better and hopefully will mean a positive day!! I did feel a little blah at my workout today, but I think it is because I did not do a good job with starches yesterday, I need to fix that up today. 

Breakfast was coffee with 2TBS full fat coconut milk, banana and 3/4 cup light coconut milk, 1 egg white.  

Post workout, dried bananas (I wasn't able to cook my plantains last night, so was using the freeze dried bananas in a pinch) and 1 egg white.  

Lunch will be spinach salad with 2 hard boiled eggs, tuna in olive oil and guacamole.  My staple lunch and I love it!  And it is easy to bring to work!

What kind of veggies is everyone eating with their breakfasts?  I am having a hard time getting veggies with that meal...I am not a veggie lover at all so getting a large quantity of veggies at each meal is challenging for me, but I have found options to add to lunch and dinner, but breakfast kind of has me stumped.

DAY 5 woo woo!

Usually my hardest day, but have a huge amount of determination today :D

Dreamt about food again last night - eating biscuits and cookies this time! So relieved once again when I woke and realized it was just a dream....!

I slept like a log last night probably aided by the fact I was so exhausted from getting no sleep the previous night. I could definitely use another good night's sleep though!

Went to the gym last night but my body and mind really weren't into into...ended up having a half intensity day and went on the elliptical for around 30 mins. Was enough to stretch my legs though.  

So still a little tired but otherwise feeling physically pretty well; although my face has broken out in little in small spots in places I wouldn't usually get them - detoxing perhaps?

I am planning to get some lunch from Whole Foods today, I like their salad bar because usually everything is labeled pretty well!

Best of luck to everyone today!

PS edit after working a few hours... everything is annoying me today! arggghhh stupid job, stupid tasks etc etc lol

My face is breaking out too!  Not sure why, as I usually don't, but it is a bit over the top and I will be excited when it is over with!!

Hey! I started June 2nd but I'd like to join this group :)

This is my third Whole 30.

The first was fantastic. I felt great, lost weight, kept going after. A few months (plural!) afterward I decided to have some sugar "in moderation". I was back to hard core binging within a week. (by binging I don't mean  a piece of candy, I mean eating until my stomach hurts and I feel like crap and yet still eating because there's some candy left in the package. Actual binging. I only do that with sugar or - when I was eating it - baked goods).

Months (a year?) later I tried a second Whole 30 and just didn't feel the love that time. I finished it but didn't feel awesome and went back to sugar the day after :(

There were a few starts and stops in there too but this time feels different and I think I can do it this time.

I have a family history of obesity, diabetes (I seem to have dodged that gene), alcoholism and emotional/psychological issues. In addition I had an extremely stressful childhood.

I think at this point I have to accept that I have too many issues to deal with and I just can't do "moderation" on some things, such as sugar. Thankfully I never got into alcohol or other drugs but I do think that sugar filled that gap for me. It's definitely far more serious than self control alone can deal with.

I've been grain free (other than some oops) for years and I think that had the biggest affect on my health. So many issues cleared up when I cut them (such as stomach problems, diarrhea, heartburn, fatigue). But now it's about the sugar for me. I think that's my last big health issue. Well, other than stress (my family of origin is a source of constant stress - thankfully my family of choice is wonderful :D )

Ok, just wanted to say hi! I see you guys made 13 pages before I even found you, :blink:  :D I'm glad to see it's a thriving, busy group cuz that's what I need :P

Welcome, glad to have you here!  I also cannot do "in moderation..."  I am an all or nothing kind of girl.  

hahah I had one of those dreams too!!!! Was eating a bag of plantain chips because Plantain was allowed, then decided to look at the ingredients and it had Sulfite!!! I was feeling sooo bad!!!  What a relief to find out it was just a dream!  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry to hear you're feeling crappy.

You definitely had a good lunch. What did you have for breakfast?

I had really good breakfast...sweet pototoes mixed with apples & cinnamon and beef with a scrambled egg.  I had a coffee, black. 

I, too, started on 1 June, but I just discovered this thread. Having read all 14 pages, I thought I'd say hello. I started my own thread where I posted a few things about food, the good news, the bad news. But, this is awesome - having folks on the same day in one thread.

As I think I wrote on that thread, I've had a somewhat different experience from others, or so it seems, these last few days. Having been (mostly) gluten free for a couple of years and having (mostly) kicked my Diet Coke addiction a few months back and living (when not traveling) with someone who's 80/20 Paleo and a serious CrossFitter and I'm not a coffee drinker so not having it - when I do drink it, it must be sweet - isn't hard and I rarely drink alcohol, I'm not having the issues others have mentioned (i.e., hunger, cravings, moodiness, lack of energy, etc.). Maybe it just hasn't hit yet? I'm 100% compliant so it's not that I'm actually getting the bad stuff. I'm glad, but kind of puzzled.

Good Earth tea is a lifesaver. So is the fact that it's grilling season. Beef from our local provider of grass-fed, roasted veggies... Even I can live with that. I say "even I" because I could live on bread and cheese. In fact, in times past a day would look something like this: 

Breakfast: bagel with cream cheese and a Diet Coke

Lunch: Sandwich (with cheese) or an Amy's microwavable meal, Mexican - and a Diet Coke

Dinner: Pizza or pasta or something I could pick up on the way home.

Don't get me started on the snacks...! I don't even want to think about it!

In recent years I've moved away from that, what with the discovery of gluten intolerance and all, but I was still able to discover all the ways to eat badly and remain GF. Seriously, I'm the expert.

My biggest challenge is not liking to cook. But, I'm getting over it. Unfortunately, for lunch I threw together some sauteed shrimp over a lettuce mix, with some balsamic and olive oil, and something didn't agree with me. I'm fine now, but, whoa. I think that bag of shrimp may have to go... And, my partner does a lot of the dinner cooking, so that's helpful. 

I spend a good part of today reading almost all of testimonials on the site (in lieu of writing my end of year report...) for inspiration and motivation. Amazing stories! But, my primary strategy for the month, honestly, is to avoid temptation. I chose this month because I am working from home, my son is still in school, I have no visitors or vacations, and I can pretty much not go out. We're homebodies anyway. And, if I only go out with the family, they'll keep me in line, if need be. We're actually leaving for vacation on the 28th, but I can manage.

Other details? I'm on Rx for osteoarthritis and hypertension. I know from past experience that going 100% GF really helps with the joint pain. I'm anxious to see how things are on 1 July! I'm doing the C25K program and 15 minutes upper body work on the freestanding bag on MWF, swimming on TTh, and doing 40 minutes on a stationary bike daily. One of the possible effects of the W30? If I didn't think it would destroy my knees, I'd go for another run this afternoon. It's a beautiful, cool (19° C/66° F) day here - perfect for being outside. That's just downright weird.

So, count me in for the ride! And, if you read this far, thanks!

Day 2 down for me.  Starving again mid morning. Had a few mushrooms with 3 scrambled eggs for breakfast & a coffee with a bit of coconut milk.  Really hungry by 10 am so I had some nuts.  Lunch was ok but had about 2 cups of blackberries after it.  Quite peckish now but not sure if I'm actually hungry or its just habit!

Good luck tomorrow everyone

Murph (MM) - I'm no expert but it looks to me like you're not eating enough and thats why you are getting hungry early before lunch You may want to add some more vegetables/yam, meat like chicken, sausage, beef (for more protein/fat) or fruit to your breakfast so you aren't grabbing for a snack. 

What did you have for lunch? 

---

The best thing I ever bought before going Paleo was a non stick grill pan.  I use that sucker most every night!

---

I love using my non-stick pan as well...but I still did scrambled eggs with coconut oil...not because of sticking, but because I needed to have a "health" fat...and am assuming I should not eat avocados at every meal (I do that quite a bit as my healthy fat).

Thanks buttercup! I just posted that query in a different section too as wasn't sure where to ask.  lunch was 5 golf ball sized meatballs with a few olives.  Dinner was the same meatballs - all gone now :) - and also some butternut stew.  I'm actually going to go to bed now with a herbal tea and hope tomorrow will be easier!

Tomorrow for breakfast, I have a kind of burger ready to cook and will have that with an egg or two.  Hoping that will be better.  I'm a bit confused by the fats quota - a thumb sized amount for me is very small.  Do you have that as well as olives or nuts?  Thanks again & I hope you are doing well.

I had really good breakfast...sweet pototoes mixed with apples & cinnamon and beef with a scrambled egg.  I had a coffee, black. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did you have a healthy fat at breakfast?  That would be the only thing I see missing here.

Kindercow-please tell me about your non stick grill pan!

Day 5-no more headaches but still not sleeping.  SO unlike me!  Exhausting evening boot camps may not be helping, but it's my only option so I'll have to work through it.  Left over tuna salad and thai chicken curry soup for breakfast.  Yum!

Still a little tired too...but I have decided to back off my workouts this first week on Whole30....will kick it into gear next week.  Yesterday my back hurt (I think this is due to carrying my dog...he's "only" 20 lbs, but he has recently become disabled, so I have to carry him everywhere and lean over and hold him when he has to go outside to do his business. I noticed last night my upper/mid back was hurting a lot...then this a.m. I woke up  with a pain/soreness right between my breasts...feels bruised...not above, below, or either side...just "right" there in between the breasts...not heartburn or indegestion or anything...feels "bruised"...I think I either slept funky or it is connected to my sore upper/mid back last night...I think it is connected, as I vaguely remember this happening once before when I overdid it on a workout. Hopefully the tenderness will subside in a day or two. I'm sure it's not diet/food related (:

Day 2 down for me.  Starving again mid morning. Had a few mushrooms with 3 scrambled eggs for breakfast & a coffee with a bit of coconut milk.  Really hungry by 10 am so I had some nuts.  Lunch was ok but had about 2 cups of blackberries after it.  Quite peckish now but not sure if I'm actually hungry or its just habit!

Good luck tomorrow everyone

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doesn't look like you're eating enough at breakfast. Shoot for a vegetable serving size of 1-2 cups per meal.  If you're hungry for a snack between meals, try water (including sparkling) or tea, and if that doesn't cut it, try a mini-meal of a protein and a fat.

Welcome to those of you that just joined us. Glad you're here...the more, the merrier!

So, other than the soreness I mentioned in a prior post (non-food/Whole30 related), I am still a little tired, but not too bad. I have NOT had ANY cravings...unbelievable this early in the journey....been sleeping fine....no food dreams yet......doing OK with adjustment to 3 meals and no snacks (previsously snacked a lot....and ALWAYS after dinner)...now getting used to dinner being the STOP signal..I'm done with eating tor the night. We will be going out Saturday...Italian, but I'll order a salad with hard boiled egg and avocado only...and I'll add olive oil..will have to eat my protein at home before or after, as I don't know what they grill with.  Passed up on the cookies at work....tomorrow bbq at work,but I am going to fix myself a nice salad with shrimp and avocado.....and some fruit....

PS I hate the quote part missing!

Have a good one. Will report in with meals later.

Kelly

Archived