Whole30 JUNE GROUP (:

Mrsfrosty

Hey just wanted to tell you I love olives, sundried tomatoes in olive oil, basil in a 3 egg scramble!!! one of my favorite breakfast. fried in coconut oil, I usally eat a half of a avocado & whole grapefruit too. after doing the whole30 for about 2 wks I couldn't believe that I loved grapefruit plan. I eat one almost everyday. I am so excited about all the excitement on this blog! everyone keep up the good work. I also love love lettuce wraps. I do chicken with green curry paste & red pepper flakes. fry red, yellow, green peppers, onions & eat in a lettuce wrap I some times add avocado & olives. get your oils they hold you til your next meal!!!

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Gang -

Just checking on on Day 2....Some observations so far:

No cravings yet, and not terribly hungry. Enjoying the beauty and the preparation of my meals. They are so savory and colorful looking compared to the crap I was eating on the go. Though my meals have been substantial, I've only been able to manage three in two days, with a few handfuls of macadamias on the go. Need to work on more quick portable solutions that can be grabbed with some fruit and veg when I'm not hungry but should eat anyway.

Took a nap after eating today and feel a little nauseous. More fluids would probably help. Heading to whole foods in a bit for a few things. LOVING the daily emails - well worth $14.95. Also crazy about the nom nom paleo blog. Her meals are so gorgeous!

Food so far:

Day 1

coffee with coconut oil

tuna salad on baby greens

baked salmon with asparagus and roasted sweet potato cubes, mango with blueberries and mint

two handfuls of mac nuts

Day 2 (so far)

coffee

scrambled eggs with ghee, salad with avocado, tomato, sugar snap peas and creamy avocado vinaigrette, melon slices with extra dry salami

Also wanted to remind everybody that nuts are actually a fat not a protein. its the fats that actually keep you satisfied til your next meal. whole 30 is such a good balance of protein, vegetables & fats!!! but you can easily overeat your fats in nuts!!!speaking from experience. I was mindlessly eating them....

hey, i want to jump in here too. My name is Nikki and I'm on day 7. I think its going pretty well so far. The cravings haven't been out of control yet. In fact, i just resisted some DELICIOUS looking brownies that were passed right under my nose. And my husband thought he was being helpful by bringing home a rotisserie chicken so we'd have something quick but i had to give it the boot because it has sugar not to mention a bunch of other artificial ingredients. Actually, i fed it to my 2 and 4 year old which i feel slightly guilty about but they eat pretty well - lots of veggies, mostly organic non processed stuff, never fast food etc so i guess im not too terrible of a parent!

Anyway, like i said, its pretty smooth sailing so far. I'm hoping that the energy will kick soon. Energy has been all over the place so far. Like one minute i feel like i've turned a corner and could run a 5k and the next minute i dont think I'll ever get off the couch again. Unfortunately i seem to have more couch moments than 5k moments so I'm really hoping this tiger blood thing is for real.

One of my biggest issues is that I'm really bad with planning so right now i feel like Im a slave to the kitchen. by the time i get done eating one meal, its time to start preparing for the next one. and holy crap the dishes we're going through! im filling up the dishwasher two and a half times a day. There's tons of recipes i want to try but we are seriously broke at the moment so I'm just kinda scraping by for now.

And also I'm having trouble not obsessing about losing weight. I haven't weighed myself but I'm terrified that I'm going to get to the end of this and not have lost anything. My clothes aren't fitting any differently yet and i just saw a photo on facebook taken of me today and i definitely don't look thinner! I know its only been a week though and I have to give it time but like I said I'm obsessed and obsessed people don't typically listen to the rational thoughts in their heads. I'm trying to follow the meal template but i overthink EVERYTHING (you'll learn this about me as we go on) so i really have no idea if I'm doing too many starches, not enough starches, too much fruit, too much fat, not enough fat ... its making me a little crazy. i do know that i seem to be able to go from meal to meal without snacking for the most part. Sometimes I'm peckish in between but not ravenous. I hope that means something. But i also realllllllllllllllllllly hope i lose weight.

Need to work on more quick portable solutions that can be grabbed with some fruit and veg when I'm not hungry but should eat anyway.

yeah i need to do this as well. so far i've come up with hard boiled eggs and deviled eggs. I've seen some people on here do larabars. i know nothing about them but im assuming they're compliant since i see them on here. can anyone confirm? I also used to make these "power bites" which were dates and almond butter and walnuts with cocoa all mixed into balls. They are soooooooo convenient when you have to grab something but I'm afraid they would probably qualify as this "sex with your pants on" thing i keep seeing around the place.

Ummm . . . just discovered a new favorite thing. Fresh Green Beans with Side Pork (Bacon), roasted cinnamon apples and red onion. So good!

Don't be afraid to experiment!

revived....I think the larabars are all whole30 ingredients.. but I found they led to sugar cravings & also sort of goes back to that idea of trying to get away from all our old comfort foods. I understand the really hopeing to loose weight. but I am at a weight now that is not my lowest ( from doing weight watchers) but people tell me all the time I must be. I also fit in 2 sizes smaller. even though I don't weigh less!!! really try to focus on it being a lifestyle change. I always make my meal sit down and eat it. focusing only on the meal. if when I finish I don't feel completely satisfied I eat a little extra!! really try not to snack. your body will soon go from a sugar burner to a fat burner & you will not need snacks....if you are eating enough at each meal!!!

I am also a WW member, reached Lifetime back in my 20s (30 years ago), maintained for years, but several life changes allowed weight to creep back in. I have been back following the plan but didn't see any change plus I felt terrible. So I found out about Whole 30 and started 6 days ago. I already feel better but am fighting to not step on the scale to see if there is any change in numbers.

i love my new lifestyle. i never have food battles anymore, no sugar cravings, & am always satisfied. i also can go hours now without eating & not have mood swings or other side effects. i love what weight watchers taught me for the first 80 lbs but this is what i need now for the rest of my life. i am so thankful for the fats & not eating any artificial sweetners....i know that i am not eating any thing that is unhealthy for me.

Some Larabars are compliant and some aren't - there are even some with chocolate chips and peanut butter - so I'd check ingredients carefully. I ate those for a little while, but for a snack they're not effective for me - if I want fruit, I want fruit, and if I don't want fruit then I want SUGAR! ; ) Carbs as a rule don't sustain me long at all - I've found my best snacks (when I do snack, which isn't very often) to be that closed handful of macadamias, hazelnuts, or almonds, or jerky or a meat stick.

End of day 2. I did a 20 min elliptical workout, drank tons of water and ate 3 compliant meals

Meal 1 - kale/chive egg muffins, avocado, strawberries, blueberries, coffee w/coconut milk

Meal 2 - burger, broccoli w/ghee, mango, avocado

Meal 3 - broccoli w/ghee, yam, strawberries, Paleo slow cooker jerk chicken (ancestrychef.com)

I had a headache a good part of the day...not sure if from sugar withdrawal or PMS, but finally feel ok now.

On to day 3!

Kelly

I just finished up my work shift and I DIDN'T eat all the free candy that constantly peruses through this place, screaming at me to eat it. Good on me. It's been over a year since I haven't eaten candy at work.

Eats for Day 2:

*Pork sausage; leftover snap peas, peppers and cauliflower mash; strawberries; coffee

*Another nice sausage (grilled this time - I was at a BBQ) with mustard; baby carrots; a little pineapple and some watermelon

*Beef Jerky snack (compliant, Cowboy Style from Prather Ranch)

*Leftover cold lamb/beef burger with mustard; dill pickle; handful coconut chips (this was not a satifying dinner - too salty - just too wiped out to cook

Pretty low energy today, but took my horse out for a little cow sorting and had a great time. Can't wait for the energy to kick in... um I think last time it took a couple weeks :(

I made the chili recipe I posted from 'Well Fed' and it is delicious. I had that for meal 3 with grilled zucchini and fruit. Meal 1 and 2 were also compliant. I did keep going to the frig for something..... I stopped and only drank water. Tons of water today. I finally cleaned out my pantry and frig.... it has been a great day.

Wow day 2 and I already had a breakdown. I started the morning with 2 scrambled eggs, with onions, tomato and half an avocado. Then I 2 strawberries and a handful of blueberries. 1.5 hours later we were leaving for a party and I knew I wouldn't be able to eat there, so I had a slice of leftover steak from last night and a handful of almonds. I expected not to eat at the party, but did not expect my sugar levels to significantly drop less than 2 hours later. After snapping at my husband a few times (and the kids) we left and went straight to whole foods for lunch. so many items had soy and / or sugar added to them, I was super depressed. I bought a plain chicken leg and broccoli with roasted garlic. The food was good, but I was feeling really discouraged about not being able to find hardly anything okay to eat. I assumed at least the vegan oil/vinegar dressing would work, but it had soy in it. don't ask. My husband who is on board with not eating processed foods and breads, doesn't understand the big deal if I have a small amount of soy or sugar if I have no other options. I was starting to accept his rational, and had to call up a friend who just finished her second whole30. She reset my mind and I'm feeling much better. She said until I figure out how much to eat and my body adjusts to lower sugar levels, I should carry Larabars with me as an emergency fallback. With my mind back in the right spot, we had grilled salmon, cauliflower (with Ghee - yummy) for dinner. Now I'm making my first try at Mayo so I can make creamy Italian dressing from www.theclothesmakethegirl.com. Hope it comes out well. 1 question: my husband does not have time to cook in the morning and isn't a fan of hardboiled eggs. Would love some quick put together suggestions for the morning.

had to call up a friend who just finished her second whole30. She reset my mind and I'm feeling much better. She said until I figure out how much to eat and my body adjusts to lower sugar levels, I should carry Larabars with me as an emergency fallback. .

I felt myself really wavering today and found that I wished I had some hard boiled eggs on hand.  I've never liked those things but during my first Whole30 I carried them with me when I traveled and they really helped.  They are like little protein powerhouses and seemed to take off my craving edge really quickly.  I usually ate them with almonds so perhaps it wasn't just the eggs.  Recently traveling, I discovered Larabars and they are tasty and easy, but they do leave me just kinda wanting something else so I'm going to avoid them this month.  Tomorrow I think I'm going to cook up some eggs because I'm not starting off this month feeling very committed to avoiding my cravings.

Breakfasts are really tough I think, but have gotten easier.  I've stolen ideas from others and the best one has been sweet potato hash with eggs.  I shred, slice, or cut the sweet potatoes earlier in the week and then either bake them or cook them on the stove with coconut oil.   I think I might just start pre-cooking them and then re-heating them in the mornings to make things even faster.  They're tasty and filling and the kids like them.  My other favorite is scrambled eggs with pesto.

Morning everyone,

Such a huge amount of posts to read through.  We're all doing great.  I had a revised food plan yesterday.  Instead of the frittata for tea I had grilled rasher, sausage, mushroom & tomato.  I was peckish when I was having it but felt a bit nauseas afterwards.  My butcher is very good to me and makes me up my gf sausages especially for me :-)  After tea I went for a 3mile walk with my husband.  I fell into bed lastnight and slept like a log.  I also had a nap for an hour during the day.  I was awake just before my alarm went at 6.10am.  I went out then and ran 7 mile easy and my hamstring felt good, however, my left leg didn't feel right.  don't know what's wrong with it, but my running partner also mentioned that my leg looked like it was dropping a bit.  Tomorrow I'm going to start up with my conditioning work again so hopefully that'll sort out any weakness I've developed.  We had planned to climb a mountain later with the kids (it's technically not high enough to be classed as a mountain) and climb isn't really the right word.  Walk up a mountain would be more appropriate :lol:   but it's a bit cloudy on top, hopefully it will clear later.  I am running a race in August and it going from the sea up the mountain, around the cairn at the top and back to the sea, so it would be nice for the kids to get a feel for it.

Food for today is

Breakfast 2 sweetpotato & egg pancakes topped with stewed apple & cinnamon

Lunch Stirfried Beef & courgette with butterhead lettuce and a coconut dressing

Dinner Chicken salad with balsamic vinegar & mustard dressing

Today is going to be my hardest day.  I always seem to cave 3 days into something but if I get passed the 3 day hump I tend to do quite well.  I unfortuneatly have no choice but to get over the 3 day hump as grains just dont do me any favours at all.  Which reminds me, I had another sweat free night last night.  Two in a row.  Hopefully the books I ordered from amazon will be here tomorrow so I will have some reading to do, to top up the motivation levels.

Well that's it from me.  Hope you all have a successful and enjoyable Day 3

C

For all of you doing your first whole30....your energy levels might be pretty low for the first 2 wks you may even want to lighten up on your workout schedule. I had a days where I felt like my legs were so heavy & I could hardly get through some crossfit workouts.

But day 21 was amazing!!! When you hear pregnant women talk about the nesting instinct I had that! Just wanted to keep cleaning my house. Unfortunately it does stable out. But now I just feel good everyday. No longer need afternoon down time like before.

I love all the good food ideas....keep them coming.

2 eggs, 1 ripe banana, little vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon...blend well. Makes really good pancakes.. I eat with nut butter, you also will need to eat something else with it. Like eggs & fruit...to keep you satisfied.

The mayo is amazing.. I really recommend making it. Super good with tuna, chicken, egg salad.....

Have a great day! Take one day at a time.

Buttercup: are you going 30 full days of Whole30 or 30 days of 100% Paleo? Eat fat to lose fat REALLY threw me. I tell you, it works! For me, it works by satiating me so I don't eat all day.Good luck to you! If you loved the pork shoulder, try Mark's Daily Apple crispy carnitas:http://www.marksdail.../#axzz2V5RvrScdUse butter lettuce or bibb lettuce for an awesome wrap that even your husband will enjoy! Top with Whole30 appropriate salsa and some chopped avocado for an awesome meal. Only problem with this dish is I pick and pick at it until it is gone. I find I eat a lot less of the carnitas if I leave the majority of the fat on the meat prior to cooking.My husband won't go Paleo, either, because his family has a history of heart disease and he is on a statin drug already at age 47 (preventative; crazy!). He is an MD, and they seem to be the most stubborn to change! They are waiting for conventional medicine to tell them that coconut oil and grass fed meats are good for you before they actually believe it and adopt it, I guess.

That carnitas recipe looks amazing- thanks for sharing! This may sound naive but what's the difference between 'Whole30 and 100% Paleo'? I plan on following the rules of the whole 30 program for a system reset - my body needs it!

I think my bigges challenge will be not weighing myself for 30 days. I have always been a daily weigher so I will just have to trust my body with the food I am feeding it. I am finding that I'm not as hungry as I used to be - I used to eat 5 times a day and letting go of that mindset has been tough. So far I am enjoying this immensely - I LOVE to cook so being 'allowed' to cook with fat is so freeing to me after cooking with no added fat for so many years!!

I bought the Well Fed cookbook and LOVE it! I made the glazed carrots last night and the mayo - my first ever mayo and it was amazing!!!

I will catch up on the posts later....

Hey just wanted to tell you I love olives, sundried tomatoes in olive oil, basil in a 3 egg scramble!!! one of my favorite breakfast. fried in coconut oil, I usally eat a half of a avocado & whole grapefruit too.

That sounds so delicious! Definitely stealing that...

Wow. I woke up so tired today. Holy mackerel! Should be an interesting day.

On the plus side, discovered Tulsi brand red chai masala tea with coconut milk. So delicious. I'm also giving up my daily decaf coffee, so this was a great discovery.

I am so IN LOVE WITH THE MAYONNAISE. Here is something I did with it at dinner last night:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/04/celery-root-remoulade-celeri-rem/

I never thought of myself as a person who feared fats, but I do keep thinking: is it really okay to eat this much mayo/coconut oil/olive oil/etc.? Takes some getting used to. I appreciate all the reassurance about that.

That carnitas recipe looks amazing- thanks for sharing! This may sound naive but what's the difference between 'Whole30 and 100% Paleo'? I plan on following the rules of the whole 30 program for a system reset - my body needs it!

I think my bigges challenge will be not weighing myself for 30 days. I have always been a daily weigher so I will just have to trust my body with the food I am feeding it. I am finding that I'm not as hungry as I used to be - I used to eat 5 times a day and letting go of that mindset has been tough. So far I am enjoying this immensely - I LOVE to cook so being 'allowed' to cook with fat is so freeing to me after cooking with no added fat for so many years!!

I bought the Well Fed cookbook and LOVE it! I made the glazed carrots last night and the mayo - my first ever mayo and it was amazing!!!

I will catch up on the posts later....

Buttercup:

Paleo allows for some dairy (especially butter and cheese), some sugar (coconut sugar, honey, molasses, etc),  white rice, almond flours and such, where Whole30 restricts much further for the 30 days and eliminates all sugars (sometimes even greatly reducing fructose in fruit if you find you are struggling with sugars),  dairy, legumes/grains, alcohol, no additives, and 'desserts' made with the non-processed sugars and almond flour or coconut flour.  It really is a back to basic, eat only what you can forage, kind of plan for the short term to reboot your body, conquer that "sugar dragon", remove bad habits and hopefully weed out any food issues.  After the 30 consecutive days, you can start to add foods back in slowly that are also allowed on the Paleo diet if that is your long term goal. 

I suggest you read the FAQ on this site and perhaps buy the book if you think you wish to dive in Whole30.  It is your personal choice on what to do, but if you post your Paleo diet here in a log you will constantly be told you are not Whole30 compliant by other members.   ;)

She said until I figure out how much to eat and my body adjusts to lower sugar levels, I should carry Larabars with me as an emergency fallback. With my mind back in the right spot, we had grilled salmon, cauliflower (with Ghee - yummy) for dinner. Now I'm making my first try at Mayo so I can make creamy Italian dressing from www.theclothesmakethegirl.com. Hope it comes out well. 1 question: my husband does not have time to cook in the morning and isn't a fan of hardboiled eggs. Would love some quick put together suggestions for the morning.

Two ideas:

1. You could make your own Larabars! It's really quite easy (google some recipes) as long as you do soak the dates beforehand. I wrap them in plastic wrap and keep in freezer and pull out as needed. Larabars can be a bit on the pricey side and this way you can control how big you cut them.  My favorite batch is one I made with dried apple rings, dates, and cashews.

2. Quick proteins - how about smoked salmon/lox? i have some from Ikea and if you need very very quick protein, you can just eat it straight out of package. In the mornings, I like to put it in the toaster oven to heat through and since it's so thin, it's kind of like fish-bacon.

"For all of you doing your first whole30....your energy levels might be pretty low for the first 2 wks you may even want to lighten up on your workout schedule. I had a days where I felt like my legs were so heavy & I could hardly get through some crossfit workouts.

But day 21 was amazing!!! When you hear pregnant women talk about the nesting instinct I had that! Just wanted to keep cleaning my house. Unfortunately it does stable out. But now I just feel good everyday. No longer need afternoon down time like before.

I love all the good food ideas....keep them coming.

2 eggs, 1 ripe banana, little vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon...blend well. Makes really good pancakes.. I eat with nut butter, you also will need to eat something else with it. Like eggs & fruit...to keep you satisfied.

The mayo is amazing.. I really recommend making it. Super good with tuna, chicken, egg salad.....

Have a great day! Take one day at a time."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

momof8: Paleo pancakes are forbidden on the Whole30, per p. 209 of It Starts with Food.

Also, check whether your vanilla is compliant. Mine would not be as it contains alcohol and sugar.

Good morning all! I am also totally wiped out today, lightheaded. Decided to skip a trip to the gym in favor of some very low key yoga at home. The picture they sent out today in the daily Day 3 email is 1. totally how I feel and 2. exactly what i needed after I found myself cursing out my cabinets for dropping things on me. :/

Yesterday I went to a bbq/music jam which was REALLY tough - hard to do summer parties without a beer/chips/dip/potato salad etc etc. But we stayed strong in the face of 1,000 "wanna beer?" interactions so we're feeling good.

Also, in case anyone has a BareBurger in their area, it was very easy to eat there on Whole 30 - grass fed organic meats on top of huge salads. I went to one in midtown NYC.

Desperately feeling the need to plan better - even making breakfast now takes so much longer. I made up a batch of chicken tomatillo soup last night for lunches and then tonight will make the chocolate chili for the week. For dinner last night I had some grilled chicken and a sweet potato with olive tapenade - delicious!

I work from home and am a bit nervous about controlling the snacking urge - any of you home-based folks have any tips? Thanks in advance!

Archived