New Beginnings and Why does June Seem so Long?

Lizzard77

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Do you really cook them in a sc for 12-24 hours on high? Holy Moly."

If you follow the recipe, you do.  I put them in last night before I went to bed, my slow cooker's longest setting is 10 hrs so I set it there.  This morning when I got up the water was orange (weird) but they smelled really good.  I drained 'em and cooked 'em up.  I couldn't tell you if I tasted a huge difference from the low and slow loooooong cook, but I usually eat jicama raw.  I would definitely recommend the recipe, it was delicious and a good change from sweet potatoes or plantains.  I keep meaning to message Melissa from Well Fed to ask the science behind the really long cook.

Wow. So you did it on high? Totally flumoxed but have to try it. My bratty self keeps saying do it on low but I will refrain. I have never eaten jicama any other way than raw, cut into sticks with lime, salt and chili powder like they do it in Mexico.

Nice Beth, it's so worth it. Just made lunch in less than 10 min: grilled chicken with garlic scapes, turnip greens, broccoli, and mulberries. Avocado and gaspacho on the side.

That plate of veggies looks SO good!!

Thanks Shelda!  It was really delicious and filling.  I felt like I was just throwing a bunch of stuff together to get the template down but it ended up being a keeper!  I love turnip greens and broccoli any time of day.

Grrr...my store was out of jicama and spag squash (out of season). However, they did have gorgeous garlic scapes so I will have those to play with pronto. I also have a delicious slowcooker of balsamic chicken out on my deck next to my beef broth. My deck smells amazing. :0)

"My deck smells amazing"

I'm sure it does!  I would love to hear more of this sc balsamic chicken!  I am in love with garlic scapes, I have not seen them before  but this year they are at every farmer's market I go to!  Am buying by the bushel next week (fingers crossed they still have them).  I found recipes for scape vinegar and scape pesto, will make up a couple batches and freeze the pesto and the vinegar, well, don't have to do much to preserve that!

I was just going to saute braise them in ghee with a little broth and splash with sherry vinegar. The produce person said she thinks they taste like asparagus. Is that true? Look how big they are.

I will try the chicken and if it's fab, I will post the recipe for you. It's from my new cookbook, Slow Cooker Revolution by Americas Test Kitchen. Love the book so far.

post-3818-13714165285891_thumb.jpg

Susan, I love America's Test Kitchen, I have not made a bad recipe from them. I think scapes taste mildly like garlic, very green and a texture like haricot verts. Not really asparagus, much milder flavor. I would recommend sauteing them in ghee or olive oil and nothing else. They have such a gentle flavor the sherry might over power them. Once you know what they taste like then experiment :)

Dinner: skirt steak marinated in rice vinegar, coconut aminos, and ginger, grilled. Mushroom medley with scapes and tatsoi. Beet, turnip, carrot, radish salad with curly cress and sesame ginger dressing. I was hoping for leftover beef for lunch tomorrow but we chowed it!

post-13029-13714213025904_thumb.jpg

Love skirt and flank steak. My mom's Asian marinated grilled flank steak was my most requested birthday dinner as a kid. The fact we lived on the beach in San Diego and grilled it in the cement fire ring on the beach didnt hurt. :)

Scapes..cooked 5 up in ghee..tasted it. Hmm..very oniony to me. I think they will be better in dishes. I added them to the balsamic chicken that is still cooking away outside.

I am glad you gave them a quick taste though before you added them to other items.  I always like to understand the flavors of items before mixing them, even if I am not a fan of the taste.  I am sure they will add a lovely subtle flavor to the chicken and chard.  BTW, Chard is one of my favorites!  I like to saute it up with garlic and tomatoes and a fried egg for breakfast.  I have loads of it growing in the garden.

My theory is that the produce employee got the flavors of scapes and fiddlehead ferns mixed up. When the FH ferns are not freshly gathered, they taste a little bit like asparagus. I think she had a brain fart. :D

Archived