whole30 and a crazy schedule

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone has suggestions regarding completing the whole30/60/90 and so forth while on what seems like an impossible schedule. I know we are supposed to be getting 8 hours of sleep a night, but unless I go to bed within an hour of coming home from work, it's pretty much unrealistic. I'm on day 19(!) and I've done relatively well so far, but I can't deny that it's sometimes incredibly stressful (which is bad.. Stress is bad!) I work about 80 hours a week sometimes a little more. My days start at 5 am, end at 6-7 pm depending, and when I'm on call, I am in the hospital for 24 hrs, up to 30 hrs at a time. I am literally on my feet all day long. It's stressful. I know the whole30 is not just about making dietary changes but also lifestyle changes - unfortunately at this point in time that's not possible.

Does anyone have suggestions or advice on how to plan my meals better? Before I started this I had the worst habits and food choices and was exhausted all the time. While things have been better over the last three weeks I'm still consumed with thoughts of meal planning. It's recommended we stick to three meals a day, but what happens when it's 11 pm and I'm still awake with no opportunity to sleep? Is snacking going to derail or disrupt any progress I have made/will make?

Anyone else have a crazy schedule like this? What are some of your strategies? I am looking to use the whole30 as a jumping board for implementing a big time dietary change in order to have a healthier lifestyle. I just can't fully remove the "stress" part of that equation right now. Thoughts?

Thanks!

We all just have to do the best we can with our circumstances. I don't have a stressful job like you, but I do work long hours and I'm unable to get more than 6 hours of sleep on work nights. I also have to have a snack or small meal between lunch and dinner, because it's an 8 hour wait. Having snacks or even a 4th meal won't derail you....it's poor food choices that will do that. It's true that being under constant stress isn't good for you, but being on this diet should still bring big changes for you. 

As far as meal planning, hopefully you have at least one day a week where you can get all your cooking done. Make big batches, portion stuff out so it's ready to go, freeze some of it...whatever you have to do so you can just grab and go on work days. What did you mean when you said you're consumed with thoughts about meal planning? Are you just stressing over the fact that you need more than 3 meals some days?

Thanks for the reply. I think I am stressing over the fact that some days I need more than 3 meals, and I spend other days worrying about what I have available to me at home in the fridge that I can just heat up as opposed to having an unpredictably long day and coming home to have to prep a meal. I generally cook up a bunch of stuff over the weekend (or an off day) but it doesn't always carry me through a whole week, because I anticipate days where ill be home earlier and be able to cook. Unfortunately it's not always predictable and I spend a good deal of time worrying about it. I'm looking to find a good rhythm/pattern so that eventually it'll be second nature but its not easy!

Practicing MD or Resident?  

Finding a pattern that works for you is tough.  I am no doctor (husband is anesthesiologist), but I do work odd shifts that keep me away from the meal table during lunch and/or dinner.  I cannot eat while at work and my break is short.  I find I'm not even that hungry for a meal while working and I'm sure you might be the same?  I am trying to find a way to make time for meals during my 7 hour shift, so 24?  I can't imagine!

I also know the hospitals are notorious for having non-W30 food for employees on call.  I remember the years of pizza ordered or Chinese being brought in for overnight staff.  I feel for you!

My husband brings all of his food with him now.  This won't work on W30, but he keeps a bag of oats and trail mix and a few cans of tuna in his locker for those tough times.  He'll bring yogurts, left overs and other things that will keep for a few hours and eat them in between cases.  Depending on the surgeon, the turn over time can be long or only long enough to shove a few handfuls of trail mix down his throat.   There are still days where he eats at 5am before work and then does not eat until he gets home again at 6pm.  Typically, though, it is because he leaves his lunch at home by mistake.   ;)   It took some real work for him to learn to prepare and take food with him instead of eating what was brought in by staff for everyone to eat.

If you do have the ability to store and eat prepared foods, I have several W30 recipes that reheat very, very well.  Even in a pinch, an already cooked sweet potato with some stir fried dish reheated over it works.  Eat simply.  Find a good snack that you can keep close at hand for those times you just can't get away to eat a real meal.  It will take time to develop a new routine... even those who have no job or a less chaotic job have trouble adjusting so you are not alone!

I will post my recipes (links) for you if you are interested.  They are quite basic, make quite a bit, and are quite good!

All the best.  

Just to add, I think this is much more about what you eat, and not when or how often.   We all live very different lives and will need to make adjustments accordingly.

And keep shredded cabbage, sliced carrots, mushrooms, onion in your fridge (or other veggies) with some ground meat all ready to pop in a pan instead of needing the time to cut/chop it all.  That way, you can just throw it all into a pan and cook up in 10 minutes.  A blob of ghee on top and you have a meal.  Spices, too.

I know it can be tough, but one thing jumps out at me: on your "typical day" where you get home at 6 or 7 and get up at 5am, IT IS POSSIBLE to get 8 hours of sleep. I used to feel like a loser going to bed at 9 or 9:30 pm, but I finally realized that I really really need 8 hours of sleep, and if I'm going to get up that early, I need to go to bed. It is hugely important, so do what you can to adjust things and get your sleep. 

Having a routine in place that supports (and prioritizes!) good food, sleep and exercise patterns is critical. It may take a little time to figure out what works for you, but it is totally totally worth it.

I don't work long shifts regularly, but I do occasionally have an all-night shift (24 hours) when it's my turn to work in the overnight shop. When that happens, I plan enough meals to take me through as if it were a regular day. As in:

M1: 0800 "breakfast" at the dining facility (eggs, bacon, potatoes since I'm not on a W30 and there's nothing else gluten-free, maybe fruit)

M2: 1300 "lunch" of maybe tuna salad (mayo, relish, and boiled eggs in it too), cucumber rounds, other veggies with mayo-based dip

M3: 1800/1900 "dinner" of roast or stew or brisket or whatever with plenty of veggies on the side

M4: 2300/2400 "lunch" again of something else. HB eggs, mashed sweet potato, more veggies, turkey chunks (something to that effect)

M5: 0500/0600 "breakfast or dinner" depending on my mood; it's all about how I feel - do I want something breakfasty or not?

M6: 1000-ish whatever I didn't already eat.

I find that keeping myself eating (and brushing my teeth between; otherwise I feel sick and don't want to eat anymore) keeps me much more awake (good for a super boring 24 hour shift where I'm there just in case a decision needs to be made) and keeps my brain going very well.

Practicing MD or Resident?  

PamH, I'm a resident - a general surgery resident. We probably have some of the worst and unhealthy eating habits! And yes, the food that is brought in by staff and kept in the break room or the residents room is usually pizza or all kinda of baked goods! Thanks for your suggestions, Lately I've been trying the sweet potato and or vegetable plus some kind of protein and zapping it all in the microwave thing. So far, that seems to be working pretty well.

I'd love a link to your recipes! :)

Sorry it took me a few days to get these recipes to you:

I have never tried keeping these in the refrigerator for a few days, but maybe they reheat well:

http://paleospirit.com/2012/basic-paleo-egg-muffins/

http://www.ziplist.com/recipes/1294438-Mo_Rockin_or_Moroccan_Beef_Skillet

Sadly, Real Food Freaks needs to renew their domain name so they are unsearchable right now.  They also have a recipe for Pakistani Kima if you can somehow find it elsewhere on line.  I think there are a few versions, but theirs are awesome.  You can omit the raisins if you want to be a Whole30 purist but they make the dish in my opinion.

http://fastpaleo.com/spaghetti-squash-w-chicken-bacon-pesto/

Find compliant bacon and make sure to undercook the spaghetti squash a bit for this one.  You can top spaghetti squash with lots of things for a good meal.  I just scrape out the squash with a fork and keep it in the fridge for a few days for a 'pasta'.

I like slicing up some left over chicken breast and layering it with avocado and tomato.  Wrap it in some lettuce for a quick easy meal.  If the chicken is well seasoned it really tastes good most any time.

I am on a cabbage craze (skip the apples):

http://everydaypaleo.com/sausage-n-cabbage-noodles-with-fried-apples/

The following is like crack (don't trim all of the fat off) as a lettuce wrap with some tomatillo salsa:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/crispy-carnitas/

This really works on the go:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1983505174/easy-paleo-frittata

I hope you have an easy access refrigerator at the hospital!

All of these reheat very well and make a ton.

Archived