Whole30 JUNE GROUP DOING REINTRODUCTION

Mrsfrosty

Tested gluten yesterday. Whole wheat English muffin at breakfast, whole wheat toast at lunch, and granola in the evening. Felt fat and mentally gross all day. The real problem came at night. I think the gluten totally fed my Restless Legs Syndrome dragon! Had a terrible night with that, it even affected my arms which doesn't happen often. Had to get up at some point in the night so I went online to research a connection between gluten and RLS. Yes, there is one! I'll be avoiding gluten for the most part.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eats for Day 5:

**beef burger patty, broccoli with mayo, cucumber salad, blueberries, venti iced green tea

**dry roasted hazelnuts and almonds, coconut cream pie Larabar, cranberry Kombucha

**teriyaki chicken skewers with onion, pepper, pineapple; green beans, asparagus, broccoli; salad with mixed greens, mushrooms, carrots, pickled beets, oil and vinegar

**cinnamon spice tea

Moves for Day 5:

**morning Sun Salutations

**11/2 hour trail ride

Having major pain in my right arm... shoulder and elbow. Not sure if it was something that happened at my lesson yesterday, but I've had this pain off and on for a long time. I hoped that this diet would cure it if it was inflammation.... the elbow pain feels more like joint issues (arthritis) but the shoulder is decidedly muscular. Finally took some ibuprofen. Sucks to get old!!

Clean day today. Walked 6 blocks round trip to the produce market to get gazpacho ingredients.

Just returned from Whole Foods with my legume products to test tomorrow: hummus, a Peanut Butter Cookie Larabar, and Pacific organic refried black beans.

Happy Saturday, everyone!

GFChris - I like ur legume choices and may copy (:

Went to TJ this a.m. And did NOT buy any Just Mango dried mango. Yay. Thought about a chocolate bar for about 10 seconds...but the thought passed. Came home and am eating a clean whole30 breakfast. Primal pacs FINALLY arrived yesterday (ordered them 6/16). Tried the beef jerky...liked it. Hubby said it was too spicy for him....oh well, leaves more for me! Expensive but I wanted to try it

Non gluten tomorrow, planning on some quinoa at lunch and probably Brown rice sushi for dinner... I spent all day today in the kitchen, prepared around 6 dishes for the next two weeks.  Finally made the chocolate chili...  It's ok but I was expecting something amazing.. and it came out a little greasy... I think because of the canned roasted tomatoes not sure....

Made some Lara bars as well.... so sticky (I didn't soaked the dates in water) I wasted half of the mix between the food processor my fingers and the spoons... those unsweetened cherries are too expensive, I think I will keep buying the lara bars.... 

I have a new obsession with the dehydrated cantaloupe from fresh market... So decided to buy my own dehydrator and will be trying that tomorrow.

Worked out twice today as pay back for Thursday and Friday :P

Oh!!! and now 2 of my friends want to do the w30 too!!! yayyy the more people do it, the easier for us to remain compliant ;)

Glad to see everyone on track. I tried the high fat dairy. Overall felt fine. Then I tried white rice as a no gluten grain. Again, I felt fine overall. But I developed a headache today and then was gassy tonight. Coincidence? Not sure, so it'll be back to clean eating for me.

Still keeping up with movement every day. The past three days has been swimming laps in the pool.

As a side note, I've gone from very cautious with the kombucha to slightly addicted. It definitely fits the soda fixation. I am drinking it daily now. Good thing it's an hour drive to get more. It feels like SWYPO for me.

Hubby has tons if candy, sweets and sodas in house. Becoming harder to resist now that I am only one choice away from partaking.

Kind regards to you all.

Eats for day 6:

**scrambled egg, blueberries, coffee

**beef burger, yellow pepper, snap peas, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, Pelegrino

**chocolate coconut chew Larabar

**dry roasted hazelnuts, guava Kombucha

**stove top popcorn popped in coconut oil, Tejava tea, chicken tenders leftover from dd's restaurant meal (cooked in questionable oil)

Moves for Day 6: nine hours at the horse show, eight events

Long day in the wind and sun. A semi clean day, no doubt popcorn is better than chips and salsa which was my first choice. Another long day tomorrow too as it is a two day show. Packed my veggies and added a burger from the snack shack. Funny how people think it crazy to skip the bun but honestly it doesn't appeal even a little bit.

Started my exercise30 July 31 and worked out 6 days in a row....but today did not work out...so I guess that means I start over at day 1? I do t think the 30 straight days is as critical w exercise as it was/is with food? Can I just jump back in to or row?

To sum up my non-gluten grain day yesterday:

- had oatmeal with breakfast of roasted veg frittata and coffee/coconut oil/ghee

- at 4th of July party I had quinoa salad, gluten-free pasta salad, 1 gluten-free beer.  (My lunch-time meal items were a plain bunless burger and gluten-free pulled pork. Snacked before lunch on handful of medjool dates. Snacked after lunch on slice of watermelon, and handful of cherries. Drank lots of sparkling water.)

Hi GFChris - what GF beers work best for you/taste best, in your opinion? Yesterday when I had a few sips of beer, I immediately had stomach cramping and gas all day - was a delicious bavarian hefeweizen... so sad. Staying of everything but dairy today to see if I feel normal again. Would be sad if regular beer just does that to me now but perhaps a good substitute would help...

thanks!

Kelly - Can I just jump back in to or row? I say jump back in!!!

I realize today that I didn't have a clean day between the dairy and rice. Now I don't know which is the culprit. More symptoms last night. Joint pain in left arm, eczema flare up, and pain in feet this morning. Going clean for a couple of days and then will try again.

From your experience or based on the book - which is the likely culprit?

Dairy was cream, butter and Parmesan cheese cooked with chicken and asparagus.

Also I did use canned tomatoes and cooking wine when I made the cattachatori that I ate with rice.

I guess to many variables. :(

Hi GFChris - what GF beers work best for you/taste best, in your opinion? Yesterday when I had a few sips of beer, I immediately had stomach cramping and gas all day - was a delicious bavarian hefeweizen... so sad. Staying of everything but dairy today to see if I feel normal again. Would be sad if regular beer just does that to me now but perhaps a good substitute would help...

thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Delvallex,

My favorite GF beers are Green's Dubble Dark Ale, Estrella Damm Daura, and New Planet Pale Ale. The New Planet has molasses in it, so I'm going to review the ingredients of the other two the next time I'm in the liquor store.

I realize today that I didn't have a clean day between the dairy and rice. Now I don't know which is the culprit. More symptoms last night. Joint pain in left arm, eczema flare up, and pain in feet this morning. Going clean for a couple of days and then will try again.

From your experience or based on the book - which is the likely culprit?

Dairy was cream, butter and Parmesan cheese cooked with chicken and asparagus.

Also I did use canned tomatoes and cooking wine when I made the cattachatori that I ate with rice.

I guess to many variables. :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yep, pretty impossible to know which is the cause. Ideally you want 2-3 days between reintros. I would eat clean for 3 days, then test dairy again, eat clean for 3 days, then test non-gluten again.

Started my exercise30 July 31 and worked out 6 days in a row....but today did not work out...so I guess that means I start over at day 1? I do t think the 30 straight days is as critical w exercise as it was/is with food? Can I just jump back in to or row?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jump back in! I know this wasn`t your original intent, but maybe now see how many days out of the 30 you do exercise?

I'm back from being away in the country with no Internet. So cool to see everyone trucking on here.

I reintro'ed gluten on July 4th with a muffin, a beer, and some sourdough rye bread. Total bloating and spaciness, followed by two days of digestive upset. I will certainly drink a great craft beer again or partake in something home baked, but only on rare occasions with full knowledge of after effects.

Today, on the other hand, I've reintro'ed some brown rice flour (in pancakes & pasta) with no noticeable effects. I'm really hoping to be able to enjoy gluten free whole grains a few times a week, so I'm happy with this result.

Exercise has been some combination of swimming, running, walking, yoga & strength training. There were one or two days where I really wasn't in the mood (lady stuff), but forced myself to persevere and felt much better for it. Though one of those days perserverence looked like very light swimming alongside my kids.

I say, if you missed a day, it's YOUR Exercise30, so handle it however you want. One option might be to just tack an extra day on the end and call it an exercise 31?

I'm ending day 16 and have been thinking about reintroduction.  I remember reading somewhere on this website about how to do it, day by day.  But I just can't find the list again!  I've looked everywhere and it continues to elude me. 

Please, can anyone tell me where to find instructions on how to reintroduce foods once the whole 30 is over?

Thanks

Sure, 

Dairy on day one (Milk, Cheese, Yogurt etc..)

Gluten grains on day 4 (Pasta, Bread, Whole Wheat Crackers etc...)

Non gluten grains on day 7 (Non gluten Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Quinoa etc..)

And legumes on day 10 (Beans, Chickpeas, Lentils etc..)

Good Luck!

Eats for Day 7:

**green smoothie: banana, spinach, almond butter; coffee

**beef burger, cucumber, red pepper, snap peas, carrots, cherry tomatoes, lettuce, onion

** cookie dough Larabar, Tejava tea

**dry roasted almonds, raspberry Kombucha

**popcorn

**taco salad: ground beef in Mexican spices, romaine, pico de gallo, avocado

**a little cookie dough vanilla ice cream

Moves for day 7:

**second day of a two day horse show; five events

After the cookie dough Larabar I had the ice cream, which was infinitely better. It was a treat for doing well at the show today, and I have no plans on continuing to eat ice cream (it never was my favorite desert when I ate dessert anyway.). I want to do more Crossfit style home workouts, but my elbow/arm/ shoulder makes it tough to do push-ups and other basic moves. Will try to get back into the workout groove next week.

So......I was ok until I met up with a friend for lunch and completely bombed eating paleo out. We chose to eat at Village Inn on Friday (a sort of diner) and the thought of a salad didn't agree with me. Also we were on his lunch hour so no time to really go somewhere and find something decent. I had a burger with fries and a crepe because I was starving. So my reinto will officially start this coming Saturday to wait for it to get out of my system.

The affects I did feel was VERY tired on the drive back but I know I have a gluten intolerance already. I'm pretty sure it was the bread, other than the fatigue I didn't feel any other ill effects.

Yesterday was my legume reintro.  Peanut butter cookie Larabar between M1 and M2, hummus at M2 and organic refried black beans with M3.

Just before and continuing after M3, was slightly gassy. Tummy has a bloat on it today.

For me, that pretty much concludes my reintro. In summary, dairy makes my stomach hurt and non-gluten grains and legumes make me gassy and bloated.  I'm not going to reintro soy: I have no interest in including soy in my diet again. I will try goat and sheep cheese at some point (maybe at someone's house) but not motivated enough now to test it.

So, dairy is gone from my diet for the foreseeable future, and I'm fine with that. The non-gluten grains and legumes, I'll only have them very sporadically: at someone's house or out to eat as part of a special/unique meal (there's a restaurant an hour away that makes the best gluten-free pizza - when I'm in the area, I will still have that pizza). I won't have non-gluten grains and legumes in my home. I will enjoy my red wine, perhaps not as much as I did before, and even that I'm ok with.

Going forward, I intend to eat clean as much as possible. I like how I feel eating real whole food, and especially like feeling satisfied (not overstuffed) after a meal. 

A somewhat related aside: I discovered my favorite salad dressing pre-W30 (Ken's Italian) has MSG in it - so disappointed. Will continue to make my own, or buy a bottled version with no nasties. 

Hey, there! Just checking in as reading what/how others are doing is helpful!

Saturday morning I did my C25K workout: walk 5 minutes, jog 20 minutes, walk 5 minutes. And, I did it. Which. Is. Huge. It was ridiculously hot, too. This morning it was walk 5 minutes, jog 5, walk 3, jog 8, walk 3, jog 5, walk 5. Onward and upward! It's a three day a week program which is great since I have to let my knees recover, such as they're able. Yesterday we went kayaking for about 90 minutes, too. 

As for food - on our way back from the lake my son wanted to stop at the ice cream stand and I caved and had a sausage on a bun! A regular bun. I've discovered (pre W30) that a gluten product every week or so doesn't bother me. It's when it becomes a regular thing that my knees (and stomach) swell. But, my partner got an ice cream cone and shared. Yup, got to keep ice cream off the list. Other than that, I'm sticking pretty close. Last night I had that fabulous ginger-lime shrimp on a bed of romaine. And, this morning it was back to my eggs with spinach, peppers, and avocado. I'm so bummer that Costco didn't have any more avocado. I was getting 5 or 6  in a bag for $5.99. At the grocery they were $2.00 a piece. Ugh! 

Sounds like we're all committed to generally clean eating with the occasional intentional cave. And, personally, I think that's the key to success! Have a great week, everyone!

OK, so I'm been MIA for a couple of days. Here's a summary:

First, thanks to everyone for the feedback on my missing exercise on Saturday...I ended up missing Sunday as well....so I've decided to take the kinder approach and just see how many days of the 30 days (or let's say 31 for July, since it has 31 days) I DO exercise. Considering June I only worked out 3 or 4 times...and thus far in July I worked out 6 times (I started June 30 actually), I'm already "ahead" of last month (:

My reintro of dairy last week was fine.....don't think I"ll keep much dairy in my diet except occasional greek yogurt or string cheese....maybe ince cream for special occasions.  Non-gluten grains...had quinoa, GF roll and corn tortillias.....don't really miss any of that except maybe occasional corn tortillia at Mexican restaurant....might need to test again because the day I tested non gluten grains I also ate a TON of dried mango and had a stomach ache (pretty sure it was the mango and not the grains...because I've done this to myself before).  Didn't test out gluten or legumes yet...BECAUSE....

Basiclaly, Saturday and Sunday I derailed and would classify my eating as OFF-ROADING both days. We went out and I got sweet potato fries (don't know what kind of oil used), had a pork loin and they put sauce on top (I didn't ask what was in it) and since they smothered my veggies in butter (I asked for them steamed, plain)...but ate them anyway....to "apologize"...they brought us a slice of spimoni ice cream...and I had a couple of bites (didnt' taste very sweet....not sure what they made it with).  Anyway, all weekend, period-time which as a result I was wanting to eat everything...had tons of snacks...fruit....string cheese, beef jerky, pistachios! So, yesterday I pulled the scale out to see if I'm up in weight due to the excessive eating for two days. Yup. Up a lb.

I put the scale away again (hopefully til August 1)....I will work out 20 minutes tonight...no matter what...and I am back to "clean" Whole 30 eating today and tomorrow...the Wednesday I have a lunch date with work friends for Thai food to get my "drunken noodles" but will eath clean for breakfast and dinner....and then then wait a couple more days before testing anything else out. I think I'm basically done with reintro/testing...I don't really miss any legumes or grains.....and would only have occasionally. So....I"m pretty much done. After the meals I had sat/sun I was sleepy and a little headachey.

That's my update for now.

Kelly

So yesterday I had brown rice and that didn't go well... I felt bloating all day couldn't even try the quinoa at night.... so I tried it today and same thing! I guess that means no grains at all for me....  I'm going to try legumes on Wednesday and will start the reintroduction again on Saturday to make sure... 

Last night tried for the first time the kombucha.... ouch...didn't like it at all.... and still have 3/4 of a bottle... :blink:  

This week I'm doing 30 minutes work outs, increased by 5 minutes and will increase a little each week....  already 8 days on the Exercise30!  WOW!

Archived