Whole30 JUNE GROUP DOING REINTRODUCTION

Mrsfrosty

Exercise 30 updates: dance rehearsal today + walked about 4 miles, spread out over the day. Even with some of the reintro effects (gluten the only real problem so far), I have been feeling some of that great energy that eluded me...eating, resting & exercising.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eats for Day 8:

**ground beef fried with greens and an egg, coffee

**cucumber, carrots and snap peas dipped in almond butter, cherry tomatoes

**Venti ice green tea

**chicken curry with coconut milk, broccoli, white rice, chocolate chip brownie Larabar

No official moves today.

Tummy issues from the ice cream, won't do that again. Really enjoyed my white rice as a vehicle for the delicious coconut curry liquid! Only plan on having it once a week or so. Breakfast kept me full until way past lunch. Am I overdoing the Larabars? That remains to be seen. I really look forward to them so for now they stay.

Did strength training routine at gym yesterday. Takes ~45 minutes.

I'm doing the same as Kelly/Mrs. Frosty: exercising as much as I can this month vs. trying to do it every day. My normal is 4 days a week: if I can have some weeks with 5 days or more, that's a bonus.

Ate clean all day yesterday, except for dinner out with friends last night. Had a salad with oil and vinegar, grilled monkfish and vegetables (olive oil), with some broccoli rabe and spinach in olive oil. Hubby and I split a bottle of red wine (a Sangiovese blend of sangiovese/merlot/cabernet). Tummy bloat this morning - that's the price I pay for my red wine.  :) 

Hi all -

When you add dairy back into your meals, ie yogurt, how are you fitting it into the meal plan/ideal plate? If a typical plate on W30 would be 1-2 palm size protein servings, the rest veg, occasional fruit and always some avocado/nuts/fat - how are you fitting dairy into this?

I am interested in having dairy (whole, grassfed) back in my life somewhat regularly but don't want to return to my snack habit. I've so far been adding a bit of cheese or a serving of yogurt alongside my meal and correspondingly reducing the other fats (1/4 or no avocado at the meal instead of maybe 1/2). Still cooking in coconut oil and ghee, and eating about 1/2 avocado a day at minimum anyway. this morning I brought back my beloved chia pudding breakfast (chia seeds, almond milk, unsweetened cacao and a banana) - added almond butter but then did not add any sweetener - had some veg on the side and hoping it keeps me full!

haven't had a good test of beans or nongluten grains because i had a rice noodle dish with bean sprouts one night on the same day i ate a tamale and pupusa so hard to tell if my not-great feeling was due to bean sprouts or  the grains. Will retest those I think - but really would like to keep off all grains except for special times.

When you add dairy back into your meals, ie yogurt, how are you fitting it into the meal plan/ideal plate? If a typical plate on W30 would be 1-2 palm size protein servings, the rest veg, occasional fruit and always some avocado/nuts/fat - how are you fitting dairy into this?

I am interested in having dairy (whole, grassfed) back in my life somewhat regularly but don't want to return to my snack habit. I've so far been adding a bit of cheese or a serving of yogurt alongside my meal and correspondingly reducing the other fats (1/4 or no avocado at the meal instead of maybe 1/2). 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think it would depend on how much and what you're adding back in.  

For me, dairy on my reintro was organic half and half in my coffee at M1, a slice of havarti cheese at M2, and spinach/artichoke dip made with cream cheese at M3.  All my meals followed the template: I didn't make any changes.

Is this a calorie concern, and/or concern with over-stuffing yourself?  If you're having yogurt, maybe instead of 2 palm sizes of protein at that meal, you have 1 - 1.5? 

This is all guesswork for me here (as I'm not planning to have any dairy for the forseeable future), but maybe you just play with protein serving sizes when adding back in dairy to discover what works for you?

Good morning everyone! Well, I unintentially off-roaded for a third day in a row (Sat/Sun/Mon)...I had a clean breakfast and lunch...with the intention of a nice stir fry for dinner....BUT....instead went to Safeway on the way home to pick up more Kombucha (my fav is gingerade and mystic mango...cosmic cranberry also)....and I decided to get chicken strips from the deli....bad, I know...breaded and deep fried. I ate those for dinner, with broccoli....then had corn tortillias with cheese and then about 3 handfuls of pistachios. I have basically been eating pistachios every night after dinner...way over the correct portion....and I know it's supposed to be "occasional"....

Doing a clean Whole30 for 30 days really DID reset my system! How do I know???

Well, today I pay the price for the 3 days of off-roading!!! I woke up with a huge stomach ache...still hurts...both in tummy area and below in digestive area.  Of course, don't know specifically what the culprit was....but my guess is the corn tortillias with the cheese....even though that's two food groups. I'm eating clean today....hopefully my stomach will stop hurting...hard to focus here at work and I have a MAJOR project due. Meal 1 was eggs/egg whites, bell peppers, zucchini, carrots and guacamole as my healthy fat. Having a gingerade kombucha (I love ginger ale, so the gingerade flavor is great for me...plus doesn't add fruit like the mango or cranberry would...so I have one gingerade most mornings...ginger is good for the tummy...so hope it helps my tummy today!).

Lunch and dinner WILL be clean Whole 30. Tomorrow I am going to Thai food and "drunken noodles" with coworkers...and will be SURE to have a clean breakfast and dinner. Thursday I had better get back on Whole30 "clean" for several days before I do any more reintros or go off-roading again.  I guess I got out of my Whole 30 routine...eat clean, post, log food, click "I did it" link in newsletter.  I felt so horrible this a.m. with my food and stomach ache that I pulled the scale out (2nd time now since July 1...the other day 159.5 and today 160.5, which is up from the 157 I was a week ago on July 1. I know, I put the scale away again...and I need to leave it put away until August 1...and only weigh once a month....so not obsessed and focused on the number again...but I just "had" to see what damage on the scale since I knew I ate inappropriately. It actully helps reinforce my resolve to get back on track.

The stomach ache does it too. Don't normally have those...so it's not a fun experience. Also, my neighbor's dog bit me this weekend and yesrterday I had to get a tetnus shot and now have to take antibiotics 3X a day for 7 days...no choice. Ugh!  Time of month ending soon (one good thing....). Lot going on I guess. That's one of my excuses for eating and being so out of control hungry/munchy...period time. I don't want to undo all the hard work/accomplishments.  Thanks for letting me vent/confess/share.

Kelly

Thanks for letting me vent/confess/share.

Kelly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly, I appreciate your full disclosure and honesty.  I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly (and about getting bitten by the dog - yikes!)

Let's face it, we're all human, and this is a learning process. It sounds like you have a good plan to get back on the horse again ... to me, that's part and parcel of building this new relationship with food.  Even as Melissa and Dallas say, "it's not Whole365" -- there are going to be some off-days or off-moments, some intentional, some not-so-much.

You did so well on the Whole30, so I know you can eat this way again.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think it would depend on how much and what you're adding back in.  

For me, dairy on my reintro was organic half and half in my coffee at M1, a slice of havarti cheese at M2, and spinach/artichoke dip made with cream cheese at M3.  All my meals followed the template: I didn't make any changes.

Is this a calorie concern, and/or concern with over-stuffing yourself?  If you're having yogurt, maybe instead of 2 palm sizes of protein at that meal, you have 1 - 1.5? 

This is all guesswork for me here (as I'm not planning to have any dairy for the forseeable future), but maybe you just play with protein serving sizes when adding back in dairy to discover what works for you?

Thanks - that is helpful! Will try reducing both the protein and fats a bit if adding dairy. It's both a calorie/stuffed concern to be honest. I quite like the weight loss I saw on this and would like to maintain something close to it - won't be totally possible since alcohol is back in my life, probably 3-4 days a week. I know that weight should not be our primary focus and it's more about health and healthy habits, but it does matter a bit to me. Just trying to find the right balance of all of it. :)

Kelly - maybe it's just a matter of being grateful for the lesson - now you know what the breaded chicken/quesadillas do for you - now you can choose when it is and is not worth it to feel that way (totally with you on the drunken noodles!).

GFChris and Delvalex:  Thank you both. Yes, I am definitely grateful for these lessons...and for the "signs" that the 30 day Whole 30 helped me reset my system enough to be able to "have" these reactions for me to learn from. If I added stuff back and had no issues (at least visable ones, there may be internal ones that we don't see/recognize), then I would "think" all is a go. Kinda glad that's not the case and I can learn what is healthier for me and what is not. Good news..I thought the drunken noodle thai food lunch date was tomorrow, but it's not til Friday. So, my plan is to eat clean and "recover" until lunchtime Friday for the drunken noodles...and then RIGHT BACK on clean Whole30...think I need to do that for a while before I reintroduce anything or off-road. As for Exercise, did not yesterday and have to work late tonight and all week, so may not get much in this week, but plan to do so on the weekend and hopefully next week will be less insane at work and I can take walks or something.

Thanks again for the support. I am so grateful for this Whole 30 experience (all of it) and for the support and friendships found here. I'll check in again later.

Kelly

Had a borderline migraine headache today, exacerbated by the hard cider I drank last night (which also made me instantly bloated). I'm starting to worry I'll never be able to drink again!

Exercise today was yoga sequences for headaches & hips. Was planning to do legume reintroduction tomorrow, but may wait a few days.

Blergh...

Eats for day 8:

**2 hotdogs with mustard, large apricot, coffee

**dry roasted almonds, grapes, ice Pelegrino with lime

**teriyaki salmon, buckwheat noodles with sunshine sauce (modified from Well Fed), salad (romaine, red pepp, cucumber, avocado, balsamic dressing), grapes, two large peanut butter chocolate chip cookies

Moves for day 8:

**a light hike around the property

**a little speedball practice in the home arena

Yes you read that right, two large cookies after dinner! Resistance completely down after a fun day with an old friend and a delicious dinner. Made the sunshine sauce (don't really like the original recipe) with almond butter and added a squirt of agave. So a very off road day indeed. I cannot believe the muscle definition I have gained over the last five weeks without working out. Keep looking at commercial pictures of my runs and just don't recognize my arms! I see the slippery slope of sugar looming ahead and must take precautions. No sugar tomorrow.

Walked about 15-20 minutes yesterday around my downtown doing errands.

Weird unofficial reintro experience. Had company yesterday, so I made an orange cranberry bread with my Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Biscuit and Baking Mix. I'd make this all the time pre-W30.  This time I substituted Agave Nectar for the sugar and coconut oil for canola oil. Major components in the Bob's Red Mill mix are white rice and garbanzo bean flours and corn starch. Cranberries used are dried cranberries, which have sugar.

Had a healthy slice before lunch and one smaller slice after dinner. Got a stomach ache, and some of the bone pain that had been absent for a while in my body came back. Also got some mild chest tightness.

Funny, because I didn't get a stomach ache, pain or tightness when I reintro'd non-gluten grains last week (just bloating and gassyness). Rest of yesterday was W30 compliant. Wondering if it's the corn, combination of rice/garbanzo beans/corn at once, or the agave nectar and sugar on the cranberries? I suppose there's no way of knowing, and this wasn't something I was officially reintro-ing (?) ... but I thought it was a powerful reaction for something seemingly so benign on the surface.

That is a pretty strong reaction! wow. I'm thinking lots of this may have to do with quantity or combinations.... I had ice cream last night - split a small kids size cup with a friend, of good fancy style ice cream, and we both crashed really hard an hour later. just wiped me out, and i consumed maybe 1/3 of a cup? so small dairy in my coffee is fine, and small sugar in the form of a little chocolate is fine, but combined was too much!

Yeah, I think you might be right, Delvallex - this mix and their recipe for this cranberry bread is not a good combination for me anymore.

Oh well, I'm enjoying making things from scratch now (who IS this person?), and one of my paleo cookbooks has a banana bread recipe: will try that next time I want a homemade fruit bread.  (I've also used this mix for GF pancakes pre-W30 ... if/when I'm in the mood for pancakes again, I'll try a paleo pancake recipe.)

GFChris: Today I had a similar situation. Ate "clean" yesterday....did have a little of the Primal Pac beef jerky...and 2 kombuchas, a cup of coffee with coconut milk and one piece of fruit (a plum)...other than that, completely followed template...protein, veggies and healthy fat...and NO pistachios...today had clean breakfast, but for lunch I chose to have a GF roll (had bought them last week at Whole Foods and was OK when I had one with egg salad)...but this time, I had one with egg salad for lunch...and also had carrots (my veggie)...egg salad was made with Paleo mayo...but about an hour after I ate the roll with egg salad and returned to work, my left side hurt (like when you run and get "stiches" in the side? I'm drinking lots of water. Also, on antibiotics for the dog bite I got...and my left arm STILL hurts from the tetnus shot! Ugh! Tonight clean dinner...tomorrow clean breakfast and lunch...anniversary dinner out...will see....Friday Thai lunch...those drunken noodles...then I had better eat clean for several days...(:

Looks like everyone is learning a lot from the different experiences. I'm back on my third day of clean eating after my reintro fiasco. Right now it's seems easier to just follow the simple plan. So I'm not sure when I might try to test GF grains or dairy again.

Ran out of kombucha. Felt a little addicted. Definitely a soda substitute. So back to water for me.

I feel a little paranoid now about what my kids are eating. My almost four year old seems to have stomach issues. Now I wonder if he's sensitive to certain items

Do any of you have kids that eat clean?

Last day of reintroduction, today: Legumes.  Had re fried beans at lunch and some lentils for dinner.  I'm not sure how I feel about the whole re introduction... I think I will repeat it.  So Saturday will start again with dairy.  (Can't wait to have some cottage cheese for breakfast)  :P

I've been compliant the whole time, but bought and made a bunch of Lara Bars and have been munching on those a little too much.... and got a whole cantaloupe and a watermelon dehydrated,,, and ate it in 2 days.... so... not good...  too much sugar!!!!

Working out every night, day 10th!  Already a third  :wub:

Eats for Day 10:

**green smoothie: banana, almond butter, power greens, coconut milk topped with homemade granola (oats, wheat germ, dry milk, almonds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut chips, coconut oil, honey), ice coffee

**watermelon, grapes, pistachios, cherry pie Larabar, mineral water

**cold buckwheat noodles in modified sunshine sauce, few bites of cold salmon, large apricot

Moves for day 10:

**2 hours digging in the garden

** 1 1/2 hour intense lesson

Not sure who was more tired after the lesson, my horse or me! Cookies did my tummy no favors, but not as bad as the ice cream. Kind of a wonky eating day, had breakfast late and wasn't hungry again until late afternoon. Too tired for anything but a few bites of cold leftovers when I got home. It was nice having the granola...I used less oats than it called for, replacing them with coconut chips.

Eats for Day 10:

**green smoothie: banana, almond butter, power greens, coconut milk topped with homemade granola (oats, wheat germ, dry milk, almonds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut chips, coconut oil, honey), ice coffee

**watermelon, grapes, pistachios, cherry pie Larabar, mineral water

**cold buckwheat noodles in modified sunshine sauce, few bites of cold salmon, large apricot

Moves for day 10:

**2 hours digging in the garden

** 1 1/2 hour intense lesson

Not sure who was more tired after the lesson, my horse or me! Cookies did my tummy no favors, but not as bad as the ice cream. Kind of a wonky eating day, had breakfast late and wasn't hungry again until late afternoon. Too tired for anything but a few bites of cold leftovers when I got home. It was nice having the granola...I used less oats than it called for, replacing them with coconut chips.

Did cardio for an hour yesterday (30 min treadmill, 30 min elliptical).  It was a clean day, eating-wise (no more of that cranberry bread: told my husband to eat the rest or throw it out).

Off to an overnight getaway today with my mom, sister and sister-in-law. Sister-in-law also recently completed a W30, so she will be eating clean too. I plan to enjoy some red wine tonight with my dinner.

On a side note, in a post-W30 world, what are you doing about baking powder? Most have corn starch and others have potato flour. Are you using as is and not worrying about the tiny amount of corn, or are you doing a paleo substitution in your baking? For example, 1/4 tsp baking soda + 1/2 tsp cream of tartar is one possible paleo substitute for 1 tsp baking powder.

So I went back and looked at the ingredients of the GF roll I had at lunch yesterday...and then followed by sideache. It is GF but had tapioca starch, eggs, mozorella cheese, milk, canola oil and salt. Dinner was not so clean...I had a small piece of hubby's Trader Joe's parmesian chicken (fresh made section)...along with two breaded chicken tenders (also from Trader Joe's, frozen section), then had a small avocado, THEN...dove into a few servings of Trader Joe's multigrain pita chips (yes, gluten, since wheat and sesame and multi grain)....then a string cheese....then part of a primal pac snack pack and a few sips of kombucha. No work out. This a.m. pulled out the scale....160...."was" 157 July 1....so my off-roading is messing with me physically and mentally. Today had burger and yam for breakfast (I know, starchy veg..no reg veg)...and coffee with coconut milk as my healthy fat. Lunch not sure. Dinner will be anniversary dinner out...may splurge on ice cream for dessert...and maybe for dinner a steak or lamb chops...but NO bread or butter or alcohol or potatoes...most likely just a protein and steamed veggies...then perhaps ice cream for dessert. No planned workout. Tomorrow is Thai food, drunken noodles...then must get stricther and cook this weekend for Whole30 meals and not test anything else out or off road or have splurges. Dr appt monday...anxious to see if any change in my blookwork...as I did not take Vit D or calcium during my June 1-30 Whole 30 and I ate eggs daily, even though I take cholesterol and BP meds.....we shall see.

So, I guess I'm excited about our anniversary dinner reservations tonight...a couple of hours away. I'm here at work and I went to the vending machine (first time since before my June 1-30 Whole 30) and I ate THREE things:  roasted edamame snack, a nature valley granola bar, then a Milky Way bar...first sugar since prior to my Whole30! Yikes. I'm also a bit tired and stressed from work...but really, no excuse. Tonight at the restaurant I plan to go off plan a bit as follows:  ceasar salad (w/croutons), grilled scallops and prawns, steamed veggies....no bread/butter, no pasta, no potatoes. BUT...I DO plan to have a hot fudge sundae for dessert. I'll report back in tomorrow.....

Archived