Taking digestive Enzymes- Dosage ?

Bridget

Do I take one with every meal as the bottle suggests ?

I am primarily dealing with some bloating and pretty persistent constipation- which is also pretty normal for me, but I'd like to change that. If it makes any difference- I had my gall bladder removed 10 years ago. AND this is my 4th Whole30, and resuts in energy, mood, sleep have all been marvelous. No health problems,either.

Thanks for any input

• Moderators

The guideline I have heard for taking digestive enzymes is to start with one at every meal and then move up to two at every meal and then three at every meal until you can feel a warm sensation in your stomach after you have taken them. I think the word was that you should feel a warm sensation before exceeding 4 or 5 per meal. I have never taken more than three per meal and would be really nervous going above 4.

For constipation, my themes are drinking a lot of water and taking a magnesium supplement like Natural Calm. And maybe eating sweet potatoes regularly. And eating fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha, and my new favorite coconut milk kefir for the probiotics.

I take just one per meal - NOW super enzyme and NOW HCL - don't feel any warm sensation, but it still helps.  I have not tried upping the dose because once I started the HCL, I had pretty much immediate and consistent relief from my issues.

I've been taking one for breakfast and dinner and notice a difference as well.  I have the opposite problem as you as far as digestive output and wouldn't mind seeing that clear up.  Maybe I should take more as well and see what happens?  I guess I worry that I'll end up dependent on them and I don't really want that to happen.

The guideline I have heard for taking digestive enzymes is to start with one at every meal and then move up to two at every meal and then three at every meal until you can feel a warm sensation in your stomach after you have taken them. I think the word was that you should feel a warm sensation before exceeding 4 or 5 per meal. I have never taken more than three per meal and would be really nervous going above 4.

I had heard that same guideline, and followed it until I realized I was taking upward of a dozen at each meal and still not feeling that warm sensation. I read I should keep upping it until I felt it, but it was getting cost prohibitive and it just felt weird (mentally, not physically) to be taking that much with each meal, so I didn't. Any idea why someone might just never get that sensation?

I had heard that same guideline, and followed it until I realized I was taking upward of a dozen at each meal and still not feeling that warm sensation. I read I should keep upping it until I felt it, but it was getting cost prohibitive and it just felt weird (mentally, not physically) to be taking that much with each meal, so I didn't. Any idea why someone might just never get that sensation?

Joey - from what I've read, only HCL will provide that warm sensation.  If the digestive enzyme doesn't have HCL, you might not get the same effect.  I take both a HCL pill and a digestive enzyme per my doctor, and I adjust based on improvement of symptoms, not a warm feeling.  

I was up to 6 and never felt a burn (and this was with a severly inflammed stomach!). So now I do two or three. But if I don't do any, I do notice a difference (bloating and heartburn).

Archived