Today, my twelfth day, brought a challenge that I haven't really encountered while on this journey.   I was HUNGRY several different times between meals and before meals.  I have been training vigorously at CrossFit (5-6 days/week) and running lightly (2 days/week), but I don't think that it's burning enough to ignite this appetite:

Day 12:

Pre-WO: One egg and one cup of coffee.

Post-WO/Breakfast:  Turkey and sweet potato.

Lunch: Southwestern salad.  Side of blueberries.

Snack: Celery, turkey rolls, and a slice of avocado.

Dinner:  Steak (palm sized portion), cauliflower mash, broccoli, and mushroom stir fry.  Frozen blueberries and almond milk after dinner.

I ate a lot today, and I really don't want to affect my results.  However, I recognize the need to fuel my workouts and runs.  Is this too much to consume in one day? 

I don't think so....I eat more on non training days!

remember, when you train you get two extra meals, and your PostWO/breakfast didn't really fulfil the template in terms of a proper meal!

I usually eat closer to two palms of protein with each meal, especially on training days...

Thanks, amberino21!!  I'll try adding more protein for sure.  Oh, I forgot about the WO meals being added to the regular three meals.  I think that if I add the protein and make sure to get the 3 meals, I won't feel as hungry all day.  Many thanks!!!

Thanks, amberino21!!  I'll try adding more protein for sure.  Oh, I forgot about the WO meals being added to the regular three meals.  I think that if I add the protein and make sure to get the 3 meals, I won't feel as hungry all day.  Many thanks!!!

my pleasure!! remember, food isn't your enemy - you need it to help you get results!! getting the right nutrients will help you grow and recover better :)

YES, me too! I feel like I'm eating a lot too. I have been following the meal template exactly. I do 6 WODS a week so I am constantly eating.

I brought a meal to a friend and she said she ate half the meat because I gave her 2 servings. The template says 1-2 palm sized servings per meal, and though I don't always eat 2, I often do. My friend says she is limiting herself to 1 palm sized serving a meal. I follow the template but am limiting my fruit and sweet potatoes, if anything.

I'm not overweight to begin with and I feel like my muscles and abs are getting more defined, so I shouldn't be worried.

Should I be worried? My friend has me concerned that I'm doing it wrong.

Ok good. I think my friend is counting calories. I don't really subscribe to the calories in/calories out theory because I think if u have 2 people that maintain on 2000 cals for example, and one eats a reduced 1800 calorie diet of whole foods, and the other eats a 1200 calorie diet of diet food and SAD foods, the one with the smaller deficit will still get better results. There is something to be said of quality over quantity, which quality foods is the big focus of W30.

I also feel like with the pre/post WOD meals and meal timing my body is utilizing everything I put in it to the fullest. Before W30 I had additional empty sugar calories that I'm not consuming now. I definitely don't want to limit protein so long as I'm within the template.

I don't care about weight loss, although I don't want to gain either. I wouldn't mind changing my composition a few percentage points, but really that is the last priority under my other goals and reasons for doing this.

...you are not eating too much. You are eating WAY too little, for that activity level. And probably also not nearly enough fat, depending on how lean the turkey was and what kind of meat was in your Southwestern salad. Crossfit 5-6 days a week and running on top of it is hard on your body, and you need a lot more food than that to keep at it without damaging your metabolism. I made a very rough calorie count for that food intake based on some guesstimations (roughly 4oz portions of meat, beef in the salad), and I'm not going to go posting it because I know the W30 is not about calorie counting, but it was NOT enough for an adult, much less an active adult.

I think if you ate enough at your 3 meals and preworkout mini-meal, you wouldn't feel so hungry throughout the day.

You're hungry because your body needs food to fuel and repair itself. This is not a bad thing - it's a good and useful signal that your body is sending you. Eat more.

Thank you so much, notacommittee!  I have eaten a lot better meals over the past two days, and I feel so much better and certainly less ravenous throughout the day.  My performance in the gym has been much better, too.  I so appreciate everyone's counsel and suggestions!  Thank you!!!

This forum is great for checking in and making sure you're doing this "right." Of course "right" for one person may be completely different than for another. I agree with what the others said, and just want to emphasize the importance of healthy fats to keep you satisfied. I don't see a lot of fat in your meal plan- just something to consider. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

3dayevent - I've been wondering if part of my problem this whole time is that I don't treat my rides like a workout.  Do you have a pre and post meal on days you're in the saddle?  I live an hour from my barn, so I'll have to figure out car friendly foods...

I also crossfit and run, and on days I ride it was typically a second workout before the whole30.  I'm on day 18, and have only doubled up once due to lack of energy.  This is the last missing piece I can figure would cause it.  

thanks!

I'm sure riding would constitute a workout! Unless you're just (walking?) along leisurely :P

Car friendly food - HB egg for before, and a tin of fish (no oil) and some pieces of sweet potato after, or take a little cooler bag and have chicken or other lean meat and sweet potato.

Archived