Beating Addiction

ErinK

I am a week from finishing my first official Whole30 but my success story starts a little over a year and a half ago. I read Melissa's story and it really hit home for me and made me appreciate her, and her and Dallas' program even more. I struggled with drug and alcohol addiction for many years and when I lost a friend to an overdose I got a frightening reality check. The tragedy opened my eyes to the very REAL possibility that my addiction could and probably would kill me. When I still couldn't stop I knew that I needed help and couldn't do it on my own. I checked myself into rehab and immersed myself completely into my recovery. Everything else in my life took a backseat to my recovery (including healthy eating and exercise). This was important for me to do because I needed all my time, focus, and energies to go into getting clean. When 90 days rolled around I was feeling great but not great enough. I decided it was time to expand my healthy lifestyle changes to eating and fitness. I began eating paleo, encouraged by my brother, and started doing cardio. I dropped weight quickly and my confidence was growing. My urges to use were becoming few and far between as my activity levels increased. I began weight training about a year ago and made friends with people from the gym. I found a community there and got such amazing support and encouragement in my fitness efforts. At my 1 year sober mark I couldn't even remember what having an urge was like because all my focus was on fitness and my health. I felt better than ever, I looked better than ever, and I was truly happy. Diet was still a bit of a struggle, however, as my sweet tooth was a bit out of control. I ate strict paleo but still exhibited some of my old addictive behaviors with cravings for sweets. I also had issues with overconsuming so when I heard about the Whole30 it really peaked my interest. I decided to commit to it the day I got back from vacation (after a sugar free for all) and I am really loving the way I'm feeling and how my relationship with food is changing. I am eating for nourishment and not consumed by cravings anymore. I am also noticing changes in my body (but that's an added bonus). I feel healthier than I've ever felt, more energetic, and happier. I cannot say enough good things about this program. 

Thank you Melissa and Dallas for helping me, and thousands of others, make positive changes.

post-32616-0-35080900-1374154954_thumb.j

I am so happy for you!  Using healthy eating and fitness has completely changed my mindset. It's easy to see though how those addicted behaviors can transfer over into the need for sugar and the association of desserts with relaxation and reward. Sometimes I found I binged because I justified it to myself with the whole " what do I have left..... I don't dont party, I don't make self indulgent bad decisions, oh woes me I don't have any fun.... There is nothing left but to reward myself with food" and yes I know that is a horrible mindset BUT let's be real.... We aren't always right in the head. Replacing an unhealthy addiction with a positive one like fitness and having a great supportive community will never set you back. When I get thoughts like those I sometimes do indulge.... And then I feel the effects days later and littke by littke reaffirm the fact that making poor choices is just going to harm me, so I make them less and less.

Archived