stevia reintro?

CharDoll

Thanks! I just stopped at whole foods for some dairy for.day one reintro and i stinkin forgot to buy stevia in the raw... one of the main reasons i went to wf instead of a regular supermarket. Darnit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did an experiment, last week. I made my own stevia extract from dried herb, so I could *know* it contained nothing but stevia and water. No chemicals or additives.

And I freaking reacted to the @#*% stuff. Generalized itching and significant muscle aches and pains.

Turns out, stevia is in the ragweed family. That may very well explain it.

I'm looking into monk fruit (aka lo han, luo han). Anyone know anything about monk fruit? If I could buy it in the local Asian market, I would attempt to make my own extract, but idk whether you can buy it, here? Also, I can't find any tutorials for making the extract. Swanson Vitamins sells one, but it has a couple additives, and I would prefer it without additives. Even so, Swanson's additives seem to be least problematic of all that I've found, and I may try theirs, even though I'd rather make my own.

If you're not on a whole30, why not just use sugar? As raw and unprocessed as you like. Or make fruit syrup (reduced fresh apple juice). Or real maple syrup. Or honey. 

If you're wanting something sweet, it seems like it does more damage to find low calorie, low sugar content substitutes, 'cause you're still not conquering your sugar demons. And after a whole30, you should find that you don't need nearly as much sugar anyway. 

I agree with Psirene. I drink iced coffee in the summer and for whatever reason, I like it a tiny bit sweet. I make a huge batch of cold brew concentrate and then measure out 1 tsp organic evaporated cane syrup (that's what I buy to make Kombucha) and I have one glass every morning. Obviously, I am speaking of when I am NOT on a W30.

I do like something in my tea. I don't like it without. And since I'm not drinking coffee, I drink several cups of tea throughout the day. Plus, I have several nasty vitamin/herbal concoctions which I can't choke down without something. And really, I need to limit even my natural sugars. Cane sugar should definitely be avoided with my health issues.

I have found most stevia has erythritol on it. My family use Nirvana Organics Stevia Liquid Concentrate which lists its ingredients as distilled water, certified organic stevial glycosides, premium quality food grade alcohol as a preservative. I don't use it but they like the taste better than other brands too.

After my first whole30 I decided to try to avoid any added sugars. I was amazed how easy it was for me. I think being an ex sugar addict, life is easier without it. I make some paleo puddings with some raisins or currants or orange juice if I want a bit of extra sweetness otherwise I just stick to fruit. Cinnamon tea and licorice tea taste a bit sweet, as does coconut cream

If you really want to use stevia, just buy the extract in powder form (ie NOW foods brand). It would be in the supplement section of Whole Foods or a good supplement/ health store (ie, not GNC type store) rather than in the baking isle. There are no other additives that help take away the icky bitter flavor, though, so an extra small amount is all you need.

I second the suggestion to just use real sugar.

Archived