Reintro Panic!

LEllis

So I'm just closing out day 11 but suddenly started to freak out a little about reintro.  I'm worried many of the special things I used to love and enjoy will make me feel awful!  I WANT to have cream and a bit of honey in my mornign coffee again.  I WANT to share an ice cream cone with my kids.  I WANT to enjoy a slice of pizza from our small town pizzeria.  I know that sounds fussy but that's how I'm feeling right now.  Is this really worth it?  (I'm sure the answer is yes....) 

I'm not saying I'm going to go crazy and not be concious of what I put in my body, but I also don't want to feel like junk for 3 days if I accidently eat a steak cooked in butter at a wedding or break down and split a chocolate chip cookie with my best friend on her Birthday. 

Will my body be capable of handling the occasional splurge?  I'm sure it varies depending on each person's sensitivity/convictions.  I guess I'm just mourning the thought of possibly losing some of my favorite things.  Has anyone else experienced/worried about this?

The point of reintro is to see whether these things effect you or not - if you do it's your choice to avoid the food or eat it and live with the consequences.

The whole 30 won't make you any more or less sensitive to foods, the reactions when you do a reintro will just be more obvious as you've given your body 30 days to get rid of the things that may cause issues and start to heal.

Personally, I choose to eat for health more often than not - that doesn't mean I'm deprived. It just means I choose to make better choices - "normal" food doesn't actually taste good to me any more. On the rare occasion I think I want something, I usually find it fake, chemically, overly sweet/salty and can't believe I used to enjoy it!

I think it's quite common to worry about how you'll react to reintroducing different foods but Amberino is right your body won't react any differently to how it did before, you may just be more aware of it.

Relax and enjoy your W30. when the time comes do a proper reintro and you'll know your body better than ever before. No ones saying don't ever have an ice cream, cupcake, slice of pizza, whatever is your particular favourite. You'll know if it's going to be worth it or not.

Long before I ever found W30, I had to give up gluten so I totally get mourning food, believe me. It's been over 13 years since i had any gluten, except accidentally, and normally I don't miss baked goods at all, yet last time I was in Whole Foods they had a rosemary foccacia with sundried tomatoes, olives and mozzarella - I actually drooled. Only the thought of spending 3 days in pain practically locked in the bathroom made me walk away :) On the other hand, I've always enjoyed chocolate and now, when I'm not on a W30, I may still have some but, if I do, it's going to be my absolute favourite, ridiculously expensive Booja Booja truffles not the mass produced crap which really does not taste the same.

So relax, enjoy the ride and the reintro. good luck

I think it's quite common to worry about how you'll react to reintroducing different foods but Amberino is right your body won't react any differently to how it did before, you may just be more aware of it.

Relax and enjoy your W30. when the time comes do a proper reintro and you'll know your body better than ever before. No ones saying don't ever have an ice cream, cupcake, slice of pizza, whatever is your particular favourite. You'll know if it's going to be worth it or not.

Long before I ever found W30, I had to give up gluten so I totally get mourning food, believe me. It's been over 13 years since i had any gluten, except accidentally, and normally I don't miss baked goods at all, yet last time I was in Whole Foods they had a rosemary foccacia with sundried tomatoes, olives and mozzarella - I actually drooled. Only the thought of spending 3 days in pain practically locked in the bathroom made me walk away :) On the other hand, I've always enjoyed chocolate and now, when I'm not on a W30, I may still have some but, if I do, it's going to be my absolute favourite, ridiculously expensive Booja Booja truffles not the mass produced crap which really does not taste the same.

Kitsteen I just want to know where to get the Booja chocolate. The name is so perfect!!

I'm like Kristeen, I will never eat gluten again, willingly. But I wouldn't worry about it now. Do the W30 and then do the reintro. I just did a dairy reintro. And you know what, even though it didn't bother me, I am still going to limit my dairy. I can have it, which is great, but maybe I don't want to have it as much as I thought I would when I started W30.

Try not to add too many things in at once, it's an easy pitfall for eating out or old favourites.

I will never eat gluten again, nothing is worth the pain that comes with it. BUT, I only learned this after reintroduction :) Prior to Whole30, I'd never had a single doctor ever suggest my health could be related to my food or wheat.

Keep note of what you eat and how you feel, I had a whole pile of symptoms I had never before associated with food, now things I don't have to live with.

Oddly, once I found the things my body really doesn't like, I've found my body's want to eat these things is changing. The appeal of something that makes you feel sick really goes down over time, with the feeling of "not worth it, feeling well is more fun".

Thanks for the perspective everyone.  I have begun to remind myslef how yucky I was constantly feeling and always WONDERING why, why, why?  Was it because I ate this or that?  Then I was getting so anxious any time I ate because I was afraid of how that food would make me feel!  This is no way to live!  I know I'll be so grateful to finally know what makes me feel bad and it will be easier than I think to pass it up.  Thanks again:)  Cheers to day 15 here!

Kitsteen I just want to know where to get the Booja chocolate. The name is so perfect!!

Susan, what's wrong with your quoting? Our web guy fixed the site, but yours are still messed up?

WHAT"S WRONG WITH YOU?!!!

Archived