reintro seed oils, carrageenan? SWYPO during reintro?

Veggie Girl

Day 28 and I'm looking ahead to reintro.  3 questions:

1.  I'd love to know if I can have seed oils (peanut, soybean, sunflower, etc) so I can have grilled fish or meat in a restaurant without giving the server the third degree about what oils the kitchen uses.  I don't see them in the reintro protocol.  Do people typically reintro them, and if so, how?

2.  Same deal with carrageenan.  I really miss my refrigerated almond milk.  Do I need a separate reintro day for that? 

(If I test all these ingredients separately I can see my reintro streching out to 16 or 19 days and I really don't want that). 

3.  Is SWYPO with compliant ingredients okay throughout reintro?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Doing a re-intro test of these oils is probably a waste of time because you won't notice an effect. The negative effect of these oils is there, but you don't get a bellyache from consuming too many omega 6 fatty acids.

Carrageenan may not give you a bellyache either, but it is one of the nastiest things you can put in your gut. It makes me really sad that you want to start drinking almond milk again knowing most varieties you can buy include it. 

There is no need to re-intro paleo pancakes, etc.

I recently realized that carageenan is even in multiple brands of cat food. I buy an expensive limited ingredient version that contains it. Dangit! Shopping around for carageenan-free food for my kitties now.

JJB, look into frozen or freeze dried raw for your kitties, if your budget will allow. Nature's Variety, Stella and Chewy and Primal good brands. Much healthier than any can or dry food.

Tom-- that's so nice of you-- but please don't be sad if I decide to restart carrageenan.  Maybe it doesn't affect everyone the same way?  I am on day 29, and while it's been an interesting experience doing a Whole 30, I actually haven't found too many benefits (and no improvement to the two issues I started it for-- fatigue and chronic sore throat with no apparent medical cause).  I'm still going to follow the re-intro protocol.  But if cutting foods out (including almond milk) didn't help things, why would there be a problem with adding them back in? 

(I should clarify that my pre-Whole 30 diet was pretty clean-- almost no processed food, almost no sugar, only healthy fats, no alcohol, tons and tons of veggies.  I did eat dairy, beans, whole grains, and a small amount of tofu).  So when I say I'm hoping to add my old foods back in, I'm not talking about foods like coke and twinkies. I'm talking about dairy, beans, grains, and tofu. 

Lizitea-- thanks for the suggestion.  I do a fair amount of cooking but I don't have a blender, which all the recipes I've found on line for almond milk require.  I guess I could buy one and try it.... Do you have a favorite recipe?

Tom,

I don't know if you're still following this, but no need to be sad after all.  The commercial almond milk I drink (Silk brand pure almond milk unsweetened original flavor from the refrigerator case) has no carrageenan!  (ingredients filtered water, almonds, sea salt, locust bean gum, sunflower lecithin, gellan gum, and natural flavor.).  So I'm sure its not as good for you as homemade, but for a post whole-30 I'm feeling ok about it.  Hope you will too.  :)

Kroger's Simple Truth Organic Unsweetened Almond Milk does not have carrageenan either.  Their website says that It does have sunflower lecithin which I try to avoidd lecithins but I don't remember the container I bought having that as an ingredient or else I wouldn't have bought it.

I bought a nut milk bag to try making my own almond milk when things start to slow down in the next few weeks.  Can't wait for just pure goodness!

Hello Veggie Girl, i have also been doing reintros and wanted to return to almond milk. Then i read up about carrageenan and as i have had severe gut problems (to the point of my doctor asking me to remove my gall bladder!!) i have decided to steer clear. I felt i was missing out until i made my own almond milk. It is very easy to make. If you need a recipe get in touch but you can find a tutorial on YouTube. Good luck.

• 3 years later...
On 10/14/2013 at 9:49 PM, Andria said:

JJB, look into frozen or freeze dried raw for your kitties, if your budget will allow. Nature's Variety, Stella and Chewy and Primal good brands. Much healthier than any can or dry food.

I know this post is  a little old - but we feed our kitties raw! I messed up on ordering my meat, and we had a week where we had to buy high-quality canned food to supplement instead. That one week cost us as much as a month of making raw food. DIY raw feeding is much more affordable if you're doing good quality (cheap kibble is of course going to be much cheaper, but it's not nourishing). Just wanted to throw my two cents in. :-D

Archived