Probiotics

hobbitgirl

Sorry if this seems obvious, but I don't have my book handy. To keep things, um, regular, I'd like to add some probiotics to my program. I'm on day 5 of my W30. Is this allowed, and if so does anyone have some brand recommendations?

Here is the guide to supplements: http://whole9life.com/2010/09/supplements-part-ii/ Sounds like most people around here take the Now Foods Super Enzyme. I just ordered some from Amazon to try out since it is a recommended supplement. http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Super-Enzymes-Capsules/dp/B0013OXKHC

I'm not sure if probiotics are approved on W30, but there is a lengthy article about them here: http://whole9life.com/2012/04/probiotics-101/

I do well with adding foodstuffs with probiotic benefits, such as sauerkraut and kimchi or some (compliant) kombucha. When I'm not eating Whole 30 my body enjoys some full fat Greek yoghurt. Personally, this is enough to keep my system ticking, and I don't feel the need to supplement.

I just picked up some sauerkraut yesterday. I know this will vary from person to person, but how much should we have a day?

Edit: Just read the piece linked about about probiotics. Just a little a day will do!

I just started making my own sauerkraut, which is super easy and great in salads, on grilled meat, and all alone. It's not scary or gross, as I feared it might be. You simply get a sterilized one quart jar, chop up about 1/2 of a cabbage (my kids like purple), mash this with 1tbs of sea salt until the juices flow out (I just use a big wooden spoon), then you stuff all that in your jar with enough spring water to cover it all. You want about 1 inch of liquid at the top, so mash down the cabbage with your spoon until you achieve this. Cover tightly and let sit out on the counter (out of the sun) for 3 day and that's it! You can use any veggies and spices that you like (ginger and carrots is a yummy combo). Pickled veggies great source of probiotics, and if you make them yourself you are getting your own "local" bugs which seem to me would be the most helpful in dealing with all the other local stuff you come into contact with.

• 2 months later...

I just started making my own sauerkraut, which is super easy and great in salads, on grilled meat, and all alone. It's not scary or gross, as I feared it might be. You simply get a sterilized one quart jar, chop up about 1/2 of a cabbage (my kids like purple), mash this with 1tbs of sea salt until the juices flow out (I just use a big wooden spoon), then you stuff all that in your jar with enough spring water to cover it all. You want about 1 inch of liquid at the top, so mash down the cabbage with your spoon until you achieve this. Cover tightly and let sit out on the counter (out of the sun) for 3 day and that's it! You can use any veggies and spices that you like (ginger and carrots is a yummy combo). Pickled veggies great source of probiotics, and if you make them yourself you are getting your own "local" bugs which seem to me would be the most helpful in dealing with all the other local stuff you come into contact with.

I'm on the second full day of making this sauerkraut. It started to leak out of the jar so I opened it. (it smells like it is getting there but not totaly done) Is it ruined or is it ok to open the jar and then retighten it and let it sit another day? thanks.

Well I've often taken the lid off my kimchi while it was 'brewing' to check it and put it back on and it's been fine so I wouldn't worry. Last time I didn't use a lid, I tried a tip I'd read about. I filled a freezer bag with some water, tied it off and sat it in the top of the jar. It completely covered the kimchi but allowed the liguid to 'escape' while it was fermenting so I didn't need to worry about pressure building up.

Thanks for the tip but I dont' think mine turned out. I'm not sure if I did something wrong but it smells kinda funky and doesn't taste that good.

Does anyone know if the kind you buy in the store in a bag is Whole 30 approved? I haven't looked at the ingredients yet but would like to just pick some up if it is ok.

• 3 years later...

This is a type of sweetener, and since this is not a Dr's prescription would be out for your Whole30.

Honestly, foods/drinks with probiotics, such as sauerkraut & kombucha, will provide up to 100 times more probiotics than a supplement.

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, Natalie Kelly said:

I'm assuming a probiotic that says contains milk ingredients is a no-go? what the heck does that mean anyway-milk ingredients? it's good on everything else, no soy, sugar, gluten, wheat, nitrites etc

Correct, it's a no go.  milk ingredients could be whey or casein or lactose... none of which are okay for the 30 days :)

Archived