My first Whole30!

mhill0823

Here I am on Day 2. I found this program through a friend of mine who is now on her 3rd week and she couldn't stop talking about how much she has changed. I've hit a point in my life where I am at the highest my weight has ever been and my doctor told me 2 months ago that I have pre-diabetes. I have to make a change for my health and my life. So here goes...

I've had a constant dull headache since late yesterday evening and on into today. I suspect it's because I normally consume so much sugar and bad fats that my body is wondering what I'm doing. Also yesterday by 815 I was ready to pass out asleep from fatigue.

I figure here I will keep my food journal also, and hopefully someone will be here with advice if I'm doing something wrong, or could add or take away!!

Day 1-

Breakfast- 2 scrambled eggs and 2 turkey sausage links

Lunch- Hamburger steak and 1.5 cups of grilled peppers and onions

Dinner- grilled salmon, brocolli, sweet potato

I finished the day feeling pretty well satisfied, didn't eat anything after about 7pm. I had a terrible headache by the time I went to bed but it had gone back to a small dull one by this morning.

Woke up feeling great otherwise.

Day 2- Today I have my meals planned as...

Breakfast- 2 scrambled eggs and 2 turkey sausage links

Lunch- 1 Chicken breast(seasoning with some hot sauce), 1 shrimp skewer(5 pieces), grilled asparagus and boiled cabbage

Dinner- Grilled chicken with peppers and onions and a whole avacado.

Hopefully someone reading this can tell me if I'm on the right track or need to adjust anything. Also, some new breakfast ideas would be nice!

:)

Happy Tuesday!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

You are on the right track! You could use some veggies at breakfast and probably need to go for about 2 cups of veggies per meal. 

You might want to try leftovers for breakfast. You are not limited to "breakfast" food. 

You may need to be drinking a lot more water to avoid headaches. You need about 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight per day and it is fine to drink 1 ounce per pound. For me that means drinking 1.5 gallons per day. 

that sounds awesome! :) I'm going to have to try that! and this Middle TN weather is crazy right now.

So here's my  Day 3-

Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs with spinach mixed in, 2 turkey sausage links, 1 banana

Lunch - Grilled Chicken salad(lettuce,cucumber,tomato,chicken), 1/2 grilled chicked breast, 1 cup asparagus, 1 apple

Dinner(I am doing dinner in two parts tonight because I wanted to eat before I went to church but there is no way that I will be able to eat all of my dinner at 4:45 and not be hungry before bed. So dinner part 2 will be at 7:45)

Part1-1/2 Chicken breast, 1/2 cup cabbage, 1 cup steamed brocoli

Part2- I really wasn't hungry when I got home so I had a banana so that I could take my medicine, and I nibbled a bit on the things I was preparing for today just to taste test. I felt guilty for not making myself eat.

Today I'm feeling good, just completely feel like I could curl up in my bed and sleep for days. I read the timeline so I figure that is part of it, and another part is the drastic cold weather change in my state.

Day 4 and honestly I feel really great today! :)

I noticed yesterday morning that my ankles had no swelling and so i watched them all day and by bed time they were still just as small and not swollen. Here lately in life I've been having a huge issue with this in the last few months, so this is a BIG Deal to me! :) That probably has a lot to do with why I'm feeling so great today!

Tonight is my college's football game but I'm going to maintain being on plan and have a filling dinner before I go! :)

Day 4-

Breakfast- 1 serving of Chicken butternut squash hash(New recipe I found, so good) and 1 banana

Lunch- 1 chicken breast, 1 cup carrots, 1 cup cabbage

Dinner- Hamburger steak, 1 serving of fresh canned pickles made by my friend, 1 piece of turkey

Late food-grilled chicken tenders in hot sauce(we went to a restaurant after the football game)

Mayo is my favorite way - there are lots of threads here with tips. Did you let the ingredients come to room temp first? That's been my biggest problem. Here's a great recipe if you haven't seen it.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/08/19/mayo-how-to-video/

I love it with apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice - I love the tang.

Other ideas - chimichurri (made with olive oil, spices and herbs), I add avocado to chili all the time, vinaigrettes on salads or as a sauce. Macadamia nuts are good; other nuts should be used occasionally but not all the time. I don't care for the taste of coconut or olives, but those are other great source of fat.

Hi - Keep trying the mayo.  Once I found a method that worked once, I've never had a problem since.  But, I had 4 fails before I got it.  The method that worked for me is to use a stick blender but make sure your container is the same width as the blender head and not winder.  The little pitcher that came with my stick blender works perfect.  Mix everything in the recipe you choose except for the oil.  Add the oil to the top and let it settle so that the oil is floating on top of the rest.  Put the stick blender into the very bottom of the container and start it.  Slowly pull up.  It should bind and then will further thicken in the fridge.  Good luck!

Other good fat options - add guacamole or plain avocado to the hash or anything else, for that matter.  It's great with salt and pepper and eaten with a spoon!  Add olives.  Drizzle coconut butter or oil over veggies.  Use plenty of coconut oil for cooking.  Spread almond butter on the banana.  Make a curry or soup and use coconut milk.  Put coconut milk in your coffee if you drink it. 

I used to eat pretty low fat and not even on purpose.  It's kind of fun now that I *have* to eat fat!

I guess I need to get myself a stick blender!! and I love avacado and guac so I'm just going to have to start adding that in more!

It's so weird to me to be told to eat fat lol.

Thanks so much for all the ideas, you are all so awesome!:) None of my friends are doing this with me so it's fun to get to be on here and get support any time I need it:)

Even failed mayo makes good dressing for salads :) I usually thin my mayo out with ACV anyway, but runny mayo isn't bad! You could have used it on your lunch and had coleslaw :)

But yes, you need fat!! Especially considering chicken is so lean, you won't have any in the meat. You could crumb chicken pieces in coconut, they're delicious cold if you want to make a lot to save time during the week. Make a dip with avocado or mayo, make a pesto (without cheese) to serve with your meats and vegies - nice stirred through zucchini noodles!

EVOO and oils, avocado Olives, coconut (oil, fresh, dried, milk, butter), and nuts can all be used...be creative! Fat is really important, and you've barely mentioned any in your meals - please don't leave it out :)

I'm not sure what I did wrong to my poor mayo, but it just looked like a cup of oil and not good at all. I'm going to try a new recipe this weekend and hope for better results! :)

Today I'm feeling good again, just having a really hard time finding my appetite. It that normal?

I'm about to make myself eat breakfast but I'm just not hungry

I've got almonds in my desk at work so I'll add those into my meals today for fat until I can get home and make something more creative:)

Breakfast-1 serving of Chicken butternut squash hash, banana, and 1/4C Almonds

Lunch-Hamburger steak, 1C cabbage, 1C brocoli and 1/4 C almonds

Dinner-1 grilled chicken salad, with guac and avacado mixed in place of dressing.

Just be careful with almond. Nuts are not your best fat choice and should be limited. This is mostly because they throw your omega 3 to omega 6 balance off. 

It is normal for people to lose their appetite during a W30. My best advice is to eat a low end template meal within an hour of waking even if you are not hungry and than eat a low end template meal every 5-6 hours even if you are not hungry. Eventually your hormones should rebalance and send your body proper hunger cues again.

Thanks!! I'm only doing the almonds today because I haven't had time to meal prep in a few days since i already prepped for the week so they will do for today until I can get home tonight and have more things prepared!

I'm trying to work on my stomach today. I literally have had to force feed myself almost through both meals because I'm so completely not hungry but I know I have to eat.

Thanks!! I'm only doing the almonds today because I haven't had time to meal prep in a few days since i already prepped for the week so they will do for today until I can get home tonight and have more things prepared!

I'm trying to work on my stomach today. I literally have had to force feed myself almost through both meals because I'm so completely not hungry but I know I have to eat.

It will get better.

Can you post the chicken butternut squash hash recipe? I have a butternut squash that needs me to cook it into something delicious!

I had the same thing happen with my first mayo attempt. I haven't tried to correct it. But I have mixed it into a can of tuna for some extra fat and it was pretty good.

Day 6... im traveling today so I already know I didn't eat enough.

Breakfast- 1 serving butternut squash chicken hash, and one serving bacon

Lunch- 3 chicken meatballs with hot sauce

Dinner- grass-fed beef burger patty with avacado and fried egg, lettuce tomato and pickle. And a side salad stuffed with greens. Awesome organic restaurant we found down here! Wish I had one at home!

I know I didnt eat enough overall, however I was satisfied all day and I'm so proud of myself for resisting all of the wonderful temptations in this city I love!

Day 7

I was battling some severe exhaustion so I slept until around noon today completely on accident!

Brunch- 3 eggs with spinach cooked in coconut oil, 1 hamburger steak with hot sauce and a handful of almonds

Dinner- grilled chicken with grilled onions peppers and tomatoes and a side of guac.

Day 7

I was battling some severe exhaustion so I slept until around noon today completely on accident!

Brunch- 3 eggs with spinach cooked in coconut oil, 1 hamburger steak with hot sauce and a handful of almonds

Went to a childs birthday party mid day and snacked on a few apple slices and grapes while I was there.

VERY tempted by the publix cake but I resisted the temptations.

Dinner- grilled chicken with grilled onions peppers and tomatoes and a side of guac. and a banana when I got home

I also learned today just how much my body demands WATER! I feel like I'm ALWAYS Thirsty!

I'm going to start adding regular exercise to my life tomorrow and hope that I can keep up with the food demands of my body along the way!

Day 8

Collectively up to this point I've been feeling pretty good. I'm thankful for that!:)

My sugar cravings the last few days, and well honestly my DAIRY cravings also, have been terrible but I'm still on plan.

I just feel good though, my clothes are fitting just slightly more comfy which is a wonderful sign.

Last night my friends had mexican food, which is my weakness, and i am still resisted the chips with that wonderful queso:) We play trivia at that restaurant every week so that is always going to be a trial for me but it is a wonderful feeling getting up and leaving dinner not feeling miserably stuffed like everyone else!:)

Breakfast- Banana, butternut squash chicken hash with hot sauce, 2 turkey sausage links

Lunch- 1 baked chicken breast, 1 cup cabbage, 1/2 cup carrots

Dinner- Grilled chicken salad with vinegrette and an apple.

Your meals still sound low (or virtually no) fat - this won't be helping with your cravings! I'd also increase the vegies (amount and variety) to give you a nutrient boost - if you're giving them to your body, it doesn't have to go looking (or send you crave signals)

The fat has been my struggle this whole time. Today I cut up an avacado to add to my breakfast dinner. Thanks for the help, it makes perfect sense I just have a hard time fitting it in. Also, the variety of veggies is for sure going to have to happen now!! The problem is that I overcooked a lot of veggies the first week and wanted to use them all up and now I'm tired of them!

Thanks so much for being so helpful!

Hey! I'm on day 3 right now. I've nothing of worth to contribute, I just wanted you to know I'm following your post and right there with ya! 

Thanks Beasie!:) You got this!!

Archived