Need mayo recipe

What kind of oil did you use to make the mayo?

Recipe I use:

1 egg yolk

1 tsp Dijon mustard

1 TB water

1 TB lemon juice

Sea salt to taste

1 cup oil (I use extra light olive oil; do NOT use EVOO; can also try macadamia nut oil but it is expensive and hard to find)

I'd run out of olive oil and mustard powder, so yesterday's batch of mayo was experimental.

1 egg

1 cup avocado oil

1 Tbsp vinegar

2 tsp garlic powder

a pinch of salt

Whizzed it all together with my stick blender and YUM! Forget using it as a condiment, it was all I could do to not eat the whole batch straight with a spoon. Everyone has different tastes, but I've found I like the flavour better if I use vinegar instead of lemon juice for the acid.

I just made ROCKIN' homemade mayo on my first try.  I used the below link and watched the video and copied it EXACTLY. I even left my egg & lemon juice on the counter for 3 hours to make sure it was room temperature before I mixed it.  After I combined them, I let it sit together another 30 minutes. I used Bertoli "light tasting olive oil" and yes, it does taste more "olive oil" than store bought mayo but still good.  I made chicken salad with celery, apples, slivered almonds, red onion and the homemade mayo and it was to die for.  Good luck!!

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

Archived