Derval does it again

Derval

Hi Derval,

What did you think of the egg loaf? was it worth it to make again? How did you make it? Just throw a bunch of stuff in and bake? (temp and time?)

I would love something like this to get more veggies into my breakfast. (if it tastes good that is)

Thank you for all of your posts and inspiration.

Ren

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Derval,

What did you think of the egg loaf? was it worth it to make again? How did you make it? Just throw a bunch of stuff in and bake? (temp and time?)

I would love something like this to get more veggies into my breakfast. (if it tastes good that is)

Thank you for all of your posts and inspiration.

Ren

Hi there, yes it actuall grew on me a bit more each day. Egg loafs are so handy, just zap it in the microwave each morning.

The first one I ever made was this one from the foodee (halved the quantities) and I think it was my fav so far. So subsequently I have just roughly followed the recipe of meat+veg+eggs >bake :)

I just love your log, Derval! And I am always trying to read your posts in an Irish accent B)

Thanks Laura, hope you haven't given me too strong an accent :D

Hello folks :)

Todays report from Dublin

9.30 am (am loving the extra sleep I'm getting these days! ) egg loaf same as yesterday

11am - Chalene Extreme Burn Cicruit 2. pws - chicken mini fillet

12.30pm - same lunch as yesterday minus the leaves....

4pm - back home after hours of shopping with the kids, wrecked! had some walnuts, a banana and an iced coffee w' coconut milk

5.45 pm - Did a version of Quick & Easy Pork Medallions with Romesco Sauce but I used regular pork chops. I served mine of cauli & carrot rice with green beans on the side. The sauce is very tasty and I have lots left :)

3e97adb0e17a11e1a4d022000a1d0cc7_6.jpg4a06af20e17a11e18a5c22000a1e86b8_6.jpg

The last couple of days I have been hit with a level of satisfaction with the aul' bod that I haven't experienced before. Maybe it's the W30 or Chalean or the winning combination of them both but I am seeing abs! ME?! Who's tummy used to amazingly manage to stick out and hang down at the same time! It's brilliant :) So matter what the scales say on the 16th I will be happy that I am making progress towards my aesthetic goals.....Once I get back to lifting heavy at the gym I can work on the non-aesthetic ones - namely an unassisted pull-up and a 100kg deadlift.

I am also gaining control of my messy messy house :ph34r: I have a "streak calendar" on the fridge and am determined to keep it up this time.

Happy happy joy joy. :wub:

Hi Derval, how's the housework dragon today? You winning? As a fellow SAHM I totally get where you're coming from. Sometimes he's just as annoying as his sugary counterpart!

Lola, I just love your signature quote! Too often in the past (in my pre paleo days!) I'd have been guilty of not seizing the moment and not doing something fun as I'd have thought 'oh I'm not ready for this, I'm carrying a few extra lbs, I want to be 7lbs lighter before I do whatever it was, not swimsuit-ready, not fit enough, too sluggish....etc etc. What a ridiculous waste of fun living time! With the discovery of this fantastic lifestyle, I always feel ready to jump right in and enjoy whatever great experiences life throws my way. No more feeling dragged down-I'm fit, happy, healthy, slim and ready to seize the day, any day :) . Your quote sums it up perfectly!

Thanks Summergirl, I'm glad that you got something out of that. I love that everyone has their own take on such phrases, and can apply it to what matters most to them. Thanks for sharing, I find it very inspiring to hear people's stories. When I typed it in there, I did so knowing that if I didn't keep myself on top of planning and buying my groceries for W30, then I would easily just end up throwing in a frozen pizza when things got too hectic. Which will never happen now, because frozen pizza no longer lives here!

I'm battling house work demons too Derval.. I'm barely ahead, but I'm ahead...

Lovely sunny day in Dublin today :)

Exercise rest day.

9.30 am - fried onion & mushroom, sweet potato, fried egg & romesco sauce

03271862e1ff11e1b46022000a1e953b_6.jpg

12.30 pm - chicken, celery & avocado salad with mayo & romesco - very tasty. Then headed off to the park to meet some friends. I had a LOT of fruit, but better than the cookies & ice-cream the others were having!

b6b1dc22e21411e1a3d822000a1e952c_6.jpg

5.30pm - salad with avo and zuchinni carbonara (not enough food really)

35f55dace24111e1a04e123138203d88_6.jpg

All looks delish as usual Derval! I had a very similar breakfast actually (sweet potato, fried egg and leftover stirfry veg from yesterday-yum!)

Lovely day here alright. Kids had a great time outside all day really, apart from when they were inside cheering Katie Taylor on at 4.45pm!

Hi Derval,

The fried onion, mushroom, sweet potato and egg looks great - I am going to have to try that. What is romesco?

I think everyone has trouble keeping up with housework. At least I know I do. Thanks for the link - I will check it out. We have made a concerted effort to stay on top of the kitchen - in order to make Whole 30 more successful. I am also so proud of and thankful that my SO has pitched in so much with helping to keep things picked up.

Thanks for all the pictures and food ideas that you share.

Have an awesome day! :)

Faith

Hiya Faith, Romesco is a sauce made with red peppers & nuts - if you back to the previous page, the pork chop dinner - the link to the recipe is there.

Thanks, I did have an awesome day today :) The weather was beautiful. Dh had the day off work so we headed to

Powercourt Waterfall . The majesty of nature! And I met a friends husband who is paleo too and we had a great talk about meat in the playground :)

9.30am - egg loaf from last week.

1pm - salad of king prawns, avo, mayo & romesco, with leaves, an American & lara bar all beside the waterfall. Note my freshly threaded eyebrows :D

5cb9abbee30411e19cc822000a1e8867_6.jpg76792502e30411e1a82b22000a1e880b_6.jpg93e79970e30411e182d912313d223ec0_6.jpg

Got home later than expected and I had nothing planned for dinner so had to make do with what we had at home....I need to really shop & plan more!

5.30pm - sweet potato fritter, 2 "chippolata" sausages and a fried egg....oh and more romesco sauce!

b23ae094e30911e19c6622000a1e89ba_6.jpg

I foresee some snack being necessary later....oh and my coconut aminos arrived from America :) Yay :)

Woo hoo for coconut aminos. Enjoy! Sounds like you had a very good day with the family. Our dinner was last minute too. Flank steak on the grill, frozen sugar snap peas steamed in the microwave, raw baby carrots, salad and a small microwave bowl of pasta (horrible processed stuff that family likes but between hubby and three kids I still threw some away since they never eat a huge amount). Took less than 15 minutes! Told you I'm not much of a cook, but we still ate pretty well. :)

Heydee ho guys

8.45am - sweet potato fritters with shallots & bacon bits :) and the last of the romesco sauce. Coffee with coconut milk

938b9a10e38811e1a73522000a1e9ded_6.jpg

10am - Chalene Burn Circuit 3 + Ab Burner, pws - chicken mini fillet

1pm - salad of leaves, celery, roasted red pepper, bacon bits, hard boiled egg.

Half a large banana with homemade wanut cinnamon butter. Coffee with coconut milk

a153747ae3aa11e19d8c22000a1cf738_6.jpg

6pm - pretty sad little dinner of roast chicken, steamed veg & mayo. Followed by strawberries, coconut milk & flakes.

Brekkie and lunch look lovely! Those eggs look so tasty.

Lol at the description of dinner-I've thought the same on occasion when we've had a roast chicken dinner and I've had the steamed veg and plain chicken while the rest of the family lashed into the gravy and the roasties. It's not that there's anything wrong with the plainer option really but it could just do with a bit of salsa or something to liven it up couldn't it? Especially when we're used to the various really tasty flavours/spices etc of other yummy paleo recipes a la Melicious and co. One thing I've found that jazzes it up a bit is the red pesto from 'The Happy Pear' (all W30 compliant ingredients)-a dollop of that on the side turns it into something cheerier :)

It was all M&S's fault, went to get the dine for 2 and the chicken was a friggin cooked chicken with sugared skin, no gammon option there....in fact no unprocessed options at all :( So I got the chicken & ate it with no skin - it still tasted different though.... :ph34r:

The strawberries were lovely though :) Would love the crack open the wine :wacko:

Know what you mean about the wine! Miss it at the weekends I have to say.

If you see this anywhere, give it a try http://thehappypear....?id_product=114 it's ridiculo tasty though which nearly puts it into the almond butter category in it's 'eatability straight off the spoon' qualities!

The one I bought had olive oil though, not sunflower as I see listed there! Hope they haven't gone and changed the ingredients.....must check next week.

Evening all

exercise rest day today

8.30am - egg loaf

11am - apple & walnut butter

2pm - omg sooo hungy, was home later than expected. Greek sald from shops with feta removed (it's in a seperate tub so easily done) and used my own dressing. With tin of sardines - my first time trying them in oil (years ago I used to have the ones in tomato sauce mashed up on toast with melted cheese on top - not w30!), they were very good.

Followed by a small portion of strawberries & coconut

219ce0b4e48011e1adda22000a1e869b_6.jpg

6pm - tried to do this for dinner - sheesh :rolleyes: more trouble than it was worth and definitely not as easy as it looks!

Made a nice coleslaw with red cabbage & the addition of spring onions & mustard.

97eb7cf2e49a11e1a953123138104e29_6.jpg

Going to have a slice of fresh pineapple now.

Hi Derval,

I have made the sweet potato fritters and love them but I have not tried them with bacon - gonna have to do that. Thanks for the tip on the romesco sauce.

Is that an egg in the hamburger patty above? Interesting? Is that what you were referring to as harder than it looks. It reminds me of the guacamole burgers I made. They were also not as easy as they look trying to keep the guacamole from leeking out the sides.

Thanks for always sharing such wonderful pictures and food ideas!

Faith

Is that an egg in the hamburger patty above? Interesting? Is that what you were referring to as harder than it looks. It reminds me of the guacamole burgers I made. They were also not as easy as they look trying to keep the guacamole from leeking out the sides.

Yes, soo tricky to get a burger ring into pan while remaining intact, then the egg white spread everywhere, and then trying to flip it. I was in a right flap! I think next time just a regular fried egg on top will be just as good, even better because the egg in todays didn't even have a runny yolk! Oh well, the kids were moderately impressed :)

Oh I forgot to say mine was served on top of a portabello mushroom - I liked this :)

now the romesco sauce, that was good, and it goes on everything!

Archived