Derval does it again

Derval

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my first Whole30 I actually took the scale to a friend's house! Great plan, but then there was that pesky scale at my gym... :(

This time I will stay strong. NO SCALE! If I eat healthy food in reasonable portions and exercise all will be good.

I really think I want to get rid of the scale for good. My husband and children and I can always use the scale at the gym if we want to check our weight. My kids are all small and my husband doesn't use the scale much anyway so why do I keep the darn thing in my bathroom? It really is pointless. Need to discuss with my husband and see if he cares.

Loving all the discussion on the log :) Who would have thunk not weighing ourselves would be such a struggle?

8.30am - Didn't feel like a big cooked breakfast so made a little salad with cherry tomatoes, red onion, avo, evoo and balsamic (bought last night in the deli, suplhite free) and a boiled egg

b7a7f7e8d7be11e1b0f41231382048f4_6.jpg

10am - Chalean Extreme Push Circuit 3, pws - half a chicken breast

1pm - salad leaves, some leftover breakfast salad and 2 pork belly slices, rubbed with well fed sausage spice mix and baked int he oven. Followed by a very delicous treat - 5 dates that I stuffed with macadamias and a cinnamon coffee with coconut milk.

e007b020d7e111e1939222000a1e8b24_6.jpgf3e6cf62d7e211e1b41b22000a1c8856_6.jpg

3.30pm - hard boiled egg w'mayo

5.30pm - Roast chicken, salad, roast carrots & parsnips, roasted red onion & garlic cloves, mayo

74485758d80a11e1958512313d29ea2e_6.jpg

In other news I got some chipotle powder in the fancy deli in town last night, it's not widely available here so was pleased to find it .

Found Kimchi in the Asian market but alas it had rice starch and dextrose (or some ose, can't remember) so had to leave it....

While I was in town I also got my ears pierced , I'm a big girl now!

How have I not seen your log before?? I love all the photos!! Of course, i'm about 5 minutes from heating up my lunch, so they are making be ravenous at the moment, but I still like seeing them. The tomato/avocado salad looks delicious. I'm going to have to try that!

How is the Chalene Extreme going? I have the program as well and maybe I'll pull it out when I'm cleared to exercise again. I did it once before, but never made it to 'lean' because I got too annoyed with her commentary during the workouts after awhile. :wacko: I probably should have just 'muted' her!

Thanks, I'm loving Chalean, my friend lent me her bowflex adjustable weights wihich make it so much easier than faffing around changing plates. I'm just finishing the first week of the push phase. I don't mind her chatter (except that bit about adoption :huh: ) she is so positive & upbeat but I am glad to only have to listen to each workout 4 times.

I scored some awesome fresh organic strawberries on sale at my Whole Foods today. They are so perfect looking and really sweet and flavorful. I also got a great deal on some wild-caught Coho salmon. It was $7/lb less than the regular price so I bough 3+ lbs and froze a bunch for the coming weeks. Yum. I love those Friday specials at my store. Some of them are really awesome!

I bought some Red Boat fish sauce today since I have seen it in a lot of online Paleo recipes. Do you have a favorite recipe you'd like to share that uses this ingredient?

Congrats on the ear piercing!

Yeah but then I read on MM - do not go to Georges st arcade, loads of people have had probs - eeek! Surely my super strong paleo constitution is infection proof right?

I went to Fallon & Byrne - got sulphite free balsamic for a very reasonable 4e (cheapest one they had) and a large-ish tin of chipotle for 4.50. I had to queue up in the chocolate aisle though....oooh the pain...And then the snottiness of the girl on the till! Eh I asked for a bag, not your left arm love.

Yes the salad was nice as a change. The cherry tomatoes are on special in a few of the supermarkets. I've been roasting them in the oven with evoo and herbs and then putting them in the fridge in a jar with all the oil & juices, lovely to have on the side.

I had an awesome breakfast this morning ....watch this space for details later :)

Kids have gone to nanas, time for a nice long post Chalean shower & a big coffee IN PEACE!

Enjoy that shower and coffee!

Fingers crossed you won't have any probs with the earrings.

I'll check out F+B for those next time I'm in town, thanks.

Great idea on the tomatoes on standby in the fridge. I actually got plenty the other day on the 'Super 6' so I must try that with some of them. I often roast them but hadn't thought of storing some for another day.

So today yummies

8.45am - This was SO tasty, I fried up a pack of minced pork (in pork fat :) ) with some of Well Feds sauasge seasoning, along with some roasted onion leftover from yesterdays dinner. Wilted some spinach into that & fried egg on top. I'm looking fwd to having it again in the morning! I might make it in to an omelette or something....

dc147cd2d8a911e1979222000a1e8aa2_6.jpg

9.45am - Chalene Extreme Burn Intervals + Ab Burner. No pws as I had eaten all my chicken.

12.30pm - Al Fresco lunch before the rain came! Salad with balsamic dressing and oven-roasted tomatoes. Served with smoked salmon, small bit of avo (the few bits I could salavage, it had gone bad :() , capers & mayo all mixed up.

f60cecb4d8a911e1b6791231380e6c3a_6.jpg

4pm - 10 almonds + 5 cashews

5.30pm Baked sweet potato (I added ghee, s&p), roast gammon & mixed veg. Followed by apple & almond butter.

7423688ad8d211e18b0122000a1e8b96_6.jpg1ac04e28d8d411e18a2e22000a1e8b88_6.jpg

Dh is having wine & crisps tonight :( I'd love some wine....boooo

Also I haven't weighed myself but feel as if I've gained, which is annoying as I think I'm doing this "by the book" (feel free to offer constructive criticism if you think not) My jeans are feeling very tight and definite muffin top going on. I don't know what to do...I'm just past mid cycle so I can't even pin it on that.

Down in the dumps today :(

Not many pics as it was all pretty messy looking!

Exercise rest day

8.30am

Spicy pork mixed with some leftover cauliflower and carrot rice and spinach. Fried egg on top

11.30am - boiled egg and 6 macadamias

1pm - we went to an international fusion fare in a municipal park where it poured rain on and off the whole time. I knew there'd be lots of food stalls but prob nothing compliant so I threw together a lunchbox "salad" of whatever I had to hand

Spinach, oven roasted tomatoes, left over roasted carrots, sweet potato, almonds, chorizo, hardboilled egg, roasted chicken thigh meat. Lol what a hodge podge, but it was nice, even though I had to eat hunched over it so the rain didn't get on it!!

4.30pm coffee w'coconut milk and a pecan pie nak'd bar.

6pm spaghetti carbonara made with zucchini noodles and mixed leaves with balsamic.

And who needs wine? (ME ME ME!!!)

Sparkling water, a giant frozen strawberry and mint, served in Waterford crystal :)

c9dd571ad9a211e1a97a22000a1cbf16_6.jpg

Hey Derval, sorry to hear you're having one of those days. I must admit to feeling a bit like that myself today too. Is it the weather I wonder? I am so tempted to run into the kitchen and bake a Peach Cobbler which I just read the recipe for in the Sunday Times. It has flour and is not compliant of course but it is very appealing to me here this evening.

Anyway, hope tomorrow will be a more upbeat day for you.

And who needs wine? (ME ME ME!!!)

Sparkling water, a giant frozen strawberry and mint, served in Waterford crystal :)

c9dd571ad9a211e1a97a22000a1cbf16_6.jpg

THAT'S what I should have last night instead of the many vodka lemonades....UGH. Would be feeling so much better and productive today if I had behaved!

A sunny day in Dublin & feeling much brighter, had a good online chat with another w30'er which helped too (Thanks SG :) ) .

Spent nearly all day in the park with the kids, it was lovely, and they didn't fight too much, in fact I had to capture this moment of them *not* fighting!

67048004da5211e1822f22000a1e89bd_6.jpg

8.45am - omelette like thing made with last of my spicy pork, spinach & 2 eggs

1ce2c6dada1f11e19c2822000a1e8ab9_6.jpg

10am - Chalean Extreme Burn Circuit 1, pws - baked skinless chicken thigh - probably too fatty a cut for post work out but so tasty!

1pm - So I brought an opened bag of salad from home, and my dressing to the park. Stopped in the shops en route and got some king prawns and an avocadeo. Made myself salad in a bag - classy :D . Then I had some fruit, a mandarin and an apple and over the course of the afternoon some nuts

23d41ff2da4211e1bccc22000a1e8b84_6.jpg74f3df02da4311e1b1c522000a1e86b4_6.jpg

4.30pm - got home from park to get text from dh to say he was running the long way home and would be later than usual for dinner. I was hungry already so had a banana & almond butter with a coffee. :o Wow this tasted like such a decedant treat!

6.30pm - A very delicous meal - a big ol lamb rump steak (new item in specially selected range in Aldi for the Irish w30'ers) served a very sweet & tasty ratatouille I made. And I didn't make anything extra for dh - ha ha I'll turn him yet!!

c8d52aacda6d11e19d8c22000a1e8b28_6.jpg

Cute pic of the kids!

Great to hear you had a brighter day today. Yay!

You're a great woman for the salad in a bag! Didn't you have a similar number at Farmleigh? :)

I had ratatouille today too funnily enough. Always find it a good option for getting a good big portion of tasty veg. I saw those lamb rump steaks the other day actually. Must try them. Did you see they have blueberries on the super 6 at the moment? 69c a punnet!

In Farmleigh I bought a burger with no bun so had meat & salad in a brown paper bag, I take al fresco dining too a whole new level for sure :D

The blueberries were all gone :( when I was there but it was quite late, will try again annother day earlier. Are they any good?

Yes I was pleased with the ratatouille, I think it was my first time making it....I was inspired by an episode of Masterchef new Zealand I watched online last night.

Pouring rain today, we had to cancel our trip to the zoo :( movie day instead.

8am - fried some chorizo till crispy, added last nights leftover ratatouille and heated through, fried egg on top (speaking of, where's Johnny these days?)

74f7e118dae011e1b56922000a1c8802_6.jpg

9.15am - Chalean Extreme Burn Circuit 2. PWS - skinless roast chicken thigh

1pm - Salad with avo & prawn, dressed with evoo & lemon. Apple & almond butter

c3c60d48db0711e1b05e1231380458d1_6.jpg

5.30 pm - 2 homemade beef burgers, guac, chipotle mayo (home made), sweet potato fries, oven roasted tomatoes

1ff4be60db3111e1a78c12313804ce91_6.jpg

Salad in a bag. Genius.

I love the pic of the kids "not fighting". Can totally relate. My kids are currently enjoying a TV, computer and Android Tablet free afternoon after not listening too well this morning when we were out and about away from home... :)

Lovely looking feast there! What way did you do the sweet potato fries? In the oven?

Your lunch looks gorgeous too! In fact so does your breakfast-I might recreate it tomorrow as i still have some ratatouille left.

Weather was awful alright. My kids had summer camp and just wore their rain gear as camp goes on as normal regardless of the weather. Think tomorrow to be bit better-you might get your zoo trip in.

Sweet potatoes - scrub skins clean(ish) , Cut into skinny chips, coat with fat of choice (I used melted pork fat but paleomg rec's avoc oil) and sea salt. Cook for 25ish mins at gas 6 on a baking tray with parchment paper (I agree with paleomg that this seems to help them crisp)

So today was exercise rest day :) Dh had booked the day off work and the family went to visit Kilmainham Gaol - loved being reminded of my history from school, found it very moving.

In the afternoon, I took Lily into town and I went to the printers and got my pdf of Well Fed done up, save me bringing the laptop to the kitchen (cost €9 for printing & thermal binding). Not nearly as nice as I'm sure the real book is, but needs must. We also went to a kids Art & culture centre and had nice time together. Absolutely shattered by the time we got home and still had to go to shops and cook dinner for everyone. Sometimes I get so sick of having to think of meals & cook them *every* *single* *day*.

So enough of all that!

8am - bacon, guac, fried egg, fried zucchini

f23fb62edbac11e1a7f71231380ff15b_6.jpg

12.30pm - tuna salad! I have disliked canned tuna forever so I experimented witha tin of posh Spanish stuff (€1+ dearer than the reg John West stuff) and it was good!

So a bed of dressed salad, spinach & avo. Mixed tuna, caper & chopped celery with my mayo. Tasty!! Followed by apple & almond butter while the rest of the family scoffed jam doughnuts & pain au chocolat!

4008d404dbcf11e1986b123138141b3c_6.jpg

4pm - Americanno from my fav cafe. I so wanted a skinny capp. like I used to have, and they give you a free really nice chocolate with your coffee. I got a white chocolate for the kid so I wouldn't be tempted :) I hate white chocolate.

6pm - salad and a salmon & asparagus omelette, followed by banana & blueberries with coconut milk & flakes (kids love this too). Swmpo? - maybe... I'll call it "50 shades of paleo" :lol:

6ef49be8dbfe11e193de22000a1e8ca9_6.jpgcb856bd6dc0211e1bbd822000a1e86af_6.jpg

Parchment paper! That's a good idea! I haven't tried it with our sweet potato oven fries but I will next time. Good thinking!

I'm still loving your photos. Here is a weird phenomenon. I've noticed that egg photos look so much more appetizing to me when the eggs are fried/intact and yet I don't like to eat eggs that way (I have issues with yolk unless it's scrambled in). What is wrong with me? ;-)

Archived