Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emily, sorry to hear your husband gave in... what a bummer! But don't worry he's sure to start up again on his own accord once he sees you literally radiating with epic health! So stick with it chica, oh and I love headspace too! Happy to hear others are into meditation. :D

It's day 11 for me, yesterday I wanted to post but the site wouldn't load. Everything is going really well... Feeling great...And I can see myself doing a whole 60, I really don't want to stop feeling this awesome. My face looks less puffy and my rings are slipping off my fingers. I just can't wait to look at before and after pictures!

Much love everyone! Take care I've gotta go study for advancement :/

Today was so erratic and I didn't eat a real meal but instead caught food where I could. It was all compliant but, ugh, I feel crappy. My husband had hand surgery (father/son football game injury!) and I brought a Larabar in the event I couldn't find something to eat in the hospital cafeteria. And wouldn't you know it, I walked around that darn line several times and there was nothing that could be eaten.

I hope tomorrow will be better but I do feel a struggle coming on. What's this timeline that has been referenced? If today and tomorrow are supposed to be challenging, I think I am living the charts.

It is not your responsibility to maintain your DH's health, nor his choices. Unfortunately. It's hard to watch someone, knowing you have information that could make a difference, do things that are unhealthy for them. But you can't make them do it. So just keep being awesome, and eventually he will see what a difference it is making in your life.

I wish there was a LOVE button for this.  True in so many relationships and not just Whole 30 related.  Seriously, LOVE, love, love.

Well, that was fast.  My husband quit.  He ate bread and peanuts on his business trip. 

I knew he wasn't as committed as me but I'm still really disappointed.  I also feel like such a loser, because I can't even convince the one person who is closest to me to stick with this way of eating.  He is telling me that I am a flake and not thinking critically because I believe that diet can make such differences in our health. 

My resolve is somehow stronger, though?  Like I am going to continue on and lead by example?  Does anyone else have trouble with partners or family members mocking them for choosing this way of life?  How can I be more persuasive?

Don't stop! Stay on track & persuade him with ur results!! Whatever u do enjoy the weekend!!

Emily - are you kidding?  My husband used to have all out melt-downs because our kitchen was trashed every day during my first whole 30 as I was learning the new style of eating and cooking.  He will eat what I make for a while and then totally off road and tell me that the food I have been making is disgusting.  And, worse than that, he sabotages my attempts to keep the children on the whole30.  Last night, even, I fed the kids before I left for work.  All he needed to do was put them to bed.  I told him if he needed to feed them something, it was meat or vegetables.  Simple enough.  So what did he feed them?  French fries.  And then he asked me if he could feed them just a chicken nugget or two.

So, no, this has to be about yourself, and yourself alone.  I did not have difficulty doing the whole30 for myself last time, once I let go of any expectation on his part.  That's his problem, not yours. 

So I discovered the coolest trick today.  I've been making my own almond milk from bags of raw almonds from Costco.  I tried soaking them and peeling them, but it was really hard to get the peel off so I gave up.  Well, today I didn't feel like running the sink long enough to get warm water to soak the almonds, so I put cold water onto the almonds and then nuked the bowl with water and almonds for four minutes to warm the water.  When I came back an hour later, the blanched almonds just popped out of their skins, easy peasy!  I made almond milk from blanched almonds and then I used the still wet blanched almond flour to make some lemon blueberry paleo muffins for the kids from Eat Like a Dinosaur.

I'm pulling a triple shift this weekend - I'm an emergency veterinarian and will be working from 8p to 5p at one job and then driving an hour to my next shift from 8p-8a.  I packed meals and don't feel like I am going to cheat.  Where I have been failing is in the exercise.  I have only exercised once in the first 10 days and will not exercise at least until Sunday, after a 36 hour shift.  My joints don't ache, so the immune portion of the plan is working, but I'd also like to lose a little bit more weight (I'm about 10-15 lbs from my goal weight), and I don't get the sense I will lose weight unless I find time to exercise.

Helen - I made the Sunshine Sauce, too, and I decided to roast sunflower seeds and grind them specifically for the recipe, then added the rest of the ingredients for the sauce.  I have a Vitamix, too, and except for the 5 minutes to pan roast the sunflower seeds, it didn't add much time to the recipe to make your own sunbutter for the sauce.

Must say today has probably the worst one I've had!!! Went from "blue" to downright huffy & puffy!!! Kept thinking I wanted something to snack on. My hands were swollen today, too.  I managed to stay compliant.  Tomorrow I have a luncheon then have to do meal planning & grocery shopping.......so I can cook on Sunday.

What are some of your favorite cookbooks.  This is my first venture into this type eating & cooking.  I have Well Fed & plan to get a hard copy of ISWF (have the Kindle version........cant find recipes to save my life on that).

Everybody have a good, healthy weekend  :)

Hey team

Day 10 was interesting.  We had co-workers from our Toronto office in town today for an all-day boardroom meeting and I was helping with logistics (being that they were on my home turf).  I also have the corporate credit card and made arangements for food.  One of our party from out of town is Vegan so I had to rely on her for advice and she suggested Thai food.  I ended up pre-ordering Pad Thai, red curry chicken/rice and other dishes for the team today, went out the resturant and purchased their food, brought it back to our meeting and then proceeded to pull out my own lunch (big salad with Balsamic and EVOO, Homemade guacamole and salmon salad with paleo mayo).  I was not tempted and pretty stoked (almost empowered) to be doing this for myself.  I get to eat this way and feel this way!  It helps that I have done this W30 thing before because with practice comes confidence to allow myself to be different than all my co-workers, my boss and the team I work with every day.

Then I proceeded to come home, but I picked up my resturant take-out that my family ordered on my way home and then proceeded to make my bacon, eggs and avocado with olives dinner.  Feeling good about today and feeling good in general.  It was nice to see that even though my wife and kids had resturant food, the were all eyeing (and smelling) my bacon!  Earlier this week I managed to find some W30 compliant, natrually cured bacon (no sugar) and I was pretty darn stoked.

Cheers

DJ

Must say today has probably the worst one I've had!!! Went from "blue" to downright huffy & puffy!!! Kept thinking I wanted something to snack on. My hands were swollen today, too.  I managed to stay compliant.  Tomorrow I have a luncheon then have to do meal planning & grocery shopping.......so I can cook on Sunday.

What are some of your favorite cookbooks.  This is my first venture into this type eating & cooking.  I have Well Fed & plan to get a hard copy of ISWF (have the Kindle version........cant find recipes to save my life on that).

Everybody have a good, healthy weekend  :)

The Nom Nom Paleo app has some great recipes and I have no doubt her book will be amazing. Her spicy tuna cakes are really versatile.

I'm out for lunch today, too at a Japanese chain restaurant here in the UK called Wagamama. I've checked out their menu and, luckily, they give lots of dietary information. There's one thing I think will be compliant (!) and that's if I get the rice noodles removed or eat around them! I just need to check what cooking oil and sauce they use. Sigh.

Helen - I made the Sunshine Sauce, too, and I decided to roast sunflower seeds and grind them specifically for the recipe, then added the rest of the ingredients for the sauce.  I have a Vitamix, too, and except for the 5 minutes to pan roast the sunflower seeds, it didn't add much time to the recipe to make your own sunbutter for the sauce.

Very cool!  Thanks for letting me know.  I finally made almond flour in it yesterday and it was so ridiculously easy.  I think this jar of Sunbutter will last a while for us but I like encouragement.  I never really was taught to cook (and yes I'm in my 40s) as my mom was a Greek immigrant kind of control freak and then I lived with a series of hippie chicks in college and grad school that all cooked.  I can thank the Whole30 for giving me more confidence to try new things!  So when this jar runs out I will make some more myself!

I'm pulling a triple shift this weekend - I'm an emergency veterinarian and will be working from 8p to 5p at one job and then driving an hour to my next shift from 8p-8a.  I packed meals and don't feel like I am going to cheat.  Where I have been failing is in the exercise.  I have only exercised once in the first 10 days and will not exercise at least until Sunday, after a 36 hour shift.  My joints don't ache, so the immune portion of the plan is working, but I'd also like to lose a little bit more weight (I'm about 10-15 lbs from my goal weight), and I don't get the sense I will lose weight unless I find time to exercise.

I don't know how you all in healthcare manage.  I do yoga almost every day and one of my closest friends is a dr and on call some weekends and she goes sometimes 10 days without doing yoga (and she REALLY needs yoga) because of her schedule.  The nice thing about being a teacher is the consistency of the schedule.  I've realized that about myself that I do much better on a routine (and sleep is my friend, poor sleep makes me graze all day on typically sugary stuff).  Don't beat yourself up about the exercise though.  One day at a time :)

Ok, so I tried a bottle of kombucha from the store tonight on my way home. I can see the draw for some folks, but I just don't like it. The texture is off for me. :( Ah well. Seltzer it is...

Be glad!  Kombucha is an expensive habit.  I love it but I'm less attached to it now than I was in the past Whole30s which makes me happy :)

The Nom Nom Paleo app has some great recipes and I have no doubt her book will be amazing. Her spicy tuna cakes are really versatile.

I'm out for lunch today, too at a Japanese chain restaurant here in the UK called Wagamama. I've checked out their menu and, luckily, they give lots of dietary information. There's one thing I think will be compliant (!) and that's if I get the rice noodles removed or eat around them! I just need to check what cooking oil and sauce they use. Sigh.

Spicy tuna cakes sound lovely. No ipad, so no app for me.  I do have the cookbook on its way though.

How'd you get on at Wagamama? 

Hello Day 11! It's been almost a week since I've posted but I'm still on track. First week back at school was crazy--in a good way. I tend to turn into a hermit when there are no people around, so it's been nice being out in the world again. Exhausting, but nice. Had to dodge some cookies a friend brought over (luckily she was around for my first w30 so it wasn't a big deal) and there will probably be wine flowing tonight (club soda is my friend).

I just got the nom nom cookbook on iPad because it was cheaper plus faster. I'm loving it so far. I made her maple sausage patties (with apple instead of syrup) and big-o burgers--so good! It helps that I found compliant bacon at the new fancy grocery store that opened in my neighborhood. This is apparently the week of food in patty form because I've also discovered the ISWF salmon cakes are the perfect on the go food. I'll be making these, along with carrot and red pepper slices, an on-campus staple.

Breakfast will be sausage, sweet potato hash, kale and fried eggs; pad thai and cod for lunch, and a couple of big-o burgers and cauliflower for dinner.

Have a great Saturday all!

Cookbooks - by far, Well Fed and Well Fed 2 are the books I use the most.  With my kids, I use Eat Like A Dinosaur.  Otherwise, I find recipes on-line.  I used Nomnompaleo's website a lot.  I haven't cooked from her book yet, though I own it.  I use Thepaleomom.com a lot, too.  She is a biochemist and has very interesting scientific discussions about the paleo lifestyle.  stalkerville.com lists whole30 compliant recipes.  Elena's pantry has great recipes, too.  theclothesmakethegirl, againstallgrain are others I am linked to on facebook and I click on recipes they post.

Survived day 10.  Starting day 11 in the midst of my triple shift.  I have scores of soup that I froze in muffin tins, so I brought a mason jar with pucks of chicken broth and asparagus/bacon soup for breakfast.  I have a "failed" recipe of snap peas, onions, and chicken (kinda Well Fed's Pad Thai without the sunshine sauce, boo hoo), that I added some chicken broth and will turn into soup - that'll be lunch and possibly dinner.  An apple for snack.  I'm doing a 21-day sugar detox, too.  And off coffee.

I just saw an ad for T25 exercise program.  Anyone doing that?  Exercise is my downfall this time around.

Emily, that sucks about hubby quitting, but I agree with what all the others said- he's gotta do it himself. I have been playing around with paleo for 2 years and hubby is finally going grain free this year. Still eats dairy though.

I am so on the timeline. Felt like quitting yesterday. Babies were driving me nuts fussing, and I just really wanted to deal with it by eating chcocolate, but then I realized that eating sugar will NOT make them fuss less. If anything, it will upset their tummies more. Then I cleaned house to distract myself. With 4 kids I should be able to distract myself this way a lot, lol.

Also tried something new this morning. I always cook a big breakfast anyway, so I decided to roast some veggies while I was making the rest of the meal. Such a small thing, but it never occurred to me before. Now I have some yummy roasted vegs to eat later today!

Oh and I want to make pad Thai but my sunbutter had sugar. Think I can sub cashew butter?

Djoyce you are the MAN!  Two meals like that in one day would have completely used up my will.

I miss Wagamamas.

Yes, cashew butter would be GREAT as a substitute for sunflower butter in the pad thai.  I've done it with Almond Butter.  I will caution, however, that the cashew butter may make it so good it's food without brakes!  Last time I made it, it never got to the plate.  I ate from the pot on the oven.  Yes, that's right, I'm 'stayin' classy'.

Spicy tuna cakes sound lovely. No ipad, so no app for me.  I do have the cookbook on its way though.

How'd you get on at Wagamama?

Wagamama was really good! Not a huge choice for us W30ers but I had a tea egg as a little side (boiled egg half dipped in tea, inexplicably!) and the chicken itame without noodles, which wasn't a problem for them. I also had a little bit of fresh beetroot, carrot and apple juice. I couldn't resist and I don't usually drink juice anyway so didn't see it as a problem psychologically, certainly not a trigger for me. Best of all it was all free as it was a trial run for the restaurant before it opens! The coconut in the broth didn't bloat me, which it has done a bit recently. Feeling good.

I've been away for a while, but still on track!  I had my first dream last night about chomping down on something- I don't remember exactly what, but it was crusty and pizza-y and I was horrified when I realized that I'd stuffed it in my mouth without thinking.  Then I woke up.  Phew.  :) 

I didn't see all of the thoughts about the sunshine sauce, but I couldn't find compliant sunbutter and so made it using tahini and it worked really well.  Might be better with actual sunbutter- but I'm not sure what the difference would be, as they both have the exact same ingredients, right? 

Just got Well Fed 2 in the mail last night!  I'm making at least 3 recipes from it this weekend-- Cincinnati chili, plantain nachos (for football watching) and a chicken curry recipe.  I'm also going to make up some mayo and some sauces to put on things to make them different and more delicious.  I love the section in this cookbook on making plain old broccoli (which I love) even more delicious.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Jen

Yesterday was day 10. Was on target for meals. Initiated dance groupon and learned the Tango for my exercise. Today is Day 11 and I am doing well. Feel like I am on autopilot in a good way, but staying vigilant. Energy good. Ran 8 miles this morning. Eating out at nice restaurant with friends later, previewed the menu online earlier. No sweat! Have a great weekend y'all!!!

Well Fed's Cinnamon Beef Stew with Orange Gremolata (sp?). Wow. Didn't have high hopes (hadn't liked the smell of it when it was cooking) but OMG that was GOOD. Even hubbie liked it (who is supportive of me doing this but sees no reason why he should change what he eats ... however, I cook dinner for both of us so although his breakfast and lunch are wheat / carb / sugar fests, dinner tends not to be!)

Cooked up cauliflower and tomatoes today as well, and still have mayo so am doing OK. Need to defrost some protein for lunch tomorrow and then I'm doing a roast chicken for the evening. Mmm. Have aubergines in the fridge to make some baba ganoush later this week if I can be bothered.

Still feeling smug about doing a W30 and the wine wine wine thing that was going on in my head has stopped. :)

Archived