Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

My challenge to myself will be to see if I can get out and run by the beach on Saturday and Sunday mornings.  I hate running outside because I am terrible at pacing myself, but it's going to be around 60 degrees and the scenery is nice, so perhaps that will motivate me.

Put Queen on the iPod. Seriously, for some reason 90% of their music is the perfect beat for running. It's the only way I keep myself in check. (Because my body LOVES to run 9 minute miles, for about a half mile...then I fall over. lol)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy day 10 everybody!

So far during my Whole30, I haven't been tested much by going out to eat or distracted by social events.  That ends tonight.  I am going to a BIG party where there will be lots of beer and people drinking and probably all kinds of unhealthy foods.  And there will be lots of people there I know who will not understand why I'm not drinking.  My plan is to fly under the radar, sip on some tonic with lime, and use the excuse that I'm the designated driver.  If worse comes to worse I may just hold a cup of beer in my hand but not drink it!  These are the type of people who will NOT understand the Whole30.  If I can survive tonight, I can survive anything!

In other news, during the first 10 days so far, I can't say that my experience looks much like the timeline.  I didn't experience the hangover or carb flu.  I didn't experience kill all the things.  I have been a little extra sleepy but mostly I think because I have been consuming much less caffeine than usual.  My sleep is maybe a little better but not much.  I have not had any bad cravings.  I feel good, no complaints, but it makes me worry I'm not doing this right. So far my eating has been 100% compliant, to my knowledge.  Anybody else feeling decidedly normal?

In other news, during the first 10 days so far, I can't say that my experience looks much like the timeline.  I didn't experience the hangover or carb flu.  I didn't experience kill all the things.  I have been a little extra sleepy but mostly I think because I have been consuming much less caffeine than usual.  My sleep is maybe a little better but not much.  I have not had any bad cravings.  I feel good, no complaints, but it makes me worry I'm not doing this right. So far my eating has been 100% compliant, to my knowledge.  Anybody else feeling decidedly normal?

Yep, decidedly normal here. But other than my tendency to eat far too many sweets and days where I consider tortilla chips and guacamole or french bread and brie to be an acceptable lunch my diet is fairly clean.

Though, I did make it through two days of Welsh class without flagging like I usually do. And without any biscuits. (Seriously, the biscuits get opened before class even starts at 9)  These intensive language days are where I start to fuel myself with sugar and caffeine.  An easy dinner tonight of frozen fish, leftover vegetable puree and some other frozen veg.

Day 7 of my first whole 30 and going strong! The hardest part is trying not to snack in between meals, I feel like my meals are hearty and large already. But usually I find myself reaching for nuts and fruit in the mid-afternoon -- guess it could be worse, but does anyone have advice to ward of the in-between meal hunger? 

Thanks!

Well, today was weird. Ive started to lose my appetite a bit. I made the mistake today of not eating lunch before work bc my breakfast had me filled up, but I was genuinely not very hungry. I felt like Id be uncomfortable at work if I had eaten. I had a late start today at work and a lovely client had given us some Viennese chocolate cookies. Not really tempted altho I was starting to feel hungry after a few hours. My eating habits were weird before W30. Id eat only when I felt hungry, mostly low carb, but I would boost my energy with sugary stuff, chocolate mostly, or even fruit, sweet tea, whatever. Id miss meals all the time, the reason being is that eating always makes me feel super bloated. I have colitis and even when Im not flaring I have these type of symptoms. Im riding it out, I wont miss anymore meals and Ill try to eat regularly. I might have to do the five smaller meals a day, because even eating normal size meals I feel very uncomfortable. I feel hungry enough to eat it, but once I start digesting it, I feel very bloated and uncomfortable.

The only exercise I do is yoga. Im on my feet all day and the days Im off I will go for a walk but I don't drive so Im walking everywhere and Ive felt like sleeping all the time lately! I had a nap before work this afternoon. I did my yoga and I felt so much better afterward. I feel like I need to do it regularly, twice a day to feel normal and not in pain, mostly neck pain like I have a trapped nerve in my neck or something.

anyway, Ive got company now so will talk later.

Day 7 of my first whole 30 and going strong! The hardest part is trying not to snack in between meals, I feel like my meals are hearty and large already. But usually I find myself reaching for nuts and fruit in the mid-afternoon -- guess it could be worse, but does anyone have advice to ward of the in-between meal hunger? 

Thanks!

I love herbal tea for this... Mint, Tropical Hibiscus (Simply Balanced's tastes like lemonade!), Rose, etc 

Woo, how are y'all doing on day 10? The timeline says the next two days are the hardest ones in general, and it has been pretty spot on for me so far. Last night and today are the first days where I have experienced the urge to clean out the pantry with my face. I distracted myself by taking a nice soaky bath (I have Epsom Salts again by the way), because who wants to pig out in the bathtub? NOT ME.

The dreams were back last night, too... I dreamed I ate something noncompliant... I think a cream puff or something similar, and was trying to hard to spit it all out without swallowing because THEN IT DIDN'T COUNT. I have mostly escaped specific cravings for anything in particular outside of dreams; it's more like EAT ALL THE THINGS. I find the example in one of articles on the site is the best thing for me... am I hungry enough to eat steamed fish and broccoli? No? Then I am not hungry.

I did eat my first Larabar today, because I didn't feel too well this morning and ate a light breakfast, so I was gettin' hangry. I see why they are a good emergency food, but like Lexes I am afraid it has awakened my sugar dragon and now it will follow me around all day like one of Anne McCaffrey's Fire Lizards going, "Pie? Pie? Pie? Pie? CAKE! Pie? Pie?"

Mom of 2 kids, I feel you on the ping-pong poo ride between too loose and HIT THE BRAKES. I did a salt water flush this morning after worrying about the same problem, and not much was around to flush! So I googled it and one thing to remember is that for those of us who used to eat a lot of grains, we are used to ... shall we say... large volume? Now that we are eating more protein and fat, which the body actually uses, and less indigestible fiber, we are not going to have that volume. Our bodies are using up more of what we eat, instead of having to kick it back out. This is not a thing I had considered.

For those of you with basically no symptoms... tonight when I build a tiny Lego town and stomp through it like Godzilla, I will think of you. Oh yes. How I will think of you. No but seriously, congrats! Were you mostly Paleo before this? The page says that the worse you ate before the W30, the worse your symptoms will be, and let me tell y'all, the last quarter of the year is a no holds bar sugar extravaganza up in my family, so it is no wonder my symptoms have been nuts.

So, for those of y'all who were right there with me during the holidays with candy canes and chocolate covered cherries and brownies and egg nog flying in your face like a delicious and behind-increasing blizzard: FEAR NOT, FOR I AM WITH YOU.

Well, that was fast.  My husband quit.  He ate bread and peanuts on his business trip. 

I knew he wasn't as committed as me but I'm still really disappointed.  I also feel like such a loser, because I can't even convince the one person who is closest to me to stick with this way of eating.  He is telling me that I am a flake and not thinking critically because I believe that diet can make such differences in our health. 

My resolve is somehow stronger, though?  Like I am going to continue on and lead by example?  Does anyone else have trouble with partners or family members mocking them for choosing this way of life?  How can I be more persuasive?

lexes42 - what is with that post-nap appetite?! It is a total danger zone for me, too! Tiredness generally is one of my biggest binge triggers but I somehow never seem to learn and just go to bed instead.

Not a bad day here:

M1: leftover NomNom spicy tuna cakes, roasted veg and brocolli

M2: butternut squash soup, olives and prosciutto

M3: pan fried salmon (skin on) with rosemary and anchovy sauce and purple sprouting brocolli and asparagus (from Jamie Oliver's Cook with Jamie)

M3 was an old favourite but the soup at M2 was a new recipe and not great. Meh, win some lose some.

I popped to a friend's place earlier this evening and they were cracking open the wine just after 6. I actually felt quite smug to be free of that compulsion! Redbush tea for me instead in a minute. Out for drinks tomorrow with the same friend and a crowd for her birthday. She doesn't understand me not drinking, so I'm just hoping to fly under the radar with it. Why do people seem so threatened by others not drinking?

Hey, Happy Day 10 to us all!  Haven't been very good about checking in every day, so here's an update:

Still all Whole30 clean eating, although I did have a couple of nights where I was still hungry a couple of hours after dinner & had a small snack, e.g., a few pork rinds & well fed mayo dip.  Haven't had more than 2 servings of fruit a day & on some days none at all, which may be why my fasting glucose is coming down at a decent pace. 

Just an FYI for anyone else with blood sugar issues:  my first Whole30 last August turned into a Whole75 & at the end, my A1c was down from 5.8 to 5.3 - half a point, which in a 3-point spread is huge!!  It puts me into "normal" range (although Robb Wolf & others in the paleo community recommend even lower).  See this page for some info on the test http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003640.htm if you care.

Doing well with the running goals (my training week is offset from my Whole30 start, so this is my "1st" week).  Still feels like a struggle while I'm running, but as with the last Whole30, my recovery time is amazingly faster.  It almost seems like the whole cycle of DOMS speeds up, the onset happening within a couple of hours & by the next morning it's gone. 

Not doing well with the morning yoga goal, though.  I'm very tired in the AM, oversleeping & just not finding myself able to squeeze in the time.

Doing pretty well with the lights-out-earlier bit, only missed a couple so far.  My sleep is still spotty, though, so I think I will try to reduce my morning coffee intake to a single cup.  Oh, and I haven't called myself an old fart for 10 days -- well, at least not directly, although I did say I want the old-fart discount., when the cashier at the health food store asked me if I qualified for any. B)

Have a great rest of the day everyone!!

Day ten: Easy there, everyone. We're a third of the way through. Things are looking up and you all can do it!

(Thats what I wanted to hear today, so everyone else can hear it too).

Things are going pretty dandy for me (SORRY, Alliath!), but if I see anyone else post their "Whole 30 Breakfast" of banana pancakes or giant smoothies on Instagram, I might just go back to the Kill All The Things Stage. Hulloooooo, didnt you read the SWYPO sections mentioned, um, well, everywhere in the ISWF book and here on the website? Smoothies and Pancakes were mentioned no no's. And as a former Smoothie Addict, please, Stop It!

Okay, I feel better now. Yeah. Ten days down. Twenty to go. Lets do this!

@Emily - be persuasive by saying nothing but staying compliant!  Trust me, he truly will notice the difference in your mood, skin, eyes, and probably body in 2 - 3 more weeks!  You are so NOT a loser for not keeping him on board.  You can't make him do anything he doesn't want to do... and like quitting smoking, sometimes this big change takes a few times falling off the wagon before it really takes hold.

He's only giving you grief because he feels a guilty.  Turn  the mocking around on him and say... really? you couldn't go without a piece of bread for a month?  whatta wimp!  And as it happens, at the moment the popular media is catching on to the 'sugar makes you sick' thread.  Paleo might be 'out' in terms of talking points, but the idea that white flour and sugar contribute to neurological and auto-immune problems - and the inability to lose weight - is gaining traction  in its place with more and more science to back it up.  Besides, how is it being a flake and not thinking critically to eat solely meat and vegetables for a month and avoiding bread and sugar?  It's being very 'critical' to do a proper elimination of legumes and dairy and the adding them back in to SEE how they effect you.  You too can have the peanuts in February, if you want... but honestly, how special are peanuts?  He's the loser (imho) for not having the steel will that you do.... on the other hand, business trips are hard and men are just as hard on one another as women about abstaining from food and drink...

I think lots of people get grief... my boyfriend is sometimes supportive and sometimes completely sabotage city.

People really really do feel threatened when someone stops drinking, smoking, eating desert, being a couch potato... whatever they believe they also 'should' stop doing but don't want to do the 'hard' work.  misery loves company as they say....

That's why I don't feel bad for going with the 'smug' feelings right now... someday I won't need them, but for now it helps me remember that I'm going to leave everyone in the dust with my beautiful skin, happy, productive mood and non headachy demeanor   :rolleyes:

Scores:  1.  Found Sunbutter (organic) with no added sugar so can make the Sunshine Sauce this weekend.  It was $9 a container.  Gulp.  2. Made almond flour in my Vitamix

I'm very happy!  Also, went out to lunch with a friend after yoga.  Brought my own dressing (my virgin time doing this) but it made lunch awesome.

This is my 3rd Whole30.  I feel great honestly.  I would like to drink beer tonight after my dance wave and next Sat drink some wine at a party but I need the detox and I'm committed.  Mostly I want to boredom eat and can't do this.  I'm not so attached to Kombucha this time around (drinking more water) or to Larabars (have had two and both times were kind of emergencies as out with kids hours past time we were supposed to be).  

I am SO glad I quit using the Trader Joe's light coconut milk and switched to full fat.  What a difference.  

My friends seem to have accepted that two months a year I'm doing this.  I might make it three.  September and January are on the books so far.

Happy Friday!

My friends seem to have accepted that two months a year I'm doing this.  I might make it three.  September and January are on the books so far.

Happy Friday!

Yes, I think I will make January and August a regular 'reset'.  Hopefully the amount of 'off roading' will diminish between each one over time....

Well, that was fast.  My husband quit.  He ate bread and peanuts on his business trip. 

I knew he wasn't as committed as me but I'm still really disappointed.  I also feel like such a loser, because I can't even convince the one person who is closest to me to stick with this way of eating.  He is telling me that I am a flake and not thinking critically because I believe that diet can make such differences in our health. 

My resolve is somehow stronger, though?  Like I am going to continue on and lead by example?  Does anyone else have trouble with partners or family members mocking them for choosing this way of life?  How can I be more persuasive?

Reading your posts I feel like you and I are on the same page with a lot of symptoms/hunger, etc.  My husband is staying strong now but is already planning to cheat at a work/interview event with wine.  I can't really blame him too much though because networking is hard when you're trying to get a job and it can be awkward not to drink. 

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!  We are all reading each other's posts here and will make it through the 30+ days together! 

ETA:  He's only mocking you now because he feels guilty or ashamed that he succumbed to what was likely peer pressure or emotional eating.  I'd just let his words hang in the air when he says anything mocking.

Day 10 for me as well. One of the big reasons I chose to do a Whole30 was to "examine" my relationship with alcohol. Red wine and I have a very, very close relationship. It has been difficult, but until today, the cravings were just about red wine. Today, putting groceries away, I must have sat for a full minute and stared at the several bottles of microbrew in my fridge (which have been there since September...which shows how often I drink beer), then started fantasizing about a gin and tonic...apparently, my body has finally accepted that wine is off limits so now is testing my resolve with whatever other alcohol it can think of...

However, on a positive note, I didn't feel any real hard core cravings at the grocery store for the dark chocolate, ice cream, and of course all the bread/pasta stuff. I hope that trend continues, because that is another big reason I chose to do the Whole30 - get a handle on my cravings.

I've been dealing with some emotional stuff lately and it's been hard, but today I realized I am working through it without turning to food or alcohol, which is an absolute first for me. I am a big time emotional eater and drinker and at first I thought I had timed my Whole30 poorly now that I'm having to deal with this stuff...but perhaps it is a blessing in disguise because I am learning I can get through this without those bad habits.

Day 10 for me as well. One of the big reasons I chose to do a Whole30 was to "examine" my relationship with alcohol. Red wine and I have a very, very close relationship. It has been difficult, but until today, the cravings were just about red wine. Today, putting groceries away, I must have sat for a full minute and stared at the several bottles of microbrew in my fridge (which have been there since September...which shows how often I drink beer), then started fantasizing about a gin and tonic...apparently, my body has finally accepted that wine is off limits so now is testing my resolve with whatever other alcohol it can think of...

However, on a positive note, I didn't feel any real hard core cravings at the grocery store for the dark chocolate, ice cream, and of course all the bread/pasta stuff. I hope that trend continues, because that is another big reason I chose to do the Whole30 - get a handle on my cravings.

I've been dealing with some emotional stuff lately and it's been hard, but today I realized I am working through it without turning to food or alcohol, which is an absolute first for me. I am a big time emotional eater and drinker and at first I thought I had timed my Whole30 poorly now that I'm having to deal with this stuff...but perhaps it is a blessing in disguise because I am learning I can get through this without those bad habits.

Same here with the wine.  I really wanted to break the habit of just uncorking wine at the end of every(?) workday, or with dinner in the evenings.  We *love* wine and both of us want to become sommeliers in the future.  But, I don't want to rely on it, and I think it lessens my resolve with other things (shopping? eating a ton of french cheese simultaneously?). 

I've been really proud of myself for not drinking (even at social events) and trying to think of things for my husband and I to do on date night that aren't drinking (very much a part of NYC culture!). 

Good luck working through the hard stuff that usually brings on food/wood.  Maybe treat yourself to a massage or some new clothes?  I know that sounds trite, but when I do something out of the ordinary for myself like that it pays dividends.

Thanks for the supportive messages.  I really appreciate them.  I am going to persuade by example!  Of course the number one thing he'll notice is if I lose weight and I'm not really sure that can happen from just 30 days...but whatever.  I feel awesome so I am going to keep doing it.

And I want to say how great it is that those like me who have a close friendship with red wine are being strong about not giving in to the siren song of a glass of pinot or whatever.  I too drank emotionally, and it's been challenging to give up that crutch.  One day at a time and then one event at a time and then hopefully I won't feel like I need my wine to relax. 

Ditto on the wine-to-relax thing.  I'm a corporate lawyer during the day and work is often very stressful.  Things I have been trying out to try to destress quickly (and not be a jerk to my husband while I'm decompressing from work!) are (i) I've been taking a hot bath like every day to relax instead and putting on podcasts or open courseware. It's weird, but I find my mind actually kind of wants to be challenged more than how I typically feel so mentally exhausted at the end of the day that I couldn't read a magazine if I tried. And (ii) I've been working out more.  I've been going in the morning because I'm both less tired and never hungover. 

These things have been keeping me strong so far.  The workout class I go to in the morning charges you $26 if you reserve and don't cancel within 12 hours so that is a MAJOR motivator.

I also feel like such a loser, because I can't even convince the one person who is closest to me to stick with this way of eating.  He is telling me that I am a flake and not thinking critically because I believe that diet can make such differences in our health. 

It is not your responsibility to maintain your DH's health, nor his choices. Unfortunately. It's hard to watch someone, knowing you have information that could make a difference, do things that are unhealthy for them. But you can't make them do it. So just keep being awesome, and eventually he will see what a difference it is making in your life.

My husband is the poster child for the standard american diet and he sometimes goes "ewww" when he sees my food but he is very supportive of me eating this way because he has seen first hand what a difference it has made for me. I would suggest not pushing your husband but asking him to give you the chance to try it and see. Let the changes speak for themselves.

Ok, so I tried a bottle of kombucha from the store tonight on my way home. I can see the draw for some folks, but I just don't like it. The texture is off for me. :( Ah well. Seltzer it is...

I'm home early, so in a weird "want to eat because I'm sitting around" mood. I think I'll go clean my kitchen instead. :)

Tomorrow is our dinner out... at least the guys (DH and his best friend) worked hard to find a place I can eat a reasonable meal easily.

Awww, Emily, what a bummer. I know it probably makes it harder to live with someone who is not doing the program. I agree with Lex though, turn it around on him. Really? You couldn't go without bread for thirty days, dude? Who is the flake here? Is it the person who wanted to try a new way of eating and see how it works for her, or the person who wanted to try a new way of eating and whatever man, peanuts were on the plane so I guess I'll eat them because they're here.

I would understand it more if he just really didn't want to do it and had told you so up front.

It isn't flaky to want to TRY a new way of eating for thirty days. If it doesn't work out for you, or you don't feel the benefits are worth the losses, or you aren't having any issues or health problems, it isn't flaky not to do it anymore either. The whole point of the program is to TRY something new, and see if it works for you. That is not flaky. That's the scientific method.

• Ask a Question
  • Do Background Research
  • Construct a Hypothesis
  • Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
  • Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
  • Communicate Your Results

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOUR HUSBAND'S LACK OF COMMITMENT TO SIXTH GRADE SCIENCE AND YOU MAY TELL HIM SO.

Joking aside, don't let it get you down, and don't feel you have to do this for him or to lead by example - you wanted to see if this would work for you. There is nothing wrong or flaky about that.

Same here with the wine.  I really wanted to break the habit of just uncorking wine at the end of every(?) workday, or with dinner in the evenings.  We *love* wine and both of us want to become sommeliers in the future.  But, I don't want to rely on it, and I think it lessens my resolve with other things (shopping? eating a ton of french cheese simultaneously?). 

I've been really proud of myself for not drinking (even at social events) and trying to think of things for my husband and I to do on date night that aren't drinking (very much a part of NYC culture!). 

Good luck working through the hard stuff that usually brings on food/wood.  Maybe treat yourself to a massage or some new clothes?  I know that sounds trite, but when I do something out of the ordinary for myself like that it pays dividends.

We love our wine around here too, my husband and I both have restaurant backgrounds (he is a chef, I was but stay home with the kids now), and lemme tell you, we're used to opening up that nice bottle of wine in the evening for sure, especially if we are cooking dinner together! Its been tricky for me to not pour that glass of Chardonnay while winding down for the evening!

Archived