with intention

missmary

What kind of base oil does the lotion use?

ha. I should have checked that. It's Acure calming body lotion. I use their shampoo and face lotion and it is great but this one has aloe vera in it (and coconut oil and cacao seed butter and olive oil) but I've had reactions to aloe vera before. grr. I should just use plain coconut oil, that works better anyway.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 21: Jan 21

sleep: natural calm, about 10 sprays magnesium oil, none of the lotion, pretty good sleep,woke up around 4:15 and lay in bed awake for 1/2 hour before I got going.

meal#1:  HB egg, espresso

wo: Agility Cardio + Recovery (walking, sauna, hot tub) + massage tonight

meal #2: roast chicken breast; red and yellow bell pepper strips, steamed broccoli, HB egg, coffee (black) 

meal #3: lamb/lamb liver meatballs, leeks and red cabbage, cooked in ghee with a little fish sauce and ume plum vinegar. cherry tomatoes. avocado. nope. boss took a few of us out for lunch: ahi tuna nicoise (nice portion of slightly seared/mostly raw ahi tuna over tons of mixed greens, one HB egg, 3 green beans and a small handful of black olives in a mustard vinaigrette)

meal #4: probably applegate hotdogs and roasted sweet potato while rushing around before my massage appointment. yup. sauteed in ghee + some cherry tomatoes.

Feeling a little "kill all things" this morning, and wondering if maybe I'm not eating quite enough: I've had a minor headache the last two nights, and my HR recovery was slower than normal this morning...maybe a little paleo mayo is in order after all? That + more protein, and the sweet potato tonight for sure.

I will go and drink/eat bucket of ice-cream.

lol. 

They have a place in my building: frozen yogurt (fat free!) with candy toppings buffet pay by the pound and half my co-workers were there yesterday afternoon buying giant bucket-sized stuff. They call it "yogurt happy hour". I probably could use the calories, but it just doesn't seem like food to me.

Fat free AND sugar free options too muahahaha.

Now I wonder if a sweet potato "ice-cream" will taste good. I'll get on this mission after wh30.

I feel like I have a recipe for that in one of my ice-cream cookbooks. Yes I have more than one.  :ph34r:

Mary when you buy macadamia nut oil is it expeller pressed or something else? I admit to still being a bit confused on that. I know olive oil we want cold pressed but what about other stuff? They have a pack of macadamia, walnut, and pistachio oil at Trader Joes and I was thinking about getting it and trying it with my mayo or for salad dressing but wasn't sure if expeller pressed is what I want. 

Bethany- I think either cold pressed or expeller pressed is fine, either one tells you the oil isn't chemically extracted, BUT, I think cold pressed is better, because this is an oil that shouldn't be subjected to high heat, and you can't know how hot it got during expeller pressing. I think that's it. Mine says "cold pressed extra virgin macadamia nut oil" and it tastes good to me in mayo.

Day 22: Jan 22

sleep: natural calm, about 10 sprays magnesium oil, none of the lotion, good sleep, woke up around 4:45 with a headache.

wo: Hot Vinyasa Yoga

meal #2: turkey breast; red and yellow bell pepper strips, steamed broccoli, HB egg, coffee (black) + a piece of gourmet grassfed jerky + half a sweet potato + a banana. 

meal #3: lamb/lamb liver meatballs, leeks and red cabbage, cooked in ghee with a little fish sauce and ume plum vinegar. cherry tomatoes. avocado. hopefully still good after sitting in the work fridge overnight.

meal #4: kombucha (still the pomegranite ginger), sparkling water. grassfed beef braised in asian spices with pearl onions, mushrooms, carrot, mashed cauliflower. not my favorite. too salty?. froze the last portion of this. topped this with macadamia nut oil mayo.

Last massage of this sequence last night, just as I'm starting to get comfortable with this guy. oh well. He said with no real issues of pain or mobility it was pretty much up to me if and when I come back, that he didn't find anything that he felt needed major adjustments, etc. I'll be curious to see what Max recommends. Oh, and I mentioned my "better sleep project", and he offered me a free session in the infrared sauna to see if that helps. hmm, maybe I can fit that in sometime before this whole30 is over.

So....remember yesterday when I said I wasn't eating enough? yeah. woke up this morning with a headache, had my usual egg and espresso. Went to yoga where by the end of the third sequence, I had to sit in child's pose from light-headedness. silly. headache persists. Luckily I threw some sweet potato in with my usual breakfast and I had one more piece of emergency jerky in my desk (and hopefully they kick in soon) but seriously! I know better than this. I need to fuel my activities a bit better. 

AND prep: Hardboiled some eggs, steamed broccoli, cut up bell peppers, roasted and eggplant, sauteed onion, grass-fed ground beef and mushrooms together with garam masala, garlic, cumin.

Bethany- I think either cold pressed or expeller pressed is fine, either one tells you the oil isn't chemically extracted, BUT, I think cold pressed is better, because this is an oil that shouldn't be subjected to high heat, and you can't know how hot it got during expeller pressing. I think that's it. Mine says "cold pressed extra virgin macadamia nut oil" and it tastes good to me in mayo.

Do you do anything different with your mayo recipe with the nut oils? I usually do 1 egg yolk, squirt of mustard, 1 tbs lemon juice, 1 tbs water, and 1 cup light olive oil. I might go back and get the TJs oils just to see if I like them. Certainly can't be worse than the light olive oil I've been using. If I like the taste I might splurge on the better stuff.

I started with this recipe: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3440774534/paleo-mayonnaise

but looking at it now, I see that I've modified it a little: I use one whole egg, and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, usually (no lemon juice or white vinegar), 1/4 t sea salt, 1/4t mustard, and I don't measure the oil, just keep dripping it in until I get the consistency I want.

Thanks. Maybe I'll try her ingredients with my method and see if it turns out. I don't have patience for room temperature/dripping/whisking. I've had great success with my immersion blender. Maybe my first go will be with what I've been doing just changing the oil.

oh no, I don't drip and wisk either! I guess I don't follow nom nom's recipe at all, actually? I pour the oil into the tiny hole on the top of the food processor, which turns it into a drippy stream. I would think either recipe+immersion blender technique would be fine.

oh no, I don't drip and wisk either! I guess I don't follow nom nom's recipe at all, actually? I pour the oil into the tiny hole on the top of the food processor, which turns it into a drippy stream. I would think either recipe+immersion blender technique would be fine.

Cool! I'll stop hijacking your log now. Except to say I'm getting sick of the "exceeded your quota of positive votes" error message. 

Cool! I'll stop hijacking your log now. Except to say I'm getting sick of the "exceeded your quota of positive votes" error message. 

no worries! i'm happy to be a part of "Bethany's Mayo Project" and even happier to get your positive votes, whenever quota allows  :P .

Day 23: Jan 23

sleep: natural calm, about 10 sprays magnesium oil, good sleep: went to bed 45minutes early, but didn't wake up until sleep tracker went off at 4:45. feeling rested this morning, and no headache, which is amazing after having one ALL DAY LONG yesterday. I just kept drinking more and more water, and slathered some mayo on my dinner  :ph34r: one of those surely helped.

wo: Strength Circuit (was considering letting myself sleep in, but I'm raring to go) + Recovery (walking, sauna, hot tub)

meal #2: turkey breast; red and yellow bell pepper strips, steamed broccoli, HB egg, coffee (black) 

meal #3: strange mix of grassfed ground beef, onion, mushrooms, roasted eggplant and sweet potato cubes, power greens, garlic, cumin, garam masala. I might get to eat this. (standing lunch with coworker today, but I think he may cancel. if we go out I'll come back and edit he cancelled. just as well)

meal #4: pork bratwurst (compliant) and other things. roasted broccoli, red bell pepper and sweet potato. cherry tomatoes. mayo.

oooh, and haircut scheduled for Friday after work. what should I do?

AND, also: parents finished 21DSD yesterday. Mom is really positive about it (haven't talked to Dad), although she is still all about diet/weight loss as her metric. Having dinner with them Sunday so I will have to drive the healthy/nourishing point home. Meanwhile, they are starting "Squeeky Clean Paleo" following the menu in Practical Paleo (I think Diane suggests that prior to trying any of the specific health condition plans). Mixed feelings. Doing these plans and feeling good about it is GOOD, and I am sure they are feeling better, especially Dad since this way of eating is SO MUCH BETTER for his blood sugar. "Dieting on purpose, healthy by accident?" I guess it could be worse.

I started my Paleo journey with the Squeaky Clean Paleo plan in Practical Paleo. And yes she does suggest that before fine tuning though if you flip through them most of them are pretty similar. I think having them follow some of these meal plans is a good way to get them to a point where they might try a proper W30. Another one you might consider sending them when they finish squeaky clean is Primal Palette's 30 day guide. From what I've read I think it is more strict than PP but still less so than W30. It sounds like baby steps is best for them and yes this is so much better for your dad's blood sugar even if they are still in diet mentality. 

I'm curious to see what having my folks here for a week (with me being in control of the kitchen) is going to be like. When my brother came I was sure that I freaked him out with my food (I had just finished my W30) but my mom told me when she expressed she had no idea how to cook for me to him he said "just let her cook for you...its delicious!" Mind officially blown. 

Sounds like you found a really good combo for your sleep! I am going to try and make those chill pill gelatin things tonight while I have room in my fridge to let them cool (picking up CSA tomorrow). Magnesium oil I think I will leave as a Saturday project.

Magnesium oil I think I will leave as a Saturday project.

I must confess I just bought pre-made spray. $13 well worth it for the moment, but if it keeps working for me, I may order supplies and start making my own.

and of course your cooking is delicious! Dinner at Bethany's house. :D yum.

Day 24: Jan 24

sleep: natural calm, can't remember if I sprayed with the spray. maybe not? slept pretty well anyway.

wo: Recovery: Corrective Exercise + Balance/Mobility.

meal #2: the last packet of roast chicken from the freezer (not my favorite breakfast); red and yellow bell pepper strips, steamed broccoli, HB egg, coffee (black) 

meal #3: strange mix of grassfed ground beef, onion, mushrooms, roasted eggplant, power greens, garlic, cumin, garam masala. again. ran out of sweet potato, added cherry tomatoes.

meal #4: not a clue. either whole foods bar or a pulled pork place (although I think most of their sides have sugar--can I seriously just order pulled pork and guac ala carte? possibly) before my haircut. -noticed I had one more serving of braised red cabbage in the fridge, so I'll have that + some bratwurst at the office before I go. ha. stood around instead at impromptu office party drinking ice water and eating some raw almonds until I had to go. ate bratwurst, sauteed in coconut oil with power greens, cherry tomatoes, avocado and mayo after the haircut.

Haircut yeayea. Do you know what you are doing? I saw your question in your previous post, but all we know is that 1) you wear piggy tails at the gym 2) you have a picture from the reception where your hair look stunning. Not a lot to base advice on :D 

I want meal 3. This is like my dream meal most of the time. 

So great to read about your parents updates. Love love love that they are getting more and more involved. 

Haircut yeayea. Do you know what you are doing? I saw your question in your previous post, but all we know is that 1) you wear piggy tails at the gym 2) you have a picture from the reception where your hair look stunning. Not a lot to base advice on :D

Haha good point. Hair is currently pretty long (hits my bra strap in back) with long layers. crazy thick. There are some pieces in front around cheek-bone length (used to be bangs but not really at this point). Naturally Wavy, blondish/reddish like the picture. -kind of tempted to go a lot shorter--like somewhere between chin and shoulder length?--but don't want to look like a mushroom head. That's my dilemma.

Day 25: Jan 25

sleep: no natural calm, but I did spray with the spray. didn't bother to track because it seems to not work every time I try it without the alarm anyway. Interesting: coworker was quoting a study yesterday that says it is more important/beneficial to think you slept well, then to actually sleep well. maybe sleep tracker should offer some placebo "good sleep" graphs for this kind of trickery.

meal#1:  strange mix from the past few days, with two eggs poached inside, avocado, cherry tomatoes, mayo, espresso

wo: agility cardio/tumbling/sprints. gym was filled. FILLED with annoying people.

meal #2: same eggplant/beef/mushrooms stuff with lots of greens, and egg and some cherry tomatoes

meal #3: TBD, I think roasted chicken thigh, zuchinni, carrot, mushroom with green curry/coconut milk/fish sauce?

prep: portioned and packaged roast beef and roast turkey for breakfasts (these go in the freezer and I just defrost one overnight each night), bottled pineapple/coconut water kombucha, made sweet tea for another batch, roasted a bunch of sweet potatoes.

perpetually low on food. I'm even out of cat food at the moment (poor kitty accepted tuna water instead of breakfast this morning). Agenda for the day includes: laundry, kitchen cleaning, workout, groceries, piano, then an afternoon volunteering at the nursery. Hair ended up not being much shorter. My stylist does a really good job but he doesn't even really ask me what I want or listen particularly  :wacko: I let him realize his vision this time, but next time I may stick up for myself a little more. This kind of over the top pretty hair may work well for awards receptions, but...I dunno. I should wait and see how the cut holds up to me washing and "styling" it normally.

This kind of over the top pretty hair may work well for awards receptions, but...I dunno. I should wait and see how the cut holds up to me washing and "styling" it normally.

This made me laugh a little because my hair never looks as good as the day my friend cuts and styles it. I can never replicate even her simplest styles. I rarely even bother to blow my hair dry. *sigh* 

Day 26: Jan 26

You guys are bossy!  :D

sleep: natural calm, epsom salt/essential oils bath, no spray. managed to sleep "in" until 5:30. 

meal#1:  applegate hotdogs in ghee with sweet potatoes and power greens. two eggs poached inside, cherry tomatoes, espresso, more espresso and decaf espresso.

wo: hot vinyasa yoga

meal #2: maybe something small or nothing. deli-style tuna salad: wild planet tuna, celery, red onion, bubbies pickle, capers, mayo. family dinner is at 3:30 pm  :blink:

meal #3: TBD, either olive garden or red lobster, so, a plain protein and some steamed veggies? yes, probably.

prep: switched over the new batch of kombucha for second ferment: blueberry. hard boiled some eggs, steamed broccoli, cut up bell peppers. need to cook something out of ground lamb (co-op was out of liver  :( ), not sure what. steamed a new batch of veggies (mushrooms, zuchinni, red and yellow bell pepper) to pack with the last of the chicken thigh and green curry sauce for lunch tomorrow.

Day 27: Jan 27

sleep: no natural calm, but I did spray with magnesium oil. horrible sleep or non-sleep as the case may be. boo.

wo: Strength Circuit

meal #2: roast beef; red and yellow bell pepper strips, steamed broccoli, HB egg, coffee (black) 

meal #3: roast chicken thigh, mushrooms, red and yellow bell peppers, zuchinni, cilantro w/green curry/coconut milk/fish sauce

meal #4: TBD, something with ground lamb. yes. ground lamb, onion, sweet potato, power greens cooked in coconut oil. mayo. cherry tomatoes. oh and the last of the blackberry/pomegranite kombucha w/sparkling water. 

The meal with my parents was pretty good. Sister-in-law greeted me with "you look so skinny!" once again (she thinks this is a compliment, and seemed annoyed when I said I was the same, just wearing a coat that fits). Parents seemed in good spirits and were raving about the menus/recipes in 21DSD and Practical Paleo. They think I've tipped them off to a great "diet" that magically tastes good and is satisfying, but it is still a diet as far as they are concerned. Dad plans to stay "on it" until he is out of the obesity category of BMI and then "go off it". Since that should take a good long while, there is still a chance that they learn how good they feel eating this way and more of it sticks with them afterwards, right? It seems likely that mom will keep cooking recipes out of these books, at least.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering how these conversations effect my now 14 yr old niece and 12 yr old nephew...I guess I can't shelter them from it, considering their mom is a lapsed processed-food calorie counter (we talked a bit about the 7lbs she's gained from stress and lack of sleep, and how she wants to go back to counting). I asked for advice on my next athletic goals and talked with the 14 yr old about track and lacross a little bit (she does sprint relay and long jump. awesome!), so there is some balance. 

For forum peeps: gluten-free menu at olive garden made it easy to order (esp. for mom and dad), although steak and salmon have soy (chicken was ok), and the asparagus has dairy (this can be left off), so vigilance is still required. Food wasn't horrible.  :)

Archived