crunchies?

robotarmy

Hey all,

So I'm in my 4th Whole30 and quite enjoying it, but am interested in a greater variety of texture in my foods. I'm making pretty much everything I eat (with the exception of nuts and the occasional sashimi), and while I love cooking, it's all, well, a cooked texture. No, it's not a matter of overcooking or undercooking, everything is just right, but I'm looking for some textural variety--some crunch here and there.

When I find prosciutto that fits W30, I'll crisp it in a pan, and that's nice. But what else is there? Does anyone crisp veggies somehow? No, I'm not looking for chips or a SWYPO substitute for them. I guess I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for. This isn't, like, a food craving, just seeking variety.

Does any of this make sense? Or is it just the mad ramblings of a lost soul? Any ideas or inspiration welcome!

I haven't tried this myself, but have seen a friend do this many times.  She uses finely shredded (not chopped) raw green cabbage as the foundation for marinara sauce, shrimp scampi, chili, etc...anything you might want to put on rice or pasta.  She says she does this for the crunch factor.

rhonda

In the non-veggie crispy department - many high fat items can become crispy, just keep in mind some nutrition can be reduced if foods are overcooked.

Crispy pork belly (twice cooked)

Crispy crunchy pork rinds / crackling

Crispy chicken skin - ask your local chicken supplier if they can give you skin, some places throw it away!

Bacon!

Chicken cooked in chicken fat

Crispy skin salmon

Trout cooked inside crispy chicken skin

Nuts and fruits can be crispy/crunchy too, I am a huge fan of the very specific crunch of a granny smith apple, it's a different kind of crisp to some apple varieties :) Pad Thai needs a good nutty crunch, crush whatever your favourite is and sprinkle on top :) Sometimes you really only need a garnish-sized crunchy to get a good texture balance.

Stir fry veggies provide lots of crisp/crunch texture, I like sugar snap peas, snow peas, capsicum (peppers), onions, carrots done this way. Not a fan of cauliflower this way, I like it soft :)

Coconut flour and almond flours can also add a bit of crisp on the outside of meats, like a "crumb". I really love prawns (shrimp) "breaded" in shredded coconut. It's messy to make, but delicious and nut free :) You could probably do this with chicken or fish too, it is very high on the crunch-o-meter :D

Jicama is a great "crisp" option. I peel then cut it into "french fry" like pieces. Dip it in salsa, guac or just eat plain!

Also, celery with compliant almond or macadamia butter is a yummy option.

Compliant fried plantain chips are crispy and delicious. Same with homemade Taro chips. I think Taro is Whole30 compliant...isn't it? 

Crispy bacon wrapped dates are beyond delicious :) 

Radishes cut into thin rounds are super crispy! Try daikon radishes as well. LOVE those! You can have those shredded into long, spaghetti-like strings (they serve them under sashimi in some sushi joints) and it's a great sub for pasta.

:) 

Hey all! Thank you so much for all the suggestions!! I meant to come back and check in here, but got sick and wasn't eating much of anything for a couple of days.

RE: bacon. If only I could find compliant bacon, that would be so great. But I'm not shelling out the money to order it online. So bacon must wait until I finish.

Coconut flour and almond flours can also add a bit of crisp on the outside of meats, like a "crumb". I really love prawns (shrimp) "breaded" in shredded coconut. It's messy to make, but delicious and nut free :) You could probably do this with chicken or fish too, it is very high on the crunch-o-meter :D

Shredded dried coconut? 

• 2 weeks later...

RE: bacon. If only I could find compliant bacon, that would be so great. But I'm not shelling out the money to order it online. So bacon must wait until I finish.

I'm almost out of bacon and about to go to Whole Foods to get more.  The guys behind the meat counter take pastured pork belly and smoke it for me without sugar or soy or anything else we can't have.  Usually ready in a few hours.  Maybe you have a butcher who will do the same.

We'll be smoking our own soon from the pig we are buying, but we have to invest in the smoker first.

If you haven't tried the compliant roasted seaweed snacks from Sea Snax, YOU NEED TO. Crispy salty heaven.

There is also a recipe for crispy nori chips in the Well Fed cookbook.

Eat some seaweed! Pretend you're a mermaid! Feel awesome!

Archived