Have the rules on protein powder changed?

sannakui

Hi guys,

I'm planning to start the Whole30 for a second time. I was reading the rules again and having a look at the new links and my question is: have the rules on protein powder changed? I'm referring to "approved" protein powders like egg white in protein bars. Not whey, and not drinking a protein shake. I don't remember seeing allowed protein bars the last time I did a whole30, but it also might be that I just missed it.

The rules state:

"However, protein powder from approved ingredients like crickets (in Chapul bars) or 100% egg white are allowed on the Whole30, provided they contain no sweeteners. As always, though, liquid food is still not encouraged."

A bar called RxBar is being recommended in the links.

So can I make my own protein bars from egg white protein powder and some nut butter, seeds and dried cranberries for example? Maybe have it with some carrot sticks as a snack when hungry and not at home?

Second question, would hemp protein be allowed used the same way?

Thanks!

I don't think the rules have been changed, but maybe clarified. The bit you quote is true.

"However, protein powder from approved ingredients like crickets (in Chapul bars) or 100% egg white are allowed on the Whole30, provided they contain no sweeteners. As always, though, liquid food is still not encouraged."

So yes, you are free to use plain 100% egg white protein in foods you make at home. don't go crazy on the smoothies or anything, but in a recipe it's fine. The type of bar you describe would work as well as an RxBar or a Lara bar for "emergency food." It would not be a good meal replacement or everyday item.

My gut is that Hemp protein powder doesn't make the cut, because it doesn't include enough protein and it does include a lot of omega-3, but I can't find backup on that right now. I'll get official answers and get back to you. 

• Moderators

All protein powder is still on Tom Denham's "Oh hell no!" list, but the Hartwigs have clarified that they do not rule out cricket powder and egg white powder. The Hartwigs are who matter when it comes to the Whole30, so you can make your own protein bars. :)

Great if you can still get the official answer on hemp protein. 

Still nothing "official" but reading a bit more my take is this: by a hair on a technicality. I'm not sure we could say no 100% hemp protein when we do let people have hemp hearts, but here's the thing: hemp protein does not provide enough protein to even be a credible protein powder, and hemp is one of those "eat as little as possible and only if you like it" foods. If you want to sprinkle hemp protein powder on a salad, be my guest, but eating as much of it as you would need to use it as a meaningful protein source? NO.

Please don't do your whole30 by just squeaking by on a technicality. Dive into the deep end, friend. Eat food, not powders, and learn a new way instead of doing what you have always done before.

I bought the RX bars, having only learned about them through the Whole9 site as approved and had my first one this weekend. I am not doing a whole30, but eat whole30 most of the time. Winter months I work as a weekend ski instructor and at times need something/snack in pocket (easy to eat on a chair lift) to get me through. I take hard boiled eggs/nuts, but was looking to break the monotony.  I got the coconut/cacao bars.

I would and not recommend them. They are like a meal, kept me satiated. Soo incredibly good, you can immediately tell they are fresh and  real food. Too good. Distinguished from the Larabars or Kits bars in that they do have the egg white protein (the other bars don't have that fresh texture either), probably why I was completely satisfied on a blood sugar level. IMHO, RX bars are a slippery slope and hinge on food w/o breaks. They are better than any store bought bar I have ever purchased and homemade bars I have experimented with.  On the flipside, as an emergency food kept in the car or something, would choose that over Larabars (which I don't care for anyhow).

I have a natural whey protein powder from Pulsin'. 

It says it is, and I quote: 90% protein, vegetarian, gluten free, no added sugars or sweeteners, non GM, low fat made using hormone free milk from grass Fed cows. British & outdoor reared that is.

It has been made using cross-flow precipitation and micro filtration techniques at 25degrees. It is free from carbohydrate filters, artificial flavours..

I can't find anything wrong with this. Would it be ok post work out? 

Cheers 

I have a natural whey protein powder from Pulsin'. 

I can't find anything wrong with this. Would it be ok post work out? 

Sorry, Elsa, whey is dairy, so it is not allowed*, not at all, not even by a hair, during the whole30.

PS: post workout we recommend eating real food, focus on protein and carb and skip the fat on this one. you want the protein absorbed as quickly as possible. pre-cooked chicken breast and sweet potatoes are a typical choice.

*(unless you are vegetarian, that is. vegetarians need to get protein from somewhere, so their "approved" list is very different.)

Archived