Coffee anyone?

jlsmit

Hey everyone. This is my first post on the forums. I'm on Day 8 of my first Whole30. I've felt really hungry all day but haven't craved or had anything that's not W30 compliant. I wanted some coffee this afternoon (I know that's discouraged after noon but felt like it would be okay since it was half reg/half caf and it's never seemed to effect me much). Turns out, it didn't taste so good. I've had a few sips of it and asked myself why I'm drinking it if 1.) it doesn't taste like I hoped it would and 2.) I don't need it.

Are these okay questions to ask myself? I'm trying to figure out how to have a healthy relationship with food. I don't want to deprive myself of things that I can have and enjoy during or after Whole30, but at the same time I don't want to have things I don't even need/want.

I'm hoping to learn a lot more about my habits by the end of this thing.

Thanks in advance!

These are perfect questions to ask yourself!  :) Part of the Whole30 is changing your relationship with food. As such, the process typically involves a lot of reflections and awareness about the choices we make and why.

Press on!

I'm on day 10 and love my coffee, albeit soya latte's. The no sugar thing is really hard for me so now I opt for an espresso when out then it's just one mouthful! Just heated up some coconut milk and made an instant 'latte' and tasted pretty good, best one at home yet! Tea is a different matter though, really miss that with soya milk & half a tspn sugar!(been dairy free for over 20years)

I am on Day 18, and i have been a "latte"-aholic for the last 5 years, usually with whole milk and Splenda.   My nutritionalist has told me to get off the sweetners for the last few years, and I couldn't do it; mostly out of mental fear.   I probably averaged 6 to 10 packets a day.

Since starting the Whole 30, I have tried almond milk, coconut milk, a mix of other compliant ideas and I couldn't find satisfaction, until...

I am now drinking my coffee black.   Wow, I never even knew the taste of coffee before.    I think because my "sugar" taste has disappeared, quality coffee really tastes pretty good (a little bitter but interesting).   It is like a wine, complex of flavor, with incredible subtlety between different types.   Bad coffee is awful (I used to hide the taste with the lactose & sweetner); and I can know really distinguish good coffee.

My recommendation is give black coffee a try (after getting over the sugar hump) and teach your tastes to appreciate its complexity.

I've found my tastes have changed quite dramatically in the last three weeks. Things like veggies, and even scrambled eggs, have started tasting really sweet. The coffee I used to drink now tastes really bitter - think I may need a lighter roast than I used to. I generally drink my coffee black and unsweetened,so I'm pretty sensitive to the quality of it, but it definitely tastes different now!

• 1 month later...

I have been on whole30 11 days I miss my coffee in the afternoon what can I drink after noon, I read no coffee,  but can I do any unsweetened tea or should it be decaf I drink enough water I just want some else now and then I guess I ask what is whole30 approved for beverages thanks Lucy p.s. other wise I have enjoyed "real"  food!

I have been on whole30 11 days I miss my coffee in the afternoon what can I drink after noon, I read no coffee,  but can I do any unsweetened tea or should it be decaf I drink enough water I just want some else now and then I guess I ask what is whole30 approved for beverages thanks Lucy p.s. other wise I have enjoyed "real"  food!

Hi Lucy- You can have coffee at any time of day and still be whole30 compliant. We recommend cutting out caffeine in the afternoon because it can interfere with sleep, but it is a recommendation, not a rule. If you want to try cutting caffeine after noon, herbal tea is a great option, or decaf coffee or tea, just check labels. Sometimes tea has soy lecithin or stevia or other off-plan ingredients-those varieties are out during the whole30.

There are lots of lovely herbal teas (read your labels!), I have learned to love lemongrass & ginger tea, white tea, peppermint tea.

I love bulletproof coffee made with coconut oil, but one cup in the morning is plenty, and I usually just skip it now unless I'm looking to add extra fat :)

I found I don't want much coffee when it doesn't come with dairy in it lol

• 7 months later...

Archived