Canned tuna

paleoamy

Sorry if this has been answered but I've been looking through the forums and can't find a direct answer.

Canned tuna ingredients are: albacore tuna, water, sodium acid pyrophosphate.

I know Melissa says "As long as the food doesn't contain MSG, carrageenan, or sulfites, the additives are fine. It's always best to find food without additives entirely, of course, but none of these are of any concern to me health-wise.

Melissa" in the whole 30 official can I have.

I can't seem to find out if the sodium acid pyrophosphate is a sulphite or an "okay" additive?

Thanks for your help!

• Moderators

It is an okay additive. Here is an article you might be interested in reading: http://www.livestrong.com/article/549169-is-there-any-danger-in-using-sodium-acid-pyrophosphate-in-food-mixes/

I find tuna with olive oil and salt at regular grocery stores. I have not seen this ingredient before. 

Wild Planet is really good-- it has a little natural tuna oil in it which I much prefer to other added oils. As far as the routine grocery store tuna, virtually every one has pyrophosphate in it. I prefer to avoid that. The Starkist and Bumblebee low sodium albacore doesn't have it (or the soy that is in most tuna, also)--

just tuna, salt and water.

If you have any italian grocers near you, you may find clean "white meat tuna" (usually albacore), sometimes it even comes in glass.

If you have trouble finding ones without bad oils, look for ones in brine or springwater, they have no oil (but can have other nasties).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived