Nyquil and throat lozenges substitute for a cold?

I have just finished day 26 of Whole 30.  Unfortunately, I have a cold.  I typically turn to Nyquill to help with the symptoms and to get good sleep.  However, it is loaded with sugar and alcohol which are not W30 compliant.  I typically use throat drops to help with the scratchy throat and coughing. They also have a lot of sugar.

Anyone have suggestions to on what to use instead?  I don't want to go off W30 this close to the end.

Thanks.

I'm also on day 26 and also have a cold. I've been gargling hot salt water (just like my mom used to have us do as kids) drinking hot tea and hot broth. And using a neti pot. I haven't found any substitutes for nyquil but those seem to help.

Have you tried the Nyquil LiquiCaps?  Same active ingredients but without the alcohol and sugar.  It does have artificial dyes, though.

Nyquil LiquiCaps

Slippery Elm Drops are fantastic for dry, scratchy throats, and they make a sugar-free variety.  You should be able to find these in any basic health food store.  They are a staple among professional singers and speakers, but admittedly do not taste great. But they work!   NON-COMPLIANT - Contains sorbitol

Thayers Slippery Elm Drops - Sugar Free

Edited to remove the Slippery Elm Drops recommendation as they are not compliant.

Slippery Elm Drops are fantastic for dry, scratchy throats, and they make a sugar-free variety.  You should be able to find these in any basic health food store.  They are a staple among professional singers and speakers, but admittedly do not taste great. But they work!

Thayers Slippery Elm Drops - Sugar Free

The ingredients list sorbitol, which is a sneaky sugar.  Wonder if a tea made from the herb would work as well.

The ingredients list sorbitol, which is a sneaky sugar.  Wonder if a tea made from the herb would work as well.

You are correct, but notes that it comes from "cherries, berries, pears and plums". (Still non-compliant, I suppose.)

And yes, slippery elm tea is wonderful for a sore throat.

You are correct, but notes that it comes from "cherries, berries, pears and plums". (Still non-compliant, I suppose.)

And yes, slippery elm tea is wonderful for a sore throat.

Eating the sugar extracted from a fruit is not the same as eating fruit. It's eating sugar...so yes still non-compliant.

I am on day 28 and I have a vicious cold, nose won't stop running and throat is sore I can't sleep at night. I'm not giving in with 2 days left. I haven't taken any supplements in 28 days and don't even want to take aspirin. Can someone let me know if these are compliant before my head explodes:

1. RiteAid nasal relief sinus wash - saline solution to flush out my nose

2. Mucinex Day Time and Night Time caplets

Just looks like a bunch of drugs and chemicals to me, no calories - can I ingest these for the last two days?

The saline wash will be really helpful. Another option is a neti pot...similar idea.

If there are no offplan ingredients in the Mucinex then feel free to take it.

I usually drink lots of hot water with raw apple cider vinegar when I feel like that.

Follow this advice and you will get better without having to turn to over the counter stuff:

- get a lot of rest - stay home from work, or work from home if possible.  Take a nap or 2.  And for goodness sake get plenty of sleep at night.  Rest and a lot of sleep is the only sure way to get yourself 100% better, this is when your body can properly heal itself.  If you shortchange your rest and sleep, you'll never get better.

- buy fresh ginger, slice up a handful or preferably 2 handfuls, and pour hot water over it and drink it all day.  You can re-use the ginger for at least 4 or 5 refills, just use a spoon to crush it up in the mug after the 2nd refill to release some more of it's inner juices.  YOu can also squeeze some lemon into it and add cayenne pepper to help clear your sinuses.  

Once you are better, continue drinking the ginger and hot water all winter and spring to help boost your immune system and to keep you from getting sick again.  And obviously keep trying to get as much rest as possible.  

I read somewhere on this forum that Whole30 does not prohibit medicine, only supplements.  I believe it was from the moderator, Tom. 

As far as I know, this applies to prescribed medication, although best practice always involves trying not to get off-plan ingredients in anything.  

I have had the best luck buying the individual components (only the cough suppressant, for example) as opposed to the combo products.

Also, I think I saw some sort of sugar on the above linked NyQuil LiquiCaps.

Archived