Red meat

wiladams

My wife would like to start the whole 30 plan, she does not eat red meat, lamb or pork. She will eat chicken, Turkey or fish. This has caused numerous arguments in our house, my family raises all natural beef so it's very frustrating know we are giving up free beef just to go out and buy your average packaged poultry. I grew up eating beef lamb and venison, I'm not too big on vegetables and fruits in the least bit, I feel that if I'm going to have to start eating loads of vegetables and fruit she could at least meet in the middle and eat beef.

My question is is there more benefits to this meal plan by eating a broad range of protein rich meats instead of just chicken fish and eggs?

MORE benefits? I guess the benefits would extend as far as those gained by anyone who eats beef vs. doesn't eat beef. Maybe you could (politely) request that she do half beef half poultry in ground meat mixtures and perhaps that she try something that might be easier for her to eat (i.e. a casserole or frittata with beef in it vs. a steak). 

For you to do your best Whole30, you will need to eat more veggies.  This isn't a zero-sum game where you get healthy if you don't eat veggies and your wife doesn't eat red meat.  One of you can eat more variety (you) and one of you can get through it by removing the less healthy foods (her).  You will both benefit.  It may be easier on you because of the variety.

Price will become a factor, so that meat your family raises will come in handy, even if only one of you is eating it.

There is a Conscientious Omnivore series here http://whole9life.com/category/conscientious-omnivore/%C2'>

(As a side note, I think I read that the Omega 3:6 ratio is usually a little towards the side of inflammation in chicken.  I can't support that today, but I have been eating less chicken and more grassfed/pastured stuff since.  Anyone have any related info?)

I think the real question is WHY she doesn't eat beef, lamb or pork?  If it's a philosophy/religious/morality thing then there probably isn't much you can do about it.

If it's because she doesn't feel they are as healthy - then do your research and help her see that is not the case.

If it's a taste thing, then you may have to slowly introduce things in moderation (like ground beef mixed with ground chicken as mentioned above).  I don't like pork chops, so I thought I didn't like pork.  Turns out, it's just the chops I don't like.  I love pork roast, ground pork and pork tenderloin...so maybe it is just about experimentation with different cuts or prep styles.

And from a 'fair is fair' perspective, you are right.  If you are willing to eat more veggies, it would be only fair for her to eat more meat!  But we all know how fair life is, right? ;)

The whole30 doesn't put any guidelines or requirements on what types of animal protein you eat (you can do the plan successfully with just poultry and fish), but from a nutrient density/health perspective, meat from ruminants like beef and lamb are strongly encouraged. I'm a little confused as to the problem, however. If you currently eat red meat and she does not, this situation does not need to change for the duration of your whole30. You do need to add vegetables, though. That one is non-negotiable.  ;)

Thank you everyone for the different perspectives on this. Currently we do not cook any red meat she is willing to cook it but it just turns into too big of hassle to cook two different meats for dinner. Maybe I will have a talk with her and see how she feels about slowly introducing it into our meals. Once again thank you for the help everybody!

Archived