Sugar = ANXIETY

My husband and I finished our second Whole30 a few weeks ago. We skipped the reintro phase this time since we did it the first time around and I pretty much knew that bothered me (i.e. gluten).

We've off-roaded a bit the last few weeks and I have been feeling like complete shit. 

I know that gluten (and grains in excess) will flare up my IBS like no other, but this time around sugar is trying to ruin me!

I have directly linked that sugar amplifies my anxiety like no other. I have been miserable the last week trying to deal with my anxiety and took me a few days to realize that all those chocolate treats and sugar were the culprit.

I was bad yesterday and had a doughnut and boy am I paying for it. It is NOT WORTH IT to feel like this.

I am trying to remember how I feel right now so it will help me make better choices when presented with sweet treats.

That being said, I am doing a Whole7 to hopefully reset things and have made some strict rules for myself when it comes to sugar.

Does anyone notice a major link with sugar and their anxiety?

Danielle

Sugar makes me more emotional in general...it's a pretty dramatic shift. Moody, anxious, angry or crying at the drop of a hat. Even understanding this, it's still so hard to stay away from because I LOVE it so much. All last year I was trying to allow treats every month or so, but it just wasn't working. I've been sugar free since Jan 1...the longest I've made it yet. I don't *truly* have cravings anymore, but I still wistfully think about what treats I wish I could have. You're right though, it's totally not worth it.

Yes.  I have to plan when I'm going to eat it so that it's timed when I have nothing important to deal with for about 48 hours afterward.  The high I get for the first thirty minutes is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.  But then the crash is just awful.  And with me, anxious usually also means angry.  So I'm just really fun to be around.

• 2 weeks later...

For me sugar is "crack", can't have it except for a little honey as a sweetner in my paleonola and ketchup recipe.  Anything else is such a gateway for me.  Sugar for sugar sake such as a pastry or candy or ice cream is just not an option for me.  

wow I am so glad to know that I'm not the only one. I just couldn't believe it the first time when I introduced some after about a week post-whole30.  I tried it again a few weeks later and same reaction!! Melancholy, shut in, crying...it seems SO WEIRD! Hopefully this second experience is my last.

My husband and I finished our second Whole30 a few weeks ago. We skipped the reintro phase this time since we did it the first time around and I pretty much knew that bothered me (i.e. gluten).

We've off-roaded a bit the last few weeks and I have been feeling like complete shit. 

I know that gluten (and grains in excess) will flare up my IBS like no other, but this time around sugar is trying to ruin me!

I have directly linked that sugar amplifies my anxiety like no other. I have been miserable the last week trying to deal with my anxiety and took me a few days to realize that all those chocolate treats and sugar were the culprit.

I was bad yesterday and had a doughnut and boy am I paying for it. It is NOT WORTH IT to feel like this.

I am trying to remember how I feel right now so it will help me make better choices when presented with sweet treats.

That being said, I am doing a Whole7 to hopefully reset things and have made some strict rules for myself when it comes to sugar.

Does anyone notice a major link with sugar and their anxiety?

Danielle

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Yup been there done that!!! You are singinging the song of my life soooo...sugar is NOT a part of my food plan...BELieve me I crave it on occasion (PMS) !!!  :(  I have been sugar free for quite some time...my other trigger is red wine...so I no longer drink wine (or any alcohol) it set me up for MAJOR sugar cravings. Sugar and wine make my heart race, anxiety (not panic attack level) but certainly not ZEN!!!  :D

Carry on... :P

Sugar is a known factor for anxiety and not just for blood sugar. There are a number of studies in progress on the brain/gut axis.

After getting so sick from my gluten introduction, I did quite a bit of research on it as the heart palpitations were very scary.

Some doctors are prescribing grain free or wheat free diets, as well as sugar free, to help patients reduce or even eliminate anxiety.

It may not work for everyone, but it's well worth a try.

Archived