Why are we not allowed Snacks

tj2650

Ok, so I think I have covered the book, and I do not see anywhere in the book that says NO SNACKS are allowed????

Yet, so many of the posts indicate that people are having a problem sticking to the WHole30 because they are not "allowed" snacks.  Can someone please explain this to me.

My doctor told me I need to try to eat every 3 hours and that means I MUST EAT snacks.  Does that mean I cannot do the Whole30 program??

TJ

Re-read page 185 in It Starts With Food.  :) 

Snacks are discouraged, not forbidden.  The idea is to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. Per ISWF, this "gives glucagon time to do its job and mobilize some energy and keeps leptin levels normalized."  Further, eating this way "encourages the optimal hormonal response."

Part of what you learn on a Whole30 is your listen to your body's satiety signals. If you are genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), then the recommendation is to have a mini-meal including a protein and fat. In the meantime, tweak the portion sizes at your meals until you get to the point where they satiate you for 4-5 hours.

If you're not hungry 3 hours after eating a meal, don't eat.

No, that's not what it means. The whole 30 discourages snacks because it often results in the grazing sort of mindset and doesn't allow for optimal hormone regulation. If your doctor has indicated that you must eat every 3 hours then that's what you do just try to follow the meal template as best you can--eating fat/protein/veg at each meal. This Ike still be whole 30 compliant so long as you're eating compliant foods.

Ok, so long as my "snacks" contain meat, fat and veg then I should be ok??

I noticed a lot of people do Monkey's Salad for Breakfast... 

Cashews, Bananas, coconut...

How does this meet the framework??  Are small quantities of nuts considered meats??

TJ

How does this meet the framework??  Are small quantities of nuts considered meats??

TJ

First off, nuts are considered a fat source on a Whole30.  Here's the Whole30 shopping guide with more details of what is a protein, veg and fat.

Here is the Whole30 program and rules

Here is the Whole30 recommended meal template. For optimum results, we recommend that all meals follow this template, although it's not required.

The monkey salad isn't the best choice for breakfast because it's only fat and fruit and doesn't include protein or veggies.

What are your goals for your Whole30?  What are your doctor's reasons for saying you must eat every 3 hours?  I'm concerned those goals may be in conflict.

TJ

Beware that just because someone calls something paleo doesn't make it whole30 or even paleo. Paleo and whole30 are hot topics now so everyone uses these words in their posts to get more exposure. As long as you stick to the meal planning template you should be fine. You might see recipes for paleo bread, paleo muffins, etc but these are not whole30. Remember you are changing everything you know about food. Just trust in the challenge. It is only for 30 days. You can do it.

I used to be someone who 'had' to eat every few hours. I would get light headed and dizzy and cranky as all hell if I didn't. One of the biggest hurdles for me on W30 was eating larger meals and waiting hours for the next meal. But I did it. And you know what? I stopped having those 'Hangry' episodes. Because my blood sugar wasn't going up/down every 2-3 hours. If you read the book, you should have read the part about the 3 hormones, insulin, leptin and cortisol. When you eat, insulin processes the sugar in your blood, that will trigger leptin to tell your brain you are full. If you are eating all the time, you will always have insulin running around and the leptin will not tell your brain  you are fill and you will always be hungry. Having a diet high in carbs will make this worse.

Also, your body needs a few hours between meals to properly digest all of the food and move it throughout your digestive track. Once you start the eating process again, that digestive process stops because new food is entering.

I'm not sure why you need to eat every 3 hours, is it for medication or just to keep your blood sugar from falling?

Who are these people? Be careful of the source of your information. As Tina suggest, paleo and whole30 have become buzzwords and lots of people are "doing" them without really understanding best practices. The whole30 meal template is your friend. If something doesn't fit the template (like monkey salad) then it isn't a recommended breakfast,  regardless of how many people chose it.

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Good luck to you TJ...I think you should have some amazing results on this program if you suffer from GERD.  Try working into a 3 meal one snack day over the course of a week or so.  I was always a 6 time eater, and my blood sugar is so much more stable with just 3.  Sometimes I don't have any snack at all during the day...

If it's for stomach acid, just stick to the template, whether it's a meal or a "snack". You may see people mention a "mini-meal", they mean a snack or less-than-a-meal-more-than-a-snack, but it fits the template. Some people eat many mini-meals for medical reasons, some can't eat a full-size meal.

Is it too much stomach acid, or not enough?

If it's not enough, some people find reducing liquid consumption before/during meals to have a big impact on digestion at the stomach level (not reducing overall liquid consumption), as it stops acids being diluted while trying to digest.

I am finding even when I am nauseous... So long as I stick to the snack template of meat plus fat plus veggie where able, I am doing pretty good!!!

Today I could not eat large meals in AM, so I split my meal and ate every 3 hours until I stabilized and now it has been 8.. so I think I am mastering it.

TJ

Archived