Canned Chicken/Modified Food Starch/MSG

Dylon561

Hi, found modified food starch as an ingredient in my Swanson canned chicken. Found a convo on here talking about this but subsequently did some additional research and found a lot of evidence that modified food starch is an industry tactic to conceal MSG. Does anyone have any insight into the accuracy of this conclusion and whether or not this should be avoided in Whole30? Canned chicken is an incredibly convenient protein source for me, especially for snacks.

Hi Dylon561,

Welcome!  I hope your journey is off to a strong start.   :)

If you can wing it (I suppose the pun is intended) cooking a bunch

of chicken to last for a number of days is another convenient

protein source.  Once it's cooked, it's as easy as reaching for

a can.  

Wishing you the best!!!! 

• Moderators

I don't think modified food starch is the same as MSG, but I do think it is something to avoid during a Whole30. A lot of modified food starch is made from corn, wheat, or potatoes. And if you spend a little time reading about modified food starch, you have to ask yourself what is wrong that a vendor puts it in canned chicken. There is nothing natural about injecting chicken with potato starch before canning it. Yuck.

Canned chicken with fully acceptable ingredients is not common, but I have found it at ordinary grocery stores once or twice. But I agree with ninadude... cook a whole chicken and eat off of it for a week. Here is a recipe I use that can be adapted to cooking a chicken in an ordinary pot: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2011/08/pulled-chicken-with-fresh-tomatoes/

And here are two articles about modified food starch you might want to read...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modified_starch

http://blog.bobsredmill.com/featured-articles/modified-food-starch-demystified/

Tom, thank you for that comprehensive response. My takeaway is to just avoid "junk" wherever and however it shows up and if I'm not sure what some chemically sounding ingredient is there's a good chance it's junk. 

Ninadude, that is an AWESOME suggestion. Much appreciated. Thanks for the encouraging welcome as well. 

I cook a whole chicken in the crockpot every so often, then we eat on it for days. It is so easy...stuff it full of onion and lemon wedges, rub the skin with some olive oil and whatever spices you like, pop it in the crockpot (I put it breast side down to keep the breast juicy), turn it on low 8 hours or all day, and forget about it! After we're done, I toss the bones, skin and some veggies back in the crockpot, fill it with water, cook it all day again and have chicken stock!

FYI, just found that Trader Joe's canned Premium Chunk White Chicken lists chicken and water as the only ingredients (note they have another version packed in broth-says so on the front of the can--READ THOSE LABELS).

Walmart GV Premium canned chicken (there are two GV varieties, be sure to get the Premium)  at my local Walmart Superstore:  ingrdients listed = chicken breast, water, salt. No, it's not organic.  But it's certainly compliant AND is fairly inexpensive @  $1.38/ can. I have some cans stashed at home in my emergency food storage  and at work for when I simply do not have a protein ready to eat for lunch.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived