Jen's 2nd W30

pjena

Hi!  I'm starting my 2nd real W30 today. I did my first W30 last April and have done a few whole somethings, including one W32 interrupted by an ice cream on day 16, in the past year.  I didn't have the fabulous results that some people have, but I did lose 5 lbs and stopped getting cold sores.  I also kicked the snack habit and love not being constantly hungry.  Over the past year, I gained back the 5 lbs and got a few cold sores again, mostly due to vacations and holidays.  I'm going to do this W30 to clean things up, knock out the cold sores and hopefully get rid of the 5 lbs for spring. 

My biggest challenge is remembering not to lick my son's sunbutter knife and resisting the urge to dip things (carrots, apples, bananas, dates, coconut butter chunks :ph34r: ) into almond butter.  I will be limiting the any butters and nuts (which are another FWNB for me) to meal components only.  A chunk of coconut butter stuck in my sweet potato as my fat for the meal is ok.  Dipping things in almond butter because I'm feeling munchy is not ok.

Day 1:

M1 - eggs, kale, sweet potato, coconut butter, strawberries and grapes while packing lunches

M2 - salad/veg, tuna, avocado, clems

M3 - shredded pork roast on a plantain tostada, salad

Other - coffee w/ coconut milk, tea, kombucha

WO - hot yoga

Here we go!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Welcome back, Jen! Smart move with the nut butters. Cutting them except when part of a recipe (which I've done maybe three or four times) has made a big difference to this W30 for me. Best of luck, and enjoy!!

It's funny how as soon as you commit to something like W30, you start to want things you wouldn't eat anyway.  I just let the thoughts move on and don't even let myself consider them. 

Thanks for the encouragement, M and Sara!

Day 2:

M1 - eggs, kale, sw pot, CB, strawberries

M3 - salad, sausage, green beans w/ ghee, 1/2 sw pot w/ CB

WO - n/a

Sara - I agree.  It seems long at first, but goes by super fast. 

Day 3:

M2 - salad/veg, tuna, olives

M3 - salad, shredded pork, plantain tostada, veg

WO - hot yoga

• Moderators

I was just thinking about you and your plaintain tostada habit! I made some last year and they're still in the freezer, untouched. I think they'll be too much like SWYPO for me--and I'm so sensitive to those dang sweet starches (as I was so rudely reminded yesterday with my banana with lunch). Enjoy them for both of us, please! And maybe I'll give them a shot once my W30 is over. . . .

Funny - I remember giving you the recipe way back when.  Can you believe it was almost a year ago?!?!  The tostadas I'm eating this week have been in the freezer forever!  I found them recently and am eating them up as my fat since my shredded meat doesn't have much fat (I trimmed it pretty well) instead of randomly adding olives or something to my meal.  They are good, but I don't seem to have a swypo problem with them.  Those fried plantain tostones, on the other hand, I would have a problem with.  I may be going overboard on the sweet potatoes, though.  I have to watch and see if I turn orange again. LOL

Thanks, Bethany!

M - I think tostadas are the plantain/coconut oil combo that is baked and forms little tortilla like things that I use just to have something to put stuff on.  Tostones are the fry, smash, fry plantain slices.  They are a little more dangerous for me. 

Day 4:

M2 - salad/veg, salmon, avocado, sw pot/CB

M3 - salad/veg, salmon, avocado

WO - hot yoga

• Moderators

Then it's tostadas I have in the freezer. And yes, plain old fried plantains are too crazy delicious. FWOB for sure, and very filling!

Are you brewing your own booch?

The kids played in a dodgeball tournament last night.  It was super fun.  It was so cute how seriously they all took it.  Neither of them won, but they had fun.  After the kids were done, there was an adult tournament.  Man, those guys throw the ball hard!  Yikes!  The HS hockey team ended up beating the teacher team, another HS team and the police team.  The boys had a blast running around the school with their friends, playing/watching dodgeball and eating junk food.  But, it was a late night, so I'm super tired today.  Plus, it snowed slush last night that froze overnight, so I got up extra early to beat the traffic.  YAWN!

Day 5:

M1 - eggs, kale, sw pot, CB

M2 - salad/veg, shrimp, avocado

M3 - salad/veg, tilapia, mayo

post yoga snack - banana w/AB - have to keep this from becoming a habit!

WO - hot yoga

Yes, I realize my food is very boring. :)  The thing is, I really really really love kale and eggs and big salads with some sort of fish and avocado.  I don't mind eating the same thing every single day.  If I get sick of it, I'll make something different, because I really love to cook, too. 

M - Yep, still brewing booch!  I can't believe that's been almost a year, too.  It's so easy once I finally got started.  I just keep it giong.  I should probably switch out my scoby hotel.  Mama's been sitting down there for a long time! 

• Moderators

I was gone for most of last fall so I put my scoby (several of them, actually) in a hotel in the fridge. They're still there, though I'm starting to think about brewing again. Do you think they're still good?

As for food, you know what works for you. No shame in eating the same thing over and over if it satisfies you. Diversity in nutrients at some point is important, but I say keep doing what you're doing if it's working!

I think they're probably still good.  You won't lose anything by trying, right?  Worst case they died and nothing happens.  Best case, you get homemade booch!  I'm hoping to be inspired to experiment with flavors again this summer when the produce is good.  I've just been using frozen berries all winter.  Easy and yummy.

I joked with my husband that if I ever got a tattoo, it would be of kale. LOL  Eggs and kale has replaced oatmeal as my favorite food.  A year ago, I would not have believed that for a minute even though I always liked kale.  I just didn't think anything could replace oatmeal in my heart.  I eat it for breakfast every single day and even have it again for another meal sometimes if we're having "scrounge" for dinner.  BTW - my kids will tell you scrounge is their favorite meal because it means Mom makes whatever easy thing they want. LOL  It's either GF frozen waffles (huge treat for this make everything from scratch family!) or smoked oysters (weird kids I have). 

Happy Saturday!  The sun is shining and the sap is flowing.  Sigh.  It's syrup time again.  This will be the 2nd year now that I'm boiling and canning syrup while on W30.  At least that keeps my fingers from swiping the leftover drippings but it's a bummer not to taste it.  Oh well, we'll have plenty to taste when W30 is over.  We canned our first 2 1/2 pints this morning.  I hope it's not as good a syrup year as last year.  I got very tired of boiling and canning.

Day 6:

M1 - eggs, kale, sw pot, CB

M2 - "pizza" salad - salad/veg with pork, olives, tomato sauce - it was pretty good

post yoga snack - sw pot

M3 - out - worked out great.  we ended up at a steak place.  I had broiled walleye. :)  And green beans cooked in olive oil and salad with just lemon as dressing.  And club soda as my "drink", which left me bloated but wasn't alcohol so all is good.

WO - hot yoga (6th class in a week and 4th in a row and I'm wiped!  I will take tomorrow off)

I also don't think there is anything wrong with eating the same things.  It makes life and shopping easier to have some patterns.  And if you are enjoying it, go for it.  I tend to eat the same things for a long time, and then one day, I'll stop.  Usually with 4 boxes or bunches or cans left.  And I won't touch it again.   :rolleyes:

I agree, especially while you are trying to stay on a program like Whole30 eating the same thing over and over is better than eating something non-compliant. I have been stuck in a hamburger with sweet potato noodles rut for over a week now. And I'm ok with it because it is better than ordering a pizza. How was your weekend?

Woohoo!  Great to see you, too, Beets!  How are you?

Weekend was ok.  I feel like I overate, but it was all compliant.  I'd like to work this week on eating fewer starches just because I want them and doing a better job of limiting the nut butters.  A banana with almond butter isn't a good W30 snack.  

Day 7:

M1 - kale, eggs, sw pot w/ CB

M2 - eggs, spinach salad, banana, AB, strawberries

M3 - chicken, salad/veg, sw pot, CB

WO - walk

Day 8:

M1 - eggs, kale, sw pot w/ CB

M2 - salad/veg, sausage, avocado, strawberries

M3 - chicken veg soup, avocado

WO - walk, hot yoga

Good suggestion (that does happen to me, too), but I think my meals are plenty big lately.  It's pure laziness.  And choosing the "treat" rather than a better choice.  Something to work on during W30.  It'd be boring if I didn't have something to fret about. :)

Really, this W30 is pretty boring.  The only changes for W30 are AB instead of SB, plain balsamic instead of TJs balsamic glaze, no dab of jam on my morning eggs and being more vigilent when eating out (which doesn't happen often anyway).  So, it's kind of anti-climactic, really.  If I want to lose a few lbs, I need to work on the snacks (compliant or not) and probably the unnecessary starches (I didn't NEED a sweet potato with dinner the other night, for example.  I just wanted one.  I do need my bit of sw pot for breakfast, though, to set me up for a not all day hungry day).  And, to be honest, losing a few lbs is really my goal from doing a strict W30.  I seem to be able to keep the other benefits (fewer cold sores, eating 3x a day and not needing to snack/not being hungry all the time) from just eating mostly W30ish. 

Day 9:

M1 - eggs, kale, sw pot w/CB

M2 - salad/veg, chicken veg soup, avocado

M3 - pork chops, salad/veg, mayo

WO - walk

Ha, I'll find something to fret about too!  Yup, it is definitely the snacking.  Can you decide to cut the snacks for the rest of the W30?  If you are truly hungry between meals, something not exciting like a salad with chicken breast?

Yeah, I think that's what I need to do.  Force myself to have a mini meal if I get hungry.  I don't want to completely ban "snacks" as then I tend to overeat at meals in fear of getting hungry.  I will work on not taking the easy route and actually make a mini meal if I need something between the main three meals.

Day 10:

M1 - eggs, kale, sw pot w/CB

M3 - chicken veg soup, salad/veg, avocado

WO - walk, yoga

Aw. I wish I could say mine is/will be anticlimactic. Sounds like you've been keeping up with this WOE much better than I've been. But still I'm glad to have you here so keep enjoying those w30 benefits. :) Thanks again for the detergent recipes. I've considered making my own a few times. The w30 always brings unexpected changes.

And I second the mini meal advice. I was just saying in my log that one thing that's better in round two is that I didn't have to go through a few days of tryig to get fat adapted while snacking on nuts. And, yeah, I hear you on being more mindful of the finer points: eating only till you are sated, not taking that extra bite or that sweet pot just because it tastes good.

Archived