Official Whole30 - August Check Ins!

Robin Strathdee

Day 3 is done...No headaches for me...thank goodness! Just tired...Diagnosed with Anemia again bc of my Celiacs Disease..so it is very hard to distinguish between the fatigue due to NO sugar/processed junk or the Anemia. The sugar dragon tried to persuade me to make the

wrong decisions today but I won the battle. I have been eating lots of carrots..mushrooms..egg whites/scrambled and boiled/and tuna. Figured out that I just can't eat nuts...too much of a trigger for me.

Good Luck tomorrow everyone!!!!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2 done, Day 3 1/3 done! So far not feeling the "hungover" feeling from day 2-3. But I am sure it will catch up with me.

Goal for today is 0 fruit. I think I had too many servings the last couple days (2-3). So far the BF is crabby as heck but only while we grocery shop... he just gets frustrated when he sees things he can't have and then puts the emphasis on those things (even though he has never bought pickled asparagus before he wants it now) Go figure.

I told him it was the sugar dragon and he said I was dumb they are salty not sweet. But the added sugar makes them yummy. I am going to look up a recipe to see if I can make them without sugar.

Good luck everyone! stay strong, positive and smiling

gooooooood morning!

waking up today (day 4) felt like what i had read day 3 would feel like. foggy headed. harder to wake up. i felt like i'd had a bottle of wine (of course i had not). that said the most amazing thing happened -- instead of thinking "oh it's one of those mornings" i thought about how well i nourished myself yesterday, and not just with food. you know i thought about what time i went to bed and all of that. this is a whole new way for me to be thinking (thanks whole9).

i love that i actually took account of how my body felt and then did a quick review of how well i had taken care of myself the previous day so that today i can make adjustments to keep me on track. that's not something i generally do. two things stuck out: i had stayed up way later than i planned (till midnight) and i also think i over consumed fruit yesterday. so i re-read the the let's eat chapter in It Starts With Food and did some nutritional fine tuning. and i'll be going night night on the early side tonight. (also because crossfit is tomorrow!)

welcome to day 4!

keep going everyone!!!!!

Thought I would log in and say hi. Today was my Day 4 and so far so good. I have been trying to start a Whole30 for a few weeks, but this is as far as I have ever got, so i am very pleased.

I really struggled with tiredness yesterday, but today I felt much better. I am realizing how much 'picking' I do subconsciously. I am forever putting little snacks in my mouth, that are very unnecessary. I found today I wasn't enormously hungry either. Just normal hungry.

Really enjoying the feeling I am getting from eating clean. My knuckles are not as sore and achey as usual.

Good Luck to everyone for Day5

Hello Everyone,

I know I'm late posting but I'm in as well, I started on August 1st and doing great so far, I'm also looking for a buddy to help me out with my first Whole30.

Wishing everyone the best of luck!

day 4 is on it's way out. day 5 and crossfit are on the horizon and i'm frexited!

the social event went great and i stayed on track. there were all kinds of sugar dragons lying in wait. i had a solid second meal, went to the event, had a great time, drank some mineral water with lemon and lime and got home in time to make a great third meal in which the guest of honor was a juicy pan seared steak! YUM!

keep calm and whole30 on!

Day 4 is done...My family has been out of town for the past week...I told them to beware...only nutritious, whole foods in the house. This will be a challenge..as I am the only one out of 4 eating Paleo...Hope everyone had a good day...Here's to day 5..

Day 4 is coming to a close and I'm doing very well. Until something irritates me--instant rage. I hope that stage ends soon for hubby's sake. Today we were discussing what category of food we'll start with when we get to add back in. It looks like it will be diet soda because hubby misses it too much and I won't be able to resist if he buys it. At least I think I won't. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it turns out I don't care?!

We started August 1, and I've been busy reading, planning, shopping, prepping and cooking. So far, so good.

Husband has commented on how his arthritic hands feel better and his sinuses are not bothering him as much. Even right after mowing the grass. My ring is not so tight, and my digestive system is running more smoothly.

This morning, I woke up thinking it was going to be a drudge eating the same stuff week after week, but after thinking about how we have been eating, this is a refreshing change. And one I think we can live with after the 30 days. (I want to have a relaxed meal from time to time, but hubs says he's on board for good. We'll see after 30.)

We were eating relatively "healthy" before: lean protein, brown rice, steamed veggies, fresh fruit, etc, but lots of dairy and grains. It's not as big a change as for some, but our routine has been disrupted....

....but in a good way. We were in a rut. I had worked out a system to get dinner on the table fast, but it got boring. I had developed homemade and healthy "fast food." Not as bad as junk food, but not much more satisfying. I now have to put some creative effort into meals, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Again: So Far, So Good.

Day 4 is coming to a close and I'm doing very well. Until something irritates me--instant rage. I hope that stage ends soon for hubby's sake. Today we were discussing what category of food we'll start with when we get to add back in. It looks like it will be diet soda because hubby misses it too much and I won't be able to resist if he buys it. At least I think I won't. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it turns out I don't care?!

Hopefully by the end he won't be craving that either and you can both move on to something just as pleasing but healthier.

Day 4 went very well, a little bit of a headache, but am sleeping better and getting up easier. Today may be tough - a few months ago I lost my wonderful companion, my 16 year old dog Dakota - been dealing pretty well with that, until THREE of my friends all lost their old faithful companions this weekend as well - brings back so much pain and sadness. But, I realize food won't fill that void - and so I will hold onto this realization and consciously do something that will bring more joy to my life. Going to the pool now!

Day 4 was the worst day EVER! It started out well. I went for an early morning lake swim with some of my swim friends and that is a great way for me to start my day. Then I headed home to prepare for my son's 4th birthday party later that morning. The homemade cupcakes and frosting didn't tempt me one bit. I had the kids taste test the frosting to tell me if the texture and consistency was right. I wasn't temped by the non-W30 party food either. The part that was really hard was it was also our 5 year wedding anniversary and I suppose because of the party hoopla there was no acknowledgement of our anniversary from my husband. By 7:00 pm I was fairly upset. With no sugar, wine, chocolate to deaden those emotions they were pretty raw. My husband and I have been together for over 8 years and we never, ever fight or argue but holy cow, we got into a GIGANTIC, ugly screaming match. It was terrible. I started to seriously wonder if this Whole30 thing is really worth it. I felt so bad and defeated and exhausted. I guess I didn't realize how much I use food and drink to keep my emotions at bay. Ugh.

Here's to a better day 5. I sure hope it can't get any worse.

into day 5 and had a moment of panic and thought to myself "oh my good you're doing this for 30 whole days? maybe more?" i laughed at myself, because i've never had a case of the "oh my good you've been eating like crap for the past XX years, how can you do that to yourself?" brains and habits are tricky little things. anyways, i'm still on track. just got back from a crossfit workout. had some lunch and gonna have a great rest of the day!

on a different note: one thing i've noticed is that i'm remembering my dreams more. don't knwo if it's whle30 related but it did start a few days into the proigram....so i'm tracking them now.

Days 4 & 5 done. Didn't get the 'kill all the things' feelings so don't know whether I've escaped it or whether it will come later. It's going OK so far other than the low energy levels.

DucatiGirl - I hope you had (or are having) a much better day 5!

Day 5 done.Today started great with a long walk and became a bit of a nightmare as the day went on.Hoping this angry feeling passes soon.Hope to be motivated to get up at 630 again tomorrow and go for an early walk and a better feeling within.Good luck for Day 6..almost a full week already!

I just stumbled upon this Whole30 website today, and I want to do it! I am going to officially start tomorrow, August 6, which also happens to be my first day back at work after the summer. I figure that if this is what I want to do, then this is a perfect way to start off the school year! I'm looking forward to this challenge and will be checking back here for support and the answers to all of the questions that I'm sure that I'm going to have :) Good luck all!

Archived