Sick of Justifying My Diet

ErynRNY

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just made me mad - it's like the safety expert Gavin deBecker says "when someone ignores your no they are trying to control you."

It's day three of this for me - and I feel great and what is strange is that for the first time ever I'm starting to understand what hunger really feels like - and I know its hunger because once I eat, the discomfort goes away.

I think it is ridculous that when an adult says no that she is ignored. Now I just need to get through girl scout cookie selling without eatting any.

Totally agree, SportsGalPal! Sometimes when people do that to me, I want to ask them "if I was an alcoholic, would you keep offering me drinks, even though I've said no?" You never know what someone's situation is. For me, the minute I eat something sugary, sweet, or too carby, I immediately crave more and go off the rails. I think that's probably true for a lot of people here. It's kind of like an addiction and the best thing for me to do is abstain. 

Keep up the great work on your Whole30, and when the Girl Scout cookie urge strikes you, look those cookies dead on and tell them "Girl Scout cookies, you have no power over me!!!"

Two things I've added to my arsenal that I've found help with this. First I try never to say "I can't have that" and always say "I'm choosing not to eat that". There is so much more power in the latter phrase. The second is if someone pushes it I will look them in the eye and ask them why they are bullying me. I've actually never had to pull that one out but it is in my arsenal. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two things I've added to my arsenal that I've found help with this. First I try never to say "I can't have that" and always say "I'm choosing not to eat that". There is so much more power in the latter phrase. The second is if someone pushes it I will look them in the eye and ask them why they are bullying me. I've actually never had to pull that one out but it is in my arsenal. 

I have to echo this. Yesterday someone offered me a bite of Kit-Kat (I had said I was hungry but had to wait just another 15 minutes to get to my food) and I said  no thanks, I'm not allowed to have that right now. Big mistake. Actually I realized now, LIGHTBULB, that I can "have" whatever I want whenever I want. Like you guys all said, it's about what you choose to have. Anyway this led to coworkers ganging up on me about how it is all a bit ridiculous to cut out so many things at once, you deprive yourself, you will just go crazy at the end and binge anyway, etc etc.

I responded by saying that the main reason I am doing this is to because I am -not- good with moderation and I want to get a hold of my relationship with sugar. The discussion came at the right time, because I had just received the supportive email about how W30 is actually easy on your brain because things are either IN or OUT (ok yes there are things in moderation like fruit and seeds but if you eat to template that shouldn't be a problem).

I live within 500 meters of 3 different bakeries and they have taken a toll on me. Since I started W30 (18 days ago), I sleep better and wake up at 8am instead of 1030-11. My energy levels are steady. I ran faster than ever this week. Haters can't argue with that. Now, if along the way I find other sensitivities, fine, but stripping out added sugar is worth it alone.

But really, it is hard having all these people around me rolling their eyes. My closest friends' idea of support is "oh wow that must be hard"  "I could never do that" "what do you eat? I admire you". Let it be known that I work with a bunch of French ex-pats who abide by the pillars of square meals, fat-heavy recipes, milk products, wine, and not eating between meals.

This thread is very timely for me.  Just this morning both my sister and a good friend emailed me and said "only a few more days!" all excited.  I'm on day 26 today.  My sister, in particular, is very concerned with me being able to drink with her.  I don't get it.  Why does it matter if I drink or not?  As I've posted elsewhere on the forum, I am pregnant so of course I'm not going to drink.  I'm not ready to tell people about the pregnancy though.  

This is extremely annoying to me.  I think next time it comes up I'm just going to tell them that I don't want to talk about my diet anymore.  I am so tired of people asking me if I can have this or that.  I CAN eat whatever I want, but I don't want to eat processed foods.  I actually don't even miss alcohol as much as I thought I would.  I wish everyone would just leave me alone.  

In my case, all of the pressure comes from the women I am closest with.  The crazy thing is, they are all thin and I am not.  I don't know if they are threatened by me becoming thinner for some reason or what.  If I could eat what they eat and look how they look I probably would never have bothered with Whole 30.  But, I cannot eat what they eat without gaining weight.  I know for a fact that every one of them would be incredibly unhappy to have my figure, yet every time I do something to try and fix it they berate me.  I'm over it.  

Honestly, the pressure to drink has me worried because I am not ready to announce my pregnancy, yet even before my Whole 30 is over people are pressuring me and trying to make drinking plans with me.  It's ridiculous.  

I've stopped talking to anyone but my family about whole30 unless they ask.

My family in the other hand are fair game. If they make comment I'll retaliate...mainly because I do give a sh*t about their health. After 2 (and 1 almost) whole30s they are getting used to it and even my stubborn mother has taken some things to heart and made sone changes....she will pick up low fat and announce it's the sugar you have to watch for and notice all the E numbers in things so that's good I think! I'll never win them over, my sister works high up in the cereal industry so that's not happening, but I have stopped having to defend my choices so often. Even this weekend...We are having a girls trip to London and my mother asked last week if I wanted to look at the menu of the swanky restaurant to check...I said no as I'm throwing caution to the wind as it's a special occasion but the fact she asked was nice ;)

The exception is if a friend asks me, as happened today, then I'll talk about paleo but otherwide I've found it's not going to work anyway so I don't try!!

Honestly, the pressure to drink has me worried because I am not ready to announce my pregnancy, yet even before my Whole 30 is over people are pressuring me and trying to make drinking plans with me.  It's ridiculous.  

Tell them you FEEL so much better, you have decided to extend your Whole 30.  No revealing of pregnancy required.  ;)

Tell them you FEEL so much better, you have decided to extend your Whole 30.  No revealing of pregnancy required.  ;)

I have been saying things like that already, just to set the stage. Today, my sister was full of rebuttals, which is why I was so annoyed. She said "Really? You don't seem that happy" and gems like "Maybe you can have a cheat day once a week or something." It is really frustrating. If she brings it up again I am just going to say something about how I don't want to talk about it and hopefully that will end the conversation.

I didn't tell anybody, not even family.    People I see at the post office, grocery store on a regular basis have never asked me one darned thing.   Sometimes that really ticks me because I want to tell everybody. coach000.gif    I don't.    I keep my mouth shut.  I know that's hard to believe.  lol3.gif lol3.gif  I come here and visit with my Whole 30 friends. 

I would really like to tell them,  O peoples, I'm sooo excited broc.gif   about the Whole 30.   carrot.gif  Ain't  nobody gonna rain on my parade now umbrella.gif.    Uh huh,  I'm come too far to let anyone talk me out of anything about a Whole 30.   One day, you'll be there too.   It will roll off your back like water.   Stay strong.  coach000.gif Don't give too much away until you can really stand your ground.  Hold your cards close to your chest for now.

Archived