May 5th start

Kage

Good Morning Everyone!

Day  22.... Congrat's to everyone!

I also bought my first Lara bar have not had it yet but was surprised to find it, so I thought I will buy one to check it out.

Funny about the scale, I have one in my bathroom and did not put it away because I hardly ever use it but just yesterday as I was in the bathroom, I thought maybe maybe..... didn't but maybe.......

What is the first thing that everyone is going to do on DAY 31?

I do not know what I will do, maybe put a little cream in my coffee, although I do not hate black coffee, I do not like it either. I just have one cup so maybe I should just continue to drink it black and only have one cup. If I put cream, I will probably have two.

Maybe it is the Monday blues, but the honeymoon is over and the blah's have set in........... just a little bored, hopefully will pass but I will stick to it until the end...... only 8 days to go!

Yahoo... have a good one everyone!

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Morning 5/5s,

I've become an addict to food documentaries (one addiction replaces the other, I suppose)

I have a headache today and feel a little swollen. I was thinking it was possible that the spices the client used on our "compliant lunch" were not compliant...sigh. Will drink lots of water today. I also had a fourth meal yesterday and a piece of fruit with almond butter...sadness sets in.

Either way, I keep learning.

Donna R. The scale story is so funny. I've made a commitment to stay off the scale for a year as it doesn't change a thing. I keep telling myself if you keep exercising and eating better...life will be better no matter what a scale says. I say to myself, "Self, you've been weighing yourself since you were 10, you're 54...so, how's that workin for ya?".

Auburn, you have done an amazing job, you really grasped this well and stuck with it. I admire that kind of commitment and stamina.

Some of my (hopefully lifetime) takeaways from this first attempt at a whole 30.

I use food probably every time I get stressed and used to have a cigarette (16 years ago). :wacko:

I know how I'm doing without the scale and probably should let it go for good. It is not a true indicator of health. It is something that gives me license to relax my diet if it goes down and abuse myself by restricting food intake when it goes up. :(

I feel better when I eat real food instead of processed foods. :D

I feel better when I eat more veggies. :D

I feel better when I drink more water :D

I feel better when I don't drink alcohol) :mellow:

I know sugar and breads are tough on my constitution. ;)

I'm still trying to understand if I need to give up nightshades. I also am worried that the higher intake of meat is hard on my system and will try moving over to chicken & fish in the smallest amounts. So much to learn in life. But first, I want to complete my first whole, whole 30 and see how that makes me feel.

DEB C - Trader Joes has a complient wild caught smoked salmon...but I had to read a lot of packages.

That's another great thing about this program...we all really know what we're ingesting. Just eliminating the sugar is a huge health boon. You have to know that this program is full of great life lessons.

Okay, off to take son on first driving expedition...wish me luck.

MamaMiki

Happy Memorial Day to everyone. I am back from my "Guys Weekend" and still in one piece. I have many things to accomplish before work tomorrow so I will try to write more later. Hope all is well and everyone is kicking butt!

Dave

Lucky me... Did not feel like cooking tonight but I did have a plan but my husband made dinner!

Poor him..... Spagetti squash... That was easy! Ground turkey and onions, a little salt and pepper separate because my one daughter is a vegetarian and then a sauce with loads of vege and tomatoes that were blended in my fancy blender for the sauce.... Just the tomatoes blended not the veges!

All tasted yummy and even better because I did not have to make it....... YAHOO!

Hope there is leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

Remembering loved ones on Memorial Day. 

Hello everyone been stalking reading but was unable to make comments/questions.

Miki does the bacon from WF have nitrites? Is it pasture fed? Cause the bacon from Costco's is not pasture fed and has nitrites but is sugar free. Im confused about what to be looking for here. Never the less my WF does not have the sugar free bacon anyway. But I am going to keep asking for it and maybe they will get some in. Here is a recipe for homemade breakfast sausage. Very easy, a little dry but good flavor. http://paleomg.com/homemade-pork-breakfast-sausage/ . I have been keeping a food journal and I too feel that beef may be a little rough on my system and may be sticking to fish and chicken and pork. I was cooking away from my home and had to use Imagine chicken stock. While on the list of ingredients it was all compliant except for "spices", what does this mean? I felt my runny nose flair up and according to my journal it was the only thing different that I could attribute it too. What falls under the category of "spices" ? Anyone know? I love all of your takeaways and can relate with many of them. 

Hey Dave missed your comments, hope you had a good time!

Auburn Gal I would be so proud of such a smart son!!

Bluegrass mama and Auburn gal I too had a near run in with a scale. Its like it matters more to know than it ever did before.....

Hope everyone has a great week! I am on my count down week day 26! Over all I think it has gone by quickly and then into another 15 days.  :)

Marita...Bacon lowdown.

Pedersons Natural Farms

Uncured No Sugar Hicory Smoked Bacon.

Port Raised wtih the use of antibiotics or growth stimulants and Fed No Animal By Products - EVER!

Minimally Processed, No artificial ingredients No Preservatives

Ingredients Port, Water Less than 2 persecnt...salt vinegar, celery powder

No Nitrite or Nitrate Added (not exactly sure why they added "added", does it contain it naturally?

Oh well...I'm calling this a win UNLESS a moderator tells me diff.

Bonus..Recipe on back...Bacon wrapped sweet potato bites

Preheat oven to 350, peel sweet pot and cut into bite sized pieces. Sprinkle cayenne pepper and sea salt over pots. cut the bacon in half, wrap each sweet pot with half slice of bacon and secur with a toothpick. Place on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until pots are for tender...turning once.

Long day. Had a great salad for breakfast, shrimp salad for lunch and veggie soup and avocado for dinner.

Got in a 3 mile walk today. hip still sore, but everything else feeling pretty good.

I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day and is ready to smile and dial tomorrow.

hugs

MamaMiki

Marita...Bacon lowdown.

Pedersons Natural Farms

Uncured No Sugar Hicory Smoked Bacon.

Port Raised wtih the use of antibiotics or growth stimulants and Fed No Animal By Products - EVER!

Minimally Processed, No artificial ingredients No Preservatives

Ingredients Port, Water Less than 2 persecnt...salt vinegar, celery powder

No Nitrite or Nitrate Added (not exactly sure why they added "added", does it contain it naturally?

Oh well...I'm calling this a win UNLESS a moderator tells me diff.

I'm assuming this is a typo and "port" should be "pork"?  If yes, then this bacon is Whole30 compliant.  :)

Bacon wrapped sweet potato bites are fabulous! I made them for my super bowl party this year after finding the recipe on pinterest. They were a big hit!

Today I have to go in to the office for the day (normally work from home) and this will be my first full day in the office since I started the Whole30. I have lunch all packed and brought snacks too just in case someone eats my lunch. I probably packed way more than I needed to, but I don't want to run in to any of the problems some of you have mentioned already because it is a really important day. I have 3 more interviews for the job that I really want and another interview for a different job that I am indifferent towards. I am feeling confident because of how I look and how good I feel and I know this will go a long way to keep my nerves at bay.

My mom mentioned that my dad has noticed how much I have stepped up recently when it comes to making my yard look nice. That means a lot. I have to admit this is the first time in a long time I have had the energy on the weekend to put in the effort to do yard work. Another #nonscalevictory

Have a great day everyone!!

Good Morning All !

Bacon wrapped sweet potato sounds delicious, I am going to have to try it.... it also sounds very easy!

My yard is also looking up due to the extra energy that I have....... almost finished the back yard, just a few more bags of mulch and it will be done....... and then onto the front, we are in the process of building a rock garden, then to plant some wild grass's..... and sod and we are done!

I love that I have energy and I am not exhausted all the time...... a definite NONSCALEVICTORY !

Good luck in the office Auburn !

Hope all is well with everyone and the day is as beautiful as you all are! :)

Good Morning 5/5s and faithful moderators,

Yes indeed, Port was a typo and it was supposed to read Pork...whew.

Next I'm going to start on my yard. I finally cleaned out the attic, a huge job, lots of up and down and it turned out amazing. Indeed I could not have done it without feeling so great.

Auburn, I have been keeping two meals in the refrig, mainly because if I get hungry I want to have a compliant meal (not a snacky thing) ready for consumption. For me (anxiety around food) it comforts me most of the time (on other occasions it calls to me, a story for another day).

Big week at work. Among other things I will get to ride to work with 150 frosted shortbread cookies...I am strong, I am strong.

Hugs and wishes for a great week and approaching our final weekend as Whole 30 Zealots.

Keep up the great work.

Miki

I have been offline all weekend.  I am back but have hit a high frustration level.  :angry:   I know this isn't about losing weight.  I've told myself that a million times already.  No, I have not weighed myself.  But my clothes feel the same.  I think I look the same.  Is it so bad to have wanted this to help me lose some weight?  or size.  Size is more like it.  I guess I don't really care WHAT I weigh, but I do care how I look. 

Also, I am pretty sure some of my lack of feeling "tiger blood" by day 23 is due to the fact that I never seem to sleep enough or well enough.  My husband is a rotten sleeper.  He has bouts of restless legs (my own diagnosis, but try sleeping next to a 6'4'' , 190lb man that kicks his legs every 30-60 seconds).  He is a loud breather and makes noises; not really talking, but noises.  This is most prevalent in the first 3-4 hours of his sleep.  Guess what this all adds up to for me?  No sleep or poor quality sleep.  I'm a light sleeper; always have been.  So now what?  Sleeping on the sofa is rotten too -- its not that comfortable.  Besides, that action might cause him to wonder....  I have moved to the couch before when I just HAVE to get some sleep and can't take it any more.  Oh, and he goes to bed before me a lot of times.  Not like I can run in there a 8 pm and be fast asleep by 9 (which is when he usually goes to bed).  We have teenagers.  And I'm not tired at 8.  I usually get tired at 10.

He should be doing this whole30 too.  I bet it would solve some of his rotten sleep problems.  But you can lead a horse to water......

I feel that I am losing my mind.  I do feel better -- but not GREAT.  Yes, I'm whining.  I can't help it.  I wanted to feel better AND I thought I might look better too -- but its the same old me in the mirror every day.  And my clothes fit the same.  :-(

Ok, sorry to dump......  Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Jamie

I have been offline all weekend.  I am back but have hit a high frustration level.  :angry:   I know this isn't about losing weight.  I've told myself that a million times already.  No, I have not weighed myself.  But my clothes feel the same.  I think I look the same.  Is it so bad to have wanted this to help me lose some weight?  or size.  Size is more like it.  I guess I don't really care WHAT I weigh, but I do care how I look. 

Also, I am pretty sure some of my lack of feeling "tiger blood" by day 23 is due to the fact that I never seem to sleep enough or well enough.  My husband is a rotten sleeper.  He has bouts of restless legs (my own diagnosis, but try sleeping next to a 6'4'' , 190lb man that kicks his legs every 30-60 seconds).  He is a loud breather and makes noises; not really talking, but noises.  This is most prevalent in the first 3-4 hours of his sleep.  Guess what this all adds up to for me?  No sleep or poor quality sleep.  I'm a light sleeper; always have been.  So now what?  Sleeping on the sofa is rotten too -- its not that comfortable.  Besides, that action might cause him to wonder....  I have moved to the couch before when I just HAVE to get some sleep and can't take it any more.  Oh, and he goes to bed before me a lot of times.  Not like I can run in there a 8 pm and be fast asleep by 9 (which is when he usually goes to bed).  We have teenagers.  And I'm not tired at 8.  I usually get tired at 10.

He should be doing this whole30 too.  I bet it would solve some of his rotten sleep problems.  But you can lead a horse to water......

I feel that I am losing my mind.  I do feel better -- but not GREAT.  Yes, I'm whining.  I can't help it.  I wanted to feel better AND I thought I might look better too -- but its the same old me in the mirror every day.  And my clothes fit the same.  :-(

Ok, sorry to dump......  Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Jamie

Unfortunately the sleep is probably contributing to both of these things. It may be time to have a calm and serious discussion with your husband about sleep. If he is not willing to try Whole30 would he be willing to do a sleep study? If a doctor diagnoses and recommends treatments that might be helpful. Are you in the biggest bed possible? Getting a California King mattress that minimized movement transfer helped a lot for me (I also have a tall husband who moves a lot in his sleep). You could also try sleeping with ear plugs. It does start with food, but food can only do so much. Sleep is a very important component.

Unfortunately the sleep is probably contributing to both of these things. It may be time to have a calm and serious discussion with your husband about sleep. If he is not willing to try Whole30 would he be willing to do a sleep study? If a doctor diagnoses and recommends treatments that might be helpful. Are you in the biggest bed possible? Getting a California King mattress that minimized movement transfer helped a lot for me (I also have a tall husband who moves a lot in his sleep). You could also try sleeping with ear plugs. It does start with food, but food can only do so much. Sleep is a very important component.

Thank you for the suggestions.  We have talked about his sleep; but I guess I am not making myself perfectly clear on what I need.  I have considered getting a new bed.  We have a regular king size bed now; but I was thinking the California king would be better too.  The problem with that?  coming up with the funding....  So, I'm back to the drawing board with him on discussing sleep.  I will make a shorter, more to the point conversation with him.  I know he isn't purposely trying to keep me awake.  But he is.  And clearly, I am VERY tired today -- and its making me CRANKY!    :-)

Thank you for the suggestions.  We have talked about his sleep; but I guess I am not making myself perfectly clear on what I need.  I have considered getting a new bed.  We have a regular king size bed now; but I was thinking the California king would be better too.  The problem with that?  coming up with the funding....  So, I'm back to the drawing board with him on discussing sleep.  I will make a shorter, more to the point conversation with him.  I know he isn't purposely trying to keep me awake.  But he is.  And clearly, I am VERY tired today -- and its making me CRANKY!    :-)

That is the hardest thing about it...knowing he isn't trying to keep you awake. Trust me, you have my sympathy and understanding.

I share the not losing issue. I haven't been perfect and am curious how I will do when I do my first real Whole 30 in June.

I think I eat too much at meals.

I know I snack, as much as I try not to.

I think beef disagrees with me and I've been trying to force it in...I will move to mostly fish with a little pork in my real whole 30.

I haven't been able to exercise.

But I do feel enough better with respect to my aches & pains, energy level and sinus relief that I will be hard pressed to go back to living the way I did. I look forward to doing a religious whole 30 and then doing a slow and proper reintro.

Miki

Gee, all this talk of sleep has gotten me very tired! Jlmathis....has your husband been tested for sleep apnea? If he has it and gets put on a C-pap machine, this could be make a big difference in your sleep AND his. As far as the weight....just hang in there. I have my fingers crossed that you will see some kind of weight loss or something that will inspire you to keep going in the direction you have started. "The body that you have next year will thank you for the diet you started today!"  

DonnaR - you sound like you get the "energizer bunny" award for the week. Good job!

Marita, GFChris, and Auburngal....you are doing great.....almost done!

MINI!!!!!! Glad to be back, love the new pic of you and your boys! Love your spirit and perseverence! Keep it up!

As I mentioned, I am back from my Guys weekend and have been sworn to secrecy on the events that might or might not have unfolded on this adventure. Actually, we were really good and were only in jail for about 2 hours. The good news is that they served Whole 30 compliant meals in the North Carolina detention center! Their homemade "dixie bbq sauce" made from old shoes and grasshoppers was to die for.  

Seriously, I was very good on my trip and ate smart, stayed well hydrated, got to catch up with my buddies, fish, shoot guns, tell jokes, and just be guys! My wife was sooooo happy to have me back in one piece. She said I need to do this every year....she said I DESERVE it! I have no idea who this new woman is in my home.......but she is extremely gorgeous so I will let her stay. She went shopping yesterday and I was mowing the lawn when she left. She came back with new shorts for me (34 waist). She said it looked like my shorts were going to fall off of me. I told her I was wearing 36 waist and that I wasnt going to be able to fit in the 34's just yet. Well, the 34's fit.......actually kind of loose. I was wearing a 40 waist in January and a 38 waist at the beginning of April. I am living proof that ANYBODY can do this program (even if you are not perfect) and still get great results from it. DO NOT QUIT ON YOURSELF! I WILL FIND YOU AND YELL AT YOU!

Dave

All I can think about today is cookies. 

GF/DF/SF cookies but still SWYPO cookies. 

I have not surrendered to this urge yet bcs if I did I would eat the whole batch. 

Wake up....lets go! This group is almost to the finish :) ! I am all hopped up on eggs and sugar-free bacon and off to start my day. Had a refreshing cup of Green Tea with Pomegranite (what the hell is wrong with me?) and ran out the door to "carpe diem"! I have a couple more challenges (eating) this week with a Rascal Flatts concert tomorrow night and a baseball game on Saturday. NO PROBLEM! Just need to figure out how to sneak asparagus spears into my cargo shorts along with a SoBe water and I should be just fine. I worked in my sauna last night (didn't know I had one) but realized that when I was done straightening my garage that I was drenched. You have to love Maryland summers. We had a nice thunderstorm come thru that cooled everything off.....finally! Still need to finish painting the inside of the garage and then I am going to epoxy the floor with speckled paint.  

This weekend I am planning on making some of the cherry BBQ sauce that somebody posted...thats sounds good.

I hope everyone is having a great day.......living with less pain......feeling better about themselves......enjoying some sort of new health benefit......sleeping a little better......being energized......happy......eating well........and realizing that they are coming to the end of their FIRST W30 completion......eager to start the next one!

Dave

Hello, Hello, Hello

How are we all doing today?

I can hardly believe that I personally have gotten this far, that alone is an accomplishment especially because I have never really followed anything before. Miki you will do the next one perfect.... I kind of had a practice run when I did the paleo challenge with my daughter in November even though I knew I was going to cheat, it made me so much more aware of labels especially the sugar. The Whole30 takes it one step further with other things.

Well all of this is certainly interesting to find out about the food that we eat.... last night I made a broccoli salad and about an hour after I was having a bit of some tummy issues..... and now this morning I feel bloated and just plain off....... I put some nuts in the salad, so it is either the raw broccoli or the nuts.... I had cooked broccoli and everything was fine. I am thinking that it is more the nuts. :blink:

I think I need a guys weekend or I will make it a gals weekend and of course mom is the word. I will wait until the Whole30 is over due to the fact that I might indulge a little and have a cocktail, I make a mean strawberry margarita with frozen fresh picked strawberries......

Funny thing, some days I feel like I lost a little and other days I feel that I have not........ anyone else feel like this?

I know the energy level is way up which I appreciate, I no longer come home from work just wiped out and do nothing like I did before. My ipad hardly runs out of juice because I am not on it hardly ever..... YAHOO ! No more couch potato for me, gotta love that !

I have been getting alot of exercise in my yard (picking up leaves, weeds, laying down mulch, picking rocks and than laying them for our rock garden, pruning bushes, taking out bushes and planting a garden)....... sprucing it up!  I love being outside especially after one of the worst winters we just experienced! B)

Hope you are all doing great, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK EVEYONE !   :D 

Dave, that is my next project to tackle my garage, I need to paint the floor again!

Donna -  look into a garage floor epoxy. It takes longer to do that just painting the floor, but the results last longer and they come out beautiful. Just an idea! Glad to hear that you are enjoying all of the energy. Keep on keeping on.

Dave

Come on Mini! "Wakey Wakey rise and shine...get up get up it's Whole 30 Time!" What you meant to say was that you are going to KICK ASS one hour at a time! I already told my co-workers that I was handing out "free ass whoopins" in the parking lot at lunch time. It's going to be a great day, don't let anybody "steal your joy" or get in your way. You are a machine, you can not be slowed or stopped, you can not be denied, you can not be reasoned with. You have the will power and the mental strength of a hundred people and "your WILL be done!" You have never heard of, nor understand the meaning of the word "can't"! You WILL be successful today! The only hard day was YESTERDAY! Let's go.......make some mayo...you'll feel better! Make sure to pick out the gritty parts from the pine cones :D 

Dave  

Archived