May 5th start

Kage

Changes that I am noticing ...... skin clearer, energy level better, mood better, most nights sleeping better but not all, mind clearer, weight unsure clothes still fit the same..... I had/have no true medical problems so nothing there to clear up!

Donna,

I too notice my energy level is better and my sleep is better and my mind is clearer. I feel like I still have a bit of mood swings. I think my clothes fit different but not necessarily looser. When I get to day 30 I am going to weight and measure myself before I head into the next whole15. I really need to know!?!

AuburngalNC, Good job!! I felt tired and weak too and adjusted my fat and protein intake and it seems to have helped lots!! I still have a lull in the afternoon though. I have lots of energy at night before bed and may take me a while to get to sleep but then I seem to sleep 8 hours. 

Make it a good one!!

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marita -- I'm with you on weighing and measuring.  I need to know, but so far I have held out and not weighed myself.  I hid the scale from myself (although I do know where it is....).  :-)  Clothes seem maybe a tiny bit looser.  I have not been exercising.  Well, except for moving five 10-gallon shop vacs full of water across the basement floor (carpet) to the bathroom and dumping it out.  Wow THAT made me sore but on the up-side, the soreness did not last nearly as long as it would have before Whole30.  So, I will weigh in but I'm going to make myself wait until my true whole30 date -- since I had to start over after the Day 9 carageenan mess up.  June 11th.....   

In between now and June 11th I have my daughter's graduation open house to deal with and on 5/22 my husband and I are going down to Denver to see the Colorado Rockies game.  Luckily, they will let you bring food into the stadium.  so -- any suggestions for non-messy type of snack that is Whole30 compliant that I could take?  I'm planning on eating right before we go to the game but it is a 90 minute drive from where I live.  Depending on the game, I could be way over the 4 hours.....  But then we can also eat on the way home so I'm hoping a smallish snack will suffice.  Or else I will live hungry for an hour or two and try not to become HANGRY!  :-)

Last, I wonder if I should try eliminating the nightshades too and do the autoimmune protocol.  I still have way too much joint pain.  But, no eggs?  EEK.  That will challenge my breakfast habits.  After 16 days of eggs for breakfast every day I confess, I still love eggs.  

Jamie

Jamie,

Sounds like your getting a workout to me. If you have the energy and strength to move all that water then I would say you are on track! I should be done with my w45 June 15th so I'm right there too :) What ever you may snack on make sure it's protein and fat IE: HB egg and nuts or cooked chicken and olives or tuna and avocado. Those would all be transportable. That's good that you are going to eat right before going in maybe you'll be having such a good time you won't think about eating but like you said watch that 4 hour mark! I eliminated nightshades but not the whole autoimmune protocol~not so sure. I'm sorry I could live off eggs alone, I LOVE THEM!! Always have, always will. With the nightshades, peppers are in lots of things too like Miki said, salsa, tomato sauce, paprika is in lots of premixed spices. I went though my spice cupboard and had to put aside prolly 1/3 of my spices.  :( herbs and spices are what makes eating whole30 fun!

Good Luck, it helps to think ahead.  :P

Hiya 5/5 ers I am still here lurking just not finding the time to post :) good to hear you are still all going well.

I am not going so well, I ate some vegetables at a friends place last night that he made a bit of a fuss about not wanting to tell me his "secret" recipe but assured me had no dairy, gluten or soy on them. But even as I ate a few I knew. After he went and checked oh oopse gluten AND soy, awesome :(

Soooo extending or starting over, meaning staying 100% compliant through my birthday and a 4wd trip away, not going to happen. I am going to continue for 30 days but sadly this no longer "counts" as my 2nd whole30. I am anxious and sad today and my belly feels a little yucky but whether that is from the gluten the soy or just generally being disappointed who knows.

Making chicken wrapped in procuttio and cooking in home made tomato passatta, so that is something to be happy about :)

Miki - When I have meetings I TAKE water with me. My meetings are long, boring, and center around the evilest depths of junk food hell! We have one woman (Susan) who could be a professional cook who brings in EVERYTHING! One meeting she brought in enough enchiladas for 20 people! 20 PEOPLE! She is also the one that brings in 4 dozen donuts on Thursdays and is known to bring in a meat/cheese/crab dip platter on other days. This is not to forget the normal meetings that are splattered with bagels, donuts, cookies, or pizza! People even bring in the large plastic containers (Sam's club, BJ's, Costco) of pretzels, cheese balls, party mix! And then there is the endless supply of coffee, tea, sodas and.......................................................................................water. And then everyone meets after work for "Thirsty Thursday" to wash the dirty work taste out of their mouths. (Note to self....kill Susan!)

But I am on to their games and fight back quietly with........my.........................................................water! And I always sign up for my Master's courses on .................................Thursday...so I always have an excuse why I cant go have drinks.

Everyone of us has the ability to make excuses why we should eat garbage or why we shouldn't. It's up to us to make that decision. For some of us on here it is easier than others. Some will find positive benefits from this program early which will help to motivate them and propel them forward. Others will notice very little to this point and will question why they are even attempting this at all. Struggling with not succeeding might make some start to cheat which will only drive them to completely quit on the program and themselves. Some might have been defeated before they even started since too many diets have been tried and failed in the past.

How many have friends or relatives who already KNOW you are going to fail? Those that have seen you perk up for the latest and greatest new diet craze only to watch you fizzle out when it got .......hard?

BUT...that's not happening to this group! This group continues to march on, winning small battles, gaining momentum, knowing this will grow into a giant victory! 

Clothes are getting looser, sleep is being slept, wheat grass is being........still overlooked......(but thought about), aches are going away, cravings are becoming extinct, dreams are getting.......a little weird at times, junk food is being ignored, ..............WE ARE MAKING OUR OWN MAYO PEOPLE! And what is right around the corner? A healthier you, thinner, stronger, focused, wearing whatever you want, eating right, breathing/sleeping/walking/bending/climbing/jumping/running/swimming/hugging....BETTER!

It's not who you are that holds you back...it's who you think you aren't! Now go kick some ass!

Dave

Kage,  I'm convinced to do a perfect whole 30, you have to be in control of the food you eat. Everytime I eat at a restaurant, even though I ask the questions, I feel poorly immediately after. This evening I had a hot date with my favorite 97 year old. He wanted Mexican and I thought no problem. they bake their carnitas (don't fry it) I had it served on a beautiful bed of lettuce and cabbage, with a dollop of guac. I put salsa on for dressing.  about half way through I felt sickeningly full and then my sinuses stuffed up and my knuckles felt painful and my hands were stiff. That either means there was something questionable in the guacamole or that I have a strong tomato reaction at this point.

Dave, You are priceless, you should be a motivational speaker (or a comedian). You have a will of steal, I thought our meetings were bad...sheesh.

Okay you eastcoasters...you're long since in bed and that is where I'm headed.

Have a great night...or morning.

hugs

MamaMiki

Kage,  I'm convinced to do a perfect whole 30, you have to be in control of the food you eat. Everytime I eat at a restaurant, even though I ask the questions, I feel poorly immediately after. This evening I had a hot date with my favorite 97 year old. He wanted Mexican and I thought no problem. they bake their carnitas (don't fry it) I had it served on a beautiful bed of lettuce and cabbage, with a dollop of guac. I put salsa on for dressing.  about half way through I felt sickeningly full and then my sinuses stuffed up and my knuckles felt painful and my hands were stiff. That either means there was something questionable in the guacamole or that I have a strong tomato reaction at this point.

There could have also been something in the meat's seasonings, any oils they might have used, or in the salsa.  It's tricky to have compliant Mexican food. 

Donna,Marita,Auburn, Miki, and JL Mathis - you gals are doing awesome, keep up the good work!

Kage -I am sorry to hear about the food you ate but it is a small stumble and nothing to give up over. Dust yourself off, learn from your mistake, replace your friend with a "sugar free" one and move on towards success!

Today is "somebody that i don't know is leaving or just arriving or something" day at work because there is a ginormous sheet cake with butter cream icing sitting at the end of the hall. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD PEOPLE! Maybe they will celebrate my weight loss........with a HUGE FREAKING CAKE!

Remember when I asked if you have people in your lives that try to defeat you or know you are going to fail? Right before I went home yesterday a co-worker said that it looked like I was gaining the weight back. uh....RUDE! Anyway, I politely told her that I have not (haven't been weighing but I am confident I'm not)and that it might look like my clothes are more snug rather than "hanging" off of me since I am wearing two sizes smaller. It still pissed me off though! When I finally did get home (830ish?) I told my wife about it and she asked me if I thought it was true. I then proceeded, without unfastening, to slide my new, two sizes smaller slacks, down my waist and legs......................... WITH THE BELT STILL ON! Gaining weight my foot!

Never doubt for a second that this is not working! Everyday that you eat ....just BETTER....maybe not W30 perfect yet........JUST BETTER......you are changing your body! The diet you start today is the body you will have next month....and the month after! I read that a pound of fat is 3500 calories. If you burn 500 calories more every day for a week than you consume, you will lose a pound per week! It's not magic! I know a pound a week is boring and slow but it's progress in the right direction. "Even if you are going slow on the track, you are still lapping the people sitting on the couch!" (another great quote)

Have a great day! I'm going to go find out who the Satanic co-worker was that brought in the cake!

P.S. -I did run into a former co-worker yesterday who asked me how much I had lost. I was stunned that he noticed and he said it was very noticeable! I proudly stated...34 pounds...and still going!

Dave

Good Morning Everyone!

Well ..... are we really onto Day 17..... Day 17   :D over half way there!

I must say this is the first time that I have stuck to anything.... without a little cheating, one little chocolate covered almond....... one little swig of something (or a nice glass of wine, or a nice cold beer) other than coffee , tea or water ........  no cream in my coffe not even a little ........

Last night was the first night that I was a tad hungry and a little tired..... a little out of the norm for the past two weeks and I thought WHY ?

Figured it out, in the morning my two eggs have been X-large previous to the last couple of days but I found that I was going through so much eggs so I bought double the amount (different packaging) but then realized that the eggs were only large, who would have thought that would have made such a big difference..... so this morning I had three eggs instead of my usual two hopefully this will work. As I am still tired this morning, or maybe the BLAHS are setting in ........

I have not ventured out to any restaurants and have re-scheduled a couple of lunch dates with girlfriends to when I have completed my WHOLE30, I know that I could eat out successfully but I really want to do this and not have any oops. So I would rather re-schedule than take a chance.... I think when I do start to venture out, the restaurants that I do go to I will look closely at the menu's and ask questions for the next time that I do the Whole30....  already talking about a next time ... LOL !

I have been really lucky to not have any medical issues that some of you are describing, I truly hope that eating this way really clears up some of your medical issues! :wacko: And you all begin to feel GREAT !

Keep on trucking everyone, I enjoy reading your comments and everything helps to make me more aware of all the mishaps that are out there, things that I may not have thought of!

Today is "somebody that i don't know is leaving or just arriving or something" day at work because there is a ginormous sheet cake with butter cream icing sitting at the end of the hall. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD PEOPLE! Maybe they will celebrate my weight loss........with a HUGE FREAKING CAKE!

Remember when I asked if you have people in your lives that try to defeat you or know you are going to fail? Right before I went home yesterday a co-worker said that it looked like I was gaining the weight back. uh....RUDE! Anyway,

OMG.................................. very rude indeed Dave, it amazes me that people would even say that even if you were gaining weight....... well she should do the Whole30 and hopefully the HAPPY feeling would kick in for her!

Your work group sure brings in alot of food. I guess the difference is that I work with about 140 people and 130 of them are male, so we hardly have any food brought in and they have cut out the donuts and such at meetings! Cost cutting measures, which is fine with me!

But a 'HUGE FREAKING CAKE', still looks tempting but be strong, you are seeing amazing results!

Wow...Dave...I'm so glad you ran in to that former co-worker and got that positive lift! I started working from home almost 3 years ago, but when I was in the office it was so like yours Dave! We had "goodie days" all the time and none of it healthy. Just by working from home, I dropped 30 lbs without even trying in the first two years. Now every time I go to the office people notice that my weight has been going down...I try to go into the office once a quarter since it is good for my ego :D .

I'm having a lot of stress right now but am staying compliant. My dad had to go into the hospital yesterday which was an unexpected curve ball, that led me to trying to throw together dinner for myself and my son at the last minute and eating late. I ate so quickly I don't think I tasted my Asian meatballs and cauliflower rice. Then because I ate quickly, I ate too much for the first time in 18 days and felt miserably full instead of just satisfied. Next time I find myself in that situation I'll try to snack on a handful of nuts or cucumber slices while I'm cooking.

@Dave...have you ever coached any sports teams for your kids? Your inspirational quotes and humor reminds me of my favorite swim coach growing up. :)

Auburn - surprise! I am your old swim coach! Well, not really. I used to coach basketball for 8-9 year olds but no matter how hard I yelled at them, they REFUSED to dunk! Lazy brats!

I am a retired Navy Senior Chief Petty Officer and was very good at yelling at people. I qualified for the Olympics in Yelling but pulled a throat muscle at the World Finals and had to give up my dream. I retired from the sport and haven't yelled since. My wife actually likes me again. Go have a great day! NOW!

Dave

Good Morning 5/5s,

Wow, a lot of input this am, I like it!

Chris thank you for your input. Today is only one restaurant meeting and I get to pick it, an suggestions? I was hoping anywhere with a shrimp salad, and I'll just have them hold the dressing and add avocado. I must say (Dave, don't yell at me) it is hard to watch everyone eating the basket of chips or bread and not participate...call me weak.

Donna, You're doing great, keep up the good work.

Auburn, I hope your dad is okay.

Last night before Mexican, I at some left over chicken apple sausage and with a glass or two of water, that got me past the chip basket (with a lot of mental chatter) and into the salad. 

This week I'm most excited about how full I get and how fast I get there. It is literally amazing for me because I am a volume eater. I haven't been exercising, so that could be a part of it.

Dave, I honestly thought we had the worst office for food mayhem, but alas I was wrong, wrong, wrong. Always intrigued by human folly, I'm most interested in your coworker's comment. If she believed it to be true, it would be rude and hurtful (did you yell at her once, during your training?), but we're reasonably confident since you're 34 pounds down, are not, then why did she say it? Is she jealous? Was her scale up today? Did you snub the slab of cake she brought in? Are you getting to handsome and she has a crush on you (you know, how 1st graders slug each other to get their attention?)...Oh well, we'll just have to let her live with that bad behavior. You keep up the good work. The belted pants sliding off without being unbuckled, says it all!

GREAT GREAT DAY KIDS>

MamaMiki

Mini - no I did not yell at her. She is always complementing me (usually) about how baggy my clothes are. She is currently pregnant (pretty confident its not mine) and her hormones and personal weight gain have given her a reprieve. I have always been handsome (not conceited, I'm just CONVINCED) but have been hiding it behind 50 pounds of gross. But now its only 16 pounds of gross.........getting there. Besides, I might be overweight but I can lose weight. Her ugly goes all the way to the bone.........just kidding, that was mean....just kidding!

Dave

@mamamiki a safe choice is to find a steak or seafood restaurant that offers grilled shrimp, then you can just ask them to hold the seasoning to be on the safe side. Check out the menus online before you go!

Check out these links:

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Dining-Guide.pdf

http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/9-travel-and-dining-out/

Hi Everyone! 
I had fun catching up with everyone's posts...this is such a great group. Feels a little like summer camp, I'm getting kind of sad it's coming to an end! 

Jamie and Marita- I'm super excited to weigh myself too, I have to know as well, even though after that I'm pretty sure I'll be putting my scale back in the closet! 

I'm thinking about just extending my whole30 by 3 days to cover the uncompliant rotisserie chicken I had and then starting the reintroduction. I'm really anxious about trying to stick to whole30 when I'm staying with my 2 sets of inlaws and I don't want to add any more stress to the visit, honestly. If I'm doing the reintroduction I'll be mostly whole30 anyways, but I won't be grieved if I accidentally have sugar or butter... 

But if I do that, I'll still want to do another whole30 fairly soon after that... I've learned so much this time I feel like I could do so much better next time. 

Things that I can definitely stick with post whole30- coconut milk (and no sugar) in my coffee! Eggs for breakfast (but maybe switch up sweet potatoes for white once in a while or make frittatas that include noncompliant sausage or cheese...).

Larabars in the diaper bag for emergencies (instead of trying to find fast food that won't make me sick...), Rotisserie chickens on nights I don't want to cook, and definitely can stop buying dark chocolate and wine! Turns out, I don't need "a little something" after dinner every night. 

I'm wearing insane (I have weird style) vintage high-waisted red wranglers that I fell in love with and bought years ago and have only fit into a few times (in my life). Definitely haven't worn them since before I had my baby, so that feels like a non-scale success.

Dave- sounds like that coworker was j-e-a-l-o-u-s to me.

Auburngal Sorry to hear about your dad, I hope he recovers quickly. Sounds like you're doing so well and I loved your tips! Wish I could get my hands on some compliant bacon. 

Miki- I'm sorry about the mexican restaurant, I think my willpower is too weak to be near a basket of chips.

I totally SKIPPED my twin sister's (I am not a twin, I'm the younger sister) birthday lunch at an Indian Buffet because I didn't think I'd find anything compliant and just end up with a plate of paneer and naan. They were very understanding and tried to think of somewhere compliant we could go but I just would rather eat at home. 

Let's see.....my whole family, except for the toddler is doing the Whole 30.  I think we all have different issues.  I'm the meal planner and cook, so even if my husband grills I'm in charge of what that looks like.  So, I'm a little tired of that.  My daughter used to eat waffles every morning, with peanut butter.  Now I've been making a fritatta the night before.  Everyone eats that.  Mostly everyone is happy with the results.  I have been weighing myself, y'all can kick me out :)  I made my daughter weigh herself cause I don't want her losing weight.  And she hardly eats any of the starchy carbs cause she hates those kind of carbs.  She eats fruit.  Probably more than she should, but whatever.  She's 13 and doing this diet, so she can have more fruits.

My husband is a sweet tooth and I think he's in the swing of things.  

I want to murder ALL THE THINGS.  Well, yesterday.  I haven't murdered anyone today, but the day is young.  :)  Just kidding btw, don't send cops.  

It's weird, cause I don't actually want junk, I just want something.  I mean, I used to smoke, then I guess I ate.....So am I looking to fill a void?  I dunno.

I have been weighing myself, y'all can kick me out :)

i know you think this is cute or whatever, but not weighing yourself is not a joke. It's not a throw-away part of the plan, it is a real rule.

Weighing yourself makes you focus on the wrong things, gives you false information about your progress and generally takes a lot of the "magic" out of the plan. The scale makes most people second-guess hunger cues, eating more or less based on what it says instead of learning to really read what their own hunger/body/metabolism/energy is telling them. Weighing yourself is not an option on the whole30. Weighing yourself is simply not allowed full stop.

I want to be supportive, and doing this doesn't make you a bad person, it just means you aren't doing the whole30, and I'm pretty sure you came here to do the whole30  :) .

ps. 13-year olds and kids can have as much fruit as they want, IMO. good for you bringing the family along.

@monicav...that is a great observation you made about filling the void.

Since I started this program I have realized all the snacking I did, not because I'm hungry, but because that is what I've always done. When I was a child I was diagnosed with ADHD, my parents and I never wanted me to be medicated so I worked with a teacher who was also a behavior therapist. One way of focusing my mind was to hand me a bag of cheerios. By snacking mindlessly on something I was able to better focus on the task at hand. That has carried over to adulthood for me. I was snacking in the evening while watching tv because it was easier to focus. Now...fast forward to day 18 of the program and instead of snacking I am marching in place during my evening shows allowing me to add steps to my daily goal on my fitbit, exercise, and substitute a healthy habit for what I needed.

@bluegrass_mama...Congrats! Those pants sound awesome and I'm sure they make you feel awesome too!

I love that we are all already talking about our next whole30! I am going backpacking with my son in July and have already started researching paleo and whole30 backpacking meals. I know that with all of these positive changes I'm making it would be a miserable trip if I ate standard MRE's!

Well, Miss Mary, guess I'm doing a fake Whole30.  I know from previous restrictive diets that I wouldn't have lasted this long without the encouragement of the scale.  If that means that I failed at the Whole30, then I failed.

Well, Miss Mary, guess I'm doing a fake Whole30.  I know from previous restrictive diets that I wouldn't have lasted this long without the encouragement of the scale.  If that means that I failed at the Whole30, then I failed.

What if the scale wasn't encouraging you? What other positives have you gained from Whole30? Do you know? This program is not designed to be a weight loss program. Many people do lose weight but the goal of this program is to change your relationship with food and part of that is temporarily breaking up with the scale. I personally waited 3 months after going Paleo to do a Whole30 because I wasn't ready to give up my scale yet. I followed a lot of the principles and some of the guidelines but I didn't declare I was doing a Whole30 until I was ready to be all in. You don't really know the power of your resolve until you really try.

All that said you have not failed at a Whole30...you have not really started one yet. You are eating Whole30 style and that will take you a long way. We can't make you follow all the rules, that is up to you. But we can ask you not to flaunt rule breaking in the forum. 

Some additional reading on the scale that I found helpful when making my own decision to break up:

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts/

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

http://whole9life.com/2012/03/5-reasons-to-break-up-with-your-scale/

http://whole9life.com/2012/08/new-health-scale/

What positives have I gained....I've noticed things about me and food.  I've noticed I stress eat.  When my toddler is driving me crazy, the idea of getting fast food is so lovely.  Also, I like convenience.  At the end of a rough week ordering pizza and having a glass of wine is far more attractive than sweet potato and kale and whatever meat I throw in there.  I eat mindlessly.  I grab food when making it for my daughter and eat it.  Probably way to much of it.  Physically, I don't feel a heck of a lot different.  It's much harder to get out of bed and I'm highly irritated with people.  My stomach and face are thinner.  Not sure if I'm allowed to use visual tracking like looking at a picture of myself before and thinking, I look skinnier.  

I guess the weight thing seems arbitrary.  Like I can look in the mirror and tell my stomach is flatter, but I can't measure to see exactly how much skinnier?  

My husband has high blood pressure, is he allowed to measure that?  Cause that was one reason we started the diet.  I'm fat, that's one reason I started.  If I wasn't fat, I probably wouldn't have started the diet.  I know it's not a weight loss program per se, but if I was skinny there wouldn't have been much reason to start it.   

What positives have I gained....I've noticed things about me and food.  I've noticed I stress eat.  When my toddler is driving me crazy, the idea of getting fast food is so lovely.  Also, I like convenience.  At the end of a rough week ordering pizza and having a glass of wine is far more attractive than sweet potato and kale and whatever meat I throw in there.  I eat mindlessly.  I grab food when making it for my daughter and eat it.  Probably way to much of it.  Physically, I don't feel a heck of a lot different.  It's much harder to get out of bed and I'm highly irritated with people.  My stomach and face are thinner.  Not sure if I'm allowed to use visual tracking like looking at a picture of myself before and thinking, I look skinnier.  

I guess the weight thing seems arbitrary.  Like I can look in the mirror and tell my stomach is flatter, but I can't measure to see exactly how much skinnier?  

My husband has high blood pressure, is he allowed to measure that?  Cause that was one reason we started the diet.  I'm fat, that's one reason I started.  If I wasn't fat, I probably wouldn't have started the diet.  I know it's not a weight loss program per se, but if I was skinny there wouldn't have been much reason to start it.   

Weight isn't arbitrary, but it isn't the best indicator of health. It fluctuates wildly for reasons that have little to do with actual body fat percentages. Looking at yourself in the mirror and seeing how your clothing fits are much more accurate ways to indicate positive changes in body composition. Measuring blood pressure is a much less arbitrary calculation and not mentioned in the rules. 

Plenty of people come to the Whole30 for lots of reason. Plenty of people are "skinny" but not healthy. 

Your energy levels and mood say more to me than any of the rest and at this point in the program could indicate that you are not eating enough in general and possibly not enough starchy vegetables. That is the kind of thing the scale can't tell you. What is more important? Feeling energetic and steady with slow changes to your body composition or a number on the scale? I've not lost a whole heck of a lot of weight eating this way but my body composition has changed and I feel so much more healthy and alive. 

Archived