Needing to go further than W30, but lost as to what to do

I have done five, and I'm now on my sixth Whole30. A couple of those were actually considerably longer than 30 days, too. And, I have gone many months of my life eating Whole30 except being loose about sugar in bacon.

I feel like I'm in the boat of trying the same thing over and over, but expecting different results. My problem is that the Whole30 gets me most of the way to where I would like to be, but something is clearly not lining up, and I'm positive it is an issue with my diet.

The biggest problem is my sugar cravings never really go away and I wind up eating sugar again, which is a total disaster for me. I get horribly depressed with sugar and eat it like I'm an addict. There is no moderation. So, I have to get totally off the sugar. It is starting to affect my family life in a very negative way that I can't get this under control. I also have many food allergies and sensitivities, and so eating clean paleo is really the best way for me to go. But, this sugar thing is killing me.

Here's where I feel lost: there are so many options as to what one should do to optimize their diet. Should I investigate low fodmap? Should I reduce my carb intake (I do eat an average of 2 sweet potatoes plus 1-2 servings of fruit a day, at meals/PWO only)? Should I be eating AIP because I have an autoimmune issue and still have some digestive problems and acne, even after W30? I tried AIP for two weeks and didn't seem to notice a difference when I started eating nightshades/nuts again. (I'm allergic to eggs). I haven't lost much weight ever doing W30 either, even when I did manage to stick to one sweet potato a day. Maybe that is a sign that something isn't aligned yet?

This is a case of reading too much and getting lost as to what to actually try. I currently have a lot of stress on my plate, but even when I haven't, I still had these same issues. I quit sugar for over 5 months once and never stopped craving it enough to stay away in the end. Of everything, I just want the sugar cravings to stop. What would you, who reads this, suggest?

• Moderators

You need a coach. Poke around on the Whole30/Whole9 websites and find the link to consulting services. Make contact and spend some time talking to an expert and getting customized advice.

Here are a few random thoughts too:

Unless you are exercising 7-14 hours per week, you are probably undermining real progress by eating two sweet potatoes plus 2 servings of fruit per day. Some starchy veggies are good, but you are probably in excess. This may have something to do with your persistent sugar cravings.

Two weeks on the AIP is not long enough to make judgments of its value. 

Never eating nuts is a good idea when you have any digestive issues and want to lose weight. 

Big props on six Whole30s!

How do you feed your sugar cravings (when you do)? I used to drink mine in a two-can-a-day Coke habit. What has helped me (so far) is not just avoiding the Coke itself, but also anything that leads me to Coke, such as juices, sweetened tea, even sugar in my coffee. You're right that in some things there is no moderation, so I try not to take even the slightest step in the direction that leads me down that slippery slope.

Tom, I am on day 25 and was weighed at the doc. I am down 6.6 and was a bit discouraged. I eat two fruit servings a day but I think the nuts may be a problem. Can you reco healthy fats that might be a better option? Thx

Tom, I am on day 25 and was weighed at the doc. I am down 6.6 and was a bit discouraged. I eat two fruit servings a day but I think the nuts may be a problem. Can you reco healthy fats that might be a better option? Thx

I'm concerned that being down 6.6 lbs in 25 days is discouraging unless you don't want to lose weight. That is an average of about 3 lbs a week which is more than fine. 

As far as healthy fats there are tons of options to nuts. Check out the fats section of the shopping list and use the template to get the right portions at meals. 

Not an expert by any means but have you thought that pehaps you have a candida (or some other yeast/fungus/mold) overgrowth? Makes you crave sugar like mad and even the best willpower can't fight biology. Nuts, most fruits, and orange veggies feed yeast. I think I have it and Honestly I'm more than a little lost with how to incorporate carbs while keeping the yeast feeders out whilst in a whole30.

If you can afford it, I think a coach or naturopath or quality DO (beware most are like minded to MDs) or integrative medicine practicioner could help you out a lot. While you wait, up your garlic, coconut oil, ginger and get some lacto-fermented sauerkraut (Bubbies and Wildbrine are two brands I've seen around southern NJ) and cut out nuts, and try to go for lower sugar fruits like berries, and limit your orange veggies (carrots, sweet potato, squashes).

I've read on other forums that it can take a LONG time to rebalance your flora especially if you have loads of toxins in your system (heavy metals, parasites, etc)

Hope this helps. Just my opinion and I'm sure moderators/others can assist you further. Good luck!

I'm concerned that being down 6.6 lbs in 25 days is discouraging unless you don't want to lose weight. That is an average of about 3 lbs a week which is more than fine. 

As far as healthy fats there are tons of options to nuts. Check out the fats section of the shopping list and use the template to get the right portions at meals. 

Thanks Physibeth, the problem was that the weight loss stalled out after about day 5. (we are not supposed to weigh but that was an addiciton for another whole 30). I was able to move the needle again. Finished at 8.6 lbs. Very happy. 25% to goal- plenty of other benefits.

• Moderators

I agree with Nightingale that it might be worth cutting out fruit and starchy veg for a limited trial period to see how that affects you. Not being able to slay the sugar dragon speaks to larger issues and the only way to kill that sucker is to starve it.

Thanks Physibeth, the problem was that the weight loss stalled out after about day 5. (we are not supposed to weigh but that was an addiciton for another whole 30). I was able to move the needle again. Finished at 8.6 lbs. Very happy. 25% to goal- plenty of other benefits.

See now this is why the scale addiction is important though. I'm not at all surprised you "stalled out" about day 5. Assuming this way of eating is drastically different than it was before that first 5 days is a lot of water weight and inflammation loss. 8.6 lbs is a stellar loss for 30 days. I would certainly advice you to do another Whole30 with no scale so you can realize all the other amazing benefits without being distracted by that number.

Archived