ALL I WANT IS A BOSTON CREAM DONUT

So I have a love for donuts. A big big love. Chocolate cream filled and Boston cream specifically... and I'm salivating as I type those words. My boyfriend and I have gone from a JUNK lifestyle to day 18 today of our whole30 and I've had another larabar binge... I could cry right now. It happened a couple of weeks ago, too... Pre-whole30 I would get home from work, be starving while waiting for my boyfriend to get home, and want a reward for finishing the day. So I'd shovel junk. Now this time of day is when the cravings hit at their worst. I had thrown larabars away after the incident two weeks ago but loaded up another emergency stash yesterday since I have been feeling better... MISTAKE!!! Got home today and I was DREAMING about a Boston cream donut. Tea didn't help and I wanted to hold off until dinner but next thing I knew I shoved two apple pie larabars down my throat. I'm just really frustrated that I can tough out graduate school for crying out loud but I can't be within 300 yards of a larabar. I feel like I'm sabotaging my results despite all if the really hard work we're putting in and I'll never kick my cravings - I NEEDED sweet. I know others have said to try a mini meal of fat and protein to bust a craving but I just couldn't stomach olives and a hard boiled egg when I wanted dunkin donuts. Sigh.

• Moderators

Hang in there. I can't keep Larabars around, either, or I just scarf them down, especially if I'm tired or stressed. It is true that the more you deny those cravings for sweets, the easier it gets to deny them -- but those first few (or maybe dozens of) times making yourself not have something sweet when that's really all you want are hard.

Don't stress about it. Just do the best you can -- and avoid buying Larabars. I know when I started my first W30, I had this fear of being out and about and not having anything compliant to eat, so I bought the Larabars to have for emergencies. When I finally realized I couldn't have them around and just quit buying them, I realized I'm almost never in one of those emergency situations with no food around, so I didn't really need them. Hopefully that will be the case for you and you can just not bring them home at all.

• Moderators

I used to travel with a bag of almonds in my car in case I found myself starving somewhere. I don't get hungry like I did in the old days, but I would keep a bag of macadamia nuts in my car nowadays if I was worried about needing emergency foods. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Are you eating enough earlier in the day?  I'm a binge eater (still working on that) and W30 helped tremendously.  I routinely used to "save" calories for dessert.  It was my "treat" for just surviving the day I guess.  I always did it intentionally (calorie counting wise) but it took the W30 to show me how mental it was - and how much of a habit it was.  And just like any habit, you have to white knuckle it a bit in the beginning.  BUT I found that by really eating to the template helped.  Since my 750 calorie desserts were to be no more, I intentionally ate that much more during the day.  Thus it was doubly easy to resist in the evening - I had eaten enough calories AND I really wasn't hungry.  Now, just so Tom doesn't get mad... I wasn't counting calories during the W30 but I know enough about nutrition info to know that decent size portions of meat, 3-4 eggs, full fat coconut milk, avocados, etc was getting me in the range of 5-600 calorie per meal.  

You say you are waiting for your boyfriend and just too hungry.  If you are starving waiting for him I guess you have two options: eat more earlier or eat dinner without him.  Or a third I guess - workout.  This is actually when I workout because this is also my boredom eating time (though I'm not really hungry).  

I'm just really frustrated that I can tough out graduate school for crying out loud but I can't be within 300 yards of a larabar. I feel like I'm sabotaging my results despite all if the really hard work we're putting in and I'll never kick my cravings - I NEEDED sweet.

You know why grad school is easier than a Larabar? Because you don't have an emotional attachment to grad school like you do sweet things. If you're not willing to eat an egg, you're not really hungry, you're just appeasing your tastebuds.

Think about the times where you dive on the Larabar - are you feeling a certain way where in the past you would treat yourself with a doughnut, like after a tough day at work? Do you have really pleasant memories associated with the doughnut (eg. your first date with your boyfriend you got doughnuts or something) and your brain is thinking, doughnuts = happy?

As the others have said, the best option is to not have them around, and then it's just not a temptation. Carry a tin of tuna around for those just in case situations - because seriously, no-one's going to crack open a tin of tuna unless they're really hungry!

Archived