Day 22 discouraged, tired, grumpy, someone call the waaambulance!!

Day 18 & 19 I was dizzy and lightheaded which has subsided mostly, now I feel like I have gained weight, my clothes are tight. My muscles can barely handle easy yoga and I normally work out pretty hard. In the last 22 days I have barely been able to muster the energy to walk the dog. I eat protein and fats and veggies that's it, I don't want to add anything because I feel like I'm gaining weight and I will be bummed if I gain weight on this journey. I have lost 125 lbs and giving up the scale and trusting myself is NOT easy. Today I actually feel nauseous, and the only thing I'm depriving myself of that I am craving is corn (in season now!,) and potatoes and alcohol, but even that craving is subsiding dramatically.

I'm just frustrated, I'm trying so hard and it's difficult when u think u are doing everything right only to feel like a failure.

I have been eating mostly paleo for the last year so my prior diet was not all out of whack besides eating too much prior to my weight loss, I eat only organic foods and have my entire life (yay for hippie parents ;)

My belly feels bloated and I keep seeing pics online of everyone's amazing belly loss on whole30

Sorry

Like I said someone call the waaambulance

"Waaambulance," LOL.

It may sound counterintuitive, but maybe you're not eating enough? When the body feels deprived and stressed, it stores energy rather than release it -- which also might account for your symptoms of lack of energy.

Could you list a few days' worth of your meals (including amounts where possible), so people can see if that's the case? Or otherwise make suggestions to tweak your Whole30?

1. Baby back ribs (3)

Coleslaw with coconut dressing

Half an avocado

Coffee with coconut milk

2. Huge green salad with roasted cauliflower, asparagus and yams with chicken breast (4 oz) and half an avocado

Handful of cherries

Kombucha

3. Sweet potatoes

Roasted bells and onions

Coleslaw

Baby back ribs (6)

Day 2

Meal 1

2 hot dogs

Salad with tomato and avocado

Coffee with coconut milk

2. Yams

Salad (lettuce carrots arti hearts)

Asparagus (roasted)

Pulled pork (4-5oz)

Avo

Flat iron steak (5 oz)

Curried Sweet potato

Roasted veggies

I drink tons of water every day close to 3 liters

This is basically what I eat every day

Start cutting back on the salads!  Raw veg does cause bloating and stomach upset.  Also veggies that are considered Goitgotrens cause diggestive problems as well.  Especially cabbage, brocolli, and cauliflower.  Try to eat more cooked veg over raw and lay low on the cabbage family.

This is my 2nd W30 this year, first in feb.

My groceries prior to this year was mostly salads and meat with extremely limited fats and alcohol and pasta maybe once a month if that, it was pretty low carb, I weighed everything tracked everything and often felt hungry but now I've gained 12 lbs back and it is really hard to trust my body with no weighing my self And my food... I'm trying

I didn't understand your reference of having your tail feathers plucked when u mentioned weight loss? Please explain

• Moderators

Did you lose weight on your first W30 back in Feb.? Are you eating to satisfaction or past fullness?

Congrats on your tremendous weight loss thus far! Really wonderful and very impressive! Is it possible that it's reasonable for your weight loss to slow if not halt for a little while at this point? Are there other benefits you've discovered in eating this way that you can focus on instead?

It's taken me a long time to get friendly with my body and not punish it for taking its sweet time. And even now, on most days I have to conduct some pretty fierce self talk to get myself back into that friendliness. When I get to losing a little faith in W9, I remind myself that most people who lose weight quickly do so unhealthfully and gain it all back--and then some. I've looked to Moderators Tom and MissMary and their long-term journeys and slow weight loss for encouragement and guidance. This is a marathon and not a sprint. That's another part of my daily self talk. And I remember that I'm no longer at war with my body and that is the greatest gift of all.

This is my 2nd W30 this year, first in feb.

My groceries prior to this year was mostly salads and meat with extremely limited fats and alcohol and pasta maybe once a month if that, it was pretty low carb, I weighed everything tracked everything and often felt hungry but now I've gained 12 lbs back and it is really hard to trust my body with no weighing my self And my food... I'm trying

I didn't understand your reference of having your tail feathers plucked when u mentioned weight loss? Please explain

:mellow:

i should clarify..

I began my weight loss journey in January of 2011.  I weighed 280 lbs

by the end of the year i was down 100 lbs, through portion control, tracking, and being uber aware of what i was consuming.

in 2012 i lost another 30 lbs for a grand total of 130 lbs, i was down to 150 lbs, working out like a champ and obsessing over every morsel, my husband was pleased and not pleased at the same time, i wasn't that much fun to be around...i admit that

In 2013 i trained for a half marathon and ran it in august 150 pounds and feeling great, then i "rewarded" myself for the hardest thing i have ever done with a crazy hamburger that honestly unraveled me and led to months of rewards...by Christmas of 2013 i was up to 170

and had gained back 20 lbs :(

I did my first Whole30 in feb of 2014 and lost 6 lbs...at this point i am hovering around 165 and really wanting to get back to the 150 mark even though i am not sure it was that sustainable for me,i had to be SO STRICT to maintain that weight 

i would be happy at 155, or maybe i wouldn't, i don't know, the whole happiness with where i am right now is a true challenge of my existence.

i have done the slow and steady weight loss path, i have done it with portion control, exercise and eating healthy organic whole foods.

I do not intend to gain it all back, i will never let that happen

if i am being really honest, the biggest problem i have is with alcohol.  even though i only drink on special occasions (birthdays, parties as my friends, graduations etc..) those happen more frequently at this time of year, and i drink more than i should, and then struggle with food choices because i feel so terrible and then gain a few pounds and am so mean to myself, it is a vicious cycle!

I do the Whole 30 because i am great with structure and rigidity and RULES and once i set my head to do something, i do it!  and when i take on the Whole30 i at least know i will not drink for 30 days which will ultimately leave me in a better place no matter what...

i just struggle with the "fact" (i haven't weighed myself) that i may be gaining weight this time...

thank you all for your thoughts and input and suggestions..this is a great community and i am lucky to be a part of it!

You have put up such an epic fight against the scale these past years; I can't even imagine the willpower it took to lose 130 pounds over a couple of years. But here's the point of Whole30: it precisely offers the possibility that you can stop fighting so hard, that you can make your body your ally instead of something you have to keep whipping into shape.

From your meal plan, you seem to be doing very well in terms of keeping to the meal template. Is eating this way keeping you satiated and full? If so, great! If not, eat more! Whole30 is about liberation from deprivation. If you keep your body well fed with the good stuff, it will naturally come into a better hormonal and digestive rhythm, and you will settle into your set weight without the iron grip of portion control. But it takes time. (Moderator Tom Denham has said something like an average loss of 2 pounds a month is a good sustainable rate -- and don't worry too much about fluctuations from week to week. It's the long term arc that matters.)

You might also consider easing up a little on the workouts. Unless you're a serious athlete or competitor, past a certain point, physical activity is actually counterproductive, since it places undue stress in your body and disrupts further weight loss.

And most of all, please give yourself a little bit of a break. Just from reading your account, it seems to me that you have already achieved amazing things -- but that means your body has already been stretched to the limit. I think it -- and you -- just need time to heal.

These other folks have said it all, pretty much, so I've just got one more thing: when I look at your meals, they look a little skimpy on the protein. When you have something like baby back ribs, think of them as part fat and part protein. You might do well to add another leaner protein source to those meals (or vary your protein sources more in general).

Congrats on your success so far! Given time and patience this way of eating can be an incredible relief, lean into it.

GlennR your post brought tears to my eyes, you definitely hit a chord somewhere in me, i have been hearing from every direction in my life lately, give yourself a break...be nice to yourself, go easy on yourself

at work, at home, with my physical body challenges and goals, with my emotional challenges and goals..

sigh

its interesting how the same message can come in from so many different angles, even from folks i don't even know and my automatic response is so automatic i barely realize i am doing it...

i hear the words

think inside i know i know

and then immediately switch back to my habits of doing the exact opposite of what the universe is trying to teach me...

somewhere inside of me i must relate being hard on myself to success, i had to be so hard on myself to battle the weight i had gained.  i have had to be so hard and push myself so much to overcome the challenges i have had in life only to find success

i don't know whats its like to go easy on myself and get results, i don't know how to be kind to myself and not have that turn into "letting myself go..."

these are certainly my challenges at this stage of my life and deserve my attention and thought and change

i am appreciative to you all for mirroring for me what it is that is right in front of me that i am not able to see

enjoy this beautiful day

Archived