Hot Potato

GlenG

So, the recipe said 12-15 minutes for a baked sweet potato. At around 9 minutes I heard the plate explode went into the kitchen and saw the potato completely engulfed in flames. It totally burned down to ashes. So how long should a sweet potato take?post-46761-0-35919700-1403040530_thumb.j

Oh WOW that is scary. I have also just done white potatoes for a couple minutes like the other poster.

If you can tolerate doing some cooking in advance...throw a large batch in the oven for anywhere from 40-70 min, depending on how big they are. Put them in a covered dish in the fridge and you're good for the week. Reheated or cold, they are really good.

I microwave individual sweet potatoes all the time. Smallish ones take about 4 minutes total. Larger ones, 6-8 minutes total. I pierce them with a fork on both sides, and flip it over half-way through.

Yikes: sorry about your explosion.

I put my potato in a bowl with some water(just enough to cover the bottom) and cover it with a microwave lid and set the time for approx. 6 mins,(more or less depending on the size).  They come out great.   Another way I have done, is to put it into a ziplock bag with water to cover the potato and cook it for the same amount of time just make sure you leave a vent and place the bag in a bowl to catch the water.

Hope this helps.

Oh dear. My first thought was: How old was that recipe? Microwaves used to be weaker, so things took longer...

Glad no one was hurt and only the plate and potato were damaged.

I also just pierce them and then flip them every 2 minutes (or so)until theyr'e done. Thanks for sharing the photo -- sorry for the loss of your plate, but I kind of enjoy mishaps like this. I know I'm not alone with my learning curve.

Another option for cooking sweet potatoes is to roast them in your crock pot. Just put them in the crock pot with nothing else, don't even need to pierce the skin, set it on low for 8-10 hours. They are perfect and awesome.

A lot of recipes are for really old microwaves, which are about 600 watts, most modern ones are 1000 to 1200, so I generally halve or quarter any microwave times. You can always do more if it needs it.

I'm a big fan of the oven technique, but I have a big oven and a small microwave :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived