Help me hack this recipe

AmyS

This looks yummy http://www.food.com/recipe/famous-new-zealand-bacon-egg-pie-201918 (plus I've recently become enamoured of all things New Zealand).

I can find compliant bacon where I live, and obviously the eggs, onions, and parsley are in.  I figure I can sub compliant coconut milk for the cream.

I could bake this in muffin cups, right?  Or as a casserole?  I'm thinking I could serve with kale chips so I'd get the crisp/crackle from the puff pastry but without the, err, puffiness I'd get in my ankles from eating the actual puff pastry.

Is this reasonable?  How would you hack this recipe?  I'm not really much of a cook, more of a "build a template meal from random ingredients" person.

Anyway, g'day, choice, and sweet as!  And mostly ta!  :lol:

Hmm, as a Kiwi, I would say that it's not going to be the same without the pastry. And also, they appear to have forgotten the peas! Bacon and egg picnic pie needs peas!

You could totally do it as bacon and egg muffin cups, but it's just not going to be the same - it'll just be bacon and egg cups! If you're not Whole 30 at the moment, you could try some gluten free pastry, if that doesn't affect you.

Hmm, as a Kiwi, I would say that it's not going to be the same without the pastry. And also, they appear to have forgotten the peas! Bacon and egg picnic pie needs peas!

You could totally do it as bacon and egg muffin cups, but it's just not going to be the same - it'll just be bacon and egg cups! If you're not Whole 30 at the moment, you could try some gluten free pastry, if that doesn't affect you.

Yeah, I get that the pastry is integral to the original dish.  I hadn't considered trying gluten-free pastry when not Whole30ing - definitely something to think about.  I just wonder if I could get a similar flavor profile by working without the pastry - maybe add in some ghee or something?  Keep in mind that I've never had the original dish, so I don't really have a basis for comparison.  I imagine for you this might be something like if I tried to remake macaroni and cheese in a Whole30 fashion.  Hehe

Thanks for your input, it's nice to hear from someone who really knows!

This is going to sound bad, but for me, the only reason to eat B&E pie would be the pastry :).

On the contrary, I understand completely.  There are certain comfort food dishes that I wouldn't even try to Whole30-ize because the whole point of the dish is the most non-compliant ingredient. Hehe

• Moderators

This looks yummy http://www.food.com/recipe/famous-new-zealand-bacon-egg-pie-201918 (plus I've recently become enamoured of all things New Zealand).

I can find compliant bacon where I live, and obviously the eggs, onions, and parsley are in.  I figure I can sub compliant coconut milk for the cream.

I could bake this in muffin cups, right?  Or as a casserole?  I'm thinking I could serve with kale chips so I'd get the crisp/crackle from the puff pastry but without the, err, puffiness I'd get in my ankles from eating the actual puff pastry.

Is this reasonable?  How would you hack this recipe?  I'm not really much of a cook, more of a "build a template meal from random ingredients" person.

Anyway, g'day, choice, and sweet as!  And mostly ta!  :lol:

I would hack this by borrowing from (or just making) Nom Nom Paleo's Prosciutto-Wrapped Mini Frittatas. Heaven! Her iPad app and her cookbook Food For Humans are both top notch.

• 1 month later...

I think the bacon crust might be the closest I could come.  There is no Whole30 approved pastry, but post-Whole30 one could use a paleo pastry/dough recipe.  I'm not sure it would be flaky though.

I haven't tried it yet.  I think that since I've never had the original, I either need to make and taste the original sometime when I'm not Whole30ing, and then try to get the flavor/texure profile similar with Whole30 ingredients, or I need to just make it when I'm not Whole30ing.  Hehe

Duh! about the pastry, I should have realised that, sorry

Just make it when you're not whole30ing lol, its really a comfort food/treat anyway for some people. Let us know how you get on.

No worries.

I'll make it sometime outside of Whole30 and then I'll eat it while saying things like "choice" and "sweet as"

(I am also obsessed with Outrageous Fortune and bought a special DVD player so I could buy the whole series and watch it in the US.  So I may have to also make fish pie. Hehe)

it certainly won't be the same, but you could put crunchy/crispy sweet potato slices on top (don't cook with or they will go soggy).

You could also try (not-Whole30) putting a thin layer of a paleo bread mix on top and baking it.

I like the sweet potato slices idea, or even just white potatoes. 

I think I'm the only kiwi who can't stand bacon and egg pie! I love outrageous fortune tho :-)

I haven't tried the pie yet (waiting for the weather here in Hawaii to cool off a bit, it's ragin' hot right now), so I'll let you know if this American likes it later.  As for Outrageous Fortune, I can't imagine anyone not loving it - but I have yet to meet anyone local to me who is as obsessed with it as I am.  I'm like, Doctor Who fangirl level obsessed.  And I may or may not want to marry Robyn Malcolm.  :ph34r:  Or the actress who played Aurora (sobbing moment of silence).

I'm a Kiwi who has made a million b and e pies. 

Edmonds all the way. 

I say forget the pastry! It will be just as yum without it!

Bacon, eggs, some parsley, some coconut milk, bake it up, will be spectacular. 

Agree, peas would be nice or some onions too. 

You MUST have with compliant ketchup! Required!

I was thinking about Top of the Lake, but the subject matter might keep me up all night.  At least, with Outrageous Fortune, it's all so, well, OUTRAGEOUS that I can laugh.  Especially at Munter. And Van.  And sometimes Pascalle.  And Ted!

Archived