restless nights

I wasn't sure where to post this...but the last two nights have been restless...with almost no sleep for me. I wondered if this is something normal with my body going through changes? Is anyone going through this...or had gone through this? Any tips, etc.? Thanks!

I ended up getting 6-6.5 hours of sleep...which is getting back to my normal 7-8 hours. I take 150mg. of magnesium every evening before bed...and take been for some time before starting the program. I see many people talking about upping salt intake as with not consuming packaged/processed foods...I may not be getting enough. Another consideration I thought about...because I was feeling great after starting the program last week...I stopped taking my natural Thyroid (Armour Thyroid) medication. I am not thinking I made a wise decision, so I started taking it again this morning. I am also not sure I am consuming enough starchy vegetables. I have Hoshimoto's. I also have intestinal permeability. I also have been dealing with a few things with my daughter. Should I post my daily meals so I can make sure I am getting adequate nutrition? Any other helpful suggestions?

I've been having a really hard time falling asleep too. it isn't that I can't sleep at all, just that it takes me forever to fall asleep.  in the morning I am a zombie because I am getting 2-3 hours less sleep than I am used to.  I don't have any of the medical issues outdorsgrl mentioned but I am wondering if it is a hormonal adjustment of some sort? I don't feel hungry when I go to bed but I have been trying to adhere to the not eating for 2 hours prior to bed  guideline and am definitely eating less carbs.  I am on day 5.  any thoughts?  did it get better for you outdorsgrl?  I remember sleeping like a baby after about week two during my last clean eating transition. maybe I just need to be patient?

I'm having the same problem falling asleep. I try to eat my third meal around 7:00 and include some carbs with it, but I am still having a difficult time sleeping. I'm on day 5, but I've been eating paleo for three weeks.

I am on day 8 and for the last 2 nights I can't sleep at all.  I wake up feeling like I got maybe an hour of sleep.  Everyone keeps telling me to take a sleep aid but I don't want to do that since i'm pretty sure the point of this program is to get your body in a natural rhythm.  But I can hardly function i'm so tired!!

Some suggestions for you all:

Many people go very low carb when they initailly come to the whole 30.  This may give you problems from anywhere from bathroom issues (not going) to bloating, discomfort, aaaaaand - not sleeping well. So adding a starchy veg to one meal a day could be very beneficial.

Sometimes not sleeping is just your hormones adjusting.  And yes it is crappy, and yes it sucks but sometimes you need to go through it.  But it shouldn't last for more than a couple of days.

Magnesium supplement greatly helps before you go to bed. the brand Natural Calm (unflavoured) is the one recommended around these parts.  What also helps is sleepy time tea, or any tea with mint, ginger, or chamomile.  All have calming effects on your system.

Try to turn off all eletronic devices at least an hour before bed. 

This might seem odd but nuts and dried fruit may contibute to starring at the ceiling in the middle of the night.  I am to the point where I can't eat any nuts if I want to sleep well.  I find it a bit strange but it is what I discovered about my body.

I am on Day 14, and I have not slept well since I started the whole 30.  I used to be an excellent sleeper.  Head hit the pillow and I was out and didn't wake up till morning, averaging 8-9 hours of sleep a night.

Now, I am lucky to get 5 hours and it is not solid sleep.  I take forever to fall asleep and I am restless all night…

I take magnesium close to bedtime, eat 3-4 hours before bed, increased my starchy carb intake, I am walking, biking, jogging at least 5-15km a day (which I haven't done the last two days as I don't have the energy).

So, it looks like the one thing I haven't tried is increasing my salt intake.  I will give that a go, but not sure that salt is going to be the magic answer.  I have been doing great thus far on the whole30, not really suffering any terrible effects, but the last two days I have struggled with headaches and grumpiness, but I really think its all the sleep I am missing.  I don't really get why it is affecting my sleep so much…..any thoughts???

I am on Day 14, and I have not slept well since I started the whole 30.  I used to be an excellent sleeper.  Head hit the pillow and I was out and didn't wake up till morning, averaging 8-9 hours of sleep a night.

Now, I am lucky to get 5 hours and it is not solid sleep.  I take forever to fall asleep and I am restless all night…

I take magnesium close to bedtime, eat 3-4 hours before bed, increased my starchy carb intake, I am walking, biking, jogging at least 5-15km a day (which I haven't done the last two days as I don't have the energy).

So, it looks like the one thing I haven't tried is increasing my salt intake.  I will give that a go, but not sure that salt is going to be the magic answer.  I have been doing great thus far on the whole30, not really suffering any terrible effects, but the last two days I have struggled with headaches and grumpiness, but I really think its all the sleep I am missing.  I don't really get why it is affecting my sleep so much…..any thoughts???

Are you able to post a couple of days meals here?  I might help people trouble shoot for you. 

Hi Carlaccini.  Here are some daily meals.  the last 3 are from day 11-13.  Thanks for looking them over!

B:sweet potato/zucchini hash, two eggs over easy, olives , red pepper

l: leftover salmon steak with mango avocado (olive oil) salsa on a bed of lettuce, cucumber and broccoli

D: leftover Moroccan meatballs with guocamole and cooked green beans and brocolli

B: salmon cakes, red pepper, lettuce with avocado, 1/2 cup berries

L: Morrocan meatballs, leek and kale soup avocado and olives

D: mango and avocado salsa with i can of salmon, olives, kale, 1/2 cup berries

meal 1: 2 eggs, 2 slices of compliant bacon, sweet potato hash (coconut oil)

meal 2: pumpkin chilli, olives, salad with spinach and veggies, olive oil and lemon dressing

meal 3: curry broccoli coconut soup, homemade hamburger patty with lettuce and tomato, and sweet potato

Meal 1: sweet potato hash, 2 eggs, 2 slices of compliant bacon, all cooked in coconut oil

meal 2: pumpkin chilli, broccoli coconut milk soup, olives and a bowl of berries

meal 3: 1/2 sweet potato, marinated chicken thighs, and grilled asparagus and mushrooms (olive oil and coconut oil)

meal 1: 3 scrambled eggs (coconut oil) 1 cup of broccoli and coconut milk soup, black coffee

meal 2: (had a black iced coffee about 1 hour before this meal) 2 chicken thighs, sweet potato, spinach with mango and avocado salsa

meal 3: pork chop with peace onion glaze, grilled zucchini and spinach and tomato salad with olive oil

Your meals look like they have had solid improvement over time and are looking good. You could definitely try adding more salt. On your non-egg proteins what are the portions in relation to all 3 dimensions of your palm? What is you water intake like? What are the biggest differences in how you were eating before and how you are eating now? Any environmental, stress, other changes that could factor in?

I agree with Bethany.  On average your meals look good.  I was going to say you may need to add in more eggs - but then you beat me to that on your last day of meals.

Things to take into consideration:

how you were eating before:  Standard American diet or, or?

water consumption

salt intake.

fat portion

protein portions

how often you are excersising

You could be having a reaction to a certain food that is considered healthy but your body cannot diggest it properly.  For instance I wanted to like avocadoes so much. They are so healthy, full of good fats, etc.  But I hated the texture of them.  But I liked guacomole.  So I decided to eat some of that. My body did not like it.  At all. My body also doesn't process raw carrots well.  And I don't do cauliflower (sadly).  All of these foods are super healthy for you.  But I just can't eat them because my body just can't handle them.  So what am suggesting is that perhaps one of the perfectly healthy food might not agree with you and may be causing changes in sleeping patterns.  Is there one particular food that you are consuming much more of than previously?

Thanks Physibeth and Carlaccini for taking a look at my meals.  I would say that I follow the food template pretty bang on.  I ensure that my protein is 1 or more the required size and absolutely make sure I have enough fat as that is what sustains me and has allowed me to not need to snack (I experimented with this in the first few days).  I exercise almost every day by walking, biking or jogging between 5-15km.  I was actually able to go for a 6km jog today even though I did have much sleep.  I seem to be able to have the energy to get through the day (except the day after I did an 11km hike).  

Before starting whole30, I had spent 3 weeks eating a very carb restricted diet.  I cut out sugars and wheats and starchy veggies and most fruits (left in berries) and I lost about 15lbs in that 3 weeks time.  So, since whole30 I have added in sweet potatoes, which were a big no no and I eat more fruit than I was previously.  The only thing I have really added that I didn't eat before was coconut and I didn't start that until Day 6 and at that point I was already sleepy poorly.  So aside from more protein, fat and starchy vegs, I am eating all the same foods (minus the coconut) that I did before.

Not sure how much sodium I should be adding.  I have never been one to put salt on my food or even really cook with it, so I will try.  I drink at least 10 glasses of water a day.

As for stress….I don't really have any.  I am on vacation for 2 months, which has made this whole30 so much easier to do.

I find it weird that my sleep is affected so much, yet I still can pull off exercising and maintain energy levels on most days….I guess I am worried that this 5 hours a night will catch up with me!

This is well outside my personal realm of expertise but it is possible the sudden increase in carbs could be throwing off your sleep patterns. Going from something very carb restricted to more carbs can do wacky things to your hormones. It might just take a few days for you to adjust. All environmental factors are the same? Sleeping in a dark, cool room? Turning off electronics an hour before bedtime? 

• 1 month later...

I hear you all. Today is Day 25. First week I slept a solid 8 hours, since then I wake up every night around 3.15 AM and hardly sleep after that.

I do take Magnesium before I go to bed and am adding melatonin now, but it doesn't have much effect.

Before starting the Whole30, I have been eating the Paleo-way for over two years but was easy on added sugars and dark chocolate.

From what I have been reading here, I definitely should add more dense carbs. I just find I have a lot of trouble finding time to cook and affording all the food on a very tight budget.

• 1 year later...

Wow - it's reassuring to know I am not alone in the "I can't fall asleep" thing.  For the past two weeks, I have been wide awake for 2 to 3 hours past my normal bedtime.  I've still been able to get up on time (after 5 or 6 hours of sleep), but I can tell my body is getting weary and needs more sleep.  I was wondering if my Tiger Blood is getting in the way of me being able to wind down.  I finished my fifth Whole 30 at the end of August but I'm still eating template meals with only a very occasional "off plan" food (butter, sour cream, dark chocolate). I hope this passes quickly - I'm tired of it and just plain tired.

Archived