Jicama

BrandiSCollins

I made the jicama potato salad a few days ago from Well Fed. it was very good, I left out the bacon since I hadn't received my order from US Wellness Meats yet. Anyway, when she says to chop the jicama in 1/2 inch pieces, you need to do it!! I had a hard time cutting up my raw jicama & could only manage 1 inch cubes. When mixed with the other salad ingredients, it really would've been better with smaller jicama pieces. But after cutting it again, it was very tasty!!

• 2 months later...

Ok. As a total newbie at this, I bought a jicama the other day. I thought I'd venture out and try something new. I did the research for peeling and serving ideas. No one said anything about choosing a good one or storage. I had no idea that I was supposed to refrigerate it. I thought it would be treated like a potato--no. I cut it up and it had brown spots all over the inside. Brown spots all over are bad. So I guess the moral of the story is this: pick a smaller jicama w/no wet spots or other noticeable markings on the outside. The bigger ones tend to be more fibrous, not as flavorful. Dang. I wish I would've known this sooner. <_<

I am so glad you posted this! I recently bought jicama for the sole purpose of Well Fed's jicama home fries. I simmered them in my crock pot for the 24 hours, and then the next day attempted to home fries. Epic fail! It was still crunchy! I bet it was because this bad boy was MASSIVE.

I learn something new every day!

I found this at the regular grocery store in a bin near the floor, under the potato section. Google it for good pictures. It reminds me of a larger, flatter rooty potato. :blink: You'll see what I mean. It was a bit expensive, I thought. Good luck! BTW, I looked up the pronunciation: hee-kah-mah. I know...I just can't help it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Really hoped the jicama fries recipe from well fed would work, but after 24 hours in the crock pot I felt like all the flavor had been sucked out of the veggie and I was left with a moth full of crispy water. What can I do with these now? I tried to fry them up in a stir fry but their flavor was like eating an old shriveled parsnip. Should they be fully soft after crockpotting for a day?!

Love jicama, but I have found some stores don't have very good ones. Here in Northern California the jicama at Winco isn't very good, and is coated with wax (yuck). I go to Raleys and their jicama is fresh and wax-free. Sometimes if it has sitting too long it gets moldy, sour, or yucky brown spots.  I love eating it raw, and haven't brought myself to cook it yet. 

Archived