Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

18 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

BAB study.  Big &$$ Breakfast - 8 month study.

They didn't compare apples to apples:

Forty-six women were on the very-low-carb diet, which allowed them to eat 1,085 calories a day. The diet consisted of 17 grams of carbohydrates, 51 grams of protein and 78 grams of fat a day. The smallest meal was breakfast, at 290 calories. For breakfast the dieters were permitted only 7 grams of carbohydrates, such as bread, fruit, cereal and milk. Dieters could eat just 12 grams of protein, such as meat and eggs, in the morning.

On the modified low-carb diet, or "big-breakfast diet," the other 48 dieters ate 1,240 calories a day. Although lower in total fat (46 grams) than the other diet, the new diet had higher daily allotments of carbs (97 grams) and protein (93 grams). Dieters ate a 610-calorie big breakfast, consisting of 58 grams of carbs, 47 grams of protein and 22 fat grams. The diet schedule for lunch was 395 calories (34, 28 and 13 grams of carbs, protein and fat, respectively); dinner was 235 calories (5, 18 and 26 grams, respectively)

The low carb group was set to both less calories overall and less calories at breakfast. So they've got at least 3 variables instead of just 1.  There's no meaningful conclusion to be drawn from this study.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the trail ride. 

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:33 AM

Human bodies are a lot more complex than most explanations of them.  :)

It Starts With Food explains how human bodies and food interact really well and you owe it to yourself to study the book carefully.

Many explanations of fat adaptation and blood insulin levels would suggest you should never eat starchy veggies or fruit because these explanations take into account too few variables, ignore context, and rely on testimonials of a limited number of people whose bodies are in a different place than many other bodies. The reality is that I ate as many as two large sweet potatoes per day and became fat-adapted roughly two weeks into beginning to eat Whole30-compliant. I no longer eat two large sweet potatoes per day because I create more varied meals now than I did then, but my eating lots of starchy veggies did not stop me from becoming fat adapted quickly. I would not recommend that anyone follow my specific example unless they are engaging in a very high volume of physical training, but even though I was not following what we now consider best practices, my body still adapted.

Any time an explanation assumes that the body is at risk if you don't follow a very narrow eating plan, the explanation is wrong. Now by narrow eating plan, I do not mean the Whole30 because the Whole30 allows you to eat every veggie on the planet and all animal, bird, and fish protein. By narrow plan, I mean one that says you will suffer terrible blood sugar issues if you eat a banana. It just is not true because the human body is very well designed to deal with eating a banana and a sweet potato and a parsnip, etc. The human body is not very well designed to deal with a dozen donuts per week and a dozen bagels and a constant stream of pizza, but those things don't grow in a field.  :)

Let Freedom Ring.

Bear and I watch Rx commericals as a form of entertainment. By the end of  each one of them, we're laughing ourselves silly.

Ask your doctor if death by Rx might be right for you. Mercy my.

Bad is the new good. 

Image result for bad is good

There are lifestyle changes and there are diets. It takes wisdom to know the difference. 

Happiness is nothing more than good health.

Good food fixes everything.

On the first part of the journey, I was looking at all of life. There were plants and and birds and rocks and things and mossy green tea. 

In my mossy green tea, I added macadamia nut oil and extra virginia olive oil. I used coconut oil, too...but I pared that waaay down as I tooled along the backroads of this forum.

I still do that today. Oooo, Felicias. When you've got a hankering for highly engineered to be craved foods and finely tuned snacks, brew yourself some green tea.  

It's mild and rather soothing.  Add the good fats that you prefer. It will make all of the difference for those of you out there that are trying to kick metabolic derangement down the road. 

Hold on to your sweet potatoes....and don't shout me down while I'm preachin' good.  I'm still standing after all of these years.   I haven't relapsed or rebounded back with every single pound plus friends.  

I clean the slate and freshen up the palette palate with music. Every now and again, there's even offal awful on the menu.

Much love. Felicias. Much love.

There's a cool dude who is still a major source of daily motivation for me. He did all of this on his own terms and he led the way. 

It took him two years and it's taken me two years. We went Oooo sooooo sloowww. He has unprecedented favor and it's more than the earthbound kind.

The half has not been told of the amount of people that have been touched and given a new lease on life. One with peace, health, harmony, mental and physical fortitude. 

Lightning strikes.  Maybe once.  Maybe twice.

Doors of opportunity may open only once in a lifetime. Motivation is a gift, not to be taken lightly. It's there to spur you on to a place undreamed of by you. 

As you learn what you've been given, you can travel on to the next levels of provision and destiny. 

I wouldn't change a thing.  

Once upon a time, I knew a beautiful woman. Old and young men were falling at her feet, running after her car and licking her tires. Her peers were jealous and envious because that girl could do no wrong. Everything she touched turned to gold and she shot like a shooting star...right to the top of the heap.

It gave all of the older hands a really big pinch.They were always taking potshots across the bow at her. Why did she deserve this and that.  Well, she did deserve it. She had favor and that was that. 

One day, she fell down on a very icy sidewalk and had to be rushed to the hospital. They found out she had terminal cancer and it was going to take her life within a matter of weeks.  

She didn't last long. I'll never forget her memorial service. The old and young men were bawling their eyes out. People from the community were coming forward to share all of the wonderful things she did in secret for the less fortunate.  How every Friday night, her trunk was loaded with groceries for the food bank and clothes for the shelter. 

She was a giver and didn't stand up on her high horse. Never told a soul but they came out of the woodwork to tell of her exploits.

The older and jealous hands didn't have much to say after that day. But I learned a valuable lesson.  Tomorrow is not promised to anyone.  You never know when you've entertained an angel.

Grandpaw used to pick hitchhikers up and bring them home and feed them. Gave them a place to sleep. It didn't always work out perfectly as some did take advantage of him but he was a giver, too.  

Shooting stars are here to teach us a lesson. Stay humble. When I see someone who succeeds at everything they do, I don't take them for granted. I'm in their corner because I know that they have a whole lotta living to do in maybe a shorter span of time than the rest of us.  

I thought about her today. She's been gone for quite some time but I know she's up there keeping everything organized from top to bottom. We all have a purpose and no one can ever take your place.  

Meanwhile, back in the Western Wing Situation Room, I'm waiting on a Chinook. That's a warm, dry wind that blows down the east side of the mountains at the end of winter. 

Chinook means "snow eater".  It originates in the Pacific and blows over the Rockies and down the slopes.  The Chinooks are a paleo-people of the Pacific northwest. Their diet was mainly fish. 

Image result for photos waiting on a chinook

Great Grandpaw was a horticulturist and Grandmaw had a green thumb, too. There are many in my family who know how to make the most out of a 3 month growing season. Everything was canned but there were some very lean times while Maw was growing up.

Grandmaw would spend all day in the garden. It was a respite from all of the kids and grandkids.  The house always looked like a tornado went through it. We started doing dishes at the age of 5 or 6, while standing on a chair.  Busting our humps and earning our keep.  

MV5BMTY4OTcyNzg1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzY0MDAxMw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,758,1000_AL_.jpg

Grandmaw knew how to handle the livestock.  Kids. Cows. Goats, chickens, ducks, dogs and cats.

When Great Grandmaw would come for a visit, some order out of that chaos was imposed. I learned how to clean the house like a tornado, too.  The aunts taught us to throw everything into the cupboards on the bias and the rest went into lawn bags, stuffing everything into every cubbie hole you could find.  

When we all pulled together, we whipped the house into shape in about 10 or 15 minutes. I spent every spare minute out at "the house" because that rollercoaster was the best theme park in town.

My folkaronies took us there every Friday night and picked us up on Sunday afternoon. I watched Maw's sisters get ready for their dates and listened while Grandpaw gave them the lowdown. After they left, the rest of us would load up in the pickup and head into town for Grandpaw's chewing tobacco.  Tobacco Road was filled with stories and more dairy queen.

We're a product of our raising. The produce of tender sprouts and quick shoots, early age startups are an investment that will keep on giving for the rest of an investor's life.

I'm keeping tabs on the Western Wing Situation Room now. 

We have to tear ourselves down to build ourselves back UP again. My ancestors were strong.  They survived when all of the odds were against them. 

They raised the bar for me with integrity and passion.  

There's only one main drag through town.  You don't see hitchhikers anymore.  They would stand for hours at the edge of town waiting for a ride.  At nightfall, Grandpaw would offer them a plate of food and place to sleep in a small cabin out back.

He believed in hospitality to strangers for in doing so you never know when you've entertained an angel unaware. 

The Carrot   =   Promise of a quick fix

The stakes are way too high when it comes to taking chances with our health.  I can't afford it. 

Now, it's my turn to be strong for my elders.  They were always there for me. I glean everything I can from their experiences. I listen more than I used to.

I can look back and see that I'm not the same person I used to be. I tell you things I've never told anyone. Food addiction ate my voice. 

Happiness is nothing more than good health. 

Don't look to the left or the right.  Stay the course.  Don't get sidetracked.  

We're all taking our collagen peptides, including the pets.  They do a body good when you're on the run. We made a new batch of bone broth and add those peptides as a finishing touch as we're drinking our cup.

Remember your two brazil nuts with your can of tuna fish.  The whys are already here.  The Whole 30 is what you make of it.  I don't have to rewrite ISWF.   

Through the process of elimination and diagnostic testing, you create your own positive food management plan. There's no such thing as a Whole 365.  

If you eat only one non-compliant food in 365 days, that Whole 30 is over.  You can't call it a Whole 30.

Your strength and conditioning goes waaay beyond your muscle tone or exercise facility. The sky is not the limit and it never was. 

When is it time to seek medical attention for an eating disorder or food addiction:

Obsessing over food and paying more attention to food consumed by others than yourself.  

Self-induced starvation.

Secret eating. 

Food addiction is an obsession that distracts one from the things that really matter in life.  The food addict spents more time with food than interacting in a healthy way with others.

Food addiction is a chronic disease of food rewards. 

A food addiction or self-induced starvation can lead to depression, anxiety and anger.  Binge eaters gorge on large amounts of food in one setting.  Anorexia is limiting food intake to stay thin no matter what the cost.  They may only eat once aday or every other day. 

There are many variations.  Counting bites and strict measuring.

Scientists and doctors are still trying to figure out treatments for all of the above.  The earlier the treatment in life the more successful the recovery. 

The sooner one can recognize the need for medical treatment, no matter what the age,  there's a lower change of negative consequences from diabetes, heart attacks, strokes, general physical and/or mental illness. 

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/12/ketogenic-diet-rant.html

"People have more fun if they don't eat so much they have to be taken home in an ambulance." 

Ina Garten

"Instead of going out to dinner, buy good food. Cooking at home shows such affection. In a bad economy, it's more important to make yourself feel good."

“They say that gardens look better when they are created by loving gardeners rather than by landscapers, because the garden is more tended to and cared for. The same thing goes for cooking. I only cook for people I love.” 

Ina Garten

If you watch Ina's shows for cooking tips, I always get a kick when she advises not to make your food look like a dog's breakfast. 

dogs-breakfast-med.jpg?w=611

dogsbreakfast.png
"dog's breakfast," which has been British slang for "a complete mess" since at least the 1930s. While no one took the time to write down the exact origin of the phrase, the allusion involved seems to be to a failed culinary effort, perhaps a burned or botched omelet, fit only for consumption by the mouth of last resort, Fido. As a vivid figure of speech meaning something so fouled up as to be utterly useless, "dog's breakfast" can cover anything from a play plagued by collapsing scenery to a space mission ruined by a mathematical error. "Dog's dinner," which seems to have appeared around the same time, means exactly the same sort of disaster, but has the advantage of being attractively alliterative. Both phrases are heard occasionally in the U.S., but are more common in the U.K. and Commonwealth countries.
That bedroom looks like a dog's breakfast. Clean it up man!
Image result for photos of dogs breakfast

Extremes beget extremes.

I grew up with unlimited carbs.

Eat more of the whole things and less of the processed things. The more packaging you have to go through the less healthy it is for you. Sugar is added to 74% of packaged foods. It affects the liver in the same way that alcohol does.  

Hold on to your sweet potatoes.

Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian says, "All the scientific data on long-term health and preventing chronic diseases, fruits have a slightly stronger protective effect than vegetables." 

So I will remain fruit loose and eat both of them. Fruit has digestive enzymes and fiber.

Dr. Fraser, MD, PHD, says that nuts cut your risk of heart disease by up to half. A handful of nuts is better than a handful of cookies.

If you can't go fishing.  Eat canned fish with 2 Brazil nuts.

Canned tuna and salmon is an affordable protein. Packed with omega-3's, vita D and selenium.  Best portable food going. 

Eat your fresh leafy greens.  Those who eat one daily serving of leafy greens have the cognitive ability of someone who is 11 years younger.  They benefit your heart and bones, help prevent cancer. 

Image result for cartoons dog food jokes

Sit down with a professional.  Face-to-face.

Search for the why, why, whys you are rejecting yourself.

Deprivation is the mother of failure and will lead to more self-rejection.

Instead of self-disclosure to elicit support, the food disordered build a wall of silence.  

Controlling self and others through a food disorder can be genetic, environmental, familial pattern, social-cultural, or due to trauma and abuse. 

Food disorder is an act of self-rejection.  Efforts to regain control result in excessively rigid surroundings and routines. 

Rigid parenting practices, excessively rigid surroundings and routines can result in all kinds of disorder in a home.

The truth will find you out.

Kids suffer at the hands of disorder in a home. That includes non-stop cleaning, rigid menus, house rules and generally...breaking the spirit of a child. Kids are a direct reflection of that kind of parenting.  

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/602208/how-an-algorithm-learned-to-identify-depressed-individuals-by-studying-their-instagram/

"Armed with this data, the researchers used a machine-learning algorithm to spot correlations between depression and image properties. 

The researchers found that depressed individuals tend to post images that are bluer, grayer, and darker..."

They say that dark, dreary photos indicate depression.   

The French refonte, refondre, remanier. They come by it naturally and have been recasting on an as needed basis.

For the most part, they don't "workout" but everything works out for them beautifully.

They live, move and enjoy all of their being.

The French don't act like a food coach or preach about healthy foods. alarmed smileyThey eat French fries.

I've traveled from Ireland to Spain and all inbetween. I didn't eat fish and seafood with polyphosphates or foods with an overload of chemicals and preservatives. There were no artificial sweetners on the tables.

I'd planned that trip for a long time and came home in the best shape. You're walking and hiking everywhere. Running for the train, bus or ship.Hauling your suitcases loaded with Swiss chocolates up flights of stairs and dragging your tiddlywinks and souvenirs along, too.

They don't struggle with food in the way that we do over here. The exercise equipment in the hotels is mainly there for the americans. Of course, we stick out while we're there but by the time you come home, your jeans will still fit.  You might have to buy new ones. 

I have photos of myself sitting in sidewalk cafes in my bright yellow raincoat. Just like a duck out of water but I was happy.

I visited Mona Lisa and gawked at David in Italy. Kissed the Blarney Stone, sat in the Sistine Chapel and brought medals home from the Vatican. 

I've walked down the Appian Way and saw the catacombs.Traveled to Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Netherlands. I couldn't begin to duplicate that trip for what it would cost today. I was there for 5 months, May through September.

My clothes were perpetually wet. They never dried out by the morning light and I had to throw them back in the suitcase. 

As far as I'm concerned, they've got it made in the shade. Outstanding art and music. Architecture that's really not of this world.

They don't reserve their movement for the gym. Everything is fluid. I remember eating escargot with garlic and parsley butter across from the Louvre. Real espresso, real good. 

Europeans expend as much energy and physical extertion needed for all of their moments of the day. They really do reap all of the benefits without the bother. It's magic.

They don't have our mental hurdles with food. They practice the slow burn vs. burnout. They follow their own arrow but it doesn't include "no pain no gain". 

Tuscany-Italycypress.jpg

We operate on two modes.  Sitting or spinning.

Resting or running.

We sit for 9 hours aday and run on the dreadmill for an hour aday.

Exercise is the other half of dieting.  They're lifelong mates. 

Dieting and Exercise.  

Movement is fluid in Europe.

They move throughout the entire day. Reaping the benefits without the bother of the gym.  It's magic.

They move.

We exercise.  And diet.

Let Freedom Ring.

I threw all of those handy dandy exercise gadgets and equipment out.  They were being used for coat hangers and a clothesline. I loathed that wooden cross-country device.

I rolled that exercise bike out to the dumpster and watched it spin, baby spin. 

No running on the dreadmill and counting steps.  

Archived