Canned tuna brand?

• 1 month later...

I love Wild Planet as well, but I also found that Chicken of the Sea has a compliant version too. Make sure you read the label because there are many "versions" of Chicken of the Sea.. This one is No Drain Solid Light Tuna (they have white as well) and the ingredients are solid light tuna, water and salt. It cost a little more than a normal can of Chicken of the Sea, but it's still less than Wild Planet. The taste is similar to Wild Planet as well. 

Last time I checked, my Trader Joe's tuna was also compliant.

In addition to the ingredients list, make sure you look for labels like "Contains soy" - that was what nixed a lot of the brands at my regular grocery store. (Wording like "processed in a plant that contains soy" is okay - that's just legal cover-your-butt language in case of someone with a soy allergy.)

I would love to see a note about canned tuna included in the "Can I Have..." list. I never thought to check the label of a can of tuna to see if there are ingredients other than tuna - especially when one of those ingredients is soy! A valuable lesson for me, moving forward, but having it called out might be helpful.

I never thought to check the label of a can of tuna to see if there are ingredients other than tuna 

One of the major things to learn on your first whole30 is that ANYTHING in a package is suspect. You always have to read labels of everything...and when you start you will be shocked at what is in the simplest most common-seeming foods.  :o

One of the major things to learn on your first whole30 is that ANYTHING in a package is suspect. You always have to read labels of everything...and when you start you will be shocked at what is in the simplest most common-seeming foods.  :o

Yes - this has been a big takeaway for me! I felt dumb for not checking the dang tuna, but live and learn.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Chicken of the Sea and we really like it. I use the solid white in water then mix it with avocado, a little coconut milk, some seasonings (sea salt, black pepper, onion powder, coriander) and serve it on boston lettuce topped with olives. So, so yummy. We took that on a trip to the lake a few weeks back and my BF wanted to know why I didn't make more. He's not even Paleo!

And lately with the price of tuna having gone up, canned salmon is about the same price! yummmmmmmm

Funny story about canned salmon... I found a can of compliant, wild caught salmon that was about $3 for the can (a big one) and thought, "This will be good in a pinch." (I try to avoid things with labels all together - much less stressful.) I opened the can and it was mushy salmon that still had the bones and skin! Have you ever tried to de-bone and skin canned salmon? I don't know how I got through it without losing it. So gross. Let's just say I won't be buying that particular brand again. :ph34r:

• Administrators

Decker_bear ~ what you experienced is "traditional pack" canned salmon.  You can eat the bones, they are very soft and when mixed into recipes, those skin and bone basically dissolve into the recipe.  Traditional pack salmon has nearly double the long chain omega 3 fatty acids as the skinless and boneless canned salmon fillets and also provides calcium due to the presence of the bone.

decker_bear- yep, I had the same experience years ago. It's true, if you can get past the "gross" look of the skin & bones, they really do blend right in & you won't even know they are there. I promise! (well, except for the fact that when you openned the can & saw the mess you thought would be lovely pretty pink Salmon!) :-)

Archived