I am hungry two hours later!

gcerami

Hi everyone,

I feel like I am eating enough for all of my meals... I make sure I have lots of fat, protein and vegetables and I feel satisfied at the end of the meal. But, I am still feeling hungry again after a few hours and find it difficult to wait for my next meal! AND I know it's hunger because yes, I am willing to eat steamed fish and broccoli (as the Whole30 email suggests to use as a test). Does this mean I should eat MORE during these meals? Or should I have a healthy snack? I don't want to hurt myself by overeating, because I know myself and I know I can eat A LOT and don't want my portion sizes to get too big. Let me know what you think! Thanks!!

What day of your Whole30 are you on? I was ravenous for the first week of mine - it's a transition time, especially if your body is used to getting energy from grains and sugar and all of a sudden isn't getting that. If you're early on, make sure you have some mini-meals around and eat as you need to, and know it'll get better.

Otherwise, if you're hungry, eat - either more at a meal, or a mini-meal between (not just nuts or fruit - those won't help as much with hunger as, say, a hard-boiled egg or some other protein+fat).

Thanks for getting back to me! I am in my second week... so maybe I am still getting used to getting my energy from a different source. Here are some examples of breakfasts/lunches broken down:

Veggie omelet with two eggs (lots of veggies) and a half an avocado, sometimes an apple

(I think breakfast is when I really need to beef up my options, because that's pretty much what I have every day. If anyone has any hardy breakfast suggestions that I can premake for the week that would be great!)

Lunch - Grilled chicken breast and sauteed veggies or a big salad with chicken and an oil and vinegar based dressing

Dinner - Usually my mom makes some kind of awesome paleo dish that holds me over until bed (I go to bed pretty early, so it's never an issue)

I'm having very similar problems.  I'm on Day 19, planning on going for another 2 weeks.  I've always eaten healthy but had the sugar dragon to slay.  I read the book, read the blogs and felt very prepared going in.  I gain and lose around 10 pounds, mostly losing when I'm stressed and working a lot since I'm a I'm in my residency for anesthesiology but stress levels can vary.  I'm currently in a very low stress time which is when i tend to gain weight, and i have over the last few lower stress months, which is what prompted me to finally try a whole 30. I feel ok not amazing.  I've had good and bad days but overall i'm very underwhelmed and mostly frustrated.  Today I slipped and got on the scale and I've gained 5 pounds over what I gained pre-program.  I'm extremely disappointed. I wanted to do Whole 30 to find a way to eat, be full without feeling stuffed (which has always been hard for me), and AT LEAST not gain weight (which I have failed at). I'm 5'6", 140 is my ideal size and I'm currently 153.

I haven't cheated once.  Been sticking to the program.  Sample meals...

2 chicken sausages, a fried egg, some spinach and half a small sweet potato.  Usually half an avocado on the side.  Usually some berries. I've been eating a lot of food in the AM but I eat so early, I can't make it 7 hours if I dont eat.

Salad greens with some meat on top (compliant pulled pork, chicken, etc), a side of veggie, an apple or berries.  Usually another half an avocado.  Keep in mind my cooking oils are coconut and EVOO so usually the veggie and meat has been cooked in it.

Dinner is usually a meat with veggies.  Venison burger, chicken, salmon are common ones.

I will admit that I have been snacking too much.  I eat at 5 am and can't eat a full lunch until 12-1 pm, so during a quick morning break I will have a banana sometimes, more often than not.  When I get home between 3-5 I'm ravenous and sometimes i end up eating before my workout but it's often times too much, which I admit to. A snack had been nuts ( which I was eating too much of), but now it ends up being carrots or fruit or hard boil eggs (at times I've been so hungry it's been all of thee above).

I cut out nuts 5 days ago because I think it made my digestion totally off and I was feeling like I was gaining weight.  

I'll admit that I probably eat too much fruit, have snacked too much on compliant foods.  The problem is that I am often starving in between meals.  Mostly I am actually hungry, but sometimes I'm sure it's not real hunger. I have always had that problem and I am committed in the next 14 days to working on no snacks (especially between lunch and dinner, I should be able to go 5 hours).

My husband has been appalled at the amount of food im eating.  He's also doing whole 30 but likes this food much less than I do so he's just eating less.  He's lost weight...it's very obviously he's starting to look rail thin.

I'm so frustrated because I feel like I'm losing a handle on what's good and bad for me in this proess.  Do I eat more and try to snack less? Do I try to cut the portions and not snack at all?  What should I cut down on? I'm frustrated!!! I know the standard response is that it often takes >30 days and I'm giving it untl I gotout of town for a family wedding (14 days away).  I know I'm skinny fat and should focus on the fact that i do sleep better.  But my energy levels have been mediocre at best and I have no chronic medical problems (for this I am quite lucky so please don't think I'm complaining about that).

I ate pretty healthy before and I feel like I'm eating so much more food.  This hasn't been that big of a day to day change for me...the biggest thing has been cutting out the big cheats (like drinking, eating late night, etc) which wax and wane in frequency for me.

This post is more to find out if there is anything glaring I can be doing specifically for weight loss.  I did start a new workout routine this month as well.  I'm sort of at my wits end because I've put a ton of work into this and I feel like I'm getting nothing back in return other than extra pounds.

gcerami - I make a big batch of breakfast hash at the beginning of the week and reheat that every morning (I poach eggs to put on top too, but you could just eat a bigger portion of the hash and be fine). There are tons of recipes out there, but basically it's ground meat + produce; my current favorite is from the cookbook Well Fed 2 and has ground chicken or turkey, roasted sweet potato and apple, plus a great spice mix.

Salads almost always make me hungry sooner than any other meal, even if they're big. That might be just me, but I don't eat them on a regular basis for that reason. I had one for lunch today, full of pulled turkey, pecans and plenty of dressing I brought from home, but I'm still getting hungry three hours later.

SMRobinson, I'm about your size and, to be honest, haven't lost much weight eating this way. But I know my body works better in other ways. Stress is, I think, a huge culprit for me, along with lack of sleep; I'm definitely a work in progress there. I know a residency schedule can't be great for that! As far as the hunger, if you're genuinely hungry, don't just have a banana - have a mini-meal with protein and fat. I speak from experience that that is way more satiating than just a piece of fruit or some carrots. If you need things you can grab at the hospital, Epic bars might be worth a look - they're not cheap, which also keeps me from eating them just because. :)

Thanks for getting back to me! I am in my second week... so maybe I am still getting used to getting my energy from a different source. Here are some examples of breakfasts/lunches broken down:

Veggie omelet with two eggs (lots of veggies) and a half an avocado, sometimes an apple

(I think breakfast is when I really need to beef up my options, because that's pretty much what I have every day. If anyone has any hardy breakfast suggestions that I can premake for the week that would be great!)

Lunch - Grilled chicken breast and sauteed veggies or a big salad with chicken and an oil and vinegar based dressing

Dinner - Usually my mom makes some kind of awesome paleo dish that holds me over until bed (I go to bed pretty early, so it's never an issue)

I agree that an adjustment to your first meal will make a big difference in your in between meal hunger. Unless you have tiny hands 2 eggs is not enough protein for a meal. I'm 5'4" and have pretty small hands and eat 4 pretty much every morning. Some people also find that eating starchy vegetables and fruit at their first meal make them hungrier all day. That is a self experimentation type of thing though. You might also do well to add more fat or a fattier cut of meat to your 2nd meal. If you are still getting hungry between meals while you try to figure this out just have a mini meal (at least protein and fat). 

I'm having very similar problems.  I'm on Day 19, planning on going for another 2 weeks.  I've always eaten healthy but had the sugar dragon to slay.  I read the book, read the blogs and felt very prepared going in.  I gain and lose around 10 pounds, mostly losing when I'm stressed and working a lot since I'm a I'm in my residency for anesthesiology but stress levels can vary.  I'm currently in a very low stress time which is when i tend to gain weight, and i have over the last few lower stress months, which is what prompted me to finally try a whole 30. I feel ok not amazing.  I've had good and bad days but overall i'm very underwhelmed and mostly frustrated.  Today I slipped and got on the scale and I've gained 5 pounds over what I gained pre-program.  I'm extremely disappointed. I wanted to do Whole 30 to find a way to eat, be full without feeling stuffed (which has always been hard for me), and AT LEAST not gain weight (which I have failed at). I'm 5'6", 140 is my ideal size and I'm currently 153.

I haven't cheated once.  Been sticking to the program.  Sample meals...

2 chicken sausages, a fried egg, some spinach and half a small sweet potato.  Usually half an avocado on the side.  Usually some berries. I've been eating a lot of food in the AM but I eat so early, I can't make it 7 hours if I dont eat.

Salad greens with some meat on top (compliant pulled pork, chicken, etc), a side of veggie, an apple or berries.  Usually another half an avocado.  Keep in mind my cooking oils are coconut and EVOO so usually the veggie and meat has been cooked in it.

Dinner is usually a meat with veggies.  Venison burger, chicken, salmon are common ones.

I will admit that I have been snacking too much.  I eat at 5 am and can't eat a full lunch until 12-1 pm, so during a quick morning break I will have a banana sometimes, more often than not.  When I get home between 3-5 I'm ravenous and sometimes i end up eating before my workout but it's often times too much, which I admit to. A snack had been nuts ( which I was eating too much of), but now it ends up being carrots or fruit or hard boil eggs (at times I've been so hungry it's been all of thee above).

I cut out nuts 5 days ago because I think it made my digestion totally off and I was feeling like I was gaining weight.  

I'll admit that I probably eat too much fruit, have snacked too much on compliant foods.  The problem is that I am often starving in between meals.  Mostly I am actually hungry, but sometimes I'm sure it's not real hunger. I have always had that problem and I am committed in the next 14 days to working on no snacks (especially between lunch and dinner, I should be able to go 5 hours).

My husband has been appalled at the amount of food im eating.  He's also doing whole 30 but likes this food much less than I do so he's just eating less.  He's lost weight...it's very obviously he's starting to look rail thin.

I'm so frustrated because I feel like I'm losing a handle on what's good and bad for me in this proess.  Do I eat more and try to snack less? Do I try to cut the portions and not snack at all?  What should I cut down on? I'm frustrated!!! I know the standard response is that it often takes >30 days and I'm giving it untl I gotout of town for a family wedding (14 days away).  I know I'm skinny fat and should focus on the fact that i do sleep better.  But my energy levels have been mediocre at best and I have no chronic medical problems (for this I am quite lucky so please don't think I'm complaining about that).

I ate pretty healthy before and I feel like I'm eating so much more food.  This hasn't been that big of a day to day change for me...the biggest thing has been cutting out the big cheats (like drinking, eating late night, etc) which wax and wane in frequency for me.

This post is more to find out if there is anything glaring I can be doing specifically for weight loss.  I did start a new workout routine this month as well.  I'm sort of at my wits end because I've put a ton of work into this and I feel like I'm getting nothing back in return other than extra pounds.

First I think you would be well served to read this: http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

If you don't want to be "skinny fat" then you should focus on eating enough food to fuel your body and doing strength burning workouts and getting really good sleep and ditch your scale. There are a lot of reasons we ask you not to weigh yourself during a W30 and the stress and worry you are experiencing right now is one of them. And honestly if your husband is eating less than you then he isn't getting enough food either.

I don't want to hurt myself by overeating, because I know myself and I know I can eat A LOT and don't want my portion sizes to get too big.

Just chiming in to note that you can add calories without adding much volume.  Fat is easy to add to meals, takes long to digest, and doesn't take up much room in your tummy.  Add a dollop of herbed mayo on top of your meals, half an avocado, a handful of nuts.

• 1 year later...

I have a similar problem. I eat enough fat and protein, I have cut out fruit and have been progressively cutting starchy veggies. I run a lot (30-40k a week) but I'm on day 10 and I am constantly wanting to eat, even when I'm stuffed (yes, I even won't stop at steamed fish and broccoli). I haven't weighed myself, but know I've gained a lot because my clothes are fitting very tight and I feel like I'm dragging a spare tire when I run.

Here is a typical food day:

Meal 1: 3 eggs, 1 zucchini, a thumb or two of coconut oil or ghee, handful of sweet potato cubes and perhaps some coconut milk in my coffee

Meal 2 and again for meal 3: fish or steak or ground beef (1-2 palms) with sautéed leek, chard, spinach or kale and 1 bell pepper, handful of sweet potato cubes or carrots with a lot of coconut oil or ghee.

I usually have to give into having snacks of tuna or mackerel and some coconut chunks, avocado or cashews.

After each meal I can feel I am full but I still want to eat (this was a problem before so I was hoping it would be less now, but now it's with tons of calories and it is expensive to boot)

Should I cut out the sweet potato and carrots too? If I count it up, I am definitely getting enough calories to support my runs but my muscles feel super fatigued. I gave up fruit 4 days ago. Maybe my body still just wants sugar? Help!

First I think you would be well served to read this: http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for posting this. I was blown away, and my memory resonated with those times I have gotten to my "ideal weight" only to blow it because I still looked, um, less than ideal, and I couldn't seem to drop any more weight no matter what I did. (So why bother, right?) Wow. What an eyeopener.

I have a similar problem. I eat enough fat and protein, I have cut out fruit and have been progressively cutting starchy veggies. I run a lot (30-40k a week) but I'm on day 10 and I am constantly wanting to eat, even when I'm stuffed (yes, I even won't stop at steamed fish and broccoli). I haven't weighed myself, but know I've gained a lot because my clothes are fitting very tight and I feel like I'm dragging a spare tire when I run.

Here is a typical food day:

Meal 1: 3 eggs, 1 zucchini, a thumb or two of coconut oil or ghee, handful of sweet potato cubes and perhaps some coconut milk in my coffee

Meal 2 and again for meal 3: fish or steak or ground beef (1-2 palms) with sautéed leek, chard, spinach or kale and 1 bell pepper, handful of sweet potato cubes or carrots with a lot of coconut oil or ghee.

I usually have to give into having snacks of tuna or mackerel and some coconut chunks, avocado or cashews.

After each meal I can feel I am full but I still want to eat (this was a problem before so I was hoping it would be less now, but now it's with tons of calories and it is expensive to boot)

Should I cut out the sweet potato and carrots too? If I count it up, I am definitely getting enough calories to support my runs but my muscles feel super fatigued. I gave up fruit 4 days ago. Maybe my body still just wants sugar? Help!

Hi There,

Do not drop the starchies - I would probably suggest that you may need more rather than less.  Especially since you are active and run a lot.

Instead:  drop the nuts - they are well known for causing bloat and tummy upset.

It could be possible that you may be sensitive to coconut - some people do report digestive troubles from coconut milk, and coconut chips.  The coconut oil seems to be OK though.

Also how close are you to your period?  I know many women (myself included) report that they feel like a bottomless pit of hunger a week or so before their period. The way to manage that is just eat more in general.  Especially Starchy veggies.

Hi!

I'm not having any trouble with upset stomach. I did have some trouble with coconut cubes before runs, but now I just do eggs or fish and it's fine. I'mslightly allergi to almonds and hazelnuts so I don't eat that many nuts at all.

My problem is not being able to stop eating in general. It all just tastes so good! I kind of wish this food weren't so tasty.

My energy was better today. We see how my long run goes tomorrow.

Are you eating until full? 

Honestly if you are hungry - eat!  Many people don't eat enough food in general when coming from a SAD diet and struggle with the idea that they have to feed themselves more - not less.  So unless you are gorging yourself waaaaa-ay past the full mark - I wouldn't worry so much.

Food is supposed to taste good, and you are supposed to enjoy it!

Archived