Dirty 30 8/21 Start

dcducks1

CC - thanks for sharing all your experience and talents with us.  I have great admiration for you.  Rick is a lucky man and your kids are fortunate to have a great mom.  "One Word" of the year - this might be beneficial for Steve and me.  I am going to suggest to Steve that we do a "One Word" of the month and use the empty pages of our vision book for this purpose.  If you don't mind sharing, what others words have you used and how did you go about fulfilling your definition of the word.  If anyone else wants to chime in, please fee free.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning!   I am totally violating the Whole30 " breakfast first"  by sitting down with this thread with a cup of coffee before I eat-  I know it will take me longer than I think to read through the posts!      I find it a bit disconcerting that I am excited to see the thoughts from people I just "met" a few days ago-   I really do think that this group is special in the way everyone is so authentic-   thank you!

I got a box from Barefoot Provisions yesterday!  I couldn't find RedBoat Fish Sauce around here and also wanted to try Nick's Sticks (not so yum) because I need some stable protein for after my workouts.    Of course I also ended up ordering other goodies... Kale Chips (yum), spicy pistachios with cilantro (yum),  and a totally non compliant (paleofied) peppermint patty (for my husband).   I was hungry and a bit vulnerable when I opened the box  and the peppermint patty was completely melted!   A Whole30 angel saved me from myself on that one ...  I put it in the fridge and by the time it was solid I had actually had a meal and was not tempted at all  (my husband says yum, but messy) 

Ann-  "eyes open wider"  "abundance not scarcity"  "it starts with food... and then I keep going"   powerful words!   I hope your Day30 is wonderful and I am glad you are sticking around for another 30 days!  Will you post a success story for the first Whole30?  if so let us know-  I would like to read it!  

Joni- " I used to think I was too busy for the day to day stuff"  I think it is so interesting that Whole30 leads us to look at other detail differently...  is all the mail open today?

outdrgirl, nanny, win-   I am pretty new here and dont think I have "met" you yet-  hello new friends!!  I am glad to be sharing this journey with you

deb-  anchovies purchased but amazing sauce still to be made as part of my cookup this weekend.  I will be watching for how my two cats TSK and MAK respond when I open them!  .. hmmm..  I wonder how it would taste on broccoli?

miki, drtracyb-   it is so good to have experienced people who are so ready to share!  thanks for being here.  

meadow -  from the comments it sounds like you just bagged a Whole90-  wow!! Will there be a success story?

cc-  Thanks for sharing your Whole30 journey!   I envy you a bit that you are going through this with your husband but I am happy to have this group as an outlet.    I pulled The Happiness project back off my shelf and added it to the stack on the nightstand again and  I put Essentialism on my list at the library.  I am going to hold on the 'Simplify' -   when I read "churchy" i get to "thinky"  and critical.  For me right now the better "churchy" is in music-  when I listen somehow the music helps me suspend my disbelief and the words can weave themselves in between my critical thoughts.   Ginny Owens is my current go to playlist on the iPod-  I love the messages in her song "Fellow Traveler" (No matter how we're different we're very much the same.... Fellow traveler let me take you to a place where I've found rest)   and "Beautiful" (welcome to your life!   you call me beautiful...)     

Laurie-   My heart aches for you and your friend Steve- I get the impression that it can only up from here,, is that right?   I am so impressed and humbled that you are able to stick with your program and be so aware of and avoiding your own stumbling blocks through this.   Well done!   I am going to jump in on the "one word" brainstorming a bit later. 

Last note...  this did take much longer than I thought...  several stops and starts .. and I did eat a good Whole30 breakfast after all!

Happy long weekend all!

Lynn 

Laurie, I'm glad to see you here today. I'm sorry Steve is having such a hard time right now. How wonderful, though that he has you, and that his bloodwork looks better and better.

Word of the month/year... intriguing. CC, what was your process for coming up with a word for the year? "Nourish" is just great! Did you take time, meditation, prayer, etc , or was it something that jumped into your mind fast? I love hearing about other peoples' creative thought processes. Thanks for letting us see so much of your journey from the inside.

a.

Got home around 2pm......easy flight, slept most of the way (the pilots probably did too). Kissed the wife and dogs and changed clothes. Weed whacked, mowed, started a few decoy orders, hooked up the boat (for today), showered, emptied my suitcase, put all of my stuff away, had some tuna and a salad and watched a movie with the family (Killing Lincoln...excellent).

Today we are going to the island and then taking the boat to a different island (Solomons) to meet my in-laws for dinner (Mom-in-laws birthday). I am meeting them by boat so that I can give them a boat ride and to continue to be the "best" son-in-law in the world (I've won this 21 years straight).

Pushups this morning with a short walk, then I jumped into the '66 Comet and ran errands. All loaded up and ready for some boating fun.

Today's chore is to clean walls, doors, handrails, and windows that get dirty from handprints (kids) and nose prints (dogs......hopefully not kids).

IN ADDITION.......I want everyone to do AT LEAST 15 squats, pushups, sit-ups. (Feel free to do all of them if you want....DONT OVERDO THIS! If these exercises are beyond your capabilities, try to do step ups on a step, stand and lift your knees up to your hips, or do arm raises........DO SOMETHING......or I will come back and yell at you until you cry...(probably not).

Laurie - tough times call for tough people. Forget how Steve looks and concentrate on the good things that are happening with his blood work. As long as the doctor's are confident that he is improving......forget the visual and go with the factual. Just because I am too heavy for my size doesn't mean that good things are happening inside of me, improving my health everyday. I forgot to mention (this is kind of a big deal)....the Stem Cell Family...are all trained ninja SEAL TEAM assassins! Yup.....they are in there kicking ass right now!

To everyone else (and the new people) hello, welcome, good job, you are doing great, hugs and love to all, Rick sorry about the missing colon, ........I will try to catch up with the reading over the weekend.

Dave

Chief - Thanks for always keeping it real.

The Known Unknown

Discover Hope

Don't Blame Yourself - Life isn't always fair

Find a New You - if your roles are defined by relationships, try to construct a new role

Celebrate What You Have

CC - thanks for sharing your story, it was so inspiring.

Win - you are an amazing journey and having folks like CC, Dave, Deb and Meadow to make it easier is a true win. When some of us started our first WW 5/5 we didn't quite have the "whole" picture so we got into quite a bit of trouble, but like CC said, once you stop trying to work around a rule or two and say...this is my program and I'm doing it their way, it's only 30 days...it works amazingly for most people.

Food is a powerful partner. I think for me too, the realization of how often food calms me...instead of nourishes me was a revelation.

Dave, as usual I get tired just hearing what you've done or are about to do in a day. I'm off to the gym where I'll squat, jump and lift weights...and if there happen to be a couple of hot guys to (not watch their hinnys) inspire me...so be it.

Okay kids, make it a great day. I'm completely out of food so will shop and cook this long weekend.

MamaMiki

Laurie,

I wish we could all be there to help you, but indeed this is for you to do. Our darling Steve has you in his corner and that will make a difference. Be strong and love him with all of your heart. Keeping yourself nourished mind, body and spirit is the key to having enough to share with him. You're doing great, keep up the good work!

MamaMiki

Joni (and Ann, too I think) Happy 30 days!  Give us the low down. What worked and what didn't? What would you do differently next time?

Dave, so glad you are back!!

This morning Rick and I went and did a lake swim. He did great! About 25 minutes for a half a mile I think. Same time for me, but closer to a mile. It was so good to get that checked off the list!

Rick made a request of me today - to do a condiment cook up before I go home Monday morning. He asks for so little, really :)

So today I've made ketchup, mayo, ranch dressing and another round of magic mushrooms. This time I used 1/3c salt instead of 2/3 cup.

I told him I'm off the clock for the rest of the day.

A little more about MY ONE WORD.  First, you usually do it for a whole year. Not that you can't do one a month, but I find sometimes it really takes a while to live into it. Last year my word was COURAGE, and I was all over it from January 1. Rick says I've really lived into NOURISH this year, but truth be told, that didn't start until 6/9 with all of you. That's just something to consider. I say, do what works for you!

How do I choose my word?  I think about/journal about what I need more of in my life.  Most people use the month of January to find their word. It always seems to come to me in the fall (for next year). Different life lessons just put it in my face. Last September I was thinking I needed more balance. And then nourish came to me. And I talked to a coach about it and she said "balance is an activity - keeping things balanced. Nourish is more about receiving." And it just seemed to fit.  If you have a few words you are thinking about you can look at synonyms, write our definitions and do all kinds of searches to pick what fits best. Once you choose, no changing!

During the year I look for experiences that will help me live out my word. It may be books that I read, or conferences that I go to, or people I connect with.  I keep a journal for the year so I see how it changed me over that time period. I post a lot of quotes on FB that have to do with the word. I had a COURAGE ring I wore all year to remind me of it. Now I wear baggy pants to remind me of NOURISH  ;)

I asked Rick to pop in and share his experience. Last year he chose DISCIPLINE. I would never choose that!  It's funny, people always want to give you a lot of feedback on your word. You have to tune it out. For instance, I keep thinking of RESTORE for Steve! But that's up to him.

I know that was lengthy, but I hope it was helpful!

Hello my fair friends,

What a great group of strivers and achievers. Way to go everyone, we are kicking butt here!!

Laurie, it must be so tough seeing someone you love in such a low state. I am glad to feel your strength shining through even in this tough situation. How is Steve's Mom doing? Poor Steve that he can't eat. That really sucks. You don't realize how much you value the ability to eat until it goes away. I will tell you my friends, that is a surefire cure for a lot of our heady stuff about food. I have been there. I hope the part where Steve starts to feel better is not far away and I agree with Dave that its wonderful that the Stem Cell Navy Seals are doing what they are supposed to do. Hang in there. 

Win - good to see you again. What an amazing list of positive victories!!! F-ing hellz yeah!! #gratituderocks

Stay with us! We are here. 

CC, thanks for sharing more of your story with us. It is always so interesting to fill in the blanks. Did you do Tough Mudder?? 

I love that you have taken the food side of this and gone all out with it. You have inspired me to make some more condiments today myself. I finally found a recipe for a halfway decent AIP mayo. It uses the infamous coconut manna! 

Lynn yum to your new provisions!!  Will be interested to see how you and cats fare with the A-fish!

Ann/Laurie if you guys are crafty folks, there are a lot of fun crafty online things to be done with "one little word"

(many that I have started with good intentions and errrr...not completed)

Here's one where it looks like they did a word a week - wow

http://onelittleword.typepad.com/word_up/

And theres:

http://oneword365.com/

http://myoneword.org/

That has inspired me to think about my word for this year. Last year it was "fun" which didn't exactly pan out. 

I think this year's is "faith" - not in a traditional religious sense but more like faith, trust, hope, surrender, everything is ok. 

In June I bought a ring that has the word "faith" on it and I wear it all the time. 

So thank you guys for bringing that to me! 

Dave, I would like to come to the island with you guys!

Joni - MANY congrats on Day 30 and Tiger Blood!! 

Miki Mik "food is a powerful partner"such wise words 

Nanny and Outdorsgrl, hope all is well. 

Meadow our Lily, Day 91!

Allright friends, out and into the world. Make it a great day and stay tuned for recipes for tomorrow's IOD - MELON!!!! Last summer fling! 

I was thinking about "One word" all day-  no particular choices yet but lots of thoughts churning.    

Another habit I have that helps me keep my intentions front and center is to make my password at work the letters from a phrase that is meaningful.  Since I have to type it so many times a day it is an easy reminder to myself.      Last month's was: 

FOWMM48-  "focus on what matters most" (this was leading up to my 48th birthday).  It reminded me that most of the important things were not actually at that keyboard -   I left on time for my workouts and made it home on time more often for dinner  because of it!  

Oh my gosh! CHOPPIN' BROCCOLI!! I love Dana Carvey. Higs - Rick didn't see if before. I made him watch it :)

We just got back from a little kayak excursion.  I told Rick tomorrow morning is coffee at 6am and kayak at 6:30!! I've been waiting all summer for this.

Dinner tonight was lemon chicken (although we used it yesterday, too) and the broccoli recipe with olive oil, thyme, garlic and lemon.

REALLY, REALLY good. And easy. Though they wanted you to cook it on the stove top and I baked it in the oven.

I love the password idea! I've heard that was a life changer for some folks. Pick a new movtivational password each month. I might try it!

Meadow, do you know of Jean Redpath? Best Scottish folk singer ever... old traditional ballads... oh, she was marvelous. I just learned that she died a few days ago, on August 21, and I've been listening to her sing (on YouTube) and weeping a little.

Thank you, that was very pretty.   You do know we have our own Braveheart...a Scot through and through...Deb.   Jean's style and the song reminded me of the "Red River Valley".   I looked it up and I believe it was written by a Scot.

RED RIVER VALLEY

From this valley they say you are going

We will miss your bright eyes and sweet smile

For they say you are taking the sunshine

That has brightened our path for a while

Come and sit by my side if you love me

Do not hasten to bid me adieu

But remember the Red River Valley

And the cowboy who loved you so true

Won't you think of the valley you're leaving

Oh how lonely, how sad it will be?

Oh think of the fond heart you're breaking