Had to ditch my second Whole30 for what??? FODMAP advice.

I'm at a loss for words. A little over a week ago, I had to stop my 2nd Whole30 for something.  Turns out it was a reaction to eggs (EGGS???  They fueled my very first Whole30 and the 29 days that followed that!).  I went on a myriad of medications to stop the diarrhea and nausea, all of which were noncompliant.  I am currently being tested for allergies to egg. This, and it's on top of my nightshade sensitivity and cherry allergy (anaphylactic shock for cherries, which I have never had an issue with.  Yay.).  My allergist still can't find out what is going on with me. 

Anyways, I cut out eggs and had a great few days until I ate coconut Thai soup (presumably it was the chile pepper in the ingredients) that made me ill all over again.  I went back on my meds to relieve the symptoms.  They really don't help, at least the antacids.  Zofran at least cut the nausea, while loperamide ceased the...well, you know.  I'm frustrated as all hell right now.  I chose not to continue this Whole30 until I can figure out what is going on.

How difficult is a FODMAP Whole30?  I'm trying to heal myself (at the same time, testing and working with my doctor more).  I've been doing a slight AIP anyways because of the nightshades (and eggs now), but if this turns out to be something like IBS-D, I need a healing plan fast. 

Who else is doing a FODMAP?  Can you let me know what for and how it's going for you?  TIA :)

~Frustrated!

I am doing a low FODMAP whole45, and its hard! To be honest though, with the nightshade sensitivity as well, you sound like you might be better off going full AIP for a while and see how you go. Tomatoes for instance, are low FODMAP.

I'm starting the low fodmap on the 1st so I can't comment on how hard it is yet.  I can only imagine how it's going to be learning to give up onions and garlic.  Onions at least I am already pretty sure make me very sick, and have my suspicions about pretty much everything else that is in grey on the low fodmap shopping list. 

It is tough, but it's doable. Good news - you don't have to stick to it forever and it gets MUCH better. I had shopping lists from whole30 for low FODMAP and AIP, cross referenced and was left with 3 vegetables. After short period of terror and despair I decided that it's still worth a try.

My best advice is:

1. Focus on what you can have even if you think that you are left with zucchinis and cucumbers only. Been there. There are more options than you think. 

2. Make an honest effort to eat super nutrient dense foods. By limiting certain vegetables you are depleting yourself from nutrients, so you have to try as hard as you can to nourish your body with food you can eat. I will turn on the broken record here - liver, oily fish and tons of broth. Broth has great stomach soothing properties. Fermented foods - sauerkraut (make your own, fun) or any other fermented veggies. Pickled carrots are amazing. I would avoid kombucha as you might be reacting to yeast too. If you can get kefir grains - make water kefir. Try making your own kvass - fermented vegetable juice. Get busy!  

2. Think about supplements. Enzymes or probiotics as well as fish oil and gelatin per se. Gelatin can help restore the stomach lining if you can't make broth. There are some fun ways to eat gelatin (tea jello for or fruit gummies). Google knows it all.  

When I did my first whole 30 I have discovered that I am reacting to eggs. I have never had anything like this before - upset stomach, crazy painful acne and other nasties. I have also discovered brutal reaction to nightshades and yeast. 1 year in - I started eating eggs again and I am 90% fine if I don't overdo it. I can eat tomatoes, but I will get mild reaction to peppers and everything derived from them. I can tolerate a lot of vegetables including the FODMAPs black listed. Caramelized onions - welcome back!  

If you need more advice/help - feel free to address it. Good luck. 

Thank you for feedback, everyone!  I'm awaiting to hear from my primary care doctor about the possibility of irritable bowel syndrome w/diarrhea.  My allergist said that it could be why I have these reactions.  It still won't explain why I get hives from most nightshades (including potatoes... I couldn't even go gluten free because of the potato starch/flour in gluten free flour mixes).  Tomatillos give me extremely chapped, cracked lips.  Very painful.  Tomatoes give me hives and gastrointestinal distress (I actually tested positive for a tomato allergy 2 1/2 years ago!  Now, there's no allergy in my blood or skin prick test recently!).  Eggplant,  peppers, etc. give me reflux and heartburn.  Eggs, well... you all just read that in my first post. 

Now, I am learning everyday that I'm reacting to other things outside of nightshades.  I am devastated to find out that I react to something in this wonderful beet ginger sauerkraut that I buy fresh from the farmer's market, maybe onions and garlic in my foods (I made an absolutely delicious 40 clove of garlic paleo sauce and felt sick afterwards... ugh. ). 

Leahcarn, well sauerkraut is fermented cabbage, which is a little bit different. The fermentation process "pre-digests" the vegetables and breaks down the fiber/sugars that cause issues with the FODMAP sensitive ppl. Moreover, fermentation makes nutrients more bioavailable and ready to absorb.It also contains microorganisms that have healing properties. I would definitely leave it in but find the tolerance level - it might be a teaspoon a day. Even the juice from sauerkraut can help. I personally never had problems with fermented cabbage but I can't eat it raw to this day. 

This is a tough one!  I do have some disruption when I eat my sauerkraut.... it's raw. 

My poor allergist is having a hay day with me.  My blood tests for eggs and cherries came back negative.  His suggestion?  I've got some funky form of histamine intolerance in which my body is making up it's own rules.  I am not allergic to, but react, to most of the items on the list  - whether it be hives, rash, reflux, diarrhea, fatigue, migraines, and allergies!  (The egg whites are a potent histamine liberator, which could explain why I can't eat a whole egg, but I can have yolk in mayo).  Cherries produce histamine during the ripening process, so that could be a possibility about my huge swollen and cracked lips (for days!) after I eat only 2.  Maybe I have reactions to other foods that are too mild to notice?

OR.... it's a salicylate sensitivity.  That would explain more of the nightshade intolerance and fruit, but not the eggs.

OMG, I'm going nuts with this.  Anything could also solve the issue with my mood.  I'm sure something I'm eating is affecting it.  I just don't know why I'm being socked with this all of a sudden! 

I'm so sorry to hear this KariannB,

I can only advice you to try VSL3, maybe L-Glutamine. I have had IBS-D for almost 5 years now and both helped me a lot. I'm also on the AIP-diet for 16 days now because of IBS and 2 Autoimmune diseases, so far, AIP has helped me so much with my IBS problems, so I would definitely advice you to try it and to also leave out anything else you know you are sensitive to. I hope I won't have to go the FODMAP way but a lot of people with IBS seem to have to. You can also find information about AIP in combination with FODMAP on www.thepaleomom.com and in the book "The Paleo Approach". Sarah Ballentyne (author of both) also has information on VSL3 and L-Glutamine.

Good luck and I hope you'll feel better soon!

Breathe. I hear you, I know this feeling of paralysis by analysis and despair that nothing will ever change. Mission 1 - calm down the gut for now. Pick foods that are safe and stick to eating them. Even if it's boring and bland as hell, power through.

You might want to read these articles about overcoming histamine sensitivities as well as what triggers them. Article 1 and article 2

Also, you might want to have a look at the GAPs diet. I am not advising you to combine whole30 and GAPs (it is doable though), nor I am promoting GAPS.  I am saying that if you are experiencing severe issues with your digestion it might be time to look at fixing them first without stress of compliance factor. GAPs diet was created as a temporary protocol for people with severe digestive issues. It has introduction phase which is a bit challenging but it helps to "seal" the gut lining = bring the inflammation down. The explanation they give (and it makes sense to me) that when our Di is inflammed the food is not broken down properly and being absorbed partially digested. It causes our immune system to react in a nasty way. The author of it says: "As long as the gut wall is damaged and stays damaged, you can be juggling your diet forever removing different foods and never get anywhere. Once the gut wall is healed, the foods will be digested properly before being absorbed, which will remove most food intolerances and allergies".

I must say that I've never  did  full protocol, but I have implemented a lot of the steps and concentrated on safe gut healing foods. I am glad I did, I see a lot of progress and a lot of my intolerances are gone. Good luck! 

Archived