September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

Thanks for the reply about the whole 30 plate.  I am trying to stick to it as much as I can, and I agree I definitely notice a difference of feeling more full and craving less with eating more protein.  

I made the chocolate chilli today and it was a hit with everyone.  My mom was over and added baked beans to her portion and ate it with a big white fluffy bun... ha! :)  

I have quite a rash on my arm tonight - do you think this has to do with detox at all? 

And anyone know why the bloating with everyone around this stage and how long it lasts?  It's a bit of a downer.  

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks booksandcoffee, that clarified things. I've been enjoying olives with my meals in addition to other fats & wanted to make sure I'm not over doing it.

Haha Jclayton79! Sweet potatoes ARE good other ways!

I had a hard day yesterday, traveling & not having compliant food handy. Ate a, most likely, not compliant dinner @ a rest. but made every effort to BE compliant. Felt a little uncomfortable for about a couple hrs. But am happy to say I woke up feeling good.

I'm not experiencing the bloating, but it could be all the greens I've had all week.

I'm back home & plan on cooking in the crockpot & also making the choc. chili everyone keeps talking about....yumm!

Day 9 it is!!

Good morning, all.

I am struggling a bit this morning.  I am SO bloated getting dressed for work was a struggle.  I am wearing what I call my pajama suit, which are j jill stretch separates I wore immediately after my pregnancy.  It's NOT cute.  I know I am not doing this purely for weight loss but it's really going to bum me out if I end up gaining weight during my Whole30. I also feel tired and headachy, which I thought I was past.  BLAH.  <_< 

PuffinsMuffins - I am with you 100%!  And I'm not doing this ONLY for weight loss, but that was a HUGE part of my motivation along with some of my other health stuff (migraines, digestion issues, acne.)  But today I had to wear some of my "fat clothes" because I can't fit into ANYTHING in my normal rotation (without looking horrid) and I'm very discouraged as well.  I am not even considering quitting though!  I committed to 30 days, and 30 days I will do!  Let's just hope this phase passes QUICKLY.

Puffinmuffins and Jordanbrook - I am so sorry to hear that you guys are going through such bloating.  This morning was the first morning that I felt a little bloated and I look back on what I ate, yesterday, and see that I was missing some of the foods that I know really help to clean me out. 

Do you have any such compliant foods that will help you as well?  Mine are lettuce / spinach and raw tomatoes (mostly the skin portion) and grapefruit.  If I stick with root veggies / broccoli / peppers / onions - I will be nice and full, but it tends to stay with me longer. 

I have been keeping a good rotation of the foods that I know are my go to foods to reduce the bloat and increase the fiber to help reduce that feeling. 

That and a LOT of water.   Of course, Dunkin Donut coffee really works for me, but that is off limit at the moment because I only want to enjoy it with a good shot of cream or creamers - LOL.  So I work with my others that work, but not as well as coffee. 

There is a major heat wave in Los Angeles right now.  Over 100 for the past couple of days and probably wont let up until Wednesday.  My little apartment does not have A/C - only a window unit and a fan- so it gets very very hot.  Last night the power went out.  It was out all night and still out this morning.  I could barely sleep and I was so hot and sweaty- despite taking 2 cold showers.  This makes me very grumpy. 

I forced myself to eat compliant for breakfast but I reached a point that I thought I would vomit if I had one more bite of my scramble.  I still feel hungry (or maybe it's just a craving?- I can't even tell right now.)  My willpower is weak right now.  I keep thinking that this is only Day 9.  So many more days to go.  And I am so tired of everything already. 

Right now just feels like the perfect storm for disaster because the heat/no power.  I didn't pack a lunch- only an apple, a banana and cashews.  I don't want to go to Chipotle because that made me feel crappy last time.  I just want everything to be over.  I can see why they say this is the hardest part.  I don't want to throw in the towel but I am so over this.

I am two days ahead of you all (I hope you don't mind I'm in this group even though I started Sept 6) and just want to say that I feel so good this morning - the last two days I felt crappy and gross and was sick of eating this food...but today I feel good - so hang in there!!!! 

Also wanted to say I am making that green bean recipe for breakfast and added lean back bacon (no sugar added) to it - I can't wait to eat it!! Looks so good.  Whoever said to skip on eggs for breakfast and try something else has really made my day!!  

I am still a bit bloated, but I am noticing that going away too.  

I bloated up so much this afternoon I had to tell 2 old ladies in the supermarket that I am not pregnant, just fat, and so am not due anytime soon ;(

I was feeling a bit pish but as I arrived home with a small boy and a shopping trolley, a van of young male gardeners drive past and one leaned out of the window and shouted "wow, you are one sexy mama".

So I felt a bit better.

• Administrators

I feel horreeeeble this morning also.  Migraine overnight, migraine hangover this morning, menstrual headache waiting in the wings, cramps inbound later today.  So...great.  Really just f*cking super.

The only thing that made me feel even one spark of hope was the fact that, this morning while making the dullest looking breakfast ever (sautéed cabbage, mushrooms, onions, mayo, previously cooked chicken and eggs...doesn't get much beige-er than that!), I really felt, to the bottom of my soul, that continuing to give myself good and nutritious food is the only way out of this shit show.

We can't go back.....because ice cream, wine and potato chips will NOT miraculously make us feel all better.  They just won't. 

Ladyshanny - I have a migraine too!  Feel awful and I have signed up for a spinning class tonight...

I had a good breakfast of poached eggs, roasted mushrooms and a roasted tomato (I need to roast tomatoes more often!) and some melon and mango and then I got asked to lunch by a coworker at a sushi place so I asked for a plate of sashimi (nothing else on the plate) - and I had been so proud of the lunch I brought! I need some veggies now though so maybe I'll eat my lunch a little later (roasted sweet potato, roasted zuchini and czech meatballs).

I am planning on making the turkey cranberry meatballs tonight from Well Fed..

I'm dreading the feel like crap want to quit days (although waiting for my poached eggs this morning almost did me in - donuts and waffles...I almost grabbed one off someone's table and made a run for it!)

how do people deal with going out?  Don't most places use canola oil?

Sorry to everyone not feeling so hot these days! I agree they are the hardest for me too. Everything seems blah and boring, and my work pants today are particularly tight and awkward. I agree with ladyshanny though that ice cream will not make me feel better! Between my whole30s I had ice cream every time I craved it.. which was almost every day, and EVERY time I felt crappy and got a belly ache after. So that tells me something. I'll still go back to it for special occasions but don't trust myself to know what those are yet. 

Big hugs to everyone struggling and keep using the forum for support! Here is something to brighten your day: 

storymaker-cutest-baby-animal-pics-12122

I looked very longingly at the ice cream, biscuit and chocolate sections in our premium supermarket today and a little voice did wonder if I could dive in head first and restart afterwards (typical disordered eating pattern).

But that's daft so I didn't....I'm roasting a chicken and planning mashed carrots with ghee instead ;)

Hey Guys,

I hear you all on the bloating and the migraines.  I don't get migraines but I do get pretty bad headaches.  I had one yesterday pretty much all day and it was horrid.  I also tried on my 'fat pants' (lol) and they still fit, but probably just a little looser than pre-whole30.  

For this week the fiance and I made a big pot of this amazing tomato bacon soup for breakfast and I am finding it surprisingly satisfying.  I should be at lunch right now but I'm not hungry.  For lunch, we made a batch of chicken apple salad from nomnompaleo.com which we serve on lettuce wraps.  I could not eat another salad for lunch this week, so this has been a nice change.  

One thing I've noticed is that my appetite has decreased significantly.  I eat a lot less per meal, and I'm not getting hungry at the usual times that I do.  I could probably go most of the day without eating and feel fine.  Anyone else? 

phantommeb - I totally agree!  I am almost never hungry anymore and for the most part have to force myself to eat every meal but dinner.  I definitely still crave things (bread being the biggest one - along with other non-compliant wheats like pita chips, etc) but since I can't reach for a bag of pita chips or a baguette, I realize I'm not ACTUALLY hungry.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to tell what my body was saying like they say you eventually will, but I feel like it's pretty clear to me already!  Now for all the bloating and headaches to stop!

Phantommeb, I'm not hungry either. I was just thinking about that today. I'm supposed to "wake up hungry" but it doesn't really happen, only get hungry before dinner because there's a big 7h gap between lunch and dinner.

Kerbi, those sweet cravings are so hard. I will say that this time round is much better and they have only happened once or twice. My first whole30 it was every meal and I satisfied them with fruit (lying myself and telling myself they were on plan).

I'm not hungry either...in fact left to my own devices and without the 3 meals a day templates I probably wouldn't bother.

I thought it was a return to the way I used to be when I'd forget to eat for days when in the grip of eating disorders but maybe it's part of whole30 after all ;)

I crave food for its emotional feelings and to feel a part of society again, not having to say no to a cake my friend baked for morning tea time or worry about how to say no to my little boy's school baking project and deflect trying it on to my mother...but I'm not really craving the foods themselves as such

I just decided to skip my spin class because I feel so bad (and suck up the money I just lost since you prepay - ouch) and go crawl into bed.  It will be a bad parenting night.

ladyshanny - I think I get a good amount of fat - I just think I crave sweets quite badly.  People are pretty shocked at my sugar intake when I tell them (since I'm not large), that's part of why I am doing this.  I usually eat dessert every single night after dinner, I think it's partially habitual and partially physical cravings.

Glad I'm not the only one!  I'm just now eating lunch and it's 4pm.  I also don't feel hungry upon waking so I usually eat breakfast at like 9am at work.  I figure it'll regulate itself...I don't want to force it too much because I develop some pretty strong aversions to food if I force myself to eat something when I don't want it.  That's what happened with eggs and gah I can barely think of them!  

I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who supported my concerns about getting through the weekend without drinking wine at my event. I brought a bottle for my friend, and honestly wasn't tempted at all to have any myself.  I was feeling so healthy and generally great I wouldn't even consider having to go back to day 1 just for a stupid glass of wine. ;)

Day 11 for me.  I'm psyched that it's 1/3 of the way through, but I'm on board with those of you who want to continue on after the 30 days. I am planning to continue through roughly the end of October.

I have followed the rules and not weighed myself at all, and I also don't see any changes in my body, which is surprising since I have cut out so many empty calories per day that I would normally be eating. And I've been training for a 1/2 marathon as well, so really thought I'd see some results in a week and a half, but hopefully it just takes the body a bit to adjust and then we'll see it all by the end?  Fingers crossed. ;)

Archived