Zero Interest in Food/Zero Appetite/Forcing Myself to Eat

EPeterson

OK, this is what it's been like from day 1; When I sit down to what looks like a lovely meal I can't eat it.  I have a few bites of protein, vegetable and the fat that goes with both, and sometimes a fruit and then I am DONE.  I can not make myself eat any more. 

This is my first Whole30, I'm a type-2 diabetic, over 300 lbs with normally a raging appetite and cravings.  I've been 100% compliant in the type of food I am eating from day 1, I just can't force myself to eat anywhere close to the amount recommended in the food plan. 

A typical days meal looks like this; breakfast; one small red potato oven roasted in 1 tbsp. coconut oil with 1/4 chopped onion, and one egg and (4) 1-inch cubes watermelon.  Lunch is 1 stalk celery with almond butter and 1 hard boiled egg.  Dinner, 1 sweet potato with ghee and cinnamon and 1 chicken leg pan fried in ghee.

I'm drinking lots of water, getting lots of rest, suspended my gym workouts for now, and I'm testing my blood glucose frequently and the numbers are very good. 

What is going on?

What day are you on? Is it that you're not hungry at all or that the food you've made isn't appealing to you? Are there things you normally like (burgers, meatballs, etc.) that you could make compliant?

You may need to just force yourself to eat more to help with hormonal regulation. You definitely need a lot more protein & veggies. 

OK, this is what it's been like from day 1; When I sit down to what looks like a lovely meal I can't eat it.  I have a few bites of protein, vegetable and the fat that goes with both, and sometimes a fruit and then I am DONE.  I can not make myself eat any more. 

This is my first Whole30, I'm a type-2 diabetic, over 300 lbs with normally a raging appetite and cravings.  I've been 100% compliant in the type of food I am eating from day 1, I just can't force myself to eat anywhere close to the amount recommended in the food plan. 

A typical days meal looks like this; breakfast; one small red potato oven roasted in 1 tbsp. coconut oil with 1/4 chopped onion, and one egg and (4) 1-inch cubes watermelon.  Lunch is 1 stalk celery with almond butter and 1 hard boiled egg.  Dinner, 1 sweet potato with ghee and cinnamon and 1 chicken leg pan fried in ghee.

I'm drinking lots of water, getting lots of rest, suspended my gym workouts for now, and I'm testing my blood glucose frequently and the numbers are very good. 

What is going on?

Do you take insulin shots or take the pills/meds?  Do you check your blood sugar every day?  Are you under a doctor's care at this particular time?

This is day 8.  It started day 1 though, really at the very first meal I was satiated after just a little bit of food and but it has steadily intensified.  I am making compliant meals from things I like normally such as meatballs, meat loaf, roast chicken, chili, and eggs, and fish.  I don't care for a lot of vegetables so I have not branched out as much as I had originally intended and instead I have stuck with favorites like red/white potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, onions, peppers, celery, spinach, cabbage and cucumbers.  I normally love fruit and am even having a tough time getting it down, so I've had 2 small servings a day of fruit; apples, grapes, blueberries, watermelon, pears.  I am eating whole food and almost 100% organic meat, vegetables and fruit.  Fats are coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, olives, walnuts, pecans and almond butter.  It's the right food but in very small quantities with no desire to eat.

I'm not insulin dependent, I take Metformin and Bydureon, but I've backed off my Bydureon for fear of hypoglycemia.  My blood glucose started noticeably coming down on day 1.  It's not too low, it's just right, and I am checking it frequently, 4-6 times per day.  Yes I am under a doctor's care and yes he knows I am doing the Whole30 and is in favor of it.

• Moderators

Hopefully a mod will weigh in if this is totally wrong, but maybe something you could try is to plate up a whole meal, matching the template -- a palm-sized portion of protein, 2-3 cups of veggies, and the appropriate amount of fat. Sit down and eat what you can. When you truly can't take another bite, wrap up the plate, put it in the fridge, and come back to it in 30 minutes or an hour. At that time, sit down, eat as much as you can, and when you can't eat any more, wrap it back up and stick it in the fridge. Repeat until it's all gone. Make an effort to get three plates of food in somehow throughout the day. Yes, you'll be eating more than three meals a day, which isn't ideal -- but the amounts you're eating now are not sufficient to sustain any amount of activity and I would think that's going to catch up to you soon.

I know for me, I've gone through periods of not wanting to eat. Sometimes it's food boredom, sometimes I think it's a bit of depression -- but one thing I've noticed is that if I keep not eating, I keep not wanting to eat. To get out of that cycle I have to make a conscious effort to eat meals that match the meal template, and once I've had a few meals that do match the template, I start to feel hungry when I'm supposed to again, and eating doesn't feel like such an effort. (And if you'd told me that there would be a time when I would not want to eat, I would have said you were crazy. I couldn't imagine such a thing.)

Thanks Shannon.  I hope a Moderator does chime in because what you're suggesting sounds impossible.  I am plating a fully compliant meal, but what I posted above is what actually gets eaten.  To keep bringing it out every 30 minutes would literally mean that I would be eating every 30 minutes all day long.  If I do that I will be even less hungry than I am now.  The only thing I can think of is to ride it out and hope that it improves.

Question...what you typed in your original post, is that what you are plating or what you actually are able to consume? If it is the former you have not even plated a fully compliant meal.

This is something you are going to probably just have to push through. What is your context pre-Whole30? What have been the biggest changes? 

I would suggest laying off the fruit entirely until you can eat a minimum template meal at all 3 meals. Fruit should never push vegetables or protein off your plate. Perhaps go for leaner cuts of meat and less dense cooked vegetables. This might mean limiting starchy vegetables to a single meal per day. You need to get your body used to volume and you need a lot of nutrients. I would encourage you to branch out and try some new things. Think of this as an eating adventure. I would also lay off of nuts and nut butters for fat sources as they can cause bloating for a lot of people. 

It is hard to actually trust your hunger signals when your hormones are readjusting. I would keep trying to get your full meals in. I do often recommend creating the template meal and saving the leftovers for a mini meal for later if you just can't finish it. 

Hi There,

Sorry to hear that you are having troubles.

Okay - lay off the nuts and nut butters.  Really.  They might be causing you more problems than you think.  Yes they are a compliant fat source but they are not an ideal fat source.

Try adding some bone broth based soups in.  They will may help in settling your tummy and start getting your hunger signals going properly. Nom nom paleo's Carrot Cardomom is good. Well Fed's Silky Ginger Zucchini soup, and Bacon Sweet Potato (hint I crisp up proscuito instead of bacon as I can't find compliant bacon)

Listen I am all for starchy veggies.  I love them.  And I generally make recomendation for starchy veggies when people are feeling sluggish and low energy.  But when I see that there isn't much branching away from potatoes or sweet potatoes - I worry a little.  Try to keep the starchy veg to only one meal a day for now.  If you are pre-menstrual (generally a week before your period) - then go for it - add starchy veg. 

Are you able to make a list of what other veggies might interest you?

Kale - Awesome sauted with a bit of bacon crumbled over top.  I grew up loving kale.  Why?  This is my ultimate favourite comfort food:  Boren Kool:Put a layer of hunks of potato on a bottom of pan. Wash and chop your kale and put it on top.  If you can find some compliant german or polish type (cooked) sausage (make sure to poke holes in it with a fork in order to release some of the juices into the kale& potatoes when it cooks), put it on top of the kale. Pour about 1.5 to 2 incles of water in the bottom of the pan.  Bring it to a boil, then simmer until potatoes are cooked.  Pull out the sausages.  Then mash the kale and potatoes together.  It's generally served with homemade gravy.  But I have yet to try to replilcate my mom's homemade gravy.  Sometimes I'll drizzle oil over top, or sometimes put ghee. 

Broccoli - I love oven roasted broccoli.  Oven roasted cauliflower is pretty awesome too! -

Asparagus - Again with the oven roasting - compliant fat or oil + salt and pepper, and garlic powder.

This is day 8.  It started day 1 though, really at the very first meal I was satiated after just a little bit of food and but it has steadily intensified.  I am making compliant meals from things I like normally such as meatballs, meat loaf, roast chicken, chili, and eggs, and fish.  I don't care for a lot of vegetables so I have not branched out as much as I had originally intended and instead I have stuck with favorites like red/white potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, onions, peppers, celery, spinach, cabbage and cucumbers.  I normally love fruit and am even having a tough time getting it down, so I've had 2 small servings a day of fruit; apples, grapes, blueberries, watermelon, pears.  I am eating whole food and almost 100% organic meat, vegetables and fruit.  Fats are coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, olives, walnuts, pecans and almond butter.  It's the right food but in very small quantities with no desire to eat.

I'm not insulin dependent, I take Metformin and Bydureon, but I've backed off my Bydureon for fear of hypoglycemia.  My blood glucose started noticeably coming down on day 1.  It's not too low, it's just right, and I am checking it frequently, 4-6 times per day.  Yes I am under a doctor's care and yes he knows I am doing the Whole30 and is in favor of it.

That's great.  Stick with it and I hope you'll feel better soon.   It may take longer than 30 days to arrive at consistent good numbers.  It did for me.   I'm glad your doctor is on board, that sure helps.

Thanks everyone.  Yes I am plating a full compliant meal, what was indicated above is what I am typically able to consume.  I'm also eating more vegetables than just potatoes.   I'm also having tomatoes, spinach, onions, carrots, celery, lettuce, and cucumber, broccoli and mushrooms.  I'm not eating nuts or nut butters every day, and only 1-2 small servings of fruit per day, it's not taking the place of protein or vegetables, I'm having to force myself to eat fruit as well.

Prior to Whole30 I was a sugar/carb-aholic with lots of sweets, cake, candy, ice cream, soda, pie, cookies and also salty carbs like pretzels and chips.

The reason I'm saying skip the fruit for a few days is because it is more important that you eat full servings of protein, fat, and vegetables so rather than forcing yourself to eat fruit just skip it entirely until you can get a full template meal without it. Does that make sense? It sounds like this is part of your adjustment from being a sugar burner to being a fat burner. Your body is used to having quick digesting foods as it's primary source of energy and it might take a while for it to catch up and realize you are not going to do that anymore. Hang in there and try some of the adjustments we have suggested at least until you can do 3 template meals a day.

Sorry to highjack, but Carlacinni - my mom is from Friesland and you just described one of her favorite meals. She and her family flavor it with VINEGAR. ugh.

(I have the opposite experience of you...I was exposed to that meal many times as a kid and it totally turned me off kale. It has only been in the last couple of years that I could bear to reintroduce it).

Yes, Shannon, I am feeling better.  (thanks for caring :)  

After 9 days I went off the Whole30.  I am eating more balanced and my energy returned pretty quickly (the next day).  My appetite is still somewhat reduced but at least I can eat without feeling like I am going to be sick.  I lost almost 15 lbs in 9 days on the Whole30, (I weighed myself the day after, once I decided to end it).   I will attempt another Whole30 again in the future, and meanwhile move away from my previous diet of a lot of refined carbs and towards a more Paleo focused approach.   

Archived