Life after 30 days: Continuing weight loss with cheat meals

gcerami

Hi everyone!

I have recently completed my first whole30! It felt good to accomplish something like this for me, with previous history of binging on gluten, dairy and lots of sugar usually around once a week. Besides these binges, I have always maintained a healthy diet with paleo friendly foods, so the whole30 was not TOO difficult for me to take on (even though I obviously still had my challenges). Because of this lifestyle I have, I did not notice too many drastic changes after these 30 days. I lost a few pounds, learned how to cook some awesome meals, and mostly feel better about myself for not binging (which was worth it for me). BUT my primary goal was to lose weight, which is something I want to continue doing since I have not reach my goal weight. I have always been a little overweight and just want to lose enough to be at an average size for my body type... nothing drastic. I was a little disapointed that I did not drop pounds like other people said they did, but I am not completely discouraged and would like to continue a paleo lifestyle.  

My biggest question is that as a 22 year-old who just started living in a city, I would like to be able to go out with friends and occasionally enjoy some drinks and maybe even a few pieces of cheese (my favorite food of all time) here and there. I understand that the concept of the whole30 was there if you were to cheat, you would ruin the healing process in your body. I am worried that if I stay whole30 compliant for 80 percent of the time (same meal sizes, no snacking, etc) and then eat/drink something with sugar or dairy like alcohol or cheese I will not have any success continuing my weight loss. Will this totally mess up everything I have been working for? (restating my question) Is the whole30 an all or nothing type approach in terms of losing weight or is that mostly for other health issues? Should I continue eating 3 large meals with lots of fat and protein and no snacks, even after adding some cheat meals or is it pointless?

Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you all in advance :)

• Moderators

There is no such thing as a cheat meal for Whole30 people. You eat anything that you want to eat. It is not cheating. 

If you eat Whole30-style most of the time and go off road occasionally, you are likely to experience great health (at least as far as the difference food makes in your health). If your going off-road includes foods that are a problem for you, that will be an issue. However, if cheese does not cause you problems and you eat some cheese every once in a while, you will be fine. You can have a beer, eat ice cream, etc. occasionally and be fine unless one of these items causes special trouble for you. 

Off-roading and staying healthy works if off-roading really is a minor thing... occasionally. If you ate cheese as your meal 4 times per week (that would be roughly 20 percent of your 21 meals per week), you would suffer health consequences. If you eat a piece of cheese once or twice per week, three times while on vacation, you would be fine. 

Lots of people talk about eating 80/20. They mean they follow a Paleo or Whole30 plan 80 percent of the time and indulge 20 percent of the time. I like to break that up into number of meals to make a point. 80/20 is close to 17 meals composed of real, whole, nourishing, non-inflammatory foods and 4 meals composed of foods that spike insulin, disturb gut health, provoke inflammation, etc. You really can't handle 4 meals per week of problem foods, but you can eat a bit of anything you want a few times per week and do well. 

Okay here's my two cents for what it's worth.  Keep in mind that I'm me and you are you.  So my reaction is not going to be your reaction.  But you definietly should do proper re-intros to see how your body reacts.

I have been eating whole 30/paleo for the last 2 years.  I have discovered that I do best (healthwise and weight wise) sticking as close to the template as possible.  My offroading "rules" have made many changes over the past months.  I have things on my worth list and things that are not worth it.  Dairy has very rare moments that it is worth it for me.  That being said when I am off roading I am not going to stress about what I eat at other people's houses (If it contains dairy I politely decline it) If I am out at a restaurant, I try to make better choices.  Reliazing that either I accept my face breaking out in roseacea form after having beer and a burger and it will pass, or I could just drink sparkling water and be perfectly happy with a bunless burger.  After you do re-intros the choice will always be up to you on what is "worth it" and what isn't.

Cheese might be worth it to you.  For me - it's not.  And FYI - I used to love cheese and ice cream.

Is the whole30 an all or nothing type approach in terms of losing weight

Should I continue eating 3 large meals with lots of fat and protein and no snacks, even after adding some cheat meals or is it pointless?

Seeing you use words like "all or nothing" and "pointless" make me a bit nervous for you!  Please, whatever you do -- do NOT stray completely from the Whole 30 lifestyle, because you think you aren't doing it right, or that it doesn't matter anymore.  It does matter.

Both of the above responses are great.  If you keep your head on straight, make these things occasional, and they don't lead you to a full-on binge -- yes, of course you can still enjoy the benefits of improved health and continued weight loss.  You just have to find what works for YOU -- and what doesn't.  

Did you do proper re-intros, to see what foods are problematic for you?  As Carlaccini has pointed out, there are some foods that just plain lose their appeal once you know for a fact, without a doubt, that they cause you issues you'd rather live without.  Making these connections at the age of 22 would be so beneficial for you -- rather than suffering through symptoms for another 10, 20, 30 years, etc. like many of us here have done.

It took the 4 months off roading between my first and second whole 30, plus this one to figure some things out. My issue was I got really confusing answers during my reintro period making me think I reacted to certain foods, but I wasn't sure, so I kept eating them to figure it out, and then didn't react to them and then I just kind of veered completely off course. I got on a second one hoping I could test everything properly again, but continued to have the symptoms I was having before while still on the whole 30, and it made me realize it had nothing to do with the food I was eating and everything with my hormones being wonky from the fact I've been either pregnant/breastfeeding/both for 5+ years straight and I'm getting into my late 30's. So anyway this time I'm not going to reintro anything, I'm just going to eat what I want when it comes up. Like cupcakes at my birthday, a meal at a wedding, Thanksgiving, ect. My second whole 30 really was nice because I didn't really have to think about food nearly as much, and I like how template meals keep me full longer. I'm too busy to be eating every few hours, or be obsessing about food, so I want to just keep eating this way so I can do other things.

Archived